• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secondary Main with Marth?

IPoD Max

Smash Rookie
I picked up Marth in Smash 4 and he is really fun. I decided to use him as my main, but I also need a secondary main (not Lucina). I want a character that I can pick for Marth's bad matchups, r less than ideal matchups, who would ideally play similarly to marth. I tried some ZSS and I thought she and Marth seemed pretty similar with their mid range zoning and switching between aggressive and defensive play. I have messed around with Luigi, Falco, Peach, Sheik, Toon Link, Ness, Fox, and I'm decent with them, but I'm also open to trying completely new characters.

Also: What do you guys main along with Marth? Is Marth the only character for you? Maybe all the marth mains have the same secondary for one reason or another. Thanks.

dizney

Smash Cadet
NNID
mdizney
I don't know about anyone else, but my secondaries are Fox, Jiggly, and Diddy (had to learn for those Diddy mirrors) and I've been toying around with Falco. I'd say Fox is the best out the four I use to cover most of my bad match ups with Marth (such as projectile spam).

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Personally, Marth is more a secondary for me with Peach as a main, but that's me. :p.
Sheik's da bess secondary if you wanna win, but Zamus is indeed the closest to Pre-Smash 4 Marth, IMPO, while still being viable. Shulk is actually another option since his FAir is now more like Marth's but he also has a learning curve due to the Monado Arts.

Akira213

Smash Cadet
Up till Smash 4 Marth had been my secondary to Ice Climbers so now that he's inherited the role of my main I'm also exploring options for secondaries. Easy choices are a pocket Diddy/Sheik. Personally I'm currently experimenting with Jigglypuff and Luigi. I'm not an expert on Luigi but the more I play him the more I'm beginning to think he might potentially be top 10 material.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
It seems Jigglypuff might be a popular secondary, because aside from both mentions here, I also main Jigglypuff along with Marth.

I believe Villager is also good for Marth as a complement, because he has projectiles, and his game overall does what Marth doesn't, and vice versa.

Tattles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Goldbit
I believe Villager is also good for Marth as a complement, because he has projectiles, and his game overall does what Marth doesn't, and vice versa.
I think that, similarly, Robin is also a very good option.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I think that, similarly, Robin is also a very good option.
I don't use Robin, but I wouldn't be surprised, as he has projectiles in his arsenal, something Marth lacks. (and suffers from XP)

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
I've got Mario and a couple of other characters I can count on to get the job done, but usually if I'm stuck with a bad MU, I much prefer to learn how to fight it rather than counterpick it. Win or lose, I won't be able to advance further with Marth if I run to a secondary to finish the job all the time. Not to say that the practice of secondaries are wrong or anything, and I encourage people to have multiple characters in their pocket for cases when you need them. But if I can help it, I'd rather face every MU with Marth and learn to deal with all of them.

But for your question, Shiek will cover all of your other MUs Marth can't handle as well (may as well be near all of the ones Marth can do fine on his own xD). Speed characters in general will help even out the MUs you deal with, so picking one and going with them ought to balance out the spacing style of Marth.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I've got Mario and a couple of other characters I can count on to get the job done, but usually if I'm stuck with a bad MU, I much prefer to learn how to fight it rather than counterpick it. Win or lose, I won't be able to advance further with Marth if I run to a secondary to finish the job all the time. Not to say that the practice of secondaries are wrong or anything, and I encourage people to have multiple characters in their pocket for cases when you need them. But if I can help it, I'd rather face every MU with Marth and learn to deal with all of them.

But for your question, Shiek will cover all of your other MUs Marth can't handle as well (may as well be near all of the ones Marth can do fine on his own xD). Speed characters in general will help even out the MUs you deal with, so picking one and going with them ought to balance out the spacing style of Marth.
That's the spirit ;D

Now how the hell do you fight a Megaman with Marth? ;-;

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
That's the spirit ;D

Now how the hell do you fight a Megaman with Marth? ;-;
Get in and pressure the living daylights out of him xD Either running/walking (which is a light jog for Marth) cancel shielding to get closer, then give them no room to do anything with your attacks. At least, that's the general strategy I go for when I face my friend's Megaman, whose fairly decent with him.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Get in and pressure the living daylights out of him xD Either running/walking (which is a light jog for Marth) cancel shielding to get closer, then give them no room to do anything with your attacks. At least, that's the general strategy I go for when I face my friend's Megaman, whose fairly decent with him.
Alright...I'll try that. Yeah, walking and shielding might be the way to go.

