• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus short hop ff missile

Litt

Samus
Of course you can do the same thing with a FH, but if you miss a little bit with the fast fall, you shoot down to the bottom of the stage and it puts you at a very disadvantageous position. If you want something like that to master, go run off either of the bottom 2 platforms on battlefiled directly into a fast fall missile, and it will be canceled on the side of the stage and you will grab edge.

pizzacato

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
coda#0
NNID
Pizzacato
Its really not though, you are making it much harder than it has to be Jerk, by separating it into two distinct parts. The technique is supposed to flow together to make one fluid motion...
Can I offer my 2 cents on tech(nique) practicing. I understand where KLit is coming from by being fluid, but I want to argue practicing from a musician's perspective.
In order to learn a new piece of music or a very difficult line, it's highly stressed to subdivide, take it into sections and practice sections at a time. It can be argued that practicing technical passages and technical melee skills are different, but I think they're more similar than not. If you can identify how to break it down and practice a section at a time, you should always nail it no problem. To practice a passage of music, you have to go at it from all angles. (Really slow, only the intervals, every down beat, every up beat, every two down beats and hold the up beat).
It's the same thing with SHFFMC. First find the fastest point to fastfall after a short hop on the ground, then fast fall off platforms as quickly as possible, then go from the ledge, etc. And you can time EACH of those with a metronome, in theory. Fluidity comes from not thinking, and when you can recognize the earliest FF from a SH, a platform, edge recovery, etc., you then minimize the effort in practice. Also as a strong side note, you don't practice it until you get it right; you practice it until you can't get it wrong.

Sidenote: Granted, I can't SHFFMC. I haven't put the time into it, but I have put the time into other tech skill the exact same way.

That's my opinionated two cents in the eyes of a musician.

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
While yes I agree with you pizzacato, it is impossible to learn this in a single step, the point I was making is that samus's short hop is the hardest in the game to do (along with fox, sheik, ect...) and that is a very difficult thing to just built into muscle memory in the first place. My recommendation for just learning this is to learn platform missile cancels on a stage like pokemon stadium, because it is drilling in the short hop while doing another task (firing a missile). While yes a metronome is helpful for timing, my way, running off a platform into a ffmc, helps you get a feel for the fast fall into immediate missile cancel, which is necessary for the fluidity of the tech, the metronome can only help you understand the apex of the jump but it doesnt help you learn the motion of the control stick to make it one motion, which was the purpose of me adding in this bit of training to my list in order to master it.

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
Hahhaha gl, it takes forever
Honestly though it hasn't taken me that long. In my thread about Samus drills I mention I've never done it once. It's been about a week an a half and although I can't do it consistently, I can manage to SHFFMC about 40%. I'm getting close to accomplishing that Samus missile drill you linked. I'm not saying I'm going to master the tech anytime soon, but saying it takes forever is silly.

Litt

Samus
Honestly though it hasn't taken me that long. In my thread about Samus drills I mention I've never done it once. It's been about a week an a half and although I can't do it consistently, I can manage to SHFFMC about 40%. I'm getting close to accomplishing that Samus missile drill you linked. I'm not saying I'm going to master the tech anytime soon, but saying it takes forever is silly.
... any schmuck can get the timing down if they work at it enough, but what you are not looking at in that video are the ledge canceled missiles, as well as the running off fast fall missiles from the low hanging plats, which is in fact harder than shffmcs, and yeah cool 40% of the time not in match... nowwww imagine you having someone running at you and you need to get this 2 frame window down of fast falling and getting the missile out... on top of spacing it correct as to not get ****ed up trying to get this tech out. There has really only been one samus that could do it consistently in tourney, and thats Knuts, everyone else is pretty much like yeah.... i can kinda do it, but when it comes down to it, i wouldnt rely on it in tourney b/c id prob get **** on b/c I cant do it 100%, the difficult of any tech in this game is not unattainable, wave shining multi shines, w/e you want, to learn it in a week or two is certain feasible, and im not disagreeing, but to actually effectively implement into your game is the hard part

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
That's a fair statement, but I thought run off missiles are easier. Honestly I started landing those before I did actual SHFFMC. In the end, all tech is just tech right? It's something you practice to just to move your hands quicker. Implementing anything in an actual game is different than learning the tech. Why do you put newer players down man?

