• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus Q's

diaperrash89

Smash Cadet
My buddy used to play Samus in Melee, but now he just hates playing her and he has since converted to playing other chars. Did she just get a huge change here in Brawl, is she not viable anymore?

Shadow_Metroid

Smash Rookie
I've noticed a large change, but I didn't care; she was awesome so I mastered her as soon as I bought Brawl. Reasons why she's awesome:

Samus
[x] Samus has extremely strong attacks, especially if you charge side smashes.
[x] Great resistance given from heavy armor which causes lack of speed.
[x] Great tether recovery
[x] Numerous jumping techniques
[x] She changes between two completely different characters
[x] Awesome Final Smash, extremely strong if hit
Zero Suit Samus
[x] Extremely fast
[x] Strong attacks + great charged side-smashes
[x] Plasma Whip: brings the foe toward her, great for techniques
[x] One of the best tether recoveries

ll Mafia ll

Smash Apprentice
Pretty much the consensus now, as of this time, is that she got nerfed like hell.

And then you just find that you have to work harder.
Basically it.

Quez256

Smash Journeyman
This guy is full of it.
Samus is no longer viable. She is completely worthless in Brawl.
I admit she's been seriously knocked down from where she was in Melee, but as it's been said, Melee is not the same as Brawl. I had Samus as my main back then, and I was as ticked off as much as anyone when I discovered how much she had been "nerfed" ; but when you look at how Samus functions in BRAWL, she's still far from worthless. If you need anything else, read Hylian's article that he posted a link to in....darn it, forgot the thread >.>

Edit: Pardon me, the article link is on page 4 of the Q&A thread; sorry I can't link it myself, I'm posting from my Wii for the time.

Gum

Smash Journeyman
This guy is full of it.
Samus is no longer viable. She is completely worthless in Brawl.
Lol, you are a great guy. I havn't had any problems with Samus whatsoever, and I win most matches using her. My tourney placement is generally good. Not sure what you mean by worthless, but to each his own.

Pi

Smash Hero
I don't think samus got knocked down any further on the tier list than in melee, but I really don't think she got improved either. She got changed, and early on we weren't looking for change we were looking for what worked in melee to work in brawl, and it didn't. You can still play a good samus, but she is definitely not top tier, you really have to know her moves and know what works against almost all different characters, and especially what doesn't work.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I've noticed a large change, but I didn't care; she was awesome so I mastered her as soon as I bought Brawl. Reasons why she's awesome:

Samus
[x] Samus has extremely strong attacks, especially if you charge side smashes.
[x] Great resistance given from heavy armor which causes lack of speed.
[x] Great tether recovery
[x] Numerous jumping techniques
[x] She changes between two completely different characters
[x] Awesome Final Smash, extremely strong if hit
Zero Suit Samus
[x] Extremely fast
[x] Strong attacks + great charged side-smashes
[x] Plasma Whip: brings the foe toward her, great for techniques
[x] One of the best tether recoveries
extremely strong attacks? no
good resistance? this isnt pkmn red/blue.....ect
"great" and "tether recovery" should not be used in the same line.
numberous jump techs? what?
yes, she has 2 sides.
final smashes=trash

paul1290

Smash Rookie
I think there's also the fact that Samus got such a big improvement in Melee and having her nerfed again can be a real drag. Samus went from being bottom tier in SSB to being high tier in SSBM only to go down to low tier in SSBB.

That being said, you can still do well with Samus if you know what you're doing.

Quez256

Smash Journeyman
I think there's also the fact that Samus got such a big improvement in Melee and having her nerfed again can be a real drag. Samus went from being bottom tier in SSB to being high tier in SSBM only to go down to low tier in SSBB.

That being said, you can still do well with Samus if you know what you're doing.
I may have missed this, but how was Samus bottom-tier on SSB?

paul1290

Smash Rookie
Samus had almost no combo ability in SSB. There were no missiles back then. Charge shot had a lot more startup lag, took longer to charge, and didn't travel as fast. Her grab was even slower and easier to avoid than it is now. Her roll was even worse.

Back during the SSB days there wasn't as much competition so the tier list didn't matter as much, but my point is she wasn't doing very well at all back then and saw a big improvement in Melee only to get nerfed back down in Brawl.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
Lol, you are a great guy. I havn't had any problems with Samus whatsoever, and I win most matches using her. My tourney placement is generally good. Not sure what you mean by worthless, but to each his own.
Show me the tournaments where you've placed "generally good." Sixteen-man frat boy parties don't count.

Quez256

Smash Journeyman
Samus had almost no combo ability in SSB. There were no missiles back then. Charge shot had a lot more startup lag, took longer to charge, and didn't travel as fast. Her grab was even slower and easier to avoid than it is now. Her roll was even worse.

Back during the SSB days there wasn't as much competition so the tier list didn't matter as much, but my point is she wasn't doing very well at all back then and saw a big improvement in Melee only to get nerfed back down in Brawl.
This is true, but I guess I overlooked her competitive aspects back then since, as you said, competition didn't really exist back then. All I really noticed myself was the fact that she still had a good airgame back then, and, unless I'm mistaken, she was also the only one with a true (lagless) meteor smash. And I can still remember the days of chaingrab/death comboing people off the wall of Sector Z. I suppose it may enlighten me a bit to check the forums now that competition exists.

Top Bottom