• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SamuraiPanda's Translation Thread UPDATED: 11/1

MHv3MegaManX

Smash Rookie
I agree w/ the whole issue of balance... I mean less charaters isnt neccessarily bad if the game comes out great as a whole in the end. I say we just wait till they reveal the standard roster, then continue on discussing once we see all the characters. (unlocked and all) Losses can be bad for some... but good for all when all is said and done.

Rowe

Smash Cadet
Kokichi said:
Honestly, I don't think that Young Link will be taken out. He seems to important to be removed. After all, Link is actually a boy. If the game wanted to be correct, they would have called Young Link "Link" and Link "Adult Link". However, since most people have the misconception that Link is an adult (since it was hard to decern from the NES / SNES games), and since adult Link was in the first Smash, the naming stuck. Thus, I can't see Sakurai removing such a beloved and, honestly, true character, especially since he'll be starring in a new DS game, as well as most likely the next Zelda game after TP.
WW Link is different than Young Link. Though, once again I hope they make Young Link into WW Link so they cover both of the currently used Links. His huge spin could be his orb super.

ArichTheViking

Smash Apprentice
Allright, there are 5 confirmed returners… Here are my rankings for the likelihood of return for the rest…

1. Donkey Kong (99.9%)
2. Fox (99.9%)
3. Yoshi (99.9%)
4. Marth (95%)
5. Luigi (95%)
6. Bowser (95%)
7. Jigglypuff (95%)
8. Captain Falcon (95%)
9. Peach (90%)
10. Ice Climbers (90%)
11. Ness (80% - could be replaced with different Mother character)
12. Zelda/Sheik (80% - could be separated and Zelda given TP design)
13. Mewtwo (80%)
14. Game and Watch (70%)
15. Ganondorf (60% - new moveset?)
16. Falco (25%)
17. Dr. Mario (25%)
18. Young Link (25%)
19. Pichu (20%)
20. Roy (10%)

Argue. Discuss.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Rowe said:
WW Link is different than Young Link. Though, once again I hope they make Young Link into WW Link so they cover both of the currently used Links. His huge spin could be his orb super.
I know that, lore-wise, WW Link is different than OoT Link, though I'm making the association between the two because they are both "young" Links.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Personally, to further distinguish the differences between the Links, I think (and hope) that they give Adult Link the ability to transform into a wolf.

And just for kicks, I have to suggest that Young Link should put on a mask to transform to Deku Link, and Gannondorf should transform into Ganon. Just so we can keep with the whole "Zelda characters transforming" theme.

Kryian

Smash Journeyman
ArichTheViking said:
Allright, there are 5 confirmed returners… Here are my rankings for the likelihood of return for the rest…

1. Donkey Kong (99.9%)
2. Fox (99.9%)
3. Yoshi (99.9%)
4. Marth (95%)
5. Luigi (95%)
6. Bowser (95%)
7. Jigglypuff (95%)
8. Captain Falcon (95%)
9. Peach (90%)
10. Ice Climbers (90%)
11. Ness (80% - could be replaced with different Mother character)
12. Zelda/Sheik (80% - could be separated and Zelda given TP design)
13. Mewtwo (80%)
14. Game and Watch (70%)
16. Falco (25%)
17. Dr. Mario (25%)
18. Young Link (25%)
19. Pichu (20%)
20. Roy (10%)

Argue. Discuss.
What would make Marth so exponentially more likely to return than Roy? Aren't they both from the same 1 game?

PillSpammer

Smash Rookie
Voodoo Daddy said:
Doc can go (although I'll miss him) only if Mario plays exactly like Doc. Doc is just... a better character. Wether or not you prefer him or not is your own business but Doc is just a nudge up.
Agreed. If they take out Doc they have to give Mario a Doctor's suit outfit to choose and his fireballs better bounce exactly like pills. ;)

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Kryian, I'd be willing to venture that it's because Marth is more popular in SSBM (and a much better character) than Roy. I'm sure that Sakurai and his team have heard that Marth is more popular than Roy by their constituents, and would therefore axe Roy if need be.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
ArichTheViking said:

Odds... long list of odds.

Argue. Discuss.
If we were in vegas and I had money riding on this, I'd put Falco higher (At least as high, or maybe a little lower than Gannondorf) with the possibility of his own moveset. I'd also put Pichu at the bottom, as much as I'd love to spite all the Pichu-haters. He does seem like the most superfluous of the clone characters. I'd also switch Roy and Dr. Mario's chances. I'd also put G&W 10% lower and Ness 5 to 10% higher. Maybe it would be clearer to post my own odds list.

