• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SeattleSmash is back

ThePrime

Smash Lord
My jaw dropped when i saw the frontpage "SeattleSmash is done". This really saddens me to see this because now its that much harder to keep the community intact. Im a little annoyed that the two founders, Doogie and Judeko had to go to lenghs as to close down the site. Now there wont be any more events in the Auburn/Seattle libraries - which were the most fun out of their events. Because, apart from gameclucks which does things montly, seattlesmash was the next best thing. The quality and dedication is easy to see everytime you go.

I want to make this thread the SeattleSmash thread because their forums are dead now, unless Doogie somehow gets everything up again. If the site doesnt get back up, i guess this is the next best thing because i didnt want to interupt the GC thread with all of our whining lol. Seriously, i think some of us that were seattlesmash regulars like me, should try to organize events the same way Doogie/Judeko did. I would rather hold small events every now again because we would have to wait a month for the next gameclucks.

With brawl coming out soon, smash in general is going to grow immensely and without a website like seattlesmash, a lot of people might go un-recognized. I dont want this to happen, i still want everyone that was active/somewhat active on forums to continue to give their input on anything.

I just dont want the community to die.

Jem.

Smash Master
Well, respect levels have gone down from me.
Guess it's back to just smash with Shane and my brother and getting beat at GC lawlz.

Hopefully this hasnt just been a waste of time.

ThePrime

Smash Lord
eastern WA's care meter:

low|-|------------|high
This wasnt really directed to you east guys, as majority of players are the western part of WA. I can see why you dont care as you probably havent met doogie/judeko, they're good guys.

Truedoogie

Smash Cadet
It's not dead!

Mike had a hissy fit and "deleted" the site.

He really is nothing more than a small child. Giving him any kind of power was a mistake. He said he had changed, but he didn't at all.

Here's the scoop. TheBurningCrow and I saw this coming, so we BACKED UP THE SITE.

We are in the process of buying a new domain name, www.seattle-smash.com and restoring the old site.

All of your posts will be back. Everything should be like it was.

Judeko will be gone and will have no power.

A mass email will go out to all members letting them know of the new address and telling them to update their bookmarks.

You eastern WA guys, we will try to set something up to get you more exposure. Visit the site when it is ready!

SEATTLE SMASH LIVES!!

-TRUEDOOGIE

ThePrime

Smash Lord
glad to hear that you backed up the site.
ya seriously. So does this mean that you're going to organize events by yourself without Judeko? If theres going to be a lack of equipment, i can provide a little. And lol, Jukeko took me off his friends on myspace, he probably smelled a comment by me. I just find it silly that he just all of sudden gave up on seattlesmash, there better have been a good reason.

If players went to DJ Combo's tourneys, Near Seattle and Auburn...this wouldn't matter. We would just have more tourneys held by him and ones that would actually have the WA pros, and these wouldn't be necessary.
But whatever...go to GameClucks.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
It's not like GC is the penultimate tournament among tournaments. Some people like to smash more than once a month, SeattleSmash is a good place for improving, and it's even started attracting some pros. Also, I haven't seen DJ Combos tournaments on the regional forums, was I just completely passing them over?

ThePrime

Smash Lord
If players went to DJ Combo's tourneys, Near Seattle and Auburn...this wouldn't matter. We would just have more tourneys held by him and ones that would actually have the WA pros, and these wouldn't be necessary.
But whatever...go to GameClucks.
I have NEVER heard anything about him doing tournys in that area, ever. I know you combo status guys are good friends and know eachother really well and stuff, but please let everyone else know the details of his tournies.

Some of us like to play players that are around our level, which is why seattlesmash WOULD BE NECESSARY. Gameclucks is frigging great dont get me wrong, but its a little discourging paying to get beat, even though i know getting better has its price.

Jem.

Smash Master
I have NEVER heard anything about him doing tournys in that area, ever. I know you combo status guys are good friends and know eachother really well and stuff, but please let everyone else know the details of his tournies.

Some of us like to play players that are around our level, which is why seattlesmash WOULD BE NECESSARY. Gameclucks is frigging great dont get me wrong, but its a little discourging paying to get beat, even though i know getting better has its price.
Don't worry, I've been reattending Gameclucks since September 2006, and still haven't beaten someone worth notice in 1v1's.

Anyone in WA or from SeattleSmash play WoW? Re-DLing it to my PC after removing it, I have nothing to do when I'm at my moms on the weekdays besides talk to hot ladies and such. Which, is great, but I need games to play when not doing that.
You can still buy my 70 or 63 if you want to >_> PM me if you're interested. 70 is prot, 63 is fury. Starting a new guy.

DJ Combo

Smash Lord
Wow you guys...

Ive held tournaments multiple times and posted them all over, except on seattlesmash, and got replies and then only the people that have to drive far show up... I hold them in the very center of WW so no one can complain and they still don't come.

