• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Salty Streams, a new way to watch streams

Shears

Smash Master
http://saltystreams.com

I just finished making Salty Streams and would like to get some feedback. Salty Streams allows streamers to give their viewers a more entertaining and interactive experience to traditional twitch viewing. Salty Streams allows viewers to bet on streamed matches. There is a full time SSB64 stream at http://saltystreams.com/SaltyStreams where users can bet on CPU matches and side bets that go along with it. The full time SSB64 stream was made possible by some great emulator hacking work from @Madao

Anyone who is a streamer and TO should definitely check this out as it gives your viewers a much more involved viewing experience. Streamers/TOs can create their own Salty Stream for their channel, link their social pages, upload their own logo, choose the skin for their stream, and manage their own shop and custom emotes. We ran Salty Streams with darkhorses channel at Xanadu on Monday and will do so again this Monday.

Some quick links for resources:
Home: http://saltystreams.com
SSB64: http://saltystreams.com/SaltyStreams
DarkHorse: http://saltystreams.com/DarkHorse
FAQ: http://saltystreams.com/faq.aspx

Please direct all questions, comments, suggestions towards me as I would like to improve Salty Streams the best I can.

Last edited:

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
I really like this idea; good work! It definitely would make the streaming experience a lot more interesting. I can't wait to see this on big streams in the future!

Elin

Your face is strange... Is it always like that?
NNID
ShinySilverEevee
3DS FC
5301-1189-1305
Shears you're triple posting!

You could get banned if a mod notices.

caneut

Smash Ace
I think you should use twitch chat as the main chat for the individual stream, so you don't seperate the chat from the people who don't want to use the site and those who do.

Shears

Smash Master
I think you should use twitch chat as the main chat for the individual stream, so you don't seperate the chat from the people who don't want to use the site and those who do.
What are you talking about? If you don't want to use the site, you just won't be on the site. If you're on the site and don't want to bet, then just click the twitch chat tab, it takes less than a second and you have everything you had on twitch. Salty chat is also better than twitch chat as it has better emotes and uses alternating background colors to make it easier to read and distinguish messages. Have you actually been on it and used it or are you just assuming things again? Its literally the easiest thing to use and gives you everything you had on twitch and more. Really theres no reason not to use it.

caneut

Smash Ace
What are you talking about? If you don't want to use the site, you just won't be on the site. If you're on the site and don't want to bet, then just click the twitch chat tab, it takes less than a second and you have everything you had on twitch. Salty chat is also better than twitch chat as it has better emotes and uses alternating background colors to make it easier to read and distinguish messages. Have you actually been on it and used it or are you just assuming things again? Its literally the easiest thing to use and gives you everything you had on twitch and more. Really theres no reason not to use it.
Please don't jump to conclusions. If there was only one stream everyone would be talking in one chat. When you have some people who just watch on twitch, they only see twitch chat. You also have randoms that find the stream just by browsing twitch database. All those people only see the twitch chat.

Then you have another group of people who are chatting in the saltybets chat. Two separate chats for one stream. What more do I have to say other than we shouldn't be splitting up smash chats.

And no one above the age of 12 gives a **** about emotes.

Shears

Smash Master
Hey deadbeat, those people have access to twitch chat so they're not getting divided. It's simply an alternative that gives users and steamers more options. Go troll sm4sh and melee, when you senselessly attack your own community you're just a douche. Grow up and be supportive. It's an overlay. Use it or don't use it. It's simply an extension to twitch.

caneut

Smash Ace
Hey deadbeat, those people have access to twitch chat so they're not getting divided. It's simply an alternative that gives users and steamers more options. Go troll sm4sh and melee, when you senselessly attack your own community you're just a douche. Grow up and be supportive. It's an overlay. Use it or don't use it. It's simply an extension to twitch.
But when me and knite were watching Neb last week, it WAS divided. Can't fight those kinda FACTS.

