• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai says: "Little Mac is the character with the Lowest Online Win Ratio in Smash 3DS"

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
I can't really say I'm all that surprised. Little Mac is easy to pick up, but just as easy to kill in that case. He's quick, but strong, so people can think they do well when they use him, but he can be predictable and thrown off the stage for an easy stock off of him. It's more the fact that people tend to mess up with him a lot and it can be easy to.

WheelerFGC

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ocarinasonwheels
3DS FC
2020-0089-8969
Switch FC
8390-7649-9691
There's a difference between a good character, and good players playing a good character.
Most of the LMs I've seen online kinda suck (not saying that they are scrubby, I suck with mac too. He's a very complicated/technical character)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
So he's gonna be buffed, nice
Ironic, considering how brutal he is while on the ground. But I guess if his aerial game is pathetic, that can be a problem if he gets juggled a lot. He even has to resort to Jolt Haymaker a lot to recover, which is only good for horizontal recoveries.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
DISCLAIMER: I do not hold the opinion that Mac is one of the worst characters or something. Keep in mind that Sakurai himself said that this is mainly because people assume Little Mac has no nuances and is an insta-win button.

For that reason, I doubt he will be buffed, at least not drastically. Sakurai himself literally just gave advice to Mac players, in case they aren't playing him properly.

King Donkey Kong

Banned via Warnings
His meter will be removed and his standard B will always be KO Punch! :4littlemac::4miibrawl:

Joking aside, he's one of the last characters I would buff...so hopefully that's not happening. His amazing ground game with it's power, speed, range, super armor, priority...should have really bad drawbacks in his aerial game and his recovery...

AngeloHollow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2535-4585-8889
His meter will be removed and his standard B will always be KO Punch! :4littlemac::4miibrawl:

Joking aside, he's one of the last characters I would buff...so hopefully that's not happening. His amazing ground game with it's power, speed, range, super armor, priority...should have really bad drawbacks in his aerial game and his recovery...
I agree. Having bad air game is a meaningless drawback for someone like Little Mac.

Nat Goméz

Smash Apprentice
DISCLAIMER: I do not hold the opinion that Mac is one of the worst characters or something. Keep in mind that Sakurai himself said that this is mainly because people assume Little Mac has no nuances and is an insta-win button.

For that reason, I doubt he will be buffed, at least not drastically. Sakurai himself literally just gave advice to Mac players, in case they aren't playing him properly.
Well, I find funny you just quoted the part where he said he has the lowest win rate, let me quote more:

"His low winning percentage is most likely due to the fact that those who think "Little Mac is too powerful!" play as him and get beaten up."

*Sakurai trying to make understand
the abundance of scruby Macs online*

"I think most of you consider him
rather powerful. [...] A lot of people use him because there's an impression out there that he's dominating all the time, but that doesn't mean you can win easily when
you play as him."

*Sakurai saying that Good Macs
dominate, but that doesn't mean is
easy to play the charater*

I'm happy at least his trying to clarify.

WE ALREADY KNOW THAT THE 90% OF THE MACS ONLINE ARE SCRUBS. So I'm by no means impressed about this. And even Sakurai knows the abundance of scruby Macs online like i quoted above.

And he wasn't talking about the Mac players in general when he said that, he was talking about the scruby Macs that think that picking him up is a free win without even knowing the principals of the character or how to play him.

I'm also happy for other thing and is that when they announced balacing patches some people screamed for nerfing Mac. Almost all his ground moves, taking away his super armor or KO punch charging for hit and not for getting hits, and now Sakurai just clarified that's never going to happen.

I like the picture in the OP though.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Well, I find funny you just quoted the part where he said he has the lowest win rate, let me quote more:

"His low winning percentage is most likely due to the fact that those who think "Little Mac is too powerful!" play as him and get beaten up."

*Sakurai trying to make understand
the abundance of scruby Macs online*

"I think most of you consider him
rather powerful. [...] A lot of people use him because there's an impression out there that he's dominating all the time, but that doesn't mean you can win easily when
you play as him."

*Sakurai saying that Good Macs
dominate, but that doesn't mean is
easy to play the charater*

I'm happy at least his trying to clarify.

WE ALREADY KNOW THAT THE 90% OF THE MACS ONLINE ARE SCRUBS. So I'm by no means impressed about this. And even Sakurai knows the abundance of scruby Macs online like i quoted above.

