• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai sustains a repetitive strain injury

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I myself wasn't happy with Brawl's stages, as I felt there were just too many random/chaotic/gimmicky stages and not enough calmer ones.
Isn't that what the stage builder was for? If one wanted more calm uninterrupted stage's they could make them through that... or is there some kind of catch I don't know about...? I mean yeah it was pretty limited and cpu player's can act a little weird over there, not to mention can't play them online (I believe their going to include or fix all that in smash 4) but it was pretty much perfect if one wanted to make a calm stage as you wanted... :/

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I would like to see more stages that interact with the original level architecture better instead of making some abstract staged based on it.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I suppose the stage builder could use some more Nintendo themed content into it. Such as a Mario pipe or background's based on Nintendo's games would be pretty nice and all.

We'll see how they expand on it in Smash 4.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Ick. I bet that's gotta hurt tremendously. (-í~ì-);;

Hope he recovers soon (and indeed, this means NO TWEETING now Sakurai.)

Wondra

Smash Cadet
Good thing he's got a team of developers and designers to help him.

Idk, maybe I'm being ignorant about this, but I've never gotten the impression that Nintendo has assisted the Smash titles via huge teams of talent to assist with these Smash titles.

Smash Bros is undoubtedly one of Nintendo's most fan-crazed endeavors. And with the sheer scope and potential of this series (being quite cumulative, both internally and externally), I'd imagine they'd assign / invite an initiative large enough to handle it in a timely fashion.

Imo, this game shouldn't take more than two years to finish.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Idk, maybe I'm being ignorant about this, but I've never gotten the impression that Nintendo has assisted the Smash titles via huge teams of talent to assist with these Smash titles.
Wikipedia says Nintendo opened an office in Tokyo specifically for developing Brawl.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
We have an update on this condition Sakruai has by him (Sm4sh related info underlined):
"I think the one word I've said the most this year, by far, is 'Ow!' Not only am I getting calcific tendonitis, but they've also found what are apparently several ruptures in the muscles. My upper arm hurts, and there's this chronic dull pain in my elbow joint as well. On the lower arm, there's this feeling of fatigue around the flexor muscles that turns into pain when I use a keyboard or game controller with my fingers.

There's no instant cure for it, so all I can do is either block the pain with injections or put my arm in a cast to keep the ruptures from spreading. I was told that the important thing was to keep my arm as rested as possible. In order to get it fully healed, the only thing is to not use my right arm or hand. So not only am I using a trackball with my left hand; now I'm using it to eat, brush my teeth, wash my hair, and even drive as much as I'm able to.

As a director, I don't have much time in the weekdays to proceed along with my own work. The entire day is spent overseeing other people, holding meetings, working on other proposals, making visits elsewhere and so on. If I can get everything squared away, then I can work on my own stuff, but most of the time there's just an overwhelming lack of time. Often I go in on my off-days to catch up on my own work, but with my body going on me like this, I have to cut these extra days out of my schedule and even with that I can't use my right arm very much to control things. If this disorder lingers, or if it never gets fixed, there's no telling what impact that would have on the project.

I've had to control two characters at once in a lot of game projects up to now, so as long as I keep it to simple moves, this works well enough. It doesn't go that easy with the Nintendo 3DS version, though, and the debug camera is pretty hard to control. Still, now I realize how important it is to have your health. I'm glad I'm still in good enough shape to work."
Get well soon Sakurai.

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/01/3...ator-suffering-from-repetitive-strain-injury/

Man just imagine what would happen if he was actually good at the games he made. :smirk: **** talk aside lets hope this doesn't effect the progress of the game too much.
Hey, I'm not a normal poster here, but I signed up to make a correction for TC.

He doesn't have a repetitive stress injury, he has Calcific Tendonitis.

Calcific Tendonitis is caused by calcium deposits, not repetitive stress. The reason the calcium does that is unknown, but it's believed to have some link with age and differences in blood supply between one tendon and the others. Wear and tear may be a contributing factor, but no one is sure.

You Must Recover, Sakurai!

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
It's a pity really. Can someone else do the playtester? I imagined that the director work was more of a supervisor kind of job. He takes his projects too seriously maybe?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If Sakurai hurts himself making SSB4, then it means SSB4 is gonna be competitive like Melee was. :awesome:

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Get well soon, buddy :(

joint issues suck, both my parents have some sort of arthritis. Restricts you from doing things the way you would like them to be done...I was fishing with my dad and the arthritis/bad eyesight made him say "getting old sucks," which is just sad to hear. Making the joke "lol tripping" and "lol KIU controls" is so incredibly crass and I'd wish people would respect the guy for things like this instead of treating him like a machine that's supposed to pump out a perfect game.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Sakurai just tweeted in English! Check his Twitter or you can see the tweet here.

He's thankful for the encouragement messages and tells us not to worry about his injury and the new Smash Bros. development.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Man I hope he gets better soon. I'm only about half his age but for about 2 years I was suffering from mild tendinitis because of martial arts. It was so hard to teach and practice. Finally I looked up foods that promote healing and foods that degenerate health. Changed my life in months.

I sent Sakurai 5 tweets telling him about a few foods to avoid and a few that will help with inflammation.

Now watch him sue me in a few years when his whole arm has to be removed because of my remedies.

Top Bottom