• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

School Smash Tourney, Need Tips

Bilgoosh

Smash Rookie
First of all I'd like to state that I've been playing smash for half of my life and I consider myself to be somewhere in-between casual and competitive. Anyway my school is having a smash tourney and even though it's probably just going to be against casual players, I'd still like some tips on competitive playing in general as this is my first time playing against people I don't know personally.

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
First of all I'd like to state that I've been playing smash for half of my life and I consider myself to be somewhere in-between casual and competitive. Anyway my school is having a smash tourney and even though it's probably just going to be against casual players, I'd still like some tips on competitive playing in general as this is my first time playing against people I don't know personally.
Don't get hit

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
There's really nothing you can do to prepare in a few mere days.
But, first of all, dear god, projectors are laggy as heck. Don't use them. Unless it doesn't bother you, which probably isn't likely. If is any option for a television, I advise you to use that. Don't forget to put it on Game Mode.

In general? Watch your opponent spamming things all the time. That's really how a lot of non-competitors win, and it is VERY exploitable.
Ganon spamming side B and the unavoidable down tilt? Roll or spotdodge on reaction, and attack them back. Or, you could run away with some fast character and dash attack them.
Character spamming projectiles? Roll through them, jump over them, or even fire projectiles back! Spamming roll after you approach them? Time it right so that you can attack them in between their roll spamming. Or, using a projectile that's generally as fast as their rolling, e.g. Pikachu's Thunderjolt, or, use an attack that hurts people with a long duration, e.g. Toon Link's Boomerang. DON'T use jab though... dear god. You need to stay safe as well, and people can still react quickly out of rolls, and in Smash 4, jab has a really long animation.

Anyway. Watch out for patterns, and figure out how to beat them using the tools that your character has. Think clearly, don't panic.

Last edited:

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
Learn what teching is and how to do it, It might save your life. If you're a CF player, I suggest you make your way to the Captains character board to find out what techniques you should be using and what you can do as a CF player. My biggest suggestions to you are don't spam roll and use your shield wisely. Casual players tend to never use shield or overuse shield, and spam the crap out of rolling. Falcon's side B punishes rolls pretty well.

Top Bottom