And he wasn't talking about the Mac players in general when he said that, he was talking about the scruby Macs that think that picking him up is a free win without even knowing the principals of the character or how to play him.

I'm also happy for other thing and is that when they announced balacing patches some people screamed for nerfing Mac. Almost all his ground moves, taking away his super armor or KO punch charging for hit and not for getting hits, and now Sakurai just clarified that's never going to happen.

I like the picture in the OP though.
You basically echo my thoughts, so I don't see where you got the impression you had to argue. When I said he gave advice in case people aren't playing him properly, I meant the scrubs.

K-45

Smash Journeyman
Now only if they take away Points in conquest mode when a player loses. Any team with little mac is going to win by atleast 30%

To make it a bit more fair and a little more skill base and accurate.

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
I'm actually happy to hear this, so all the people who call me 'cheap' for maining Mac can be quiet.
Hope he doesn't get buffed though, in case he does become OP.

Jelani Thompson

Smash Rookie
NNID
jelani435
3DS FC
3840-7909-0481
“It appears that the biggest reason for his low win ratio is because people fall under the assumption that ‘Little Mac is strong!’ and all rush to use him only to get pummeled in return.”

“He gives the impression of being able to win easier than other fighters which leads to more people using him, but in reality, he’s a difficult character to actually continuously win with.”
http://alwaysnintendo.com/sakurai-little-mac-lowest-smash-bros-win-ratio/

JmacAttack

Wielder of the Triforce
BRoomer
NNID
DudeMcPersonMan
3DS FC
1865-1222-7961

Agreed. Mac is unlikely to receive any changes if that's Sakurai's opinion.

If the next update will buff Little Mac, all hope is lost that Sakurai is still sane.
Read the article. Sakurai knew this would happen since day 1. He doesn't look at statistics alone when making decisions. I doubt Mac will be in the patch notes at all.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
So he's gonna be buffed, nice
Probably, but I think perhaps make Little Macs attack more stronger on the ground, or the charge speed of the power meter faster.
Guys, NEVER use jolt haymaker at the edge!

Lemon Girl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Maguitus
3DS FC
0147-0570-9943
From what I understand, Sakurai pretty much said that Mac is balanced because, while he's very strong he's also very easy to gimp, and players need to know how to use it to win. I'm very happy to hear this because it shows that he's not gonna rebalance characters just because they're used a lot. With this in mind we can take for granted (hopefully) that weak characters (like Olimar) are gonna be buffed with the time, which is amazing news.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
That proves absolutely nothing because he has to be one of if not the most picked character in for glory so wouldn't that alone decrease his own rate? I don't really know how they use the the statistics so whatever on that.

But if I were to patch mac I would either take away his super armor or add ending lag to all of his smash attacks, there's no good reason he should have both of those OP mechanics, I would also buff his recovery to the effect of either falcons or Ganondorf's, this also has no reason to be this bad in a game that's focused around people being able to recover from far distances and feels more like a childish way to balance out his strengths

Chompjil

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chompjil
3DS FC
0387-8858-0021
Now only if they take away Points in conquest mode when a player loses. Any team with little mac is going to win by atleast 30%

To make it a bit more fair and a little more skill base and accurate.
I can only imagine something where there's 15 characters and on the other side mac, and mac still wins

Nat Goméz

Smash Apprentice
You basically echo my thoughts, so I don't see where you got the impression you had to argue. When I said he gave advice in case people aren't playing him properly, I meant the scrubs.
Sorry if I got defensive so quick... is just because of threads being created, just look at the name of this one:

http://kotaku.com/little-mac-is-smash-bros-biggest-loser-1658263617

"Little Mac is Smash Bros Biggest Looser" (Now I have a reason to hate Kotaku)

I just love Little Mac so much, and I guess I'm just not used to all that hate...

Again, I'm sorry

JmacAttack

Wielder of the Triforce
BRoomer
NNID
DudeMcPersonMan
3DS FC
1865-1222-7961

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
This shouldn't be a surprise considering just the sheer amount of people who use him.

Mac's just that character that's scrub bait in this game. NOT saying he's bad or that anyone who uses him is a scrub because I know if he's played right Mac is really good (controlling his jabs is way more dangerous), just that his moves and kit at-a-glance are probably very deceptive to new players...making them feel empowered with his insane ground speed, quick dash attack, counter, and his flashy jab auto combo and making them think they've chosen the obviously best character in the game, only to get trashed because they don't know any fundamentals and jumped to conclusions.

