• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus vs Mario: Analysis

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Coen here. I was feeling like writing something today, which gave me the idea of writing a little Brawl gameplay analysis. In this blog update I will be analyzing one of the gameplay vids, namely Samus vs Mario on Battlefield. I thought I’d put it on the blog, kind of nice. I’ll probably be doing this for some other gameplay videos too, if you like it.

<strong>I’m aware this is not the full version of the vid. Enjoy</strong> <strong>nonetheless. I will do the update for the whole vid later on.
</strong>

Here’s the video: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLrE5qwysfQ">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLrE5qwysfQ</a>

In this vid, they’ll be playing on Battlefield while giving you some information on the game and how familiar it will feel when you’ve played the earlier Smash Bros games before. The match seems to be a Time Match, 2 Minute-Battle.

<!--more-->

In the beginning of the vid, you will see the infamous demo character selection screen featuring a good 14 characters to choose from and a button for ‘random’.

Next to come up is the demo stage selection screen, featuring 11 stages to choose from and again, a ‘random’ button.

0:22 – 0:25, Samus and Mario enter the stage in an old fashioned SSB64 way, just how we like to see it. The lack of this feature in Melee might have been a huge disappointment to the audience, so that’s probably the reason why they decided to bring it back.

0:27-0:28, Samus starts with an Up-B. No doubt about that. From the looks of it, it reaches just about the same vertical distance as it did in Melee and it still hits a lot of times, although the hits seem to lag a bit more, if you know what I mean.

0:29-0:32, Samus throws out 2 Dash attacks in a row. Mario does not get stunned much by the first one (11%), but goes into falling animation when hit by the second one (9%). It seems like it’s still about as powerful as it was in melee, if we assume Mario’s weight has not changed.

0:32-0:33, Samus’s Upsmash. We notice that a lot of Samus’ Melee moves have returned. The Upsmash seems the same.

0:33-0:35, Samus tries to Forward Smash Mario, but Mario, while invincible, counterattacks with a Wake-up Attack.

0:35, The screen fades and they switch to another part of the fight. Look at the timer and you’ll see they skipped about 45 seconds.

0:36, Mario Forward Smashes and Samus falls through the right platform with the old fashioned Sex Kick, as we Smashboarders like to call it. It does 6 damage and judging from that and the knockback, this is probably the weak hit. And wait, what? An ASSIST TROPHY appears behind Samus! And next to it lays a mysterious spikey ball.

0:37, Of course, Samus immediately walks towards it with that gentle walk of hers, and grabs it.

0:38, Oh my god, it’s Advance Wars. How cool is that? The sound effects rock too. An army of soldiers and tanks spawn and march into the direction Samus is facing, shooting gunshots and rockets at Mario. They stun Mario, and when a rocket comes out, it hits the spikey ball, launching the thing and Mario at the same time. I had to watch this part so many times to make out whether it was the spike ball or the rocket that launched Mario so far away that he could not get back, but I could not figure it out. KO. Any ideas?

By this time, I notice that Samus has a Charge shot charged up. Must’ve happened in the part they skipped. Also, the people demonstrating start talking about Smash Balls here.

0:44, a Party Ball appears. Yippee! Samus Up-Aerials the ball. Too bad it holds nothing. Mindgames

0:47-0:56, Samus double jumps and does a Forward-Aerial. Another move, along with the Up-Aerial, that has stayed the same in appearance. Samus and Mario both show off moves (Mario Nair, Up-air, Jabs, F-smash, F-tilt) during this part and try to hit eachother. Mario’s moves, as expected, also seem the same in appearance. But what? A capsule appears. It contains the holy Smash Ball O_o Get it! The directors explain you have to pound the Smash Ball a few times before it’s power is given to the one who breaks it.

0:56:1:02, Samus eventually gets the Smash Ball. Watch out, Mario! The screen gets dark and stays this way.

1:03-1:13, Mario runs around the stage and does not want to get hit by the Final Smash. In the meantime a Heart Container appears, which Mario grabs. Fully recovered! Samus stalls at the ledge.

1:13, but all does not seem to matter when Samus unleashes her Final Smash, BOOM!!! Mario gets hit by it. 44% O_o that’s nothing to laugh at. ‘Enjoy that’. At least it’s not more damage than a Melee Peach’s Downsmash does to a crouching Fox.

1:19, Mario falls to his doom again. Samus turns into Zero Suit Samus, as the director explains. Good ****. He also explains something about the Final Smashes again:

‘<em>Different Final Smashers have different effects. Some of them are automatically just gonna rain absolute terror down on everyone. Others, you actually have to DO stuff. For that particular one I had to get lined up on the side of the screen, make sure that you were gonna be in my horizontal path and unleash it</em>’.