Bullys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bullys23
Still planning on maining Marth on Wii U (I am still locked on 3DS until xmas).

Secondary wise, I've not fully decided. I've always been from the camp of until I am perfectly comfortable on my main I'll not play an alt (secondary).

But likely when I pick my secondary I'll look at two things: What are marths bad matchups, and what character do I like that fits into that category (right now I I kind of want to play one of the space animals, shiek or ZSS though)

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Still planning on maining Marth on Wii U (I am still locked on 3DS until xmas).

Secondary wise, I've not fully decided. I've always been from the camp of until I am perfectly comfortable on my main I'll not play an alt (secondary).

But likely when I pick my secondary I'll look at two things: What are marths bad matchups, and what character do I like that fits into that category (right now I I kind of want to play one of the space animals, shiek or ZSS though)
Sheik is never a bad option to learn.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Okay

Sheik or Diddy: very good characters, beat a lot of characters hard with their tools, good pocket for everybody. You may come to main these secondaries instead.
Ness, slightly less so, but a spacing character with a killer back throw, isn't very strenuous like marth is throughout a tournament day, and they can have good results vs diddy and sheik.
Pikachu is potentially a winning match up against both Sheik and Diddy, this is quite crazy, this character is a bit of a paradoxical presence, a lot harder to play than the aforementioned but can definitely win against them... kinda a perfect pick to secondary as Marth that isn't mainstream / takes skill and has better tools than say Ness (who as I said, is probably more of just an 'easier time progressing' character' for you if you're that type of player) against those two top tiers.

Okay otherwise:
Lucario, Mario, Jigglypuff, Pit, ZSS: Can kinda go toe to toe with sheik and diddy but aren't necessarily beating them, their risks are either extreme or they're kinda just a cut behind them but with similar tools.
Lucario, Mario and Pit kinda have a similar play style or pattern to Marth, arguably achieving some things better/safer but may not get the consistency of rewards you may achieve as a Marth main (that's how I feel at this point, I'm putting time into Lucario the most but a bit of just about everybody).

Jiggs/ZSS have their own game plans that they can use to succeed. ZSS has the weakness of no grab, Jiggs weight. If you can play around those I've seen and I believe those characters can succeed against sheik/diddy and other match ups, but not necessarily every match up.

Last edited:

Snailtopus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JoeySnail
Jigglypuff is a popular secondary it seems, but does she really cover Marth's bad matchups that well? I feel that both would have problems with DHD, Wii Fit Trainer, and I guess anyone else fast with projectiles. I'be been trying to use Mega Man as a secondary to cover matchups I hate as Marth.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Jigglypuff is a popular secondary it seems, but does she really cover Marth's bad matchups that well? I feel that both would have problems with DHD, Wii Fit Trainer, and I guess anyone else fast with projectiles. I'be been trying to use Mega Man as a secondary to cover matchups I hate as Marth.
Jiggly often floats over most projectiles.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I have been mostly using Duck Hunt at the moment. He helps me deal against the match-ups I have difficulty with. The completely different play-style that you bring to the table with this character can catch people off guard in a counter pick situation in tournaments. I do believe there are better options as secondary characters. Such as those @ Shaya Shaya mentioned. In terms of characters with similar play styles as Marth, Lucario would be someone to test out.

TheCandyman

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3866-8591-8094
ZSS would be very good. I am a Marth main myself (in other games though) and when I picked up Sm4sh Marth he felt severely nerfed and made a very easy transition to ZSS and then to Sheik. So I would definitely suggest ZSS

Reynith

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1950-9310-5788
I fell in love with Sheik after I saw Bouncing Fish and it's usefulness. I play very patiently with Marth most of the time so someone like Sheik is a good way for me to change things up a notch.

I'm also learning Robin just for fun because... well I love Fire Emblem Awakening. LOL xD He's a tad slow though(that ledge attack looks so pathetic but funny at the same time)

ESAM is one of my favorite Smash players. I just love what he does with Pikachu sometimes especially with some of his plays in Sky's Invitational. I think Pikachu is a solid character that will be a good secondary as well.

Bullys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bullys23
Sheik is never a bad option to learn.
I've spent a bit of time on her on the 3ds but I've focused like 90% of my time on Marth.

When I get my Wii u next week and comfortable with marth i do think I'll grab her.

I actually have spent a bit of time on captain falcon so that was a temptation. Maybe in a few months for him.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I've spent a bit of time on her on the 3ds but I've focused like 90% of my time on Marth.