GC is the ultimate tourney of washington as well.... its the tournament everyone goes to, to test their skill. Also the GC thread should be the WA community thread, and I see no need for things like Seattle Smash and Tourney play because they just divide the community anywho.

I'd hold more tournies if everyone would come... so please reply with whether you would like me to or not... if I once again don't get replies I'll consider that meaning no one is actually annoyed that there arent as many tournaments around Auburn/Seattle.

I just want everyone to compete together and more often regardless of the placings...

*side note*
For anyone who actually wants to get up to the elite ranks... keep in mind that how we did it, is by getting ***** by SKYPAL week after week after week. All I'm trying to say is people should use "getting *****" as motivation and not as a reason to go play somewhere else.

I'm not trying to hate on anyone or be mean or whatever emo people try to call it... I'm just tired of our community being so extremely divided when SoCal has a Top 25 and they are all **** good.... and I think it has nothing to do with us having less people... but everyone makes an effort to host tournies, and then everyone goes, thus giving them waaaay more experience.

Jumpfreak

Smash Lord
I'm not trying to hate on anyone or be mean or whatever emo people try to call it... I'm just tired of our community being so extremely divided when SoCal has a Top 25 and they are all **** good.... and I think it has nothing to do with us having less people... but everyone makes an effort to host tournies, and then everyone goes, thus giving them waaaay more experience.
Quoted for truth.

Everybody - Go get your license if you don't have it. Get involved. For the love of the game... :laugh:

But seriously...

How about if I update the WA player and event finder?
Would you guys look there before anywhere esle?
Would you, trueDoogie, post the link on Seattlesmash so that it will not be a secret to everyone not into hardcore play?

ThePrime

Smash Lord
Ok cool, so DJ Combo, when are you thinking about having the next tourney? Address? Time? Im totally willing to go almost anywhere for anything.

And updating the player event finder would be cool.

Truedoogie

Smash Cadet
Man, there seems to be a lot of hate for SeattleSmash here, especially from SilentWolf. You have a SeattleSmash account, Silent. Why would you be bashing it?

Yes, I will be doing the events from now on. I have noticed that a lot of SS members are more than willing to help and that would be fantastic. That is the kind of thing that will make SS much better than it ever was.

DJ Combo, why haven't you posted your events on Seattle Smash? The site is getting bigger and it is a huge mistake to ignore it. We would have made quite a lot of noise for your events had we known they existed.

As for all of the pros, it's clear that you don't understand the demand for competitive Smash AT DIFFERENT SKILL LEVELS. Not everyone who plays Smash is pro. Getting beat non-stop only helps improve your game if you have the dedication to stick with it. There are many people who don't BUT they would still like to play people in their skill range and get better.

Seattle Smash does that perfectly. No other organization even cares how good you are. Nobody caters to mid-level players because they have no problem letting pros play with them.

It's discouraging.

SeattleSmash has a purpose because, not only do we find people within your skill level, we do our best to help them get better and that doesn't mean kicking the crap out of them until they learn.

Not everyone plays Smash 3 hours a day 6 days a week. There are members of our community that do, but there are more that don't. We want to cater to both and let people who play for fun and improvement do it without the fear of rolling out to an event, paying money and getting eliminated instantly.

Truedoogie

Smash Cadet
How about if I update the WA player and event finder?
Would you guys look there before anywhere esle?
Would you, trueDoogie, post the link on Seattlesmash so that it will not be a secret to everyone not into hardcore play?
Of course I would, but you have that power, too.

Just go to the appropriate forum, when it's up, and post the info. People will see it. I'll even make a front page news story about it.

artifice

Smash Ace
yay update player finder - im not on thur

edit // and i didnt mean any disrespect to seatlesmash, its just obviously a western WA thing. (and we can only come over/make time for: GC or biger events)

TourneyPlay

Smash Cadet
and I see no need for things like Seattle Smash and Tourney play because they just divide the community anywho.
Wow. As the founder and owner of TourneyPLAY... I apologize if you feel we are dividing your community. That's not our intent at all. I am building a tournament business that hopefully will be partnered with GameCrazy on a national scale. As of right now, we are only servicing one district that unfortunately does not include the Seattle/Auburn area and most of our events are rather distant. But, we do like to invite anyone who wants to play to participate. You might notice though on our website TOURNEYPLAY.net, we have always fully endorsed and encouraged players to attend both SeattleSmash and GameClucks events even when they're scheduled during TourneyPLAY events.

I have been approached numerous times from players asking for the three groups to collaborate and work together. That is certainly not out of the question, but it will take time. We're working on solutions that will most certainly make the GREAT NORTHWEST the place to play!