1. Donkey Kong (99.9%)
2. Fox (99.9%)
3. Yoshi (99.9%)
4. Luigi (99.9%)
5. Marth (95%)
6. Bowser (95%)
7. Jigglypuff (95%)
8. Captain Falcon (95%)
9. Peach (95% - chances are she'll be nerfed)
10. Ice Climbers (90%)
11. Zelda/Sheik (90% - could be separated and Zelda given TP design - Nerfed?)
12. Ness (85% - could be replaced with different Mother character)
13. Mewtwo (80%)
14. Game and Watch (60%)
16. Falco (60% - New moveset?)
17. Roy (25%)
18. Young Link (25%)
19. Dr. Mario (15%)
20. Pichu (10%)

ArichTheViking

Smash Apprentice
Roy was just the lead character from the next FE game when Melee came out, a GBA game released only in Japan. Now that game has come and passed, and there are a bunch of more worthy FE characters who could replace Roy, especially from more recent console games which came out or are coming out outside of Japan. Now with the announcment that some characters WILL be leaving, I think its more of a lock than ever that Roy gets the boot.

Marth meanwhile was the lead in the original FE and the 3rd one, and therefore is the no-brainer inclusion from FE. Given his popularity in Melee and the fact that Nintendo is promoting the VC, I think he's basically a lock for inclusion.

ilabb

Smash Apprentice
Really though, why do so many people want G&W out? I didn't personally like him, but he's super-unique and has a cult fanbase if anything.

I also think that Zelda will be her TP form and Shiek will be his/her own selectable character. I'd really like that more than the whole transforming thing.

Master_Sheik

Smash Journeyman
dracleath said:
I
I think sheik might end up getting cut outright though, it seems like a waste to have a whole character based on something zelda did in one game, and shiek is popular but her moves aren't particularly visually impressive or original. I think she'll be in as an alt costume for zelda with zeldas moveset.
OMG, could this be true? Sheik is simply beloved by far too many (Including ME!) to get the boot. Her moves may not be visually impressive; however, she is a staple in Melee. In SSBM, she offered a totally unique move set and game styling. I have no objection whatsoever with Sheik being separated from Zelda, but to totally be forgotten! Blasphemy! ~Ok, maybe I’m getting a bit carried away with this, but I LOVE Sheik. Sheik’s speed is rivaled only by the likes of Fox, and C. Falcon! Her attacks although weak are simply combolicious! And don’t even get me started on her Smash attacks, …..simply crushingly powerful. I will admit that Sheik was a little over powered in SSBM, however I would gladly sacrifice that power for her inclusion is SSBB. :cry: Kokichi…McFox…is this really true?!?!? :cry: …How could it have come to this, ppl…please share your thoughts.

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
nomis said:
I think Sakurai is lying. He'll surprise us all with Pichu being the last unlockable character, making us laugh and very angry at the same time.
Heheh, imagine if 18 of the ssbm characters were unlockable and you get them las, leaving the begining roster with the most of the new people.... oh wouldn't that be ironic :laugh:

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
Here are my probabilities:

(1)Mario, (2)Link, (3)Pikachu, and (4)Kirby - Confirmed; 100%

(5)Donkey Kong, (6)Fox, (7)Yoshi, (8)Luigi, (9)Jigglypuff, (10)Ness, (11)Samus (suited), and (12)Captian Falcon - Nothing less than 95% (They wouldn't split up the original Smash fighters...would they?)

(13)Falco, (14)Y. Link, and (15) Ganondorf - 90% (Of all six clones, these ones have the greatest chance of returning with a new(er) moveset.)

(16)Zelda/(17)Shiek - 85% (Preferably as two seperate characters.)

(18)Marth - 85% (Fire Emblem needs a represenative and who better than the third top tier of Melee?)

(19)Peach - 85% (She has decent moves. She has a large fanbase. She is fourth in the tier list... She's in.)

(20)Bowser and (21)Mewtwo - 80% (Link gets his villian and Kirby gets his...why not the top two most selling game characters in history? I also see Fox gaining one of three possible villians [Wolf, Andrew, or Scales] as well as one of his sidekicks [Skippy or Krystal.])

(22)Ice Climbers and (23) Mr. G&W - 50% (They provide a bit of history about Nintendo; they (along with Ness) mix old scholl with new school.)

(24)Roy, (25)Pichu, and (26)Dr. Mario - Less than 25% (These three characters were really nothing but fillers. Sakurai said himself that they had a hard time finding the right characters... If anyone goes, these three are first on the list.)

xianfeng

Smash Hero
It'll proberly be Doc and Pichu that are removed but still

**** this **** so many ****ing people are going to be ****ing pissed at this ****ing **** head

dan smith

Smash Champion
I'm suddenly a huge proponent of alternative costumes.

Roy can be a Marth costume

Doc a Mario costume.

Pichu a Pikachu costume.

Young Link a Link costume.

The costumes would of course come with some differences...but it would save space, I think.

I agree that it's lame that they might take out some fairly original characters in Brawl, and yet, they added Zamus...who is just another Samus. Double you tee eff? Definately costume material.

Zelda and Sheik though, no way should Sheik be a Zelda costume. That idea is way lame. They've already got a cool thing going, why ruin that?

Oh well, I'm just hoping Ness returns.

kmkzSP1K3R

Smash Apprentice
dan smith said:

I agree that it's lame that they might take out some fairly original characters in Brawl, and yet, they added Zamus...who is just another Samus. Double you tee eff? Definately costume material.
zsSamus does not bear the Chozosuit therefore she will not be played anything like samus. this is definiteyl TRUE new character material(unless they give her a moveset that is similar to a current melee character's, but i doubt it). she will be "NEW".

as much as i want all the characters to return, i understand why they are going to cut characters out and such. i mean i REALLY love how each character in Melee plays(even tho i dont use 6 of them, but hey those who we dont use are used by others), characters WILL get cut and some of their movesets WILL bill be changed no matter what. If you compare Smash65 and Melee, the transition was monumental gameplay wise, and Brawl will probably be no different(give or take some).

What i'm trying to say is, we should just calm down...IT'LL BE OK...they know what they're doing. Those of us who played Smash64 had certain main characters and their favorites, but when we moved to Melee, some werent all satisfied at first because they favorite characters had changed. But alas, we adapted to the new speed, movesets, and the characters themselves and we chose new mains and new favorites.

All im saying is that Brawl will most likely be like that. it'll be fine guys, i swear we might be mad the first few days but after playing it for a while, we'll get our grooves back. im POSITIVE!!! everything will be alright.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Again, I'll bet my chiness that Young Link will *not* be cut. Young Link is the actual "Link" - it's Adult Link, or SSB's "Link", that is the secondary Link. Young Link, being just as much of a crucial part to the Zelda series as Ganondorf or Sheik, will be in the game. In fact, I think there's a higher chance of YL being in and Sheik not than vice versa.

Aiser

Smash Lord
Kryian said:
What would make Marth so exponentially more likely to return than Roy? Aren't they both from the same 1 game?
No Marth is from Fire Emblem 1, While Roy was from Fire Emblem 6.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I predict and hope that Pichu will be removed.

Mario will probably be retooled to be a combo of his former self and Dr. Mario (with Doc as a costume).

Roy really could just... go. They need to bring in an axe- or spear-wielder from FE. Now that would rock.

I really can't see any other characters not returning.

Now, what gets me most excited is the retooling of most if not all existing characters. I mean, who would want to play this game if it were nothing but Melee with more characters and maps. Boring.

But, this improved aerial game has me worried a bit. Right now, SHFFLing rules the game, if a character doesn't have SHFFLing potential, forget it. So, with this new aerial prospect, we could be looking at either another mid-air jump (unlikely, as it would make it too easy to get back on the stage, having people resort to boring smash-kills rather than crafty edge-guarding), or some kind of slower air combat with more combo potential.

Whatever, I don't even care, I can't wait to play this game.

Energismus

Smash Rookie
I don't want to see them have too many unique characters. Well, I *do*, but not at the expense of character balance. They had a hard enough time balancing the characters in the first two titles.

[EDIT: Greyed out because this point has already been mentioned]They could make plenty of clones. Artwork and sounds are easy compared to game balance. They could just have each of the clones be an alternate costume for a primary character. For example, you could choose Link and then switch him to Young Link, but the character would still handle exactly like Link. You would just get different graphics and sounds. The same could apply to Pikachu: players could also switch it to Pichu or Raichu.

