• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus's Tether Ledge Trump

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
I've added it into my Lab-Thread but I thought it deserves it's own Thread.

How to do: Input dash and when you reach the edge RAR Short Hop Z-Air very fast, or flick the Control-Stick to the other side then input Short Hop -> Z-Air.

Sakurai took our Ledge-Missile-Cancel, and yet we still can do a Tether Ledge Trump just like ZSS does. IMO that's a very small Gamechanger.

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Wow fantastic! That's pretty major, I think you're dismissing it a bit early unless the timing is super strict. Can you detail exact button presses and/or show a vid of your handwork? I tried stuff like this when we lost ledge missile canceling and I could never get it to work.
I've been doing reverse bomb roll off since then, but it's super predictable.

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
Wow fantastic! That's pretty major, I think you're dismissing it a bit early unless the timing is super strict. Can you detail exact button presses and/or show a vid of your handwork? I tried stuff like this when we lost ledge missile canceling and I could never get it to work.
I've been doing reverse bomb roll off since then, but it's super predictable.
I can do it pretty reliable by flicking the Control-Stick to the other side when I reach the edge, than instantly press Jump and input Z-Air minimum 8 frames after the Jump-Button-Input. If you press Z-Air too early then it won't work.

Last edited:

zblaqk

Smash Apprentice
Lol this is something I was hoping we had. I put up a video here a but ago about thw missile cancel thing

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
Oh thats really cool. Ill learn it to throw people off. I dont have to go off stage at all really which saves precious time from having to jump a decent distance off then Zair. Im going to be using this to scare the crap out of people, I can get a bit of charging in if i need to then Dash>RAR>Zair>Trump.

Or maybe drop a bomb, land on stage then do this.....interesting.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
Interesting. Definitely gonna practice this in my Samus lab sessions.

Rawberry

Smash Rookie
This is great! Definitely going to try this later. Now I just need to not press down really hard when I'm trying to edge tech...

EDIT: Thanks!!

Last edited:

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
I find this easier/more consistent if you airdodge before you tether

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Ooooh boy, Sweet Biscuits! This is what I love about our community, Awesome people seem to always discover new ways to be epic! Now that Ive finally got the input down on the aerial turnaround CS and turnaround CS ledge trump I have a new tech to practice! (that is if I can peel myself away from Xenoblade Chronicles X for a day or two, that game is amazing) This is what I love about Samus. I mean look at that! To be great with Samus you have to learn to implement these crazy epic techniques, we may play a low tier, but we're S tier in style.

Does @Izaw know about this?

Last edited:

quiKsilverItaly

Smash Journeyman
Sup guys.
Just wanted to say, that KayJay took my idea without even mentioning my name.
I am a former Brawl Samus Main, where this AT was also a thing. I tried it out in Smash4 and so I came up with that idea.

I wrote down some stuff here: https://www.smashlabs.de/thread/5348-miniat-reverse-zair-für-ledgetrump-und-mehr/
It's in German, but you can open gfycats for other ideas.

Now I wish you guys all the best implementing this nice AT in your gameplay.

Last edited:

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Sup guys.
Just wanted to say, that KayJay took my idea without even mentioning my name. It's making him look like a fraud for me, but well.
I am a former Brawl Samus Main, where this AT was also a thing. I tried it out in Smash4 and so I came up with that idea.

I wrote down some stuff here: https://www.smashlabs.de/thread/5348-miniat-reverse-zair-für-ledgetrump-und-mehr/
It's in German, but you can open gfycats for other ideas.

Now I wish you guys all the best implementing this nice AT in your gameplay.
Someones a little salty, does it matter how the AT got here? Cant we just rejoice that we have another tool in our toolkit?

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Well would you be ok with somone taking your art and claiming it as their own? Everyone wants credit for their work

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Well would you be ok with somone taking your art and claiming it as their own? Everyone wants credit for their work
Theres a big difference in how someone creates a drawing and a technique in a game. The odds of someone coming up with the same technique in a videogame is very very very high. The fact that the games perameters limit what you can come up with creatively are evidence of that fact. Anyone with knowledge of RAR, ledge trumping, z tether, the lab, and time could eventually discover this. I wouldnt be surprised if KayJay KayJay found this himself, hes very knowledgable in smash techniques. Its not inprobable for Kay to discover this himself, HOWEVER it is most inprobable for someone to create a piece of art identical to mine without using mine in some way. There are incalcluable variables in a single sketch of mine that dictate how the finished product appears. In smash you have a finite number of inputs and things you can do with those inputs are finite as well.Your analogy is flawed in this respect.

Last edited:

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
To be fair....WE assumed KayJay discovered it. No where in his post did he say he was the one who found it. Probably just a brain slip with the credit thing after posting it real quick.

Either way kudos for the find, and thank you for sharing.

quiKsilverItaly

Smash Journeyman
Yeah that sums it up, thanks.

To be fair....WE assumed KayJay discovered it. No where in his post did he say he was the one who found it. Probably just a brain slip with the credit thing after posting it real quick.
You are probably right, I didn't talk with KayJay before, so I will remove the claim in my first post of him being a fraud. Maybe he just forgot saying it and especially I don't want to start a big discussion here.

