• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secondaries to cover Sonic's bad matchups?

Damandatwin

Smash Apprentice
I dunno, I think Sonic's worst top tier matchups are characters like Fox, ZSS, Sheik... I don't think Megaman works great against any of them.

Haven-HeroesRest

Smash Rookie
NNID
VentusULTIMATE2
Who are Sonic's worst matchups? What about out of these characters?

Mario
Link
Mega Man
Bowser
Biggest threat to smallest; Link, Bowser, Mega Man, Mario.
Link's projectiles shut down Sonic's spin dash and make it hard to approach, and his sword out ranges Sonic, but Sonic can do some damage to Link once he gets there.
Bowser is combo food, but Spin Dash/ Charge is ineffectve thanks to his Fire Breath. Also, Bowser is strong, and Sonic isn't anywhere near the heavyweights, but Bowser isn't much of a problem.
Mega Man is basically Link with slightly worse projectiles and Sonic's recovery. But he isn't much of a threat. It's easy to get past his projectiles and take him out.
Mario v Sonic is 50/50 at worse and 40/60 in Sonic's favor. Mario's combos are easy to escape from with Spring Jump, and he is easily gimped by the same attack. Mario's fire balls don't do much, but F.L.U.D.D. can be a problem. WHEN YOU HAVE A FULLY CHARGED SPIN DASH AND MARIO USES F.L.U.D.D., YOU WILL BE SENT OFF STAGE AND WON'T BE ABLE TO DO ANYTHING! THIS HAS HAPPENED TO ME. TRYING TO JUMP DID NOTHING AND LETTING GO OFF THE SPECIAL BUTTON DID NOTHING!
All in all, Link is the only real problem. Just practice against the others if you need help.

Sonic's worst MU's imo; ZSS, Rosalina(no customs allowed), Link, Robin(personally), Villager, and R.O.B.
Villager and R.O.B. block Sonic with projectiles, but R.O.B. is heavy for combos while Villager is light for faster kills. Just try to get in as fast and safe as you can.
ZSS has three special things to stop the Spin Dash / Charge; Paralyzer, Plasma Whip, and grab. The MU is possible, but ZSS's combos are rough.
Rosalina w/o customs on is hard with Luma in the way. But after Luma is gone it can be, in the words of Bizarro, EZ MONEYYYYYYYYYY! But the Up Air juggles are hard to get past. Try to Spinshot away. Dair won't save you because Rosa's Uair is disjointed.
Robin's projectiles wall out Sonic(strange how they are the slowest and fastest characters in the game), Arc Fire on an Omega Stage/ FD is hard to get around, and Robin's aerials are amazing, especially Uair. Just try to gimp Robin's recovery and get past her/his projectiles. Switch to another character if you are playing on a stage with no platforms.

TriffHR

Smash Apprentice
I don't prefer customs. I like playing with just the basic character. Thank you for your input, but i just feel like Rosalina is too good. I know Sheik is better but I have a personal problem with Rosalina that I didn't have with the Ice Climbers. Luma respawns quickly in my opinion. After Luma is gone, Rosalina just spaces me out with her disjointed hitboxes and just hides in the corner until Luma respawns. I love playing as Sonic, but I just feel like I need another character. I have a solid Luigi secondary, but my button mashing needs to get faster for his down b recovery. My Olimar is a work in progress, I am not sure what will happen because I don't know the matchup. I don't know what Pikmin Throw would do and if it would latch onto Luma or if Rosalina's Down Special could stop my Pikmin. Probably gonna go with ZSS or Dark/Pit.
I agree, I dont like customs that much either

BluBlur91

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sonickidd51
3DS FC
1762-3703-4910
I suggest using :4darkpit: or :4pit: for your bad match ups. I even suggest using:4tlink: or :4link: personally

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
No.

Also, match-ups should be assumed to be offline.

Sources cited: Me playing Waldo a lot again today.

:093:

RisingBlue

Smash Rookie
My second is :4kirby: and he seems to pull his wait for me. What do you guys think of having kirby helping with the bad match ups for sonic?

dayo

Smash Rookie
Mario is very solid as a secondary imo. Covers the worst of the matchups like Fox and Ness. I'm not sure if Mario beats ZSS but it's probably at least better for him than Sonic.

Diddy, Luigi, Fox, ZSS are also good options.

Shadow_13

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-6916-4604
My little brother is one of the top Sonic's in my area, currently at number 2. He switches between Sonic, G&W, and Zelda. Sometime Kirby, but Kirby and Zelda are more of his specific counter-pick characters. He still uses a common theme playstyle with the 4, but the ways to "play safe", as much as I hate it, are quite different and provide excellent results.

Shadowstrike

Smash Rookie
Please use the "Edit" feature to avoid double posting!
When it comes to having a secondary to cover Sonic's bad match ups I would say your two best options are Shiek and Pikachu.

Zss is good to.

Last edited by a moderator:

FGC-Oni

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FGC-Oni
3DS FC
0430-8323-9211
Personally, if you're not playing competitively I think :4ganondorf: or :4dedede: are good choices. They favor defensive/read based play styles and that can improve your Sonic game to a great extent. If you rush in too much (I.E. Gotta go fast!) You're bound to make mistakes. That's where secondaries that force you to play defensively can compliment fast characters like Sonic or Fox.

Gregory2590

Smash Journeyman
NNID
phireblast
Ryu is working decently as a secondary for me, but that's probably because people "still" don't know how to fight him properly yet.

West End

Smash Cadet
I have a similar problem. Against the plumers and Co. and theirr bad matchups until I picked up fox. After observing his matchup chart and play style, I gave him a try. I never looked back. First reason: Really similar play style. Fox has one of in not the best running speed in the game and very fast falling speed. The both have smaller combos that nickel and dime you to death rather than dealing massive damage. Foxes nair keeps you from being comboed extremely heavily and they both have stellar recovery (No pun intended). All in all, I think that fox is a great choice for a secondary. Also, if you are looking for a radically diferent playstyly to throw off your oppenent, I would reccomend Robin. Just a thought though :).

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
I feel as if any character the can directly force projectile or campy playstyles to shift out of their comfort zone is great for sonic players depending of the opposing character. Characters like Mewtwo and Cloud are strong because they both posses natural anti-camp capabilities, and both can be played in the bait and punish style like Sonic while offering different looks and setups with strong mobility. With Mewtwo and Cloud you can play more footsie based while using elements of your Sonic's mentality in nuetral, especially since both characters core gameplan also revolve around a special with sheild cancel mixups, both characters have strong potential in edgegaurding like sonic, and both have strong evasion capabilities. its like you basically sacrificed a bit of speed for a great projectile and easier kill setups with M2, or more range and burst damage/ jank factor with Cloud, while adding additional range in your nuetral game.

Last edited:

West End

Smash Cadet
My only problem with having the before said mains is their recovery. I agree, M2 is a good secondary and everyone should have a pocket cloud. However, as a sonic main, I like to go deep, gimping others plenty,. M2's recovery isn't bad, when you have your double jump is os even pretty good. However, cloud's recoveryu is definitley bad, with your ability to play offstage severely limited (no pun intended.).

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
My only problem with having the before said mains is their recovery. I agree, M2 is a good secondary and everyone should have a pocket cloud. However, as a sonic main, I like to go deep, gimping others plenty,. M2's recovery isn't bad, when you have your double jump is os even pretty good. However, cloud's recoveryu is definitley bad, with your ability to play offstage severely limited (no pun intended.).
Thats fine. It just means you play a bit differently. Cloud and m2 can edgegaurd offstage well too.

Top Bottom