• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Save the Internet

lilo

Smash Cadet
Please watch and/or read: http://ipower.ning.com/netneutrality2

This is a very real and serious issue. We all need to make sure this doesn't happen. A very simple phone call or letter to a local senator is plenty.
Are you going to pay for monthly internet, then just a bit more to look at smashboards, then maybe another fee just to play online? I know I won't.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Yeah, it sucks. Comcast has alreeady been controlling people's bandwith access. They said they're going to stop doing that though.

EDIT- That's a pretty cheap trick to get you to watch the video, but I suppose it's effective.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I don't get it. Don't we already pay for Internet?
Yeah! And besides, can we really have an influence more than we had on TV and radio?
If it was for me shows like The Big Brother would never exist.
This looks like a move to make us give more money to THE SAME COMPANIES to make happen exactly what they claim they are warning us from!

Kitten

Smash Journeyman
I applaud their use of cleavage.

I don't get it. Don't we already pay for Internet?
You're right. You don't get it.

The difference is that now, we pay for universal internet access. The thing that could change is that we would pay a rate for access to a few sites, but would have to pay extra for access to smaller sites (for example Smashboards). Not everyone is going to pay extra to visit these smaller sites, and their traffic would decline. The ISPs could also possibly charge those sites for a licence to actually be accessible on the internet from that ISP. Loads of sites would shut down, and it'd be virtually impossible to start a new site. The internet would be in control of a few telecoms and big sites.

Hopefully that is a decent explanation of it.

@hypercat: What are you even on about?

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
2012: Year internet is said to end, as well as said year of 12/21/2012 prophecy. Coincidence? :p
Anyway, this isn't right, and the people doing this would only be hurting themselves in the end. Not much else to say--everything that I can think of has already been covered. Bravo.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
God dammit.

You do realize that the moment this happens the masses of the internet will be buttraping Washington D.C. for a law banning what ISP's are planning to do, right?

notftomearth7

Smash Lord
On the blue planet next to the sun, can't miss it!
I applaud their use of cleavage.

You're right. You don't get it.

The difference is that now, we pay for universal internet access. The thing that could change is that we would pay a rate for access to a few sites, but would have to pay extra for access to smaller sites (for example Smashboards). Not everyone is going to pay extra to visit these smaller sites, and their traffic would decline. The ISPs could also possibly charge those sites for a licence to actually be accessible on the internet from that ISP. Loads of sites would shut down, and it'd be virtually impossible to start a new site. The internet would be in control of a few telecoms and big sites.

Hopefully that is a decent explanation of it.

@hypercat: What are you even on about?

What hypercat is saying is that WE AS NORMAL PEOPLE HAVE NO INFLUENCE OVER THE LAWS MADE ABOUT THE INTERNET! Besides, most of the rebels of this will be small business owners and others that use the internet, so we can just sit back and relaz.

Top Bottom