• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

San Luis Obispo!!??

JuanPablo

Smash Rookie
Looking for anyone and everyone at Cal Poly or in the San Luis Obispo area to smash with!!
I've only found one or two decent smashers and there has GOT to be more than that!

I'm hoping to get some biweeklies going eventually if I can find enough people who are interested and start what seems to be a non-existent SLO smash community. I'm seriously determined about this so it is going to happen!!
If you're not interested until Brawl comes out, then thats fine too as I'll probably have fliers all over Cal Poly by then

All skill levels welcome, I'm needing some good competition by now and I'm always looking to get newer players further hooked on the best game ever!!

bobecue

Smash Rookie
Me and my roomates are pretty decent, and there's also a pretty good samus around here. That should be about 5 people to play with. :)

Just pm me or hit me up on aim: b0becue

festizzio

Smash Champion
I know my friend goes to the one in San Luis Obispo, he's decent. I'll let him know about this thread.

ChaosRabbit

Smash Rookie
yay cp smash

Awesome! a way to find CP smashers.
I guess I'm an ok smasher.
just aim or pm fraserian

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
Diversity in life. In race. It's boring as a result.

Yeah because that's what I said... though it's not what I said in the slightest.Pomona is much bigger, both in and of itself as a city, and in what's around it since it's in LA County. Pretty much everything interesting in all directions is within 30-40 minutes of travel time. Options = nice.

I went up to SLO for one week and there was nothing to do, so all we did was smoke incredible amounts of bud since we were bored =/

bobecue

Smash Rookie
Nice to see more smashers around here. :) I've played at JuanPablo's a few times. He lives on campus, so if you have any free time after class or something, you can PM him.

Since finals are coming up, I don't think I have much time to play. Maybe a little today though (Saturday). We gotta play after Christmas break though, haha.

I think Juan plays with about 3-4 smashers on campus. I live with 3 others, and they play too.
That should be a good amount of smashers. :) This is in SLO btw, we could probably drive around a bit, too. Like AG, haha.

I'll probably talk to u guys on AIM or PM. If you don't hear anything from me, just PM or AIM (bobecue).

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Me and my friends usually get together every saturday and smash(although its usually pretty late when we start playing and we go into the wee hours of the night) If anyone wants to join in in our little smash parties just PM me and I can give you details

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Diversity in life. In race. It's boring as a result.
I don't follow the connection between lack of diversity and being boring. Of course even then I'd have to accept that SLO does in fact lack diversity, which I'd challenge, since any city with a major college campus is likely to be more diverse than average. If you mean it doesn't have distinct communities like Chinatown, etc, then sure, but if that makes or breaks a city's value to you then all I can say is we see things differently in that regard.

Yeah because that's what I said... though it's not what I said in the slightest.Pomona is much bigger, both in and of itself as a city, and in what's around it since it's in LA County. Pretty much everything interesting in all directions is within 30-40 minutes of travel time. Options = nice.

I went up to SLO for one week and there was nothing to do, so all we did was smoke incredible amounts of bud since we were bored =/
Well I'm not going to be an apologist for SLO, but I've been there several times and it's very much like Santa Cruz, where I live. It has beaches, clubs, theaters, music venues, restaurants, a nice downtown, and a distinct identity and personality (unlike Pomona). So if you couldn't find anything to do, I dunno what to say to you. Pomona on the other hand is a grubby generic uninteresting suburb of an even grubbier city (LA), that happens to have a college in it.

But if you're convinced that Pomona is a better place, that's fine, and I'm not interested in trying to change your mind.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
I don't follow the connection between lack of diversity and being boring.
Abundance of different types of people = greater chance there will be different types of things to do. This is pretty obvious if you know even a little about humans.

Of course even then I'd have to accept that SLO does in fact lack diversity, which I'd challenge, since any city with a major college campus is likely to be more diverse than average.
You'd fail that challenge, since SLO is notorious for not being diverse at all. And it should go without saying that this is in comparison to Southern California as a whole, one of the most diverse social constructs in human history.

Well I'm not going to be an apologist for SLO, but I've been there several times and it's very much like Santa Cruz, where I live. It has beaches, clubs, theaters, music venues, restaurants, a nice downtown, and a distinct identity and personality (unlike Pomona). So if you couldn't find anything to do, I dunno what to say to you. Pomona on the other hand is a grubby generic uninteresting suburb of an even grubbier city (LA), that happens to have a college in it.
The funny thing is the only thing SLO has over Pomona are the beaches. Most of the other areas fail in comparison to Pomona (rofl you do realize the Glasshouse is a hot spot for a ton of indie artists and occasional low-mainstream acts, right?)?.

But if you're convinced that Pomona is a better place, that's fine, and I'm not interested in trying to change your mind.
Pomona sucks. SLO sucks way more though.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Abundance of different types of people = greater chance there will be different types of things to do. This is pretty obvious if you know even a little about humans.
OK, but that just shows that "Abundance of different types of people = greater chance there will be different types of things to do" It doesn't mean that if it lacks diversity, it MUST NECESSARILY be boring.