Yup.

1:29-1:31, Zamus has thrown a capsule that she picked up upwards and does something with her whip that seems to be an Upsmash, judging from the knockback. Right after, she either F-smashes or Side-B’s the crate next to her. Mario gets the Fan that had been inside the capsule and breaks the crate, which contains a Super/Poison Mushroom and a Pokéball.

1:32, Zamus does a move with her whip that looks like it has less lag than the one before. F-tilt maybe? Or just another F-smash that’s not charged? OR the Side-B?

1:34-1:37, Zamus’ rolling dodge is pretty quick. A bit like Sheik’s. Samus also performs a triple jab combo, followed by another F-smash.

1:37, Mario gets knocked into the Mushroom, which now is revealed to be a Super Mushroom. Mario rushes at Zamus to slap her again with the mighty Fan again.

1:39, Zamus does a move, but I don’t know what it is. D-Air? Footstool jump? Who knows.

1:40, vid ends.

That’s some pretty neat stuff, seeing Samus’ Final Smash and some of Zamus’ moves in action. Samus and Mario haven’t changed too much from the looks of it, but I’m sure it’ll be hell of an experience to play with either of them. Can anyone get something else out of this?

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
You might want to put a page break thing in the post so that it doesn't take up so much space on the main blog page.

That's not a suggestion, that's an order.

Actually... it is just a suggestion. :psycho:

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
I know, Kirbykid =( but I can't figure out how to do it. Can you tell me?

*reads post below* Thanks kirbykid ^^

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
Go to the main blog page. Scroll down to the bottom of your post and click on edit. Once you're in edit, there's a button that looks like a gray box with a dotted line running in between it. All you have to do is position the curse where you want to make the cut, and click that button.

If you need to delete the page break, just click on it and hit the delete key.

Now it's time to read your post!!!

AniMaL 214

Smash Journeyman
you notice how it seems every1 has jiggly puff DI theres one point where samus jumps di's back nd then foward again doing almost a loop every1 seems lighter also did u notice her bombs look diffrent idk if that was in this and the longer 1 also her charged shot charged up so quickly alot quicker then melee

Chaotic Yoshi

Smash Lord
Nice detail. You forgot to mention that at the beginning of the match at the top left of the screen it shows the song that will be played. Since you can unlock different songs for a single stage, that's part of the feature showing which is the current one.

Cronius

Smash Apprentice
At the very beginning of the fight, Samus does her Up B, and it hits Mario for like an hour and a half. They definitely slowed down how the attack does damage.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Coen, the death of mario was most definitly caused by advance wars alone. This is true because the spike ball went directly over Mario's head and which if it had him would have slighty knocked him down ward. This as well as the fact that by pausing it you can clearly see the spike ball had no effect on Mario's death.

I hope that was of some use ^_^

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
I looked on the Video (sweet I might add).....*gasps*...WE GO ENTRANCES XDDDDD.......any way.........I just checked it out....and alot oof o=ppl on youtube bashed this guy.........................

hugQ Cortex

Master
In the part that's skipped, Samus down-smashes Mario while he's trapped by that pitfall-looking item, and it sends Mario in a straight upwards trajectory.

Unless the pitfall affected the trajectory, or that Lv. 1 CPU Mario had some amazing DI, this is a notable change from Samus' down smash in Melee, where the hit sends your opponent in a curved trajectory, going behind Samus and out of the stage (that's if Samus is facing towards the stage and hits with the front part of her down-smash). It appears that her down-smash more closely resembles the one she had in SSB. Her d-smash also seems notably slower, maybe with even less range.

This is a great edge-guard set-up move in Melee, because it puts your opponent in a horrible position to be edge-guarded, and it looks like this was possibly taken away from Samus, but like I said, it's hard to tell for sure because of the pitfall.

Here's the full vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kI7qRwTlJU
It's at 2:53

Down grade ftl? :(

RandomGuy42

Smash Journeyman
****, I got beaten to the full video link.

I have no idea why they cut some sections.

gamelover15

Smash Apprentice
You missed the footstool jump by Mario on Samus! It occurs at 1:04 right after Samus gets the Smash Ball.

Footstool Jump's knock back it weak, but knocks down well.

ZeroShadow

Smash Rookie
wow pretty detailed analysis...mmm I write it here because i think in this vid this can be really seen...HOW the old characters still use the same tricks and attacks! Only the Mario's down-B is changed...I think that the only way tol not see that while the matches is seing the brand new graphic quality...

Top Bottom