• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SDI'ing Up-throw Up-air

Bravo_10

Smash Apprentice
So I'm pretty much a complete nub at the Fox matchup (no one of my usual practice partners plays Fox even remotely well, myself included). As you might guess, this is a pretty serious handicap in tournament because of the sheer prevalence of Fox users who just transferred their main over from Melee. There are Fox players who will get trashed by players that I can beat handily, and yet will still own me because of my massive matchup inexperience.

I think perhaps my biggest problem here is that I'm not used to dodging Fox's grabs. He just moves so fast that I never really see the grab coming. And as soon as I get grabbed, the up-throw comes out, and Link takes two up-airs to the face, possibly dying if Fox has a platform to follow up from.

Now, not getting grabbed is something I'm just going to have to work on in my spacing game, but what I'd really like to get down is how to SDI out of Fox's up-air. I know it's possible to do as Link, and I've done it before, but I get it maybe 1 out of 20 times. Generally, my strategy is to hold the c-stick up and then mash up on the analog stick as soon as the hit happens. The problem with this is that it seems like Link's hurtbox is big enough that Fox can just overlap himself with Link and then u-air inescapably.

Am I wrong about this? Is there a better way to get the SDI, like sideways (which I've never gotten to work)? Or is Link just doomed to be Fox combo fodder like always?

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I go right or left with both sticks right after that first "slap" sound and it works about half the time. Sometimes the spacing is such that only the second hit connects, which you can't do much about.

If you can DI the throw right or left then SDI the uair the opposite direction, it works really well.

Re: avoiding grabs...
Replace every instance of holding shield while Fox is upright with jab jab, and it'll become much easier. (jab jab usually gives you a grab, too)

Last edited:

Bravo_10

Smash Apprentice
Ah, great reply. I'll give that a shot.

I have also noticed that jab-jab-grab is pretty free against Fox, he doesn't really get pushed that far vertically by the jabs like some other characters, so I think he's gonna get grabbed unless he buffers a spot dodge or something. And I'll definitely admit that I shield far too much in general.

Top Bottom