It bums me out to hear about the SeattleSmash fall out, but I am confident that the all new Seattle-Smash will continue to serve the community as well if not better than ever before.

If you're itching to play and have nowhere to go... we still invite you to check the TourneyPLAY schedule. It might be a bit of drive depending on the weekend, but we have tournaments 12 - 14 times each month. Find one that works for you and get your crew together.

Last weekend, TourneyPLAY awarded close to $500 in cash prizes. Some of that could have been yours. (= OK... last weekend we were in Eastern Washington, but I'm trying to make a point.

By the way... have you registered for the October 2v2 Costume Tourney? Gameclucks has endorsed it as well as Seattle-Smash. 1st place will win $500.

Enough jabber... go play some SMASH!!!

Truedoogie

Smash Cadet
Yeah the Prime...is it possible to edit the thread title? That would help, too.

And Tourneyplay is doing a great job. All events don't need to be catered to the hardcore amazing pro players. There ARE people who play the game for fun that are not pro.

And Artifice, Seattle Smash deals with Oregon and Canada as well, not just Washington or Seattle.

Help!

Smash Journeyman
DJ Combo im willing to attempt to make it to your tourneys if i can get some info on it. You know time place whatever and ill try to bring my friends too and some other smashers if i can. I just need a heads up to get time off work.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
I've completely missed your tourneys, DJ, and they're in a perfect location for me too, I'd totally go.

Also, I dunno if I'm insane or something, but having a single thread stored somewhere in the Regional Pacific West part of the Tournament section of Smashboards doesn't seem like the best way to communicate with the
ENTIRE COMMUNITY OF WA SMASHERS. Personally, I think GC and SeattleSmash can live together, enriching eachother without taking anything away from either. Seattlesmash is just a good site for getting info on all tournaments, it doesn't have to be catered to one type.

To be completely honest, I've always felt the Regional Pacific West section to be a bit muddled and difficult to traverse between the dozens of California tourneys going on. And SeattleSmash is a welcome respite from that.

As for Artifice, I'd love to go to an Eastern Washington tournament, but the trip would take me almost a whole day to get there. Unless I got a ride, then it's only half a day. ...Anyone want to drive me to Spokane for free?

Eggz

Smash Hero
that doesn't mean kicking the crap out of them until they learn.

Not everyone plays Smash 3 hours a day 6 days a week. There are members of our community that do, but there are more that don't. We want to cater to both and let people who play for fun and improvement do it without the fear of rolling out to an event, paying money and getting eliminated instantly.
You can't improve/learn from people who only know as much as you.

Almost none of us play smash daily. I play smash maybe twice a week. Ammon, our best player rarely plays anyone (because im a **** and always at jamie's. wtfs up wit dat? xD) Dan rarely plays, and he only plays people much worse than him. Gimpy pretty much only played at gameclucks, and he was one of the most intelligent smashers, and is the best bowser player in the world. The accusation that we play smash all day every day is all too common, and just arises out of inferiority. People who are worse at something assume that in order to be an uber pro, you have to devote your life to it.

This is just not true. To get good at something, you just have to devote your thoughts to it. It doesn't take more than like 10 hours a week of smash to get good. At the initial stages, it may take a while to learn the basics, but after that its just reading peoples movements.

Anyway, the point is, we have lives. xD

Jem.

Smash Master
Yeah, what Eggz said is true.. I find time to watch and observe nearly every NFL game, have a 70 and 63 on WoW, and still be good at this super smash brothers melee game you so speak of. In fact, a lot of us probably play less than some of the SeattleSmash people, because I am trying to get back into competitive Halo 2 also (Only smasher who has participated in a GC not for Smash? Yeahyuhz that would be me) And maybe get a WoW arena team to where I can get sponsored, who knows. I'm versatile at a lot of competitive games, and only play smash when Eggz comes over to my brothers..

Nuff' said.

Truedoogie

Smash Cadet
You can't improve/learn from people who only know as much as you.

Almost none of us play smash daily. I play smash maybe twice a week. Ammon, our best player rarely plays anyone (because im a **** and always at jamie's. wtfs up wit dat? xD) Dan rarely plays, and he only plays people much worse than him. Gimpy pretty much only played at gameclucks, and he was one of the most intelligent smashers, and is the best bowser player in the world. The accusation that we play smash all day every day is all too common, and just arises out of inferiority. People who are worse at something assume that in order to be an uber pro, you have to devote your life to it.

This is just not true. To get good at something, you just have to devote your thoughts to it. It doesn't take more than like 10 hours a week of smash to get good. At the initial stages, it may take a while to learn the basics, but after that its just reading peoples movements.

Anyway, the point is, we have lives. xD
Right, that's why I didn't say that you need to play that much every day to get as good as the best. I just said that the gap between hardcore players and casual players is huge. I have ran into a few of our members that, after 5 hours of Smash, made plans to immediately go somewhere else to play more. People like that exist.