Combo Blaze

Smash Ace
Yeah I'm with cane on this. Unless chat is at like 1k+ veiwers with people just spamming random ****, it's better to have both chats in 1.

Shears

Smash Master
Or just have everyone in the salty chat. No reason to use twitch chat. It was only divided because knite and cane refused to get in the salty chat. The point of having a separate chat is to give another reason to use salty streams. It has a better product so its an incentive to use it. Why are you so hard pressed on using twitch chat? Why not just use the salty chat?

Shears

Smash Master
To give users more options. If you want to tell someone in twitch to move over to salty streams, you can easily go into twitch chat and tell them. Its an all-in-one place. Again, have you used it at all or are you just speculating?

What Twitch has:

Twitch Stream
Twtich Chat

What Salty Streams has:

Twitch Stream
Twitch Chat
Salty Chat (which features a better look and better emotes and the emote toolbar)
Betting platform
Clickable bracket link (no need for !bracket or copy and pasting it from the twitch title)
Links to social profiles (fb, twitter, youtube, twitch, website)

If you just want the stream and chat and have no interest in betting, you can collapse the betting windows to give it a larger stream view. There is no pro to twitch that salty streams doesn't also have. Its everything you have in twitch and more, so why not use salty streams? Is it just some anti-shears, anti-64, anti-community growth agenda all you online players have? Troll the noobs that ask stupid questions or the other communities, trolling your own active contributing community members is like ****ting where you sleep.

Hentenaar

Smash Cadet
Obviously I'm not speculating because I haven't made a speculation.

I've been on the site, and I think it's pretty good. I just think having just one chat on that site would be better. It would keep everyone in the same place

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
Obviously I'm not speculating because I haven't made a speculation.

I've been on the site, and I think it's pretty good. I just think having just one chat on that site would be better. It would keep everyone in the same place
If it was possible to edit twitch chat and make it better and allow people to add their own emotes to it, I would. But twitch doesn't give steamers or users that control, also doesn't have animated emotes. That's one reason why I have a second chat. The other reason, it adds an element of exclusivity. If you're not in salty chat you're missing out, so it gives people another reason to use salty streams even if they aren't going to bet.

Salty chat antiquated twitch chat like DVDs antiquated VHS. Salty streams keeps twitch chat just like production companies kept releasing movies in both DVD and VHS for several years until everyone caught on to DVDs. Does this make sense to everyone? You don't just replace a technology immediately, you have to go through a transition which creates a moment where both exist simultaneously.

Last edited:

caneut

Smash Ace
Or just have everyone in the salty chat. No reason to use twitch chat. It was only divided because knite and cane refused to get in the salty chat. The point of having a separate chat is to give another reason to use salty streams. It has a better product so its an incentive to use it. Why are you so hard pressed on using twitch chat? Why not just use the salty chat?
If it was possible to edit twitch chat and make it better and allow people to add their own emotes to it, I would. But twitch doesn't give steamers or users that control, also doesn't have animated emotes. That's one reason why I have a second chat. The other reason, it adds an element of exclusivity. If you're not in salty chat you're missing out, so it gives people another reason to use salty streams even if they aren't going to bet.

Salty chat antiquated twitch chat like DVDs antiquated VHS. Salty streams keeps twitch chat just like production companies kept releasing movies in both DVD and VHS for several years until everyone caught on to DVDs. Does this make sense to everyone? You don't just replace a technology immediately, you have to go through a transition which creates a moment where both exist simultaneously.
you keep arguing your chat is better because of ****ing emotes. just ****ing stop. no one gives two ****ing ****s about twitch emotes or your ****ty saltybet emotes.

this argument is about not dividing up chats, not using twitch because of better ****ing emotes.

you can't just say "saltybets is better so it's staying the way it is" you have to listen to constructive criticism which we all have given you.