What I am crossing my fingers for is to see them make a serious effort to balance "strong" character (Bowser, Donkey Kong) with "fast" characters (Fox, Shiek). It doesn't cut it to simply give the strong characters a few quick, powerful moves. The fundamental system needs to be re-designed. For example, they could make it so that strong character get a number of attacks that can still knock opponents around a bit when they shield the blow.

Hey, there's another dimension of balance they could add--Some characters (Link, maybe?) could have stronger shields than others. If they implemented the above idea with power moves that can knock you around while shielded, the characters with better shields would be able to withstand bigger blows without being knocked back. Heck, even in SSBM you slide back when you shield a hit. With this idea, charaters with powerfuls shields could cause the opposite affect on weaker opponents--When shielding an attack, the attacker gets pushed back.

Anyway, my point is that the biggest thing I'm hoping to see in SSBB is almost all of the primary characters be viable at tournament level. That's asking a great deal, but it would give the game such an insane amount of replay value it would be sick...

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Energismus, balancing slow with fast characters is something that game designers have had to deal with since the days of SF2. Back then, Chun Li ruled. In most fighting games I can think of, the slow characters always get beat by the fast, nimble characters. My hope would be that they don't really slow down the slow characters so much - or, if they do, to really make sure that they need a ton of percent before they get knocked off the stage. For example, Bowser would need ~150% to equal Sheik's ~85%.

Platano

Smash Rookie
well in my opinion they should keep all the characters [exept maybe pichu]and bring in at least 12 new characters even though they say its to much work. Think about if they work normaly what would they're profits look like making consumers happy would bring in more money than making it how they think is "best" notice my quatation marks. and isn't street fighter part of the nintendo family? cause they were in SNES. And please don't take my falco.

Aiser

Smash Lord
They'll probably keep the popular characters, and remove some of the not so popular to make room for the new comers.

Exodecai101

Smash Apprentice
Heres my look on the 25(26 including shiek/zelda)

Dr. Mario - Maybe Cut, if he is, he'll probably be a costume of Marios
Mario - If you think he's being cut give me what your smoking please
Luigi - See Mario
Bowser - Why would they cut him, he's the main mario villian, and they can't afford to drop villians, they only have 5 right now(Bowser,Mewtwo,Ganondorf,Meta Knight,Wario(although not 100% a villian))
Peach - They have little to no females, why would she be removed
Yoshi - See Mario
DK - See Mario
Ganondorf - IF anything he'll get his own moveset, i can't see the king of thieves being removed
Falco - See Ganondorf
Fox - See Mario
Ness - As much as I hate him, he won't be removed
Ice Climbers - Mehhh, they may be removed idk
Kirby - See Mario
Samus - See Mario
Zelda/Shiek - They may keep the 2 together or seperate them
Link - See Mario
Young Link - Either he'll stay/be cut/become a alternate link costume
Pichu - Say Goodbye :D(sorry I hate him)
Pikachu - See Mario
Jigglypuff - See Mario
Mewtwo - I can't see him being removed, he may get a nice upgrade though
Mr.G@W - 50/50 on him, HE wasn't so good but then again he's a classic, all I ask is he gets a bit stronger
Marth - I see him staying
Roy - As much as I like him to stay, he may either be dropped or make a marth costume

I can't see any of the first 12 being removed from this game

Voodoo Daddy

Smash Journeyman
Marth should be replaced with Ike. In the Fire Emblem universe... NO ONE LIKES MARTH.

EDIT: One thing I would like to know is how many people are working on content (characters and the like) and how many people are working on Online aspects, these are usually two different teams, so the 50 people that are working on the game could be 30/20. In this case they would be less efficient.

And as far as game developers go, Sakurai is simply one of the best. He's an AMAZING programmer, Super Smash Brothers started when he wrote an algorhythm that changes the distance a character is launched depending on a certain percentage, he believed the dynamic of a fighting game should change depending on damage taken, that is easily the most original aspect of smash. So the quality of this game will be top notch and an improvement of melee. However the actually base code (the engine and such) will most probably be the same, they'll just remake the characters. In case you are wondering, Super Smash Brothers Melee was created from the ground up mainly because the N64 hardware and the Gamecube hardware were very different. In this instance, the Wii and Gamecube are very similar which makes developing the game much more efficient.

RoyalLance

Smash Apprentice
Platano said:
and isn't street fighter part of the nintendo family?
No, not all. Capcom has always owned Street Fighter.

As for who won't be around for Brawl, I have a list of character I think the developers may do away with.

Ganondorf - I think Ganondorf may leave and be replaced by the classic Ganon, either that or give Ganondorf the ability to transform into Ganon as super move.

Pichu - Pikachu clone who hurts itself. Why bother to keep?

Sheik - I know this is a surprise but I find it hard belive that the Smash team will keep Sheik's availability the same as it is in Melee. Be prepared to see Smash game where Zelda will have to grab a Super Smash Item (or whatevet that thing will be called, the thing Mario grabbed in the trailer) to transform, or a 100% Sheik-free game.

Ice Climbers, Ness, and Game & Watch - I know that Ness was in the first two Smash game but I think these characters will step aside for a different roster of old-school characters like Pit.

Young Link and Dr. Mario - I think Super Smash Bros. Brawl will ultimately have only one Mario and only one Link.

Captain Falcon - I don't see anything overwhelmingly negative about Captain Falcon but I just have a hunch his spot on brawl is not ironclad.

Falling Whistness

Smash Apprentice
SamuraiPanda said:
More accurate? Actually, no. These people are scanlators, so its their job to translate into coherent English, so the second one posted is actually less accurate, just prettier. I translated mine to keep in mind the very subtle hints he could throw in, and allow people debating about SSBB to be able to have more room for interpreting it, despite the fact it was translated into English ^_^
I meant of the two on that page. Not in reference to yours.

Exodecai101

Smash Apprentice
Ganondorf removed *sees the bombs now* that just can't happen o_o(same goes with Bowser, wheather he sucked or not)

bball2012

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, all the original Smash 64 characters will stay. That's a given. I'm thinking they will nix Pichu and Roy almost certainly. I'm hoping they don't cut Young Link and and Doc because I like them both better than their mainstay counterparts. It's really a matter of whether they're trying to cut down on obscure characters that aren't overly used (Ice Climbers, Game and Watch) to be replaced with high-profile 3rd party characters or if they just want to kill the clones (Doc, Young Link, Ganondorf). Both of these ideas are discouraging, but ultimately, we'll get over it.

I think 35 is the magic number. 40+ seems unlikely to me with them struggling with online latency, creating unique movesets for everyone, and developing a meaty single-player campaign. I could see the number dipping as low as 30, really.

Thanks for the translation, Panda. Really appreciated.

Myztek

Smash Ace
I just read through all of these posts x_x

Anyway, I'm just going to hope for the best, and Falco better stay! Also, if he looks like the StarFox Assault Gamecube version with the oddly shaped head, I'll be sad.

Master_Sheik

Smash Journeyman
Voodoo Daddy said:
Sheik and Captain Falcon are two of the most popular characters... there is NO WAY they are taking them out.
I completely agree with you. Let's face it, Nintendo will never fail to include one of its most popular racing franchises. If anything, I predict that the F-Zero character set will increase to include at least one more person who will most likely take on Gannondorf’s current moveset. Then there Sheik, there is no way in HE Double Hockey Sticks that she will be removed. Sheik is one of the most handled characters in the Melee universe; Sheik actually contributed more to the game than Zelda herself. However, in Brawl, I can clearly understand Zelda gaining a separate character slot and even a Twilight princess look…but Sheik could possibly still be a transformation for Zelda. My point is this, to remove Sheik is to remove millions of fans…however after we get through B*@&*$( and moaning, we’ll comeback and find a new main. Furthermore, I just wanted to share my thoughts on Link and Young Link. I hope that the designers incorporate the new cat girl thing from Twilight princess (Can’t think of her name) into Brawl, assigning Young Link as a costume to Adult Link. Let’s not forget that the Wii is a revolution in gaming, simply because costumes in Melee offered the same movesets, it does not mean that this can’t change in Brawl. Think about Pikachu/Pichu(killing himself), Mario/Dr. Mario(electrocuting the competition, Peach/Daisy(who knows), Pacman/Mrs. Pacman (Pacman with a bow), Luigi/Vacuum Luigi (Giving Kirby a little competition), Yoshi/Boshi(think old school Yoshi from the 64 days…sweet huh?),Sonic/Shadow(Different Colors? LOL), and my favorite…Megaman/Bass/Protoman/Roll(LOL, megaman followers would die happily.) Although the last one isn’t very realistic, you can understand my main point here.

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
Does anyone else think Nintendo are BSing us?

How much effort could cut&pasting take?

PLEASE KEEP CLONES!!! When they have 2 weeks till release,
They should see how many clones they could quickly slap
together and dash into the game.

Top Bottom