• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Screw Attack Screws Shields

Verb-O

Smash Rookie
I have found through playing several matches on battlefield that a screw attack used in the air eats through shields extremely quickly if the opponent is above you. I found this from using constant u-airs to screw attack while my opponent was on the top platform. (I'm sure you're all familiar with this tactic.)

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't play Samus, but I'm fairly sure it's just your opponent not suspecting it.

A lot of people just unshield->run/attempt to counter attack or jump out of shield after the upair. Then they get hit by the screw attack simply because they're vulnerable and unsuspecting. It's best to do this after a double jump.

I do this with Oli's upb after after an upair if I suspect they'll drop their shield.

Or maybe you're right and it just shield pokes really well. *shrugs*

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Verb's post is fairly common knowledge, IMO. I typically tend to abuse her Screw Attack on stages with platforms, especially ones that let you land quickly/almost instantly or stages that let her abuse Up B due to the terrain of the level(BF, Brinstar, occasionally parts on Delfino, etc.).

Dan's post has truth in it as well. Most people I face always try to avoid it by jumping, or constantly side-stepping/airdodging. Predicting what they'll do is risky, but the pay-off can add up.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
I love to abuse Up B on unshielding opponents above me, but I neve rknew how devastating it could be to the shield.

I will definitely spam it moar now on Battlefield and Delfino

Verb-O

Smash Rookie
Didnt know this was well known. my bad. ive been discovering a lot of useful things about the screw attack lately. One of which is against snakes tech chase. If u stand up and do a screw attack immediately after he down throws, you can catch him in it unless he grabs perfectly. Its not a sure fire way out either if it works cuz he can shield and then punish, but it gives additional opitons and forces him to guess wrong more often

1Zero99Lucia5

Smash Cadet
Hmhm... It's awesome, almost nobody expects it! I've used it in some matches lately, and it's working a little too good =3. At high percent it's almost a certain kill, this could really open up some extra options versus high tiers.

Verb-O

Smash Rookie
I hear you. Everyone in my playgroup thinks samus is way too low on the teir list after they play me. Somebody just has to beat m2k at a major tournament and shel shoot rite up just like Diddy and ICs

tha_carter

Smash Ace
talked about in shield pressure.....

I can agree with the Screw Attack. It shreds the shield real quick. As the shield gets smaller, it becomes ineffective. **Just to extend** This is done with an Aerial UpB or a grounded Up B at its peak.
come on, tell me people are advancing beyond things talked about half a year ago...

blah

I hear you. Everyone in my playgroup thinks samus is way too low on the teir list after they play me. Somebody just has to beat m2k at a major tournament and shel shoot rite up just like Diddy and ICs
In Melee a few years back the top two players in the world were Marth players, he didn't become best character in the game because of this.

Samus is a bad character, and perhaps A FEW spots lower then she should be, but if your 'playgroup' read the Samus boards, they will be 10-0ing you in no time.

Xyro got trashed by m2k, I can't see any of us beating him in the near future.

Mr9

Smash Journeyman
Top Bottom