• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus Tactics, a Samus strategy thread

Mars-

Smash Champion
You're right mars, I don't really think the SWD is useless, I just think it's inefficient. Everything that the SWD can do, you can do better. IMO
Yes, it can be. HugS, I agree with your view on it, it's a gamble that you don't need to take, I just prefer to take it.

TelpeFion

Smash Lord
"Fake jump to ledge" is not a reverse ledgewavedash, is it? As in, ledgehop, go a bit above the stage, and landwavedash back to the ledge.

Mars-

Smash Champion
Umm think about it, you FAKE jump to the ledge. So it would probably be like a back jump towards the ledge then last second change up and attack.

Metroid_01

Smash Journeyman
Atlanta, GA (school yr), Miami, Fl (summer)
has anyone ever went to the marth thread and read about the strategies they use against samus??
Thats a given. But all Marth really needs to do is space himself, slash up some missiles, and get Samus above him for some easy comboing.

Samus just needs to make sure none of those things happen. Space better than he does, make the projectiles threatening, position well (as in, if you can get Marth on a platform above you, its gold). Just those few concepts are enough to get Marth off the stage (mebbe a down smash here or there), and then the rest is pretty simple.

Mars-

Smash Champion
It's funny that you say that because, samus owns marth from below too. Up air has really good range and priority.

3Years

Smash Lord
samus has a hard time wen above marth...but if your below mart(platforms)u have an advantage...

its really fun 2 fight marths but he just destroys your missles and if u space your self your setting yourself up for a tipper...i reccomend 2 wavedash out of your shield 2 get close 2 him thats wut i do...

Mars-

Smash Champion
Crouch cancel teching.

I just felt like making this post, because this technique is really helpful. Basicly, if you crouchcancel an attack, but fall over, you can also tech it. This can be usefull for breaking out of pillars.

You have 2 frames before you hit the ground to press R or L.

Now, as I mentioned, this is useful for pillaring. You get knocked over by shine from falco at 0% to about 50%, then from dair from about 90% to over 130%. With this knowledge, hopefully you will be able to get out of pillars easier. And the cool thing is, it works for other attacks as well.

Mars-

Smash Champion
I'm going to bump this, maybe start adding more stuff. I got a lot of ideas floating in my head.

Anyway, some stuff from HugS that somebody posted

vanityangel said:
Some HugS advice on falcon that kicks butt:

For falcon, it is very important to focus on shield pressure. Don't ever do any laggy moves on his shield. This includes fsmashing, dsmashing, and to a far lesser extent, dtilt. Dtilt is usually safe. Otherwise focus on using ftilts and jabs on the shield. The falcon will either have to roll or jump out at the wrong moment when you can tilt him again. Try to master tech chasing in this match up, it is very important.

With falcon you either have to be Extremely close in range, or extremely far. Samus's "Danger zone" vs falcon is when you are at mid range. You are susceptible to many attacks without enough room to retaliate quickly enough.
Edgeguarding is also very important. Most of the match builds up towards you getting him off the stage. Master edgeguarding to handle falcon. It isn't always as easy as just "uptilting". So work on that if you need to.

Another trick that works well on falcon is waiting on the 2nd jump. When you manage to get falcon in the air, jump at him and wait for a jump, then hit him with your attack. If you are good at wasting falcon's 2nd jump, you will have a much greater ease with comboing or with edgeguarding.

chubb-o-wub

Smash Journeyman
I'm some kind of good with Samus, and one way to throw off people is to set mindgames with bombs. They can be used for more than just recovery, for instance; let's say that Sheik is charging his/her Usmash to send you up to a KO. Instead of taking it to not only try to attack, but veer off to the side (fun going to left, but going to the right is useable too) and Nair/Bair them, respectively. I think it can also be combo'd into your Dsmash. But I haven't tried that yet.

Smashbrain3000

Smash Rookie
I'm some kind of good with Samus, and one way to throw off people is to set mindgames with bombs. They can be used for more than just recovery, for instance; let's say that Sheik is charging his/her Usmash to send you up to a KO. Instead of taking it to not only try to attack, but veer off to the side (fun going to left, but going to the right is useable too) and Nair/Bair them, respectively. I think it can also be combo'd into your Dsmash. But I haven't tried that yet.
One thing I use with bombs, along with mindgmaes, is that im launched a short distance into the air, enough to start combos with, and that seriously helps

AIDS

Smash Lord
One thing I use with bombs, along with mindgmaes, is that im launched a short distance into the air, enough to start combos with, and that seriously helps
but if lay a bomb in the middle of a match you are stuck for a period of time where a smart player will nail the crap out of you in that period you can do nothing, whats to risk? 5 % from a bomb? i would do it!

Mars-

Smash Champion
The difference between knowledge and skill

Two very different things, any noob can be knowledgeable and know exactly what they are supposed to do, but in match, they simply won't do this stuff. It's because they are not focused enough really. I fall into this category, along with most everyone else.

You can not force it, you just have to ease strategies into your style. As you become more advanced you will notice that you start playing differently vs different characters. A noob version of this is samus vs fox. Samus missile cancels, and follows the missile hoping for a shine, which means a free downair. Other then that, there is not much of a difference in the way that samus would play vs a marth or the fox. However a pro, uses completely different moves, almost like a different move set, different mindgames, pretty much everything is different.

However, knowledge based, they might both be on the same level. They both probably know what they are supposed to do in certain match ups, but only one of them can apply it.

A good example of this is M2K. He has been probably the most knowledgable smasher since he started, but only recently (2006 I believe), he started placing high in large tournament.

Metroid_01

Smash Journeyman
Atlanta, GA (school yr), Miami, Fl (summer)
but if lay a bomb in the middle of a match you are stuck for a period of time where a smart player will nail the crap out of you in that period you can do nothing, whats to risk? 5 % from a bomb? i would do it!
A smart opponent with the right character. Some characters cannot get around that bomb fast enough...though, the Marth's of the world can Fsmash you straight out of it (and wont even take damage!)

Bombs are useful to keep your spacing and to make your opponent rethink what they do, or atleast thats the generic answer everybody seems to give. They also generate enough lagtime for cute stuff like wavebombing, and of course you can successfully pull of aerials from a bomb that has connected with your foe. They are pretty useful.

Mars is totally right, that fox analogy reminded me of myself :p. And I wonder why they all figure out my missile to pray-for-a-shine combo.

AIDS

Smash Lord
A smart opponent with the right character. Some characters cannot get around that bomb fast enough...though, the Marth's of the world can Fsmash you straight out of it (and wont even take damage!)

Bombs are useful to keep your spacing and to make your opponent rethink what they do, or atleast thats the generic answer everybody seems to give. They also generate enough lagtime for cute stuff like wavebombing, and of course you can successfully pull of aerials from a bomb that has connected with your foe. They are pretty useful.

Mars is totally right, that fox analogy reminded me of myself :p. And I wonder why they all figure out my missile to pray-for-a-shine combo.
lol wave bombing, you mean super wave dash? lol but most charecters can get through it, ganons Fair, marths F smash, fox and jump and fast fall in with an up air, its much better just to use them hardly ever, cause it becomes a habit and if i see my oponent doing it every so often, im gunna wait for it and nail him the next time he does it, almost all charecters can get you in that gap of time, all the "higher tiers" can, its ok once and a while but i wouldn't get in a habit as throughing it in as a stratogy

Top Bottom