You'd fail that challenge, since SLO is notorious for not being diverse at all. And it should go without saying that this is in comparison to Southern California as a whole, one of the most diverse social constructs in human history.
If you say so. But not being as diverse as the rest of "one of the most diverse social constructs in human history" can't be that much of an ultra-fail.

The funny thing is the only thing SLO has over Pomona are the beaches. Most of the other areas fail in comparison to Pomona (rofl you do realize the Glasshouse is a hot spot for a ton of indie artists and occasional low-mainstream acts, right?)?.
I don't really like most music today, so no, I don't realize that, or at least I didn't until now about this alleged "Glasshouse" thing. I prefer 60's/70's/80's rock. But I don't know how you can say they FAIL in comparison to Pomona, that seems unlikely. The beaches aren't the only thing though. SLO ambiance and environment definitely wins. I think SLO is generally regarded as the overall better college too ^_^ though I'm sure each has their own departments that are better. SLO is also closer to SF, the greatest city in the history of the universe, which is an objective fact that is beyond question.

I don't know why I'm having this conversation though, I'm pretty sure each of us thinks one city is better for reasons that are less important to the other, so there's not much of a point in trying to convince the other, so, /shrug

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
OK, but that just shows that "Abundance of different types of people = greater chance there will be different types of things to do" It doesn't mean that if it lacks diversity, it MUST NECESSARILY be boring.
I never said as much and thatwas never my point, so I have no idea why you're bringing it up.

If you say so. But not being as diverse as the rest of "one of the most diverse social constructs in human history" can't be that much of an ultra-fail.
Actually, it just makes it stick out that much more.

I don't really like most music today, so no, I don't realize that, or at least I didn't until now about this alleged "Glasshouse" thing.
Hmmm, alleged Glasshouse thing. Way to belittle your opponent's argument.

But I don't know how you can say they FAIL in comparison to Pomona, that seems unlikely. The beaches aren't the only thing though. SLO ambiance and environment definitely wins. I think SLO is generally regarded as the overall better college too ^_^ though I'm sure each has their own departments that are better. SLO is also closer to SF, the greatest city in the history of the universe, which is an objective fact that is beyond question.
I'm sure that's not a little bit of bias creeping in.

I don't know why I'm having this conversation though, I'm pretty sure each of us thinks one city is better for reasons that are less important to the other, so there's not much of a point in trying to convince the other, so, /shrug
Nope, just to kill time.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
I never said as much and thatwas never my point, so I have no idea why you're bringing it up.
Well then, you tell me how to interpret "Diversity in life. In race. It's boring as a result." It certainly sounds to me like "if it lacks diversity, it is boring as a result." Again, I'm sure that, all other things being equal, racial diversity adds something to the life, but I don't think it's necessary to have a vibrant community, because the cultures associated with their respective races have for the most part transcended race (at least in this part of the world), especially with younger people.

Actually, it just makes it stick out that much more.
Yeah but that's just cause your baseline expectation is spoiled by living in LA.

Hmmm, alleged Glasshouse thing. Way to belittle your opponent's argument.
That's just me being silly, I wasn't trying to belittle it.

I'm sure that's not a little bit of bias creeping in.
Probably not. I was laying on the hyberbole pretty thick there.

Nope, just to kill time.
OK, as long as we're in agreement that we're arguing for the sake of arguing.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
Well then, you tell me how to interpret "Diversity in life. In race. It's boring as a result." It certainly sounds to me like "if it lacks diversity, it is boring as a result." Again, I'm sure that, all other things being equal, racial diversity adds something to the life, but I don't think it's necessary to have a vibrant community, because the cultures associated with their respective races have for the most part transcended race (at least in this part of the world), especially with younger people.
You're applying one thing that I said specifically about this issue as an absolute statement that applies for everything "... "it MUST NECESSARILY be boring." There is little reason to consider something an absolute in most situations, so you need a much better reason than that to justify such.

Yeah but that's just cause your baseline expectation is spoiled by living in LA.
It's only natural we're going to compare it to what we know.

Probably not. I was laying on the hyberbole pretty thick there.
Only in the last sentence. Basically I was hinting that we're both comparing it to where we come from (you like it because it's like Santa Cruz, I don't because it's apparently like Santa Cruz LMAO) so it could be summed up pretty succinctly.

OK, as long as we're in agreement that we're arguing for the sake of arguing.
Isn't that what the internets is for? Wouldn't want to lose at the internet now.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
dude, you're trying to live vicariously through a college. one day you'll look in the mirror and see that you wasted your time and it doesn't matter what college you go to, you'll always fail at life.

kirbstir

Smash Lord
I'll be in Cayucos between the 22nd and the 6th of January. I might be able to sneak smash in there, if anybody is close enough for that =P

tickytoc

Smash Apprentice
i have a bunch of friends in atascadero that play smash every saturday competatively and we have tourneys up here. we would love for you guys to bring all your friends and come play.

Top Bottom