• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Saving your Mid-Air Jump

Corigames

Smash Hero
I watch a lot of the videos out there. In doing this, I discovered that most (if not all) Samus players use their mid-air jump to un-stun themselves. I use to do this, but found I could do a lot more mind games when recovering if I didn't. I break the stun by F or U air and then bomb jump back. From there you might get hit by some shiek needles, catch a shine, etc., but you still have that glorius jump left over. Hopefully, you also have your grapple for if you get really low!

I was just wondering is anyone else did that, at least intentionally.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
Yeah i too found that other(better) Samus players saved their jump till they got closer.
But i think it depends of who you are fighting. Like against some you want to stay low, and others you want to go above them. As long as you know about it...

Redragon

pressthebutton

Smash Apprentice
if you're high above the stage, fair and DI towards the stage. if you're a little bit above the stage, throw out one bomb and DI towards the stage. if you're far away horizontally from the stage, get to bombjumping. once you get near the stage, you have many options. you can sweetspot the ledge with an UpB, sweetspot with a grapple, or if you position yourself right and your opponent is on or near the ledge trying to edgeguard, use your jump and uair into the ledge, which will still allow you to grab the ledge after your uair.

Paradigm

Smash Ace
St. Brutus's Secure Center for Incurably Criminal
You can smash the joystick to break out of it?
I've heard it referred to as "wiggling." You'll find you'll "wake up" faster this way. I've used it to break out of combos in which the character I'm playing would typically still be tumbling into the next hit.

I've gotten into the habit of simply laying a bomb, and starting the bomb-jump recovery. As I get closer I'll decide on my use of the jump depending on the situation.

Often, rather than simply choosing to come from above or below, you can use your saved jump to dodge an edge-guarding attempt.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
It's really not whether you're good at it, but how much stun you would normally have and how fast you're doing it. M2K had a big formula for how it all worked with getting out of stun, and for every cardinal direction you hit on the control stick you take off like somewhere around a frame of stun, although it's likely that it was more. So if you got out with just one left-right flick, then you were almost out anyway.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I've found that even upon breaking stun, a bomb or simple DI still isn't enough to break momentum. Mid-air jumps do a better job of that. Generally, I can manage to save my jump, but if I really need that last push to keep me from flying off the edge, then I jump.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
Untumbling is extremely important.

You can't speed up when your character will be able to untumble, you can only do it as early as possible. That is, spamming buttons won't speed up your untumbling, but might help ensure you do it as soon as you could've been able.

Jumping is a BAD way to untumble, unless you need to burn off a lot of momentum to avoid dying immediately off the side. Flicking the control stick left or right is completely sufficient. Performing any move will also work (any aerial, b-move, whatever).

I recommend simply flicking away briefly at the proper moment to untumble. You can also just spam a fast aerial with the c-stick.

Mars-

Smash Champion
I usually only use my jump if I got hit hard and wouldn't survive the hit without it. Other times I just sorta start DIing towards the stage and start a bomb jump.

Top Bottom