• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secondary Main with Marth?

gittyking

Smash Rookie
I picked up Marth in Smash 4 and he is really fun. I decided to use him as my main, but I also need a secondary main (not Lucina). I want a character that I can pick for Marth's bad matchups, r less than ideal matchups, who would ideally play similarly to marth. I tried some ZSS and I thought she and Marth seemed pretty similar with their mid range zoning and switching between aggressive and defensive play. I have messed around with Luigi, Falco, Peach, Sheik, Toon Link, Ness, Fox, and I'm decent with them, but I'm also open to trying completely new characters.

Also: What do you guys main along with Marth? Is Marth the only character for you? Maybe all the marth mains have the same secondary for one reason or another. Thanks.
You disgust me.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
In my opinion choosing a character who not only covers your main's bad MUs and weaknesses in the best way to go when choosing a secondary. I have seen people secondary characters with a similar play style to their main, but I don't really think that is a good idea. As you can see I main Marth and second Falcon who plays very different from Marth. Using a character with a similar play style to your main is bad because they will most likely have a tough time against the same play style your main has. Marth does not do well against projectiles so using a character who can just rush those types of character, or using a character who can reflect or use there own projectiles against them would be good choices. If I had to recommend one specific character to secondary I would have to say Captain Falcon is your best choice in my own biased opinion. Mainly because he covers a lot of Marth's bad MUs and his weaknesses, and he is definitely one of the most fun characters to play as in this game.

LIVERPOOP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MartinSkrtel37
3DS FC
0130-1906-5039
Toon Link is my second. It's very fun being able to change to a projectile character if you need. I'm not the greatest player but I'm smart so I love the mind games associated with his items. I definitely need to work on KO though as I frequently get them over 100%...

anas abou

Smash Journeyman
-either pit or dark pit as they both play quit similarly to each other and marth/lucina and offer an easy transition.
-even though they suffer some of the same problems as marth/lucina they will make some matchups easier because of their slightly more varied options(still misses counter:urg:) .
-nuff said.

Last edited:

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
I main Sheik and Marth is my secondary. I'm also trying to learn/learning ZSS right now. Although to be honest I consider myself a solo Sheik main atm because I simply won't use Marth or ZSS in a tournament (ZSS at least for now; I don't think I'll seriously consider going Marth in a serious tournament ever tbh) because my Sheik is on a whole different level since I've been playing her since the 3DS version and I spend a lot of time in the lab and practicing different MUs and knowing her percents, set ups, combos and whatnot, and haven't been doing the same with the other characters, so yeah.

Marth really struggles against zoning characters and Sheik has a good matchup against them, so there's that.

Last edited:

Roy_Leif

Smash Rookie
I main marth in Wii U, and I use Sonic as a secondary.Haven't tried it competetively yet, but it works well in my casual play with friends.

Jpot

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jpot93
I'm in the process of picking up Marth as a secondary for Falco, and it seems like it's working out so far. Falco can handle Marth's bad zoning options pretty well, and Marth can at least match up about 50/50 with Rosaluma, who destroys Falco utterly.

Shrooms2090

Smash Rookie
NNID
Emilio02
I personally think it depends on what type of playstyle you use with Marth, because it can go either way. I have Dr. Mario and Captain Falcon for me as a defensive player. But if your a completely aggro Marth with a reliance on pressure, I recommend a zoning character or a really solid mind game based character. Some choices could be megaman, falco, or even Peach!

Jpot

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jpot93
I personally think it depends on what type of playstyle you use with Marth, because it can go either way. I have Dr. Mario and Captain Falcon for me as a defensive player. But if your a completely aggro Marth with a reliance on pressure, I recommend a zoning character or a really solid mind game based character. Some choices could be megaman, falco, or even Peach!
I seem to do better with Marth when I'm able to apply a lot of pressure, especially of the aerial variety. I won a tournament set for the first time yesterday with Marth at Kings of Kzoo III, so it's not going too badly! I'm actually considering picking up Peach too, she really interests me, and from what I've heard she's pretty good in this game.

Last edited:

Shrooms2090

Smash Rookie
NNID
Emilio02
I seem to do better with Marth when I'm able to apply a lot of pressure, especially of the aerial variety. I won a tournament set for the first time yesterday with Marth at Kings of Kzoo III, so it's not going too badly! I'm actually considering picking up Peach too, she really interests me, and from what I've heard she's pretty good in this game.
Congratulations on your tournament win!

I believe that Robin and possibly ganondorf could be a secondary as well

Akira213

Smash Cadet
I've rotated quite a bit on a secondary. I played Jiggs for awhile, Sheik, Pikachu, and Luigi. With the new patch though I think Ryu has a lot to like if you enjoy Marth, he is also pretty focused on playing the footsies game which I guess just means they did a good job of accurately bringing over his style from SF.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
I've been using Roy a lot recently and I feel like he's a really good secondary. He's like the polar opposite of Marth.

Admiral_Dante

Smash Apprentice
SECONDARY NO LONGER REQUIRED!!!!
Seriously though, after sticking it out with Marth and with these last couple buffs, I really don't think he's that bad. If you grind out his tough matchups, get used to the game mechanics, and practice with intent, you can beat a lot of the cast. Still struggling with faster characters like sheik/sonic, but they're not as bad as I initially thought. The only thing that sucks is that I have friends that still tell me that Marth isn't good enough and i'm "limiting myself" or even "wasting my time" with him. Yeah, they can eat tippers to the face. :smash:

Kulty

Smash Ace
Like the others said, from my Marth experience, I would pick someone who destroys zoning characters. So imo, characters that are immune to zoning and has tools to deal with these kind of characters are:4sheik::4darkpit::4diddy::4fox::4lucas::4mario::4ness::4palutena::4pit::4pikachu::4sonic::4villager:. Personally I would pick either:4fox:or:4mario:, but that's just my personal experience.

gByron

Smash Cadet
I didnt lose my hope in the hero king but I now find roy incredibly fun. I sometimes switch to my rushdown character which is pikachu.

Spc2799

Smash Cadet
NNID
Spc2799
Personally I use Robin as my secondary as he's a perfect compliment to Marth's play style. He's a great compliment and also doesn't overshadow your Marth like a top tier would. It also helps that I'm a huge Fire Emblem fan haha.

DariusM27

Smash Ace
My main is Marth. My secondary is Marth. Lol.

I've used and am good with others.

I'd rather take a loss with Marth than a win with someone else. Idk why, lol. But to answer the question, I'd say Pikachu and Sheik are the best choices, unless you really like zss better. All about preference.

Drexxin

Smash Cadet
I'm currently trying out Mario as a secondary to deal with characters I have issues approaching, but I still find myself thinking there's something I could be doing better on Marth to where I simply keep using him into all matchups. :X

Still, I agree with covering weaknesses instead of finding another character with the same playstyle and holes in their kits. I think I might tone down my stubborn attitude on sticking with Marth into every single matchup after some frustrating defeats at a recent local that were almost entirely down to being counterpicked, though. :p

DariusM27

Smash Ace
I'm currently trying out Mario as a secondary to deal with characters I have issues approaching, but I still find myself thinking there's something I could be doing better on Marth to where I simply keep using him into all matchups. :X

Still, I agree with covering weaknesses instead of finding another character with the same playstyle and holes in their kits. I think I might tone down my stubborn attitude on sticking with Marth into every single matchup after some frustrating defeats at a recent local that were almost entirely down to being counterpicked, though. :p
With approaching, try airdodging through them and reverse dancing blade.

Top Bottom