• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai seem to be going for new Series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
All 3 of the new character are from series that haven't had a playable character.

In the last games besides from the original 10 series (Mario, DK, Yoshi, Zelda, Metroid, Star Fox, Kirby, Pokemon, Earthbound, F-Zero) the only ones that were added that weren't one off retros were Fire Emblem, Wario, Pikmin, Metal Gear and Sonic. Kid Icarus is no longer a retro series, but what other recent series could be added?

The Project Rainfall games? Chibi-Robo?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well, I think that comes with "Unexpected character" at this point, since the two characters were good choices, and Mega Man is ****ing Mega Man. I wouldn't read too much into anything, especially after yesterday.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I would like to think that Sakurai will reveal one character from an already represented series, like Ridley.

I think you could argue the same for the Brawl intro, they showed more newcomers, so I would take everything with a grain of salt.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I just took it that they chose deliberately to only show the new series instead of showing characters from existing series. Might be because of the small amount of newly revealed characters, and to give the feeling that this game broadens the horizon.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I wouldn't bother going for patterns just yet. But it would be cool some newer characters to be introduced. Namely Isaac.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I hope to see more new sereis but there's still untapped potential in existing franchises.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
It hard to tell anything because we have only seen three characters and there are likely a lot more. I do think Sakurai was going for more interesting picks at first. Characters like Shulk or Takamaru would not have been talked about as much. So if Sakurai is going more for new series rather than supporting characters is hard to say. Brawl showed off 3 characters from new series as well. Though, Brawl defiantly got most of the supporting characters, so there aren't very many of them left. Let's see what we have.
King K Rool
Ridley
Palutena
Ghirahim
The hodgepodge of Mario characters
Chrom
A new Pokemon

This is stretching it a bit. However, there are a lot of series to pull interesting characters from. Obviously, we have Wii Fit Trainer, so there is potential for a lot more (maybe some stuff we didn't think of).
Some games that came out between Brawl and now are: Rhythm Heaven (was coming out during Brawl's development), Xenoblade, and the Eshop games. There may be other game series I forgot but you get the idea.

EDIT:Something of interest. We talk a lot about Little Mac being in due to the Punch Out stage. There is also a Nintendogs stage, so could a Nintendog be a playable character?

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Hmmm..yh i dont think we can really judge atm unless 2 more new series chars come then yh...it will be worrying...for the big 2. I see Mewtwo as a Lock.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Modern franchises...
Animal Crossing
Wii Fit
Wii Sports

Classic franchises...
Duck Hunt
Murasame Castle
Punch-Out!!

Third party franchises...
Mega Man
Pac-Man

Sounds good to me. :awesome:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Modern franchises...
Animal Crossing
Wii Fit
Wii Sports

Classic franchises...
Duck Hunt
Murasame Castle
Punch-Out!!

Third party franchises...
Mega Man
Pac-Man

Sounds good to me. :awesome:
But not to the rest of the world.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
One of these days Arcadenik will wake up and say "Wow, maybe no one gives a f about the Dog."

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
but on topic, I'd say it's too early for a pattern. i think it's more a case of the reveal trailers have always been heavy on the support characters for the big series, so he's probably trying to freshen it up.
I do get the feeling that the support characters could be unlockables this time. I kinda didn't like having most of the newcomers there from the start in Brawl. I think smash 4 is gonna be more like melee in that the starting roster won't be as heavy with the newcomers as the unlockables will. It'll probably end up that we get the likes of ridley and palutena and whoever the eff Mario gets as unlockables, which I like the sound of. If the rumours about Mii/Mac are true I'd be happy with the two of them, WFT and Villager as the newcomers available from the beginning. Though I think it could do with Chrom or Ridley - someone who's also quite recognisable, but from an existing series and more stereotypically cool, in the way characters like Samus, Snake or Ike are.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Ima bit confused...i heard some PeePz saying that the Sm4sh site is not the DoJo and that they arr still waiting for the DoJo like they wont be char reveals on the official site...i mean i thought logicly assumed...Sm4sh site = Sm4sh DoJo?