Litt

Samus
Running off yoshis and Pkmn into a fast fall missile? Either you weren't fast falling or you are a very promising new samus. Correct, tech is just tech, :? you can waveshine someone across the stage into an upsmash... useful as hell, but if you cant implement in game... then its useless to have that ability. And its not putting anyone down, Im giving you realistic expectations, if you find them discouraging, then Im sorry, but this is a competitive game bud

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
I'm not new to competitive gaming. The way I see it, you should be happy new players are willing to attempt to main a sub god-tier character. There's a billion fox falco mains out there. Realistic expectations don't help you improve. I never thought I could do short hop platform missiles but now I do them like they are nothing. Realistic expectations are silly in a game like melee. I personally don't get discouraged by you (encouraged if anything), but it still kind of irks me the way you flaunt about on the Samus boards.

And yes, fast fall off Pokemon platforms into MC. I actually did it today several times today in friendlys with my brother. As much as I dislike your tone, I respect you as a player. Your compliment means a lot.

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
I'm not new to competitive gaming. The way I see it, you should be happy new players are willing to attempt to main a sub god-tier character. There's a billion fox falco mains out there. Realistic expectations don't help you improve. I never thought I could do short hop platform missiles but now I do them like they are nothing. Realistic expectations are silly in a game like melee. I personally don't get discouraged by you (encouraged if anything), but it still kind of irks me the way you flaunt about on the Samus boards.

And yes, fast fall off Pokemon platforms into MC. I actually did it today several times today in friendlys with my brother. As much as I dislike your tone, I respect you as a player. Your compliment means a lot.
The point of what I say is to encourage, so even thought you may dislike how I go about things, you are still inspired to prove me wrong and master all the tech. Thats awesome that you are able to utalize that missile tech in matches now, however something I noticed, the more technical I got with samus, the less I would focus on the MU themselves, and more on just getting the tech out, always have to keep in mind that our character has meh priority and we just have to be smart above all else, we have loads of options but if we always choose the most technical, thats an easy way to get read as well. I look forward to seeing a technical samus out there, love watching them because its a sight you still dont get to see much anymore. #RipPhanna

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
The point of what I say is to encourage, so even thought you may dislike how I go about things, you are still inspired to prove me wrong and master all the tech. Thats awesome that you are able to utalize that missile tech in matches now, however something I noticed, the more technical I got with samus, the less I would focus on the MU themselves, and more on just getting the tech out, always have to keep in mind that our character has meh priority and we just have to be smart above all else, we have loads of options but if we always choose the most technical, thats an easy way to get read as well. I look forward to seeing a technical samus out there, love watching them because its a sight you still dont get to see much anymore. #RipPhanna
Yeah I might be the same way. My little brother is my playing partner, and admittedly he's miles better than me. As of late I've somewhat caught up, but last night when we played I got destroyed. 3-4 stocked every time. I'm getting tech down but I have yet to make it out of pools in a tourney.

Litt

Samus
Thats because the more you focus on your own tech, the less aware you are of your opponents intentions, realize when they are actively approaching, and when you can be doing w/e the hell you want to draw their attention thats when missile tech is important, when they are coming at you, throw out your shield a lot, know your OoS options, and if they get grab happy, keep throwing out jabs.

Last edited:

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
Went to a tourney today and actually pulled off retreating platform FFMCs ON PURPOSE. Did really poorly in pools but I'm still proud to be a "Not completely trash" level Samus.

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
I find SHFFMCs somewhat easier than FFMCs off platforms because I know the timing of the FF by heart after a SH, and don't have to time it when I run off a platform...

I've said it already, but I still recommend learning the FF timing with the help of a metronome. I'm not sure if I remember the BPM though. Was it 60 / (28 / 60) = 129?

GoomySmash

Smash Apprentice
I have a question, is it possible to do a full jump fastfall missle cancel with a homing missle?

Top Bottom