• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secondary Advice

Eureka

Smash Ace
Captain Falcon is currently my main and I'm not planning on changing that anytime soon, but he seems to have some really bad matchups. Short characters in particular give me a tough time because so many moves go over them. I'm fairly good at a few other characters but I need some advice on who to focus on more. Specifically, Marth, R.O.B, Diddy, Mega Man, and Fox are all characters I feel comfortable playing. Do any of them pair well with Falcon?

Sean de Lure

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4313-1004-2187
dtilt and down angled ftilt are your friends, if you still have trouble with small characters, I say play someone who deals with them quite well. Diddy has an easier time comboing them, while fox can kill them early. Marth can keep them out (plus tipper kills smalls at like 35) rob and MM are more of zoning characters, which I dont really dabble with too much (I go aggro whenever I use them). I still suppose they should be able to keep smalls out rather well still, and due to their zoning nature, don't have to really worry about combos. At the end of the day, whoever you feel most comfortable with, go find like a pika/jiggs/gdubs main or some other short character, play a couple games and see who feels right against them if falcon still does not work

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
If you have a question there is the Q&A thread. If you don't want to post in the Q&A thread there already are 3-4 threads talking about secondaries on this forum, one of them being on the first page.

And anyway the answer is always the same : play whoever you want to. Matchups aren't defined yet.

MadSpace

Smash Rookie
My secondaries are Sonic and Villager. Sonic deals with the small characters easier than Falcon, and Villager can handle projectile spammers and Ness if I come across any.

Jrzfine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jrzfinest
3DS FC
1762-3319-6557
Don't use secondaries. You should instead be using your time honing your skills against the characters you have matchups against.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
I agree with Jrzfine, however, if you are looking for a secondary anyway, I personally main Ness.
I have a strong Yoshi still too, but I only go Yoshi in the Bowser/Dedede matchup.

Falcon's my secondary, and I do believe in just focussing on one character, but many people will find more fun by playing with more than one character. Also helps with matchups.

EDIT: Fox is likely your best choice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom