• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Resource icon

Samus: The Missile Maniac

gamegod7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gamegod7
3DS FC
1607-2735-0153
gamegod7 submitted a new guide:

Samus: The Missile Maniac - Intro on how to get started with the space bounty hunter Samus!

View attachment 40003

DISCLAIMER

I have only been playing competitively for about over a year now, so please forgive me if I don’t mention every single important detail. This guide is to help people who want to main Samus a solid intro and not anything intermediate or advanced. Please disregard this if you are already informed of the basics. I will now be listing pros and cons to being Samus.

PROS/CONS
Read more about this guide...

gamegod7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gamegod7
3DS FC
1607-2735-0153
gamegod7 updated Samus: The Missile Maniac with a new update entry:

AERIALS!!!!

I honestly should have added aerials way earlier, but did not realize they were not there until just now, so I will now go through each one and explain their uses and attributes.

Up-Air: This is a multi hit move, so percentage can vary from 3-10% damage wise. This move has little knock-back until the last hit which has a bit more, but no kill potential and is situational when doing a combo or trying to keep and opponent in the air. It can also go through platforms, so use...
Read the rest of this update entry...

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
Dude, thank you for writing a samus guide! We really do need a new one to keep a little better pace with the changing meta. You have some good move descriptions. I think you could talk more about the utility of moves though. That and there's some mis-information/misnomers in the guide:

“Ability to crouch cancel is pretty good which helps Samus to stay at higher percents without being KO’d.”

The utility of crouch canceling isn’t survivability, its the ability to disrupt your opponents approach [they hit you to start a combo, you cc and retaliate instead]. And it doesn’t work at higher percents.

“Samus is heavy, so without proper DI, other characters can combo her or even zero to death with ease”

I’m pretty sure you need to at least reset once (and probably more than that) to kill samus. Not getting hit with combos is a strength for her.

“VERY little Oos options, so getting caught in shield pressure by Fox and Falco could mean potential danger”

Wavedash oos, nair oos, bomb oos, dropshield->lcancel, grab, spotdodge, roll if you can read an opening (bad, use rarely), jump if you read an opening (kind of bad but not as bad as roll). But most importantly upb. You should never get “caught” in spacie pressure. Upb and reset to neutral.

“[Jab1] Use this move as a way to convert to a downsmash or fsmash.”

This is hecka not guaranteed. The set-up exists in very specific situations and will get you punished more often than not. This is a bad thing to tell new people. Also jab shield pressure isn’t mentioned for jab1.

“[Jab2] does not provide the means for a follow-up attacks”

At certain percents this move straight up combos into ftilt and even if it doesn’t do that it will knock down most characters and set up a tech chase.

“[utilt] you can technically spike someone in the air with it”

What? No.

“[dsmash] Expect to be using this move a lot since it is one of Samus’s better moves.”

Most times where you could dsmash you should probably dtilt instead since it sets up punishes better. Dsmash is way laggy and new sami get punished a lot for using this move.

“[bombs] This move by itself is pretty useless”

Bombs are a powerful neutral game mix-up as well as a combo escape and form of shield pressure.

“[back-air] this move is quick”

Bair comes out on frame 9 which is relatively slow for an aerial.

“[down air] comes out pretty quickly”

Dair comes out on frame 18 which is VERY slow for an aerial. You also mention it being a meteor spike, which is misleading. Is it a meteor or a spike? Those are two different things. Also, this move is plus two on shield and is a ridiculous combo starter/extender.

But don't just take my word for it! Go ask questions on the samusboards and watch samus vids. I believe in you dude. Also it would be nice to have a neutral game section. And, as I mentioned you could mention more of the utilities of each move.

gamegod7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gamegod7
3DS FC
1607-2735-0153
Dude, thank you for writing a samus guide! We really do need a new one to keep a little better pace with the changing meta. You have some good move descriptions. I think you could talk more about the utility of moves though. That and there's some mis-information/misnomers in the guide:

“Ability to crouch cancel is pretty good which helps Samus to stay at higher percents without being KO’d.”

The utility of crouch canceling isn’t survivability, its the ability to disrupt your opponents approach [they hit you to start a combo, you cc and retaliate instead]. And it doesn’t work at higher percents.

“Samus is heavy, so without proper DI, other characters can combo her or even zero to death with ease”

I’m pretty sure you need to at least reset once (and probably more than that) to kill samus. Not getting hit with combos is a strength for her.

