• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scientology

orintemple

Smash Lord
Bad things about Scientology people have said in this thread-

-It ruins lives.
-Ploy for money.
-Totally farfetched.
-Has killed many people over time.

That is all true. About all religions.
Scientology is no different than any other religion/cult. I am not defending Scientology, I am just equally bashing all religion.

All religions were created as a way for people to try and explain natural events(most importantly death) that they couldn't scientificlly. People were too impatient to wait and figure it out for real, so they made up bull**** stories that over thousands of years people continued to believe more and more.

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
Bad things about Scientology people have said in this thread-

-It ruins lives.
-Ploy for money.
-Totally farfetched.
-Has killed many people over time.

That is all true. About all religions.
Scientology is no different than any other religion/cult. I am not defending Scientology, I am just equally bashing all religion.

All religions were created as a way for people to try and explain natural events(most importantly death) that they couldn't scientificlly. People were too impatient to wait and figure it out for real, so they made up bull**** stories that over thousands of years people continued to believe more and more.
The difference is that it does all those things as a rule. It's policy to tear families apart, you can only hear about the religion and its beliefs if you've made the "fixed donations" and if you outwardly oppose them strongly enough, according to their "fair game" policy, a Scientologist can kill you without fear of internal punishment.

I know this post sounds preachy, but I'm just trying to point out that Scientology is not the same as any other religion.

maelstrom99

Smash Apprentice
After watching the Scientology episode of South Park, it convinced me that their beliefs are a joke.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Personally, I think all major religions stemmed from what was originally a cult. Any religion that has one person saying "I am some divine entity and you must follow everything I say" gets labeled as a cult by me. Yes, that includes pretty much every major organized religion, from Buddhism to Christianity to Islam, etc. I'm sure I'm potentially offending many people by this but it's not hard to make the connection once you know thoroughly how cults work. :ohwell:

Now, what sets Scientology apart from other organized religions and cults is that the Catholic church and many others don't have such a strong hold on their members any more. Secondly, cults generally prefer to prey on weak people who are looking for answers in their troubled lives. However, as Scientology grows and is recognized into a major religion that isn't the case anymore - yet it still has an enormous stronghold over it's members. Since when does the Catholic church decide if you can have children or not? Punish it's members when they do something they don't like? Sure the Church can frown upon things and excommunicate some of it's members - but it can't excommunicate every woman who has a child before marriage. And excommunication is a permanent vacation compared to what Scientology does to members who have disobeyed unspoken rules.

The worrisome problem with Scientology is that it used to be that everyone considered it an obvious cult, but now it's starting to be recognized a religion and that should not be. The other worrisome problem is how much power it actually has over the media and censorship with the money it has gained from its members.

P.S. I generally frown at how people assume that any religion which hasn't been around for at least 400 years is a cult. I'm subject to some pretty unconventional beliefs myself, being a Spiritual Atheist - that is I'm an atheist but I believe in some supernatural elements.

Negi-Kun

Smash Lord
I HATE Scientology to no end. I could write an in depth essay on how Scientology has ruined peoples lives. But I don't have the time. TL;DR!!

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Every day, we wake up as a different person in a different house in a different world. However, our memories are altered so everything makes sense.

I forget who said that.

EDIT: Could someone give me an example of scientology being bad? I always hear people saying it, but I've never seen an actual example. And no, I never Googled it. Besides, MetaCrawler is way better.

And I haven't read anything but the OP, either.

omfgomfg

Smash Lord
Your eyes happened to drift to my location, I see.
Every day, we wake up as a different person in a different house in a different world. However, our memories are altered so everything makes sense.

I forget who said that.

EDIT: Could someone give me an example of scientology being bad? I always hear people saying it, but I've never seen an actual example. And no, I never Googled it. Besides, MetaCrawler is way better.

And I haven't read anything but the OP, either.
visit this link and you can see a short slide
http://theunfunnytruth.ytmnd.com/

MisterDrBob

Smash Apprentice
Scientology is horrible. That video proves it. But I think we need to keep in mind that Scientology is not a religion, it's a cult. There's nothing wrong with religion or lifestyles resembling religion (i.e. Christianity), but cults are dangerous organizations that destroy.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
Scientology's theory about brainwashed alien souls isn't any more or less idiotic than thinking that some all-powerful benevolent force made two human beings, the female of which cause all of humanity's suffering. Religion is, by and large, completely absurd.

Top Bottom