Am i right? They will be char reveals on the official site right?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Duck Hunt Dog 92
Out of 1200

Alright, enough of this.
Wii Fit Trainer - 0 out of 1200 - she doesn't even have an entry on Shortie's poll and why are you even using his poll? Your precious Sheriff and Karate Joe aren't even on it for crying out loud! At least 92 people give a f about Duck Hunt Dog. Where are these people who give a f about your precious Sheriff and Karate Joe? :troll:

Seriously, zip it.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
I definetly don't think we can't read into it too much. Also there are plenty of good series out there that could get reped, xenoblade, golden sun, punch out, wonderful 101. I bet that even if they only had characters from unreped series, the game would still be cool, although we are bound to get some new characters from old series.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Some series that I think will be represented through chracters, stages, and assist trophies are:

-pilotwings
-wii spots
-captain rainbow
-nazo no murasame jo
-nintendo land (as a stage)

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I too think it's too early to say anything about a pattern, but if he wants to add new series, the Wars series really needs some love.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
A Nintendo Land stage is actually a pretty cool idea. There's something about it that just seems right.

Sinn

Smash Lord
This. Just the MUSIC fitting into a METROID STAGE proves that this series needs representation in Smash. Isaac or bust.
That was one of my favorite songs in the whole game, though I wish that the first half of it looped, and not just the last half.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Just to expand on my previous though: Let's look at the last three games and how they handled characters.
  • 64 - Starts the series. This established all the series in Smash Brothers
  • Melee - Expands the more popular series, namely Mario, Zelda and Pokemon. Tries to capture the next more important characters
  • Brawl - Picks up from Melee and adds in other less important Nintendo characters. Adds characters from under represented series (DK, Mother, Kirby)
And this leaves us with SSBU. Brawl's roster left everyone relatively happy. Japanese fans found the roster almost perfect. Most of the series were expanded with other Metroid and F-Zero being left out. This is why many of us felt the pool of characters was getting empty. There are not many characters left from the returning series with the other potential areas of expanding are DK, Kid Icarus, F-Zero, and Metroid. Beyond this, it's really Mario, Zelda and Pokemon. So the series started hitting a brick wall after Brawl as there are just not that many all-stars left. So you could not expand the series by piling onto the current series. What's the solution? To expand Smash, you have to expand the series. This also works as Nintendo has made more series since Brawl. We have the Wii Fit and Wii Sports games. We have Rhythm Heaven and Xenoblade as well as the EShop games. There is also a new Punch-Out. So by going for new series that are not in Smash yet (or didn't have a character in the case of Animal Crossing) you can expand Smash further.

Something else to note was that Brawl has more new series than Melee. Melee only added 3 series. Brawl added 6 series with 4 being Nintendo. With this trend continuing, it's not unreasonable to expect 7 or 8 new series. Still, we only know 3 characters so far, and Brawl did add more new series in the beginning. So we'll see. I think there is a strong case for saying that Smash may go for new series rather than returning ones as far as new characters go.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Possibly. But I think that some of the already represented series might get a new character or two. Namely some that are still under-represented to an extent, like Metroid(Given how many are rooting are rooting for the likes of Ridley), Donkey Kong, and Kid Icarus. I do hope for some series like Punch Out, Golden Sun and Rolling Western to be among said new series. Though if you ask me, despite it being rather possible, I'd rather wait to see the few other newcomers before taking any notes about any patterns in character choices.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Wii Fit Trainer - 0 out of 1200 - she doesn't even have an entry on Shortie's poll and why are you even using his poll? Your precious Sheriff and Karate Joe aren't even on it for crying out loud! At least 92 people give a f about Duck Hunt Dog. Where are these people who give a f about your precious Sheriff and Karate Joe? :troll:

Seriously, zip it.
I thought he was pretty clear on the fact that popularity was not the only factor in choosing the Smash Bros roster

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Chibi-Robo anyone?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Ooooooo this bodes well for Rhythm Heaven.

My expectations for Karate Joe to be a playable character has increased. Do no fail me Sakurai.

EDIT: Hold on, this isn't an official statement? Dammit! Expectations down already!

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Too early to say but so far it does ofc look that way - who knows maybe Sakurai think all the series in smash atm have enough reps from there series in smash and dont need any add ons except uf uts 1 out 1 in...but who knows....ofc imo this bull* Ridley's knocking on Sakurais door.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think the current series are reaching the maximum reps available. A lot of characters I see suggested were only in one game of the series The Mario Main series in particular has all the main characters with Toad being Peach's B and Waluigi and Daisy being space fillers in spin-offs. (Not to say they're nobodies but this is smash).

I can see Ridley added as besides F-Zero and Yoshi, Metroid is the only original franchise with one character, Kid Icarus has gone from forgotten Retro to latest Nintendo series so I can see a new KI rep and the Donkey Kong Franchise is long overdue representations as it's own thing, not a Mario Spin-off, so maybe K. Rool and Dixie are both possible.

There's a lot of unused series especially in recent years. It's gonna be an interesting ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom