• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus Matchup

gallax

Smash Hero
Samus

General Discussion

Soon to Come

Pika's Advantages

??????????????????????????????????????????????????

Pika's Disadvantages

Strategy for Winning

Helpful Video's

Overall Matchup

AranOcean

Smash Ace
NNID
AranOcean
3DS FC
1220-8584-3874
CGs doesn't work on her since Samus is floaty. Don't get under her (double entendre not intended) since her d-air can punish. Get her while she's on the ground since Samus seems most confortable in the air. D-tilt hurts though, so always watch out for that.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Half agree with nova. I'd say our best bet here would be to spam homing missiles like it's our relegion. which means air time, your advantage, QAC'ing. we hate small fast things, you can be those things. our ground game can compare, but you are a lot faster which means you'll get more hits in and do more damage,
I'd give this to pika, at 60-40, i've never found it horribly hard to do in terms of match up's

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Wants tew play a set over the Fi!?!?
we canz determine what works well agaisnt the little rodent and what advantages you have.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
CGs doesn't work on her since Samus is floaty. Don't get under her (double entendre not intended) since her d-air can punish. Get her while she's on the ground since Samus seems most confortable in the air. D-tilt hurts though, so always watch out for that.
This guy knows what he's talking about, but advanced(or at least the good ones) Samus players will go more for Melee combat. That's what I do for Pikachu especially. If they start spamming, you retort with moar spam. Jolts mess her up and can go through/under missiles I think, and charge shots in most cases(obviously not charged ones). If you decide to approach and/or use QAC'ing, watch out for bombs(despite what you might hear on this site), Dsmash, Dtilt, Jabs/Ftilts, Utilt and and Screw Attacks that may catch you off guard. Also watch out for grabs, low charge shots, and homing missile, which aren't as likely since they expect you to get to them first. I kind of disagree with the under her thing unless you spam D-air like me, lol. She doesn't have much, save for bomb stalling, D-air, fastfall N-air, and F-air in some cases. On top of that, stalling is dangerous for them because of Thunder, U-tilts, and such. As far as long range game goes, Samus does have the advantage, but Z-airs, missiles and charge shots are hard to connect on small, speedy targets. If they lay the pressure, back off, throw some Jolts, and or wait for an oppurtunity to break through. I might be off on some stuff, but that's my perspective. Grab release(or maybe a certain throw, can't remember atm) > Utilt/Uair > Nair usually hits me hard, and well timed Thunders are always a pain after a Usmash.
I'd say our best bet here would be to spam homing missiles like it's our relegion. which means air time, your advantage, QAC'ing. we hate small fast things, you can be those things.
...really? Religion? Am I the only Samus who uses Missiles less than Usmash most of the time? :L
our ground game can compare, but you are a lot faster which means you'll get more hits in and do more damage,
I'd give this to pika, at 60-40, i've never found it horribly hard to do in terms of match up's
This I agree with. The match up is debatable, but most likely in Pika's favor.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Samus has superior planking skills with z-cancels and bomb jumps. The one I face regularly just banks at edge when he's in trouble. In terms of pure gimping against a good samus, i'd say samus has easier time gimping pika offstage. At least when right at the edge.

Don't get me wrong... thunder owns, QA can recover from even the most epic of spikes, u-air spam and joltspam will pressure them to insanity.... it's just... in terms of samus realizing, "Hey, i'm just gonna plank real good," its AN AMAZINGLY HARD (or annoying at the least) FIGHT--provided they got skillz. Offstage D-air to z-ledgegrab will gimp any pika that doesn't have the non-cardinal directions down. Samus can z-air t-jolt and Pikachu at the same time if both do a full hop (no more pika autocanceled jolts). Samus can drop from ledge away from the t-jolt arc and z-air through stage and hit pika if he's grounded.

Onstage, both my samus buddy and I feel that Samus definitely is disadvantaged. Samus's still can win, its just harder for most samus's. F-throw to f-throw will work if the samus airdodges or n-airs, f-throw to upsmash will work if she doesn't. U-air is faster than d-air and on stage, pika can place u-air better. The biggest problem i run into is z-airs from far away, retreating f-airs for widening the space, and up-b's. The Samus i face uses u-tilt to kill me more often than d-tilt. SH D-air placement is a must for damage and setup for samus.

I think 60:40 may be a fair number in pika's favor. I do think that its dead 50:50 or slightly towards Samus's favor depending on stage and skilled edge-planking. Ask for stealth's input. He played me with his samus and did a fairly good job.

*i don't like near-fully charged shots, always surprises me without the massive hitlag/hitstun.... lol. With one split second of bad DI, i died at 89 damage on BF. O_O.

Edit: I'll see if i can get some vids up soon of this matchup. We do this alot since he only plays with samus.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
LOL wall of text batman.
yes I believe your the only one that uses Up smash mroe than missiles, in either way, none of those moves really help us much in this match-up, he's to fast. best bet for us is to stay grounded and go aggressive. which means no jumping to missiling. and spam F tilts, tilted down :D thosee are Mah Fave!

Tell your friend to hop on smash baords :D we need moar representation

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Jolts mess her up and can go through/under missiles I think, and charge shots in most cases(obviously not charged ones).
Taken directly from the Pikachu guide, here are the results of my testing tjolt vs. Samus's projectiles:

Code:
Samus - Charge Shot: If uncharged, both cancelled; if fully charged, Charge Shot goes through tjolt
Samus - Missile: Both cancelled
Samus - Super Missile: Both cancelled
Samus - Bomb: Bomb stopped, but its hitbox still comes out
Tjolt has a weird trajectory on the ground, so it may bounce around/under projectiles (especially homing missiles), but that's how they interact if they collide. If Pika's gonna camp, he has to move to mid-ish range, because at long range, Samus can out-spam him.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Samus can out camp pika no matter where pika is. re word would be nice, I think though you mean camp but have many options, we have pretty good options as well though as if we camp we always missile cancel meaning we can move almost as soon as we touch the ground, same with you, the way I find it you guys shouldn't camp in this, and if you do, camp smart. really smart. fire a tjolt then use QAC. that's pushing two attacks on us at once which suckss.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Samus can out camp pika no matter where pika is. re word would be nice, I think though you mean camp but have many options, we have pretty good options as well though as if we camp we always missile cancel meaning we can move almost as soon as we touch the ground, same with you, the way I find it you guys shouldn't camp in this, and if you do, camp smart. really smart. fire a tjolt then use QAC. that's pushing two attacks on us at once which suckss.
I wasn't referring to straight-up camping (should've made that more clear). Barring a few matchups vs. slow, projectile-less characters, Pika's camping should always be a way to create an opening for melee combat, not an attempt to mindlessly shoot tjolts.

At mid-range, Pikachu has the mobility and distance to avoid/cancel most of Samus's wall of spam while being close enough to rush in as soon as there's a moment when she's open.

Koala

Smash Cadet
How much of a pain, if any, is samus zair in this matchup? It would definately be able to put the pressure on pikachu when in midrange, but I didn't know if pika's size would help him to not get hit as much as other characters.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
How much of a pain, if any, is samus zair in this matchup? It would definately be able to put the pressure on pikachu when in midrange, but I didn't know if pika's size would help him to not get hit as much as other characters.
It's an annoyance, but unless you keep running into it, it's not bad. Pika's fast enough to get around zair spam.

Baiting it is fun, but that's player-dependent, of course.

Top Bottom