• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus' at CEO

leiraD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TacoShell
Hello Samus lovers! I just wanted to get a feel as to what kind of Samus representation we'll have at CEO this weekend. I'll be there, playing Samus only all weekend long and hopefully repping her well. Will anyone else be there?

MegaRiff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaRiff
I will not, but please tell us how you do, and of course tell us how you positively changed everyone's perspective on this underrated character! We're rooting for you.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Good luck man, I'm hoping you and other Samus mains can put on good performances at CEO + Evo to shake off her bad reputation, so no pressure ;)

ToTs

Smash Artist
NNID
x_ToTs_x
I hope I see some Samus on stream, it's been a struggle finding loads of content since she's not popular.

Good Luck bro.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
I know FL is the Samus state but I live in the Seattle area. I want you guys to kick some ass though.

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
I won't be able to enter, will be out of town Saturday :/ I plan on coming by Sunday though. Hopefully I can get friendlies in lol

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
I wish you all the best of luck from Boston! Hope to see some being streamed!

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
That's a pity @ Depth_ Depth_ I for one was very keen on seeing you play! Don't get cold feet, there's only 1 winner and 100+ losers so there's no shame to losing!

Depth_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SoDepth
Some personal things came up as well. I'd be way too stressed and I'm kind of pulling my hair out right now. I really feel bad about this, though. I wanted CEO to be that tournament that put Samus on the map. All of my friends are telling me that I would be the one to do it, but now just isn't a good time.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
How goes the war?! Any updates? Anyone make it out of pools? Go Samus!

Last edited:

MegaRiff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaRiff
Been watching the stream all day. Never got a chance to see either of them play unfortunately.

In the link it shows IeiraD sent gimr to losers. Samus hype!
That alone is enough to be excited over, though! And Tumultus almost made it out of the losers bracket!

MegaRiff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaRiff
I think he mentioned before that he would use Samus against a Luigi. So I was crossing my fingers for it.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
I faced a Luigi in top 8 at my most recent tournament and between bombs and zair, that MU is actually lookin pretty free

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
That match also shows that while top players can and do tech the up-tilt meteor, they also miss. Really like the use of up-tilt, it's become a huge part of my own playstyle over the past few months. We really need teching frame data, I'm pretty sure up-tilt->d-tilt is frame confirmed on tech.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Remember, Larry is from WC and i highly doubt he has any exp vs Samus.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
It wouldn't matter, Luigi has no way in vs Samus, he just had to take the loss and cp for an easy win next game. But yes Larry has played jwest with his fox at least

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
I mean when the match starts theres enough space to charge enough to beat fireballs so immediately theyre unsafe, land a hit or they fail to powershield they slide far enough away to charge again. Even if you dont have it charged you can retreat to ledge and camp and zair through them, or powershield them to jab or grab as he approaches, or roll past him as he approaches and run away to space and charge more, or on platfrom stages jump away. I dunno why you said for some reason like she wouldn't have her Charge Shot charged, thats literally the most important thing Samus needs to do in this MU, and Luigi is floaty enough and slippy enough for it to not be difficult to find opportunities to do so.

And when you can't fireball because we have a Charge Shot, we can just keep you out with Zair and Bombs

Last edited:

TriTails

Smash Lord
If a Luigi lets Samus charge her Charge Shot to her fullest without throwing Fireballs to interrupt her then he deserves to be camped.

And Luigi doesn't need to shield Charge Shot. At some distances he can just roll through them. Not too close to Samus tho...

Samus' run speed is about as same as Luigi's, and her rolls are possibly the slowest in the entire game. Not sure why she'd roll through Luigi with such slow roll that can be punsihed easily.

You Z-air through Fireballs? He'll fire more as he doesn't need to approach from mid-range. He doesn't care how much Fireballs you Z-air, he cares on how he himself is doing, and he is clearly out of Z-air range, unless you are telling me Z-air outranges Fireballs, and Samus is currently at a bad position unless, like I said, she has her Charge Shot charged. Even then, he can shield it, take the shield pushback, and go approach you again as you don't have time to fully charge another one (Yes. You don't).