10 hours a week is still quite a bit of time. It really depends on who you ask, though. If you don't work and stay at home, it's nothing. If you are a full time student and working, then it seems like a lot of time. It's all relative.

I agree though, devotion and focus is more important that the time spent. But some people don't even have that. They don't want to spend the effort and time to get pro, they just want to play against other people of their skill level. Improving is something that they haven't even considered.

So if some players haven't considered improving, why would they play competitively?
That's just wasting time, and if not trying to get good, or staying bad at the game is the case, how would it be fun?
Waste of time.
It's not like players of all skill levels don't attend GC. It seems like you guys think it's only "pro" players there or something, so Seattle smash just weeds out the other players and they go to other tourneys and don't improve much.
I just wish everyone would go to GC, so we could have a better tourney scene here. Not just a bunch of small tourneys that aren't fun at all. It seems like Seattlesmash is dragging players away from GC, so they can play other lesser players. Stick to GC, get better, overall WA scene is greater, making it funner.
I'm just rambling, but w/e. Didn't even really read much of the last few posts.

ThePrime

Smash Lord
SS isnt weeding out players, its just that organization was crazy active this whole summer, and their events are closer to other players. Ive only been to GC once, and i never want to miss one they're great, but they happen every month. SS had things going almost every week and was appealing to people that lived down here south of seattle - the atmosphere is slightly less competitve but i find myself having more fun at SS events than i do GC - to me i see GC as more of a serious place for me to improve. Dont get me wrong, GC is still cool, its just i like having small-scaled events here and there - its a bit more relaxing for me whereas GC i really want to focus in my matches and get better etc.

Truedoogie

Smash Cadet
Playing competitively IS fun. You don't play competitively just to get better. Maybe you do, but not everyone does. Some people want to just enjoy the game.

And let's be serious, dude...if non-pro players head out to GC and pay their money to enter a tournament...do you think they will win?

Seriously.

That is why people DON'T come out as much as the better players do. It costs money to lose. They can get together with friends of their level to play competitively and get better or find people using the SS rankings system in their area for free.

Rolling out to GC and playing the best people in WA does work for some people and some people are willing to do that, but it isn't the only way to get better and I think you are totally discrediting ANY other way to play competitive Smash, which is silly.

I think you are a bit out of touch with how large the gap between players like you and very casual players are. You play to get better. Not everyone does. I know that may sound crazy, but for some people the ability to play the game is all they want.

And maybe you should read the posts above yours before you reply.

PSPh8ter

Smash Rookie
I'd go to GC if I could, but its too far away and I can't drive. Seattlesmash is much closer and their events are always fun. How bout people from GC come to SS? SS always has around 20-30 people and some more wouldn't hurt.

DJ Combo

Smash Lord
Truedoogie, we know what you mean, I didn't mean to bag SS or anything... It just sucks how other states can have a solid top 20 PR where almost anyone can beat anyone, and I'm jealous of that. I just want WA to be a more competetive state on the national level but it looks like its not happening.

You are right about going to GC once a month and getting beaten isnt fun... but all the smashers act like they got it even semi bad. When I started playing I'd go to every GC and get beaten while at the same time going to SKYPAL 2-3 times a week and losing the entire night... for about 4 months I won like 10 matches out of countless =D.

Edit: I just see losing as an opportunity only to get better... There is no reason to anyone to get down for losing, and even if it costs 10 bucks to lose GC... you can play friendlies the whole time with a huge variety of skill levels which makes it well worth it.

PSPh8ter

Smash Rookie
I don't mind losing. I'd rather lose every match than win against everyone I play. I always lose to Jem but I always get close to beating him and I look forward beating him next event:grin:

Truedoogie

Smash Cadet
Truedoogie, we know what you mean, I didn't mean to bag SS or anything... It just sucks how other states can have a solid top 20 PR where almost anyone can beat anyone, and I'm jealous of that. I just want WA to be a more competetive state on the national level but it looks like its not happening.

You are right about going to GC once a month and getting beaten isnt fun... but all the smashers act like they got it even semi bad. When I started playing I'd go to every GC and get beaten while at the same time going to SKYPAL 2-3 times a week and losing the entire night... for about 4 months I won like 10 matches out of countless =D.

Edit: I just see losing as an opportunity only to get better... There is no reason to anyone to get down for losing, and even if it costs 10 bucks to lose GC... you can play friendlies the whole time with a huge variety of skill levels which makes it well worth it.

Yeah, I agree that getting beat in a situation like that is the best way to grow, but remember that it isn't for everyone.

We are trying to breed the newcomers to be the best they can. If we succeed, you will see players that you have never seen before competing at your level and representing Washington the way you want them to.

Top Bottom