To give my post also a on topic value I will post my self made gfycats here (which KayJay obv also didn't mention and it took some time making them):

https://gfycat.com/VillainousDevotedAnemonecrab
https://gfycat.com/MeanIllEyelashpitviper
https://gfycat.com/EvenAssuredErin
https://gfycat.com/IllThankfulLamb

Last edited:

Rawberry

Smash Rookie
Thanks very much to you then quiKsilverItaly :)
Sorry to try to temporarily hijack the thread but this question is so nub I don't want to make a new thread for it.... I can't remember if I've really seen someone do it or whether I'm imagining things but is it possible to turn around and zair in the opposite direction? I haven't had a dedicated training session on this yet (will do when I try to nail this edge grab though) but I'd like to confirm it is possible before wasting time trying it (please). I'm primarily only able to play the 3ds version at the moment if that makes any difference...
Thanks!

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
@quiKsilverItaly
You actually had the raw idea first, with my added quick tether ledge snap only then it became useful and I also added the turnaround CS to it which is inescapable after a confirmed tether ledge trump.

Before I shared the turnaround CS trap from short hopping offstage (example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA7KdebXs2U I first shared it in other Videos on February 2015, months after I polished it), no videos or posts from this idea were found or shown anywhere. I didn't take my name as a brand on that idea altough I knew that this ledge CS application is a very effective option. There are examples from other ideas as well.
I welcome the same attitude from everyone, it's all about the evolving meta and about making Samus more viable. Also your name is on the video commentary by clicking on it.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
You mean this?
https://gfycat.com/MeanIllEyelashpitviper

KayJay KayJay : Alright then. Btw. you should show up at some German tournament!
As far as the tether goes i think thats not what Rawberry Rawberry was asking. To me that video looks like a RAR Zair, your changing direction before leaving the ground. I think hes asking about a turnaround Zair, like our turn around CS. I was just asked if we could turnaround Zair in the air by my marth friend, and to be honest i havent tried it out yet to see if we can or not. (xenoblade chronicles x is eating my smash time)

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Theres a big difference in how someone creates a drawing and a technique in a game. The odds of someone coming up with the same technique in a videogame is very very very high. The fact that the games perameters limit what you can come up with creatively are evidence of that fact. Anyone with knowledge of RAR, ledge trumping, z tether, the lab, and time could eventually discover this. I wouldnt be surprised if KayJay KayJay found this himself, hes very knowledgable in smash techniques. Its not inprobable for Kay to discover this himself, HOWEVER it is most inprobable for someone to create a piece of art identical to mine without using mine in some way. There are incalcluable variables in a single sketch of mine that dictate how the finished product appears. In smash you have a finite number of inputs and things you can do with those inputs are finite as well.Your analogy is flawed in this respect.
The point was no one would be happy seeing somone else get praise for something they found/created, I doubt KayJay did it with that intent but I understand quiKsilverItaly quiKsilverItaly 's initial frustration

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
The point was no one would be happy seeing somone else get praise for something they found/created, I doubt KayJay did it with that intent but I understand quiKsilverItaly quiKsilverItaly 's initial frustration
True but you have to admit the analogy wasnt solid, and Kay didnt really steal anything, nor did he claim to invent it.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
True but you have to admit the analogy wasnt solid, and Kay didnt really steal anything, nor did he claim to invent it.
He didn't have to, if he creates the thread showing off the new tech and doesn't mention anyone elses name obviously we're all going to assume it's his, again not saying this was the intention but it was definitely the outcome, so quikslivers frustration was justified

Rawberry

Smash Rookie
As far as the tether goes i think thats not what Rawberry Rawberry was asking. To me that video looks like a RAR Zair, your changing direction before leaving the ground. I think hes asking about a turnaround Zair, like our turn around CS. I was just asked if we could turnaround Zair in the air by my marth friend, and to be honest i havent tried it out yet to see if we can or not. (xenoblade chronicles x is eating my smash time)
Spot on - I did mean whether it is possible to turn around in the air and zair in the opposite direction, like you can when you're running on the ground. "like our turn around CS" sadly I didn't know we could do that either, I've just looked this up and found a link for Melee, but hopefully it's the same thing so I'll give that a try as well (http://smashboards.com/threads/how-to-turn-around-mid-air-to-shoot-charge-shot.399997/)

-_ellipsis_-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HCLargesse
BUMP

The reason I bring this up is because I've found that you can use the instant tether to basically slingshot yourself offstage and gimp people faster and at further distances with bairs or dairs than running off would.

Also, for some reason I can't get it to work on stages like bf or sv. Is this a known trait?

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
-_ellipsis_- -_ellipsis_- That's really cool, do you have a video? When I first saw this I thought about the potential mobility options, because it's so fast in repositioning Samus but I couldn't get it to work. It's cancelling very very fast inputs, going from stage to offstage but below stage edge in like 2-3 frames with a d-air. Is that what you mean?

samosa

Smash Cadet
BUMP

The reason I bring this up is because I've found that you can use the instant tether to basically slingshot yourself offstage and gimp people faster and at further distances with bairs or dairs than running off would.

Also, for some reason I can't get it to work on stages like bf or sv. Is this a known trait?
It works for me on BF.

Another cool thing to do is instant tether--> release(fastfall)-->tether grab. This will put you hanging at a low spot on the side of the stage while you still have your jump.

Last edited:

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
I just started practicing this for the first time just a short while ago, and though it seemed too difficult at first, I'm already pulling it off a few times, much to my surprise. Exciting!

Top Bottom