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
You don't need anywhere near full charge to beat them, you need little over half, and I said we Zair when you can't Fireball, not that it beats it, and at the start of the match there is nothing he can do to stop her getting over half charge. Also a smart Samus is only firing her CS to punish Fireball use so there's no time to roll through them, and then after Luigi realises Fireballs aren't safe its simple Zair and Bomb walling, if he wants to keep Fireballing we'll just continue to punish. Obviously I'm not saying we always have CS and that Luigi never gets in, just that it's very difficult for him to do so

As for the roll its slow but its also very long and luigi cant turn around quickly, so rolling through an approach is viable

Last edited:

TriTails

Smash Lord
Luigi doesn't spam Fireballs mindlessly. Would be foolish to do so. A half-charged CS should be easy enough for him to shield and I imagine it doesn't do as much pushback as the fully charged one does. And if he gets into Fireballs' range you don't have time to charge a CS.

And also, Shield + Dash in opposite direction > Turning around while running. Luigi can also Cyclone to change his momentum and hit Samus as he turns around very quickly. He can also kinda roll backward and still punish Samus.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
That's the thing we charge before you get there to make fireballs an unsafe option, We don't punish him for using fireballs mindlessly because if they're smart they won't fire them whilst we have a charge shot in our pocket, we just take away the option with the presence of the CS, then beat out Luigi's other options with our spacing tools

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
If a Luigi lets Samus charge her Charge Shot to her fullest without throwing Fireballs to interrupt her then he deserves to be camped.

And Luigi doesn't need to shield Charge Shot. At some distances he can just roll through them. Not too close to Samus tho...

Samus' run speed is about as same as Luigi's, and her rolls are possibly the slowest in the entire game. Not sure why she'd roll through Luigi with such slow roll that can be punsihed easily.

You Z-air through Fireballs? He'll fire more as he doesn't need to approach from mid-range. He doesn't care how much Fireballs you Z-air, he cares on how he himself is doing, and he is clearly out of Z-air range, unless you are telling me Z-air outranges Fireballs, and Samus is currently at a bad position unless, like I said, she has her Charge Shot charged. Even then, he can shield it, take the shield pushback, and go approach you again as you don't have time to fully charge another one (Yes. You don't).
Zair goes through the fireball and still hits Luigi if you space it right. If you are talking about a max range fireball, who cares? We can SHAD through it or retreat with a bomb (or other option) and just avoid it. Anyone Samus can just run away from has a very hard time beating her.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Why is a Luigi vs Samus matchup being discussed in a thread about the Samus pressense at CEO? Get out of our threads Luigi! Go toot your second rate pipe popping butt somewhere else.

leiraD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TacoShell
Luigi doesn't spam Fireballs mindlessly. Would be foolish to do so. A half-charged CS should be easy enough for him to shield and I imagine it doesn't do as much pushback as the fully charged one does. And if he gets into Fireballs' range you don't have time to charge a CS.

And also, Shield + Dash in opposite direction > Turning around while running. Luigi can also Cyclone to change his momentum and hit Samus as he turns around very quickly. He can also kinda roll backward and still punish Samus.
Watch the esam vs larry lurr game. Esam did sh zair over two fireballs, put the damage on luigi, and since zair auto-canceled upon landing, still had plenty of time to power shield both fireballs. Fireballs were virtually useless. Personally, I think that match-up is so easy for Samus. I played Larry in some friendlies, and despite that he's a much better player than I am, his luigi was a really easy matchup to deal with.

Sorry I didn't update at all guys. Internet was terrible in the venue. I didn't make it out of my pool, but I beat Gimr, and took games off of Ed (the shiek), Phuzix, Tony Thorton, and KDB in friendlies, as well as a bunch of no-names. It was lots of fun, and I got to watch Esam kick butt as Samus. Next time, I'll try to make it a little farther and show off some more Samus goodies :)

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Watch the esam vs larry lurr game. Esam did sh zair over two fireballs, put the damage on luigi, and since zair auto-canceled upon landing, still had plenty of time to power shield both fireballs. Fireballs were virtually useless. Personally, I think that match-up is so easy for Samus. I played Larry in some friendlies, and despite that he's a much better player than I am, his luigi was a really easy matchup to deal with.

Sorry I didn't update at all guys. Internet was terrible in the venue. I didn't make it out of my pool, but I beat Gimr, and took games off of Ed (the shiek), Phuzix, Tony Thorton, and KDB in friendlies, as well as a bunch of no-names. It was lots of fun, and I got to watch Esam kick butt as Samus. Next time, I'll try to make it a little farther and show off some more Samus goodies :)
Zair doesn't autocancel it just has super low landing lag time (8 frames). Otherwise, exactly right :) Great job vs. GimR.

Last edited:
Top Bottom