When I get my Wii u next week and comfortable with marth i do think I'll grab her.

I actually have spent a bit of time on captain falcon so that was a temptation. Maybe in a few months for him.
Captain Falcon is never a bad option.

He's glorious =P

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Sonic is my secondary.

I'd say sheik is a good one to pick up.

HeoandReo

Smash Apprentice
I use both Marth and Lucy, but have quite a few other pocket characters to supplement them.

Out of the ones that I use, I've been having really good overall synergy with Wario, since he can deal with long-range zoning that my Marth/Lucina have trouble with either by eating projectiles or biking through them. He has a lot of strengths that Marth/Lucina don't have, (good recovery, great mobility, weight) but also some weaknesses that Marth/Lucina can cover. (no disjoint meaning somewhat poor range)

Little Mac is kind of useful too if you wanna be zany, and don't mind your matches going 50/50 - either you wreck face with him, or get thrown off and die.

Last edited:

Sneether

Smash Cadet
Yoshi,Capt Falcon,and Pit depending on the match-up I would personally recommend

gByron

Smash Cadet
I used to have pit as secondary but I decided that he feels like a slightly changed marth. Peach is also a bad co-main with marth. A fast offensive close range fighter like space animals sounds good. They also have a fast reflector and nice projectiles. Shiek is probably the best
edit: I mean only fox. Recently realized falco's severe nerfs

Last edited:

LoreLes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LoreLes
I actually second C falcon and I have to say that he covers a lot of Marth's weaknesses very well. Especially against sonic.

H-O-G

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Samurai-Edge9
3DS FC
5000-3290-0193
I honestly fight majority of my match ups with marth good or bad, but I use sheik and link as my secondaries. They cover his weaknesses very well.

chococrow

Smash Cadet
NNID
chococrow
sheik, diddy, and rosa are good side charectors because the can keep their range and stay away while marth is more of an up close kind of charector

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Fast characters that can beat projectiles such as Shiek, Zero Suit Samus, and Greninja are great compliments to Marth. I personally prefer Greninja though because he can use Hydro Pump for edge guards and Substitute to snag (very) early KO's. Bowser Jr., Robin, and Duck Hunt also have strong synergy with Marth due to their strong projectile game.

adamlon1

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3583-0365-0217
I think Ness and Fox are both good Secondaries for Marth as they cover projectile spam and camping but Falco may not be a good option due to his severe nerfs in smash 4 (Press 1 if you feel bad for Falco) so it's best if you stick with those 2 however you may want to secondary Diddy because he has a good matchup with almost anyone and everyone but it's up to you to decide which secondary you want to use I mainly just use Fox as my secondary since he does cover alot of bad matchups.

Last edited:

Weavile's Wrath

Smash Apprentice
I main Marth and use Jiggs as a secondary. Aside from that, I will occasionally use Doc, Ganondorf, Falcon, and Ike. All those characters have an uphill battle against quicker projectile users, though, so I'm considering playing Rosaluma, Ness, or (Dark) Pit, if this is of any help to you.

Akira213

Smash Cadet
After a LOT of experimentation, I've actually settled on Pikachu as my secondary. I've found he handles unfavorable match-ups pretty decently and is overall a good character in this game.

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
rosalina and luma has been a great secondary for me. She helps with all those annoying zoners with her gravitational pull, she covers most of marth`s bad match ups as well as just has very good match ups in general with how high she is on the tier list. Ti me her range, spacing, and feel similar to marth.

basically if i want to play a bit more zoning heavy i switch to rosa sometimes, or having troubles getting in on another zoner.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
There are still a bunch up in the air. My secondary of choice with customs on is probably Palutena. She can be aggressive or shut out projectile characters that give Marth hell. I've also been considering characters like Fox, Zero Suit, or Sheik. Also, Robin and Lucario offer similar playstyles with a projectile focus. All these characters should be considered. Personally, I think Fox may be the best secondary; shutting out projectile characters and offering a more combo-heavy rushdown-ish playstyle.

sadn3ss

Smash Cadet
Ness actually supports Marths bad matchups very from what ive experienced and ness is just a great charecter in genral.

Salted_Rain

Smash Rookie
Not sure if this covers bad matchups but I play Fox,Link or Peach in the event I'm not playing Marth at my best. The variation in character selection give me ideas to rethink my Marth play, most of which is my spacing.

FEMARTH

Smash Rookie
NNID
Vintage
I main Marth, and as a secondary, i manage a Lucario. Works good for me

Top Bottom