• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secondaries for Pit

'Kicks'

Smash Cadet
I am making this thread because I feel like it will help competitive pits right now. Pit's metagame is still developing (albeit slowly) so at times in a tournament we are subject to lose a match due to some bad counterpicks. To avoid this we need to acquire a strong secondary that elimates or at least goes even with some of our bad matchups.

Since the metagame is not all the way developed I feel many pit players do not know all the MU's as well as a competitive player should. So a secondary character is only a temporary solution as the pit boards continue to contribute and expand his metagame.

By doing this it should allow pit mainers to place higher in tournaments by eliminating some bad matchups, which with higher placing will hopefully bring some more representation to pit which will in turn not only help develop him but place him up a few spots on the current tier list.

Let's start with his worst matchups before we begin looking for a strong secondary. So in your opinion what are pit's worst matchups?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I coulda sworn we had this somewhere long time ago in the past, but regardless, Pit's more tougher matchups would be the following:

-MK (Obvious reasons)
-Marth (With his range and slightly better speed combination)
-Olimar (We are outcamped, and even if we do reflect, he can quickly rush in to attack at any time, while throwing projectiles. His shieldgrabs + Grab range ruins our approaches)
-G&W (B-air is probably the source, with its priority, along with some of his other moves having some power and range. It's pretty much a mix, and don't forget the bucket against our arrows)
-Wario (A fast heavy weight we can't CG, and his air camping is really tough with a very good recovery that's really hard to gimp)

That be for our worst matchups. Slightly bad matchups would include Kirby, Diddy, Falco, and TL.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
Yeah, there's definitely a buried topic about this somewhere.

Honestly, I just use Luigi for Olimar (Still learning him, though), because no other matchup feels that bad to me.

Our best secondary, MK, had an advantage on four of those five, and goes even with himself.

Snake and DDD each cover two of them, as runners up to second (just going on matchups).

Nitrix

Smash Ace
I really don't know how to handle G&W, I think he is pretty difficult. He can absorb arrow spam and his air game gives me trouble. I don't know what Pit can do to handle it >_>

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
I don't have that much trouble with GnW anymore, for whatever reason. Still definitely in his favor, but if you play defensively it's not nearly as awful as the rest of those. Shield the turtle and hope you don't get poked... You can still play ledge games with him once you learn his dash attack timing and such. Try to hit him with arrows when he's obviously open (Recovery, doing aerials far away from you, etc.). Fire with increased caution if he gets two.

If he manages to bucket three arrows... CAMP THE EVERLOVING CRAP OUT OF THAT LITTLE BLACK BLOB. Can't bucket if his bucket's full. Can't Oil Panic you if he can't reach you.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
Me said:
*If* he manages to bucket three arrows... CAMP THE EVERLOVING CRAP OUT OF THAT LITTLE BLACK BLOB. Can't bucket if his bucket's full. Can't Oil Panic you if he can't reach you.
Quoted for emphasis.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Pit doesn't really need a secondary. He's more of a stand alone character like MK. His tough matchups are overcomeable and not really out of his favor by a lot. The only matchup that he may need a secondary is G&W(debatable) because of his priority.

'Kicks'

Smash Cadet
i dont know I think he could use a strong secondary for other matchups as well such as marth olimar and falco

FrznSaber

Smash Journeyman
Every player (that doesn't main MK) needs a support character for those difficult match-ups. I believe Pit is no exception. If you have confidence to face those match-ups head on, then by all means go ahead. There is no reason to restrict yourself to only your main.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
Pit needs a secondary lol. It makes things so much easier! Do you guys think Marth is an okay secondary? He seems like he would be decent against Wario, Olimar, Falco and probably G&W

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
GeeDubbs worst matchup is Marth, actually.

Upon review... he has 60:40s with four out of those five, but loses hard to MK (They say 65:35).

So he's probably the second best secondary after MK himself.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Lol I was using Ganondorf for a while, you can tell I didn't have much choice but Pit :p
Though I dropped Ganon and now using Wolf as a secondary, I'm gonna try and grab another character, be it R.O.B., GaW and MAYBE (big *** MAYBE) Snake

I don't wanna use top tiers honestly but hey I love the Metal Gear for the GC (Only one I've played :p) so idk lol.

Coffee™

I need it....
Mk and Diddy beat GW worse than Marth does. and Pit beats GW anyway. GW sucks at approaching Pit without doing something relatively easy to punish.

'Kicks'

Smash Cadet
And like i mentioned before I think the secondary will be a big help for right now. But after pit's meta evolves a bit we might not need a secondary for as much MU's if any at all.

Yeah I believe Marth would be a really strong secondary. Diddy Sounds like a really solid one too. The only reason I would choose marth over him is I feel like I could relearn all the MU's with marth faster than I could with diddy kong. And I feel like marth has less tricks and such to learn than diddy.

I don't want to secondary MK only because I personally do not like playing him, even though he is obviously the best choice for a secondary.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
Playing MK means you lose TONS of style points lol. Yea from a competitive standpoint you practically HAVE TO secondary MK, but to each their own.

I agree with Kicks's post about Diddy. The only reason why I secondary him is because I mained him before going to Pit. He is very strong, but requires a ton of muscle memory in order to use properly. Marth would be a much easier learning curve.

The only thing though, is that both Marth and Pit lose to MK. Maybe Snake would be a good secondary then? He beats G&W, and doesn't do terrible vs Meta,

'Kicks'

Smash Cadet
i dont know snake might be losing too much speed to be able to fluently transfer back and forth

and honestly I do not think pit does that terrible against MK. Currently the MU is less than desirable for us but I think with some more work on Pit we could even it out a little more

pitskeyblade

Smash Lord
Makin movies makin songs & FIGHTIN ROUND THE W
Yeah, I know what you guys mean. I've played around with Marth a bit, but he is nowhere near the quality of my Pit, nor do I have the desire to improve him. I would definitely not take my Marth to a tournament and expect not to be destroyed. My Marth is just basic combos, nowhere near the advanced level. I mainly want to focus on my Pit but he seems to get shot down by every Snake, Meta Knight, Marth, or Toon Link I face. I am working on my Meta Knight problem and sometimes I can beat him. But sometimes isn't good enough.

dualseeker

Smash Ace
Pit: One of the greatest Heroes of our time
I think Marth would be a good secondary for Pit. I mained Marth in Melee and easily transferred to Brawl. Marth has been a big help in beating people that Pit has trouble with. My Marth is good buy my Pit is still better. Marth can help out in alot of ways, though. I think it's good to have Marth as a secondary so he can go up against other Marths and other people Pit has trouble with. Although we all know that MK beats Marth. But that's about the only defect I can think of at the moment. Diddy also seems like a good character. I hadn't thought of that before.

Top Bottom