• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secondaries to Puff

Fortune

Smash Journeyman
What characters (if any) do you all use as secondaries to Puff in tournament, and why? I'm wondering in part because I'm thinking about picking up Marth.

Massive

Smash Champion
My secondary is Kirby. I do not use him in tournament for obvious reasons.

Theoretically speaking, the only way to have universally even or in-your-favor matchups as a puff main is to have a secondary of Fox, Falco, or Marth. Keep in mind that puff has so many good matchups that secondaries really aren't necessary unless you have a blind-spot matchup that you're sure you can always win with another character.

Keep in mind that your opponent may have a secondary too, and that you can screw yourself if your secondary is countered by theirs.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
most puffs seem to prefer falco v fox to marth vs fox. falco is also better vs falcon than marth is. and he takes down the low-mid tiers pretty easily. Falco is a really good secondary in this game no matter who you play. So is sheik though if you're just looking to pick up the free wins on the high tiers. I welcome more marth players though. If you truly take the many hours necessary to perfect the dashdance game that you've never needed with puff, then you can probably have good matchups across the board. Though honestly I don't feel like puff loses to fox enough to where it is worth the effort. you are probably better off just playing all puff than secondarying marth for fox

Massive

Smash Champion
Though honestly I don't feel like puff loses to fox enough to where it is worth the effort. you are probably better off just playing all puff than secondarying marth for fox
That's my main argument too. The only matchup puff really has trouble with is fox, and everyone has trouble with fox.

S2rulL

Smash Journeyman
Roy & Pichu...

Kappa

But I'm sort of leaning towards Marth also, but a lot of Puff mains tend to go spacies for a backup.

PiBs

Smash Journeyman
A lot of Jiggs mains have a pocket Ness. Or maybe a lot of Ness mains have a pocket puff. I still can't decide myself.

The Prince: SDJ

Smash Apprentice
Bring out the secret pocket pichu...

But you can also go sheik because sheik destroys low-tiers, kills quickly easily, and can hold her own against pretty much all characters.

Last edited:

The Prince: SDJ

Smash Apprentice
I'm actually leaning more towards the marth, as puff struggles against a smart marth who knows the match up. It's also easy to transition from a spacy heavy character to a spacy heavy character.

Last edited:

Massive

Smash Champion
My last post on this thread was over a year ago.

I am now positive that a Falco is the best secondary for Puff, especially you are practiced vs. Fox.

Of course, if you're good enough with Falco nobody would want you to play puff anymore.

Birdies

Smash Rookie
I am starting a secondary marth but my main secondary would be ice climbers, personally fox and falco are my two favourite matchups as puff : P

Last edited:

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
High level foxes are so boring to fight. It's like who can kill who at about/under 70% more often with cheesy kills and doing anything cool from either party gets you killed at about/under 70%. :p

Falco though, I can see that one, he's pretty cool to fight. I like fighting Falcon a lot

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Officially my secondary is Doc but if neither him nor Puff will work for me I'll go Falco.

OBI1JABLOMI

Smash Cadet
Do it, covers every match-up except arguably Marth.
ya, I was thinking the same thing. Plus, I think its a little bit easier to play samus and puff since I do not have the finger speed to master fox, falco, falcon, etc.

Top Bottom