• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scheduling of "The Majors" for 2013?

lotor611

Smash Journeyman
So first of all what an AMAZING tournament Apex turned out to be again this year. What a way to kick off 2013!
But now that it has passed, what is the next "Major" tournament of the year? and which other tournaments are considered the "Majors"?
Im assuming that list includes Pound, ROM, Genesis? Probably some others too? Thanks in advance for the info. Happy Smashing :)

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Norwest Manifest 2 a.k.a. Northwest Majors 5, Seattle- May
EVO, Vegas- July
G3NESIS, Antioch CA - July (Potentially)
ROM6, Nanuet NY - November (If it continues on as scheduled)
Big House 3, Ann Arbor MI - October (Unannounced though as of yet)

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

Tipped Off #? in VA? Dunno when it would be if it's happening.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Imo the only majors are apex,Genesis, and pound. (And now evo if we get in)

Things like rom,zenith, and the big house clearly very large but also clearly on a different level then the 3 majors i listed above. I think we can call these nationals even if the name is a little misleading due to Canada showing up for them.

I kinda assume that either 200+ people how to show to make something a major or maybe all the best players have to show. We should honestly make more official rules on this

:phone:

lotor611

Smash Journeyman
The idea of more precisely defining The Majors from other tournies is interesting. but maybe it is just a term that will always mean different things to different smashers. What do you guys think? N.A.G.A.C.E mentioned possibly having it determined by having 200+ attendance to qualify as a major. What other factors could be noteworthy?

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
I would say what regions come are important, its hard for me to call something a major if armada doesnt show up seeing how he is the best in the world, and to a slightly less extent the other top players (pp, hbox, mango, and m2k). I am not saying all of them need to show but most i think is needed. Also maybe looking at how many oos and ooc players show up is important as well. Apex had people from all around the*world while ROM had mostly east coast and some canada (big difference) (i am not hating on rom)

:phone:

Edit: whats funny about naming pound? Sure maybe its something which is not coming back but its also a tourney which iirc had the largest melee turnout ever and clearly was a major.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
I wish there was a publicly published schedule of major events at the start of every new year. Kinda like how MLG did it back in the day but instead with our cool people as those in charge.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
I wish there was a publicly published schedule of major events at the start of every new year. Kinda like how MLG did it back in the day but instead with our cool people as those in charge.
This calls for a more organized TO group, something that we don't have yet.

yet.

Wheels are spinning and people are stepping up hard. Smash community is going to be breaking some fresh ground if things keep going as they are.

/Optimism

Bing

Smash Master
Aww Nobody mentioned Impulse :(

Also, just a little drop here for those who don't pay attention to Regional boards, Theres an Only In Niagara in the works right now.

KingofCereal

Smash Journeyman
Can't call it a national if Canada shows, call it a Continental. Comes with free breakfast.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I wish smash was like tennis.
I've actually thought about this and I think it would be sickkkkkk to have "four majors" in each region like tennis does. But like Matt pointed out, it would require a lot more TO organization on the national scale. It's something I would definitely be down to collaborate for.

It's a rapidly changing scene, and I feel like tourneys step up to the plate when there's a demand for them. I'm not sure MELEE-FC10R would have happened last summer if, for example, a Genesis 3 had been slotted for the same season. Same with the fact that there was no true "Apex 2011" due to the presence of the departing Pound V.

lotor611

Smash Journeyman
So the "scheduling of the Majors" takes another step forward with the solidification of EVO 2013 for July 12-14. Does anyone know the exact dates and city for Genesis 3? Some east coast and midwest players are trying to go to both tournies and are trying to plan our trips. I heard that Genesis 3 is the following weekend after EVO but havent heard anything for sure yet. and idk what city its in. Hope someone can help. See you in Vegas and hopefully Cali too

Cyan_

Smash Lord
So the "scheduling of the Majors" takes another step forward with the solidification of EVO 2013 for July 12-14. Does anyone know the exact dates and city for Genesis 3? Some east coast and midwest players are trying to go to both tournies and are trying to plan our trips. I heard that Genesis 3 is the following weekend after EVO but havent heard anything for sure yet. and idk what city its in. Hope someone can help. See you in Vegas and hopefully Cali too
well we know that Genesis 3 will be in Norcal

dont know if a venue has been confirmed yet tho

Jmorsch

Smash Cadet
This really doesn't have to do with scheduling of the majors, but I would also like to see a thread that has an archive of every Major tourny in smash since the competitive scene started. With just the top 8 results from that the individual tourny's. I think it would be cool to just see who the top players were and their accomplishments at any given year.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
This really doesn't have to do with scheduling of the majors, but I would also like to see a thread that has an archive of every Major tourny in smash since the competitive scene started. With just the top 8 results from that the individual tourny's. I think it would be cool to just see who the top players were and their accomplishments at any given year.
Way ahead of you, bro!

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=331193

(that thread has links to the 2007, 2009, 2010, and 2011 articles as well)

If you're looking for a 2013 forecast, here's a rough outline with available information so far:

Rule 6 January (59 entrants)
1/6/13
Concord, CA

Apex 2013 (336 entrants)
1/11/13 - 1/13/13
New Brunswick, NJ

Winter Game Fest VIII (100 entrants)
1/19/13
San Diego, CA

SWEET IX (50 entrants)
1/19/13
Ann Arbor, MI

SCSYN 5
2/15/13 - 2/16/13
Chicago, IL

SMYM 14
3/23/13
Champaign, IL

Kings of Cali 2
?/?/13
Pasadena, CA

BEAST III
4/3/13 - 4/7/13
Gothenburg, Sweden

Northwest Majors 5
5/4/13 - 5/5/13
?, Washington

Zenith 2013
5/25/13 - 5/26/13
?, New Jersey

EVO 2013
7/12/13 - 7/14/13
Las Vegas, NV

Genesis 3
?/?/13 - ?/?/13
Antioch, CA

Tipped Off 9
?/?/13 - ?/?/13
Atlanta, GA

The Big House 3
?/?/13 - ?/?/13
Ann Arbor, MI

Revival of Melee 6
?/?/13 - ?/?/13
Nanuet, NY

lotor611

Smash Journeyman
Rob, I really hope youre right about G3 being in Antioch! i have family and free housing twenty minutes from there. Sweet! This whole EVO/G3 back to back thing gets a little more real everyday :)

Bing

Smash Master
Way ahead of you, bro!

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=331193

(that thread has links to the 2007, 2009, 2010, and 2011 articles as well)

If you're looking for a 2013 forecast, here's a rough outline with available information so far:

Rule 6 January (59 entrants)
1/6/13
Concord, CA

Apex 2013 (336 entrants)
1/11/13 - 1/13/13
New Brunswick, NJ

Winter Game Fest VIII (100 entrants)
1/19/13
San Diego, CA

SWEET IX (50 entrants)
1/19/13
Ann Arbor, MI