There is no pro to twitch that salty streams doesn't also have.
There is one. People who have the free will not to use your website because they don't want to watch a small stream and 80% of their window being taken up by other **** they do not care about will use twitch. Those people will also use twitch chat. You are dividing the chat between those people and the sub-select few that want to use saltybets.

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
you keep arguing your chat is better because of ****ing emotes. just ****ing stop. no one gives two ****ing ****s about twitch emotes or your ****ty saltybet emotes.

this argument is about not dividing up chats, not using twitch because of better ****ing emotes.

you can't just say "saltybets is better so it's staying the way it is" you have to listen to constructive criticism which we all have given you.

There is one. People who have the free will not to use your website because they don't want to watch a small stream and 80% of their window being taken up by other **** they do not care about will use twitch. Those people will also use twitch chat. You are dividing the chat between those people and the sub-select few that want to use saltybets.
You haven't used it then or read what I wrote. You can collapse the other sections to give yourself the full looking twitch stream and just the chat. You can also collapse the chat to give yourself just twitch. Additionally, as I said before, its more than just the emotes, it uses alternating background colors to help with reading messages so you can easily see new ones come in. The alternating background color also prevents users from selecting colors that make their username invisible. I listen to constructive criticism but I don't listen to ignorant criticism that either hasn't used it or hasn't thought it through. The point of it being different is to get people to use it over twitch. If it was identical to twitch there would be no point to it.

Grahamaglam

Smash Journeyman
Those are literally the worst reasons to not use twitch you could have come up with. You can do both of those things on twitch as it is.
The only reason you have to keep salty chat as the main chat right now is animated emotes.

Shears

Smash Master
Those are literally the worst reasons to not use twitch you could have come up with. You can do both of those things on twitch as it is.
The only reason you have to keep salty chat as the main chat right now is animated emotes.
Those reasons aren't to not use twitch, those reasons are reasons why twitch doesn't have anything over salty streams. The whole size of the stream argument is defeated because salty streams gives you the option for the same real estate for the stream. The reasons why to use salty streams is for the betting platform.

Grahamaglam

Smash Journeyman
I understand. What I'm arguing is to make the twitch chat the default chat and prevent splitting the chats instead of using the salty chat. As I've said, the only thing salty chat has over twitch chat is animated emotes.

caneut

Smash Ace
PINK = USELESS ****

TWITCH vvv

I don't see any ****ING PINK ON TWITCH.

The reason why you should use twitch only chat is because THERE WILL BE PEOPLE WHO USE TWITCH, NO MATTER HOW MUCH BETTER... QUOTE BETTER UNQUOTE... SALTYBET IS. And you are dividing the chat from them.

Your argument, "if people want to use twitch chat its there in salty bet and you can make saltybet look just like twitch."

1. No, look at my images above,
2. PEOPLE WILL STILL STUBBORNLY USE TWITCH
3. People who don't know about saltybets will use twitch.
4. People who don't care about saltybets will use twitch.
5. NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR KINDERGARTEN LEVEL ****ING EMOTES.

You also have to care for the people who go to twitch->list of games and click on ssb64, they see 64 streams, they don't see saltybets.

Most of the 64 community are adults and we do not care about emotes. When we use twitch emotes, we do so because they are memes for the sole reason being TWITCH HAS GLOBAL EMOTES AND THEY ****ING SUCK, therefore memes.

Also another reason, take a look at this.

I click that button at the top and I see everyone I'm following, including all my 64 streamers I'm following. If I'm not following them, who cares I'm following the entire ssb64 category of twitch. ALL IN ONE GRAND OL' SPOT. I'm not going to go to my twitch/following homepage and then ANOTHER ****ING WEBSITE to see who's all streaming 64. That's just a waste of ****ing time.

COMPRIMISE

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
Emotes might not matter to you but they are something most fans care about. People pay $5 a month to steamers just so they can use their emotes. That's what salty chat adds, an option for more emotes and better emotes. Again, you might not care about that but it's something a lot more people do care about.

