• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus vs. Link....need help

Treeko

Smash Journeyman
Err... can you be a little more specific with what you need help with?

Personally, I tend to get shieldgrabbed a LOT by Links, becuase I'm an idiot and always land my aerials IN FRONT of him. I found the best way to counter this was to just run away and shoot missiles...

King0Gus

Smash Rookie
Murdering Link

I've been playing Samus Vs. Link since the days of N64 with a good friend, here is what works for me. Missle cancel alot, tackle through his boomerang and arrow and hit him in his lag time, his A attack while running is easily side-stepped or WD dodged and sets Link up for a easy beating. When it comes to avoiding his Up-B, well he can really spam it. If hes using it on the ground while your coming form the air either sidestep up their to delay coming down, bomb jump to delay, or sex kick his head. He can also easily spike you with this if you are close to the edge so DI or avoid it some other way or you are pretty much screwed. master the bomb jump recovery, the only way you will die a lower percent from Link is if he can manage to Up-A you in the air or Down-A you on the ground and kill you off the top. Practice catching items on the ground and in the air as well to get rid of hi bomb threat. Learn to SWD to prevent him from Up-B ing you when he is invincible after you kill him... All I can think of right now, hope it helps with killing the **** little elf.

Grmo

Smash Champion
Plymouth Rock, eating Thanksgiving dinner
Yeah. By the sounds of it aerial attacks are dangerous, so avoid them. Charge up, shoot a missile, then fire the beam. Everyone falls for that. Oh, and you can probably catch him offgaourd with the super wavedash.

Da illest

Banned via Administration
When im fighting link i dont use projectiles much , i just use it for distractions after every combo or edgeguarding. But i use regular attacks and lots of cc. I just keep at him since link is slow and u can combo him very well and sidestep or sheild grab his up b.

Volasko

Smash Ace
I also have l lots of experience with this match up. I play link so Ill try and list the things that get me bad when im playin my buddy. Its an interesting match up because both chars use the projectiles to contol the match. Just some pointers:

-If the link likes to spam the up-b, learn to time and aim you d-air. Link's are constantly looking to exploit the spin spike. What my buddy does is keeps his second jump, fakes me into thinking he is going fall into that area, uses his 2nd jump and fast falls a d-air right onto links head. Link's weight is perfect for d-air to f-smash. Of course you have to l-cancel the d-air, but that isnt that hard.

-when you have a charged shot, and manage to grab link, a d-throw or f-throw to charged shot is you friend.

-I cant stand samus for one reason, CCing. If the link is trying for shuffled n-airs, just CC it and d-smash away. You can pretty much CC every one of links airials other than his d-air.

-Remember Link has alot of power and some nice tricks, but he has the widest array of moves that can be punished. Missed up-b's, hookshots, airial u-b's, d-airs (missed the Lcancel), and some of his smashes all have lots of lag afterwards. Dash-dancing in and out of his range can force a hasty hookshot, which you can punish with all sorts of nasty stuff. Try to add unpredictable movements to your game, hope you can WD cause samus has one of the nicest ones. Jumps to wavelanding backwards is a good fake out tatic for a shield grabber.

-When you edgegaurding homing missles are nice when link is above the ledge, those usually lead to a super missle right in the face. But most samus's know when and where to use missles.

Its a pretty interesting match up in my opinion, and can go either way. I dont think that either has an advantage, so just try and play and nice even keel game, punishing Link as much as possible for his laggy moves. Hope this helps a lil

StarrMan

Smash Rookie
I have a buddy who likes to go Link on my Samus, so I have also felt the frustration that can occur with this matchup. The main thing that I hate about facing link is that his n-air will stop missiles, and he can generally spam faster than Samus. His aerials can be cc-ed, which is very nice, and you can always Up+B out of shield. My main problem is that Link will end up getting me in the air (placing with his bloody boomerang) and then up or down air, so watch out for his spam, and try to resist the urge to jump. Or, if you do, to try and out prioritize him with a F-air or N-air.
Also try and get used to dodging crap when bombing back onto the stage, cause there will be a lot of it...

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Well I'll just say it. I suck when it comes to the matchup. I get owned by up-b and just..ionno I can't get a groove against the hylian elf. Anyone have anytips?
Just to clear this up..uh Link isn't an elf..he is a Hylian...Hylians are not elves..they just have pointed ears like elfs.

silkydude

Smash Rookie
Warning this may sound nooish but I like to charge my shot and get him to come to me and release it as he's running towards me. Also missle cancels destroy link so cancel a missle evrey tim you jump.

Micahc

Smash Ace
Punsh Links attacks. If you have a charged shot, try to predict sheild grabs and spins. If you can predict these then you can get in an easy 25% damage. Also, if you get him in the air, stay to the right or left. Up-airs and down-airs will eat you alive.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
HAha yes yes..I know I am right..my name is Hylian after all.

J-Pizzle

Smash Apprentice
This match up is pretty easy,going agaist Link isn't that hard,my brother is a good Link but I own him all the time :)

BombCombo

Smash Rookie
I find that Link in the air is actually pretty horrible. Samus has a definate speed advantage; dodging his shield grab leaves him wide open, Your missles are better then his arrows, your bombs are more useful, your screw attack moves better.
I find an offensive player is easily confused, stunned, and eliminated through wise use of bombs, and melee attacks, while a defensive player can be moved with charged shots and missle combos, until finally they're caught when the Hyrulian shield is dropped to regain footing, or their block is broken.

Link's up+b can be best avoided by an air dodge towards the ground if you're both in the air, which will permit you to regain footing while he's fatigued. An easy missle strike. A spike if you're above link will ruin his whole day.

If you're getting up+b'd while off the edge, you're only real hope is to never fall below his eye level, otherwise good timing on his part will put you down easy.

Remember, optimum positioning for Samus is on solid ground directly below an opponent, or 20-35 degrees to the side above an opponent. When below, execute up+A (the drill kick) into bombs, or sex kick. When above, go for the spike, sex kick, back kick, or distance moves if you're being placed on the defensive.

Top Bottom