“VERY little Oos options, so getting caught in shield pressure by Fox and Falco could mean potential danger”

Wavedash oos, nair oos, bomb oos, dropshield->lcancel, grab, spotdodge, roll if you can read an opening (bad, use rarely), jump if you read an opening (kind of bad but not as bad as roll). But most importantly upb. You should never get “caught” in spacie pressure. Upb and reset to neutral.

“[Jab1] Use this move as a way to convert to a downsmash or fsmash.”

This is hecka not guaranteed. The set-up exists in very specific situations and will get you punished more often than not. This is a bad thing to tell new people. Also jab shield pressure isn’t mentioned for jab1.

“[Jab2] does not provide the means for a follow-up attacks”

At certain percents this move straight up combos into ftilt and even if it doesn’t do that it will knock down most characters and set up a tech chase.

“[utilt] you can technically spike someone in the air with it”

What? No.

“[dsmash] Expect to be using this move a lot since it is one of Samus’s better moves.”

Most times where you could dsmash you should probably dtilt instead since it sets up punishes better. Dsmash is way laggy and new sami get punished a lot for using this move.

“[bombs] This move by itself is pretty useless”

Bombs are a powerful neutral game mix-up as well as a combo escape and form of shield pressure.

“[back-air] this move is quick”

Bair comes out on frame 9 which is relatively slow for an aerial.

“[down air] comes out pretty quickly”

Dair comes out on frame 18 which is VERY slow for an aerial. You also mention it being a meteor spike, which is misleading. Is it a meteor or a spike? Those are two different things. Also, this move is plus two on shield and is a ridiculous combo starter/extender.

But don't just take my word for it! Go ask questions on the samusboards and watch samus vids. I believe in you dude. Also it would be nice to have a neutral game section. And, as I mentioned you could mention more of the utilities of each move.
Dude thanks for the great advice! Like I said, I am still new to this game since i have been playing only a little over a year, but this is definitely some great advice that will help me to update the guide. I also really want more Samus mains to be in high level tournaments since Plup left[there is a hole in my heart that can no longer be filled :( ]. I really hope that maybe this guide will help to get new samus mains at least up and running to become good enough to play at a high level. Again, thanks for your advice and input. Something I want to ask though is how to describe the utilities of each move. Do you think you can explain the "utilities" of one as an example so I can try and follow that to some extent.

Last edited:

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
Yea, this could be really helpful to new samus.

So for utility, lets take utilt because it has a lot of uses.

"Utilt- has a delayed start up, a huge hitbox, and deals lots of stun. Its an amazing combo starter because it deals a crap ton of stun and puts your opponent right in front of your face. Utilt can lead into nair, fair, bair, dtilt and fsmash depending on combo weight and di. If you pop someone up onto a platform with it you can set up a tech chase situation. It's also a ridiculous edgeguarding tool because it goes below the ledge and hits at a really good angle. Its ok in the neutral if you can get your opponent to undershoot a shffl aerial where they land in your face or if you want to threaten them with it to control their space. You can pressure opponents above you on platforms because of the verticality of the hitbox but there are more efficient options for pressure."

So, Utilts utility is as a combo starter, a tech chase set up, a weak neutral game tool, a weak form of platform pressure and an edgeguarding tool. New players don't have a grasp of what the purpose of moves are so its good to point out the general game plan for any given move. One more example:

"Dash attack- Dash attack goes about 1/3rd the distance of FD in 7 frames which is pretty quick because of the range covered. It can be used as a burst option (also known as an unreactable decision) but due to a long cool down has a high risk. Use it to intercept aerial opponents (this is safer than grounded opponents because your opponent loses the option to shield the move and retaliate). Dash attack becomes a kill move at high percents. Use dash attack to cross up a shield if you need change your positioning. If you start the move close enough to your opponent you'll end up far enough behind them so that they can't retaliate."

So Dash attacks utility is: a weak kill move, a weak burst option, and a shield cross up. I also don't disagree with your assessment that it functions as a combo start, but I'd label it a stronger follow-up tool.

I'm just one guy though so my assessments could be inaccurate and/or incomplete! I probably missed some uses for the moves but thats why doing this will require some research. Ask around in the samus general discussion and/or interview some top sami.

EDIT: It also may be valuable to mention character specific use to. Like, how utilt covers all of falcons recovery options unless he goes super high. Or how homing missile will knock fox/falco out of their upb and set them up for further edgeguarding.

Last edited:

Samuch

Smash Cadet
Wow, I've only been playing for a year also. Maybe I should make a guide. /s

Top Bottom