• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secondarys?

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
I main DK now, he was my secondary but Im switching to maining him. I have alot more fun with him

Im just wondering what you guys think are some good secondarys to pick up to help matchups? what are some characters that **** DK

Falco, Pikachu, Pit, Toon Link, Zero Suit Samus, Dedede all seem real tough IMO. What else do you guys think are hard matchups?

I'm looking to have a max of three secondarys. And I'd like if possible for the secondary could counter multiple hard matchups

Thanks fellow DK mains

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I use Fox, Falco and Sheik/Zelda with DK.

Pretty much covers up any bad matchup for DK (especially having Falco around).

MetaKnight and Snake are probably the best choices (looking at tournament results). They're beastly and pretty easy to use.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
I would say that Rob would make a good secondary, with his projectile game, and hes definitely much better off against gimpy opponents. DK tends to have some issues there since he has terrible horizontal recovery.

I also guess I am in the same boat you are now, since I about half main DK now. I might switch over to using him most of the time though.

Prevail

Smash Apprentice
Obviously, there are quite a few good secondaries that DK can have to back him up.

In my opinion, you'll want someone that can at least cover Falco, Pikachu, Toon Link, and DeDeDe.

Here is a list of the top 5 characters that I think suits these match-ups:

Snake- He's a very versatile character who does well in most match-ups (except for Pikachu in this case). I sometimes use Snake, but I've recently lost interest in him. =(

Pikachu- He is a very well-rounded character who does well in a variety of match-ups... 'nuff said. =)

MetaKnight- He's extremely quick and tough to punish, making him a great pick for a secondary. MK should be able to handle all or most of DK's poor match-ups.

Diddy- My personal choice for a secondary, Diddy is agile and quick. He does have trouble with some of DK's bad match-ups (mainly Falco), but he is able to manage a little better than DK. Another plus is that he's a large part of the DK series.

Falco- He seems to do very well in most of his match-ups. He's also a solid choice in my opinion.

So, those are my thoughts (from a competitive stand-point) on DK's secondaries. Most of the characters that I chose tend to do well in the majority of their match-ups. Also, I realize that other characters may be equally or better suited to be secondaries, but these are just my thoughts.

I hope that I helped, and I'm interested to hear some more thoughts on this subject.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
When you come to think of it, Snake is probably the best choice.

He's basically a better version of DK. I mean, they both are heavy, they kill at low %, they have good range and priority, so forth.

Whenever I use Snake, I feel as if I'm using DK with but with grenades lol

Main problem is that Snake has trouble with Falco and Fox, like DK. If you don't care about how similar your secondary feels, then I guess go with Metaknight, Mr. Game and Watch, or Falco since that will take care of any matchup.

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
Yeah Im going to second Metaknight, I think he'd be good to be good with and can basically handle a ton of the badmatchups. Is there anything using Dk and Metaknight that I should be worried about matchup wise?

TierWhore

Smash Journeyman
Just FYE, bum seconds fox, he says that it covers just about all bad matchups, but especially DDD i believe

ook

Smash Lord
I use Captain Falcon, but just because I like him and he's always been my secondary guy. I don't think he would really be the most useful for a DK main though, since he pretty much has similar moves and weaknesses (no projectile, good bair and up-air, sweet bpunch, a spike or two).

One of the characters the other guys mentioned would probably be a smarter, more useful choice. But Captain Falcon is just so fun to play. And that's the same reason I chose DK.

pKNeM

Smash Cadet
Eh, if switching play-styles isn't an issue for your secondary I tend to find that ROB works fairly well along with DK. They play extremely differently however so its a change of pace to get used to both. However the drastic differences I find compensate for many of each other's weaknesses. Just my 2 cents.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I've been toying around with ROB as my secondary. The matches I have trouble with are mainly DK vs. DDD, Falco, and Olimar. ROB does fairly well in those matchups. I"m also looking at Falco as well, and I play some Snake too.

Top Bottom