You use twitch chat and opt out of using the emotes, you can do the same with the salty chat, you aren't required to use emotes. If no one wanted to use salty chat then no one would. Division exists because people chose salty chat over twitch chat and a few of you refuse to move forward with it and want to sit on twitch chat because you're married to it.

Shears

Smash Master
Lol cane you can click full screen on saltystreams if you only want the stream which is what you did on twitch.

And this is for more than 64, I don't think you've thought past that yet. It was designed for people that watch tournaments not specifically for 64 players that watch tournaments.

Last edited:

caneut

Smash Ace
Lol cane you can click full screen on saltystreams if you only want the stream which is what you did on twitch.
Are you ********? No it's not. That's twitch THEATER MODE which fills the entire window to your ****ing stream.

If it was fullscreen how the **** could I watch TWO STREAMS AT ONCE while ****posting in two chats?

Shears you just now demonstrated you don't know **** about this entire argument. Take the constructive criticism.

caneut

Smash Ace
And this is for more than 64, I don't think you've thought past that yet. It was designed for people that watch tournaments not specifically for 64 players that watch tournaments.
Yes and you are splitting the chat from people who just want to watch on twitch without bull****.

caneut

Smash Ace
If you're in theater mode you're not participating in the chat.

How many times do you have to be proven wrong to admit you're ****ing wrong shears. Read what Grah said and make twitch have priority over saltybets chat. You can have both but your splitting two ****ing groups of people in the chat when you do this.

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
You keep taking different pictures to introduce new arguments. If you wanted to make a better argument to begin with you would've taken pictures in identical frames showing the differences but you didn't. Either way. I'm not changing the chats around, I think you both misunderstand the point of having the alternative chat. However there is criticism I have taken from this, although you weren't constructive or even professional in your presentation of it. I will work on implementing a "theater" mode which will give you those few extra precious negligible pixels. You're allowed to take off your douchebag troll facade for once and can say "there should be a theater mode where the full screen is just the stream and chat". That would have been constructive.

caneut

Smash Ace
You keep taking different pictures to introduce new arguments. If you wanted to make a better argument to begin with you would've taken pictures in identical frames showing the differences but you didn't. Either way. I'm not changing the chats around, I think you both misunderstand the point of having the alternative chat. However there is criticism I have taken from this, although you weren't constructive or even professional in your presentation of it. I will work on implementing a "theater" mode which will give you those few extra precious negligible pixels. You're allowed to take off your douchebag troll facade for once and can say "there should be a theater mode where the full screen is just the stream and chat". That would have been constructive.
The thing is I'd figure you had used twitch's website ATLEAST ONCE to figure out these things everyone knows.

Check this, http://i.imgur.com/qUagqHs.gifv

and this is how you theater mode. http://i.imgur.com/fDdmy3S.gifv

And the reason we use theater mode is so we can fit as much of the stream onto our monitors, because like I had said in a PREVIOUS POST you didn't read or were just too ****ing stupid to understand, some people like to watch streams + do other stuff. I personally have 2-3 streams up while I chat on irc or browse reddit/facebook/smashboards.

All of this is BESIDES THE POINT.

You are splitting TWO GROUPS OF PEOPLE IN THE CHAT.

This is BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD
for the 64 community.

Last edited:

Hentenaar

Smash Cadet
You're allowed to take off your douchebag troll facade for once and can say "there should be a theater mode where the full screen is just the stream and chat". That would have been constructive.
Nothing douchey about his first post. You're the one that set this whole thing off. What we were posting was constructive criticism.. What you're posting is destructive cynicism. Learn to listen to other people without crying about it

Last edited:

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I honestly agree with caneut...specifically in terms of an extra chat. It splits a small stream community into a smaller one. I mean it's a kewl idea but I would say to somehow integrate it more with twitch somehow.

Top Bottom