There's almost always a character like that in most fighters, though Mac's strengths on the ground are so outwardly obvious that I can see it being kind of a particularly bad in this game since casual players will see and feel that first, and be too distracted to notice his gaping weaknesses. It's usually flashy characters too I've noticed, and Mac is very flashy.

Ken in vanilla SF4 was so overpicked online that it was almost an internet meme amongst the FGC for a while (lolflowchart Ken), that didn't mean he was a bad character just so many people picked him without learning anything cause he was as basic as Ryu but with that big fancy FP Shoryuken (that they ALWAYS woke up with, part of that famous flowchart. lol)

Last edited:

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
At the end if the interview, Sakurai said he thinks equal stats aren't good, and he had explained in the past why some characters are better than others, or at least, that he cares about if they really feel like the character rather than are balanced. So I feel as though he wouldn't really buff Mac. His statement about him not liking equal balance pretty much explains it well.

JmacAttack

Wielder of the Triforce
BRoomer
NNID
DudeMcPersonMan
3DS FC
1865-1222-7961
At the end if the interview, Sakurai said he thinks equal stats aren't good, and he had explained in the past why some characters are better than others, or at least, that he cares about if they really feel like the character rather than are balanced. So I feel as though he wouldn't really buff Mac. His statement about him not liking equal balance pretty much explains it well.
It's more like he has a hands-off approach to balancing. He likes to watch the meta evolve before making any big changes, to see if someone discovers untapped potential and if people learn to counter the top tiers. This is a good thing.

Oilpath99

Smash Cadet
Please don't buff him. The only reason why this is is because newbies always Jolt Haymaker off the stage as soon as the game starts.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I sort of was expecting something like this considering how a lot people whine and complain about seeing him frequently during online matches specifically For Glory. I mean the main reason I believe he has such a horrible win rate is because newbies only saw that he's so "overpowered" that they immediately saw him as a handpicked lottery winner so they picked him to play as...without building up any skill first to use him well, which is something I once said before until one guy ended up taking offense to that. lol

Aside from that and despite his terrible air game, Little Mac is still an awesome fighter that takes a lot of skill and practice to get really good with him. Newbies can't just go around and saying "He's so strong I'm gonna play as him and win" without any skill whatsoever, otherwise he never would've had such a low win rate and being called "the biggest loser" in Smash Bros.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I play a lot on FG 1v1 and Little Macs are almost always really bad noobs. Really predictable, bad spacing, easy to punish, and for some reason unable to shield lasers and Gyro's.

Somehow Little Mac seems to attract noobs on FG 1v1.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I sort of was expecting something like this considering how a lot people whine and complain about seeing him frequently during online matches specifically For Glory. I mean the main reason I believe he has such a horrible win rate is because newbies only saw that he's so "overpowered" that they immediately saw him as a handpicked lottery winner so they picked him to play as...without building up any skill first to use him well, which is something I once said before until one guy ended up taking offense to that. lol

Aside from that and despite his terrible air game, Little Mac is still an awesome fighter that takes a lot of skill and practice to get really good with him. Newbies can't just go around and saying "He's so strong I'm gonna play as him and win" without any skill whatsoever, otherwise he never would've had such a low win rate and being called "the biggest loser" in Smash Bros.
Well every character requires some skill. I think that most FG 1v1 Little Mac's would even get their asses kicked if they used SSBB MK against my SSBB Ganondorf. They are incredible bad. It is as if most people who just got the game and are new to Smash play Mac for the first month and then drop him.

Finding Waldo

Smash Apprentice
Ha ha, unless he's strictly talking about 1v1, this is crazy math. I run into more Little Macs then anyone else, so of course his win ratio is lowest. Think about it, if EVERYONE played as little Mac in 4 player matches, he'd win every match, but only have a 25% win ratio.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
@ King Donkey Kong King Donkey Kong just want to say, your signature fits perfectly in this thread.

It's like I said eariler, and I assume a lot of other people: people (stupid ones) think little Mac is broken and get bopped and 2-stocked because they really know nothing else. I hate it how the majority of the world doesn't want to actually think in videogames like this.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Most cases if you wreck someone on FG and they switch to LM they think they will get an easy win due to KO Punch cheese. And that's when they either get thrown to their death or face my Dedede and cry a lot since scrubby Mac's want to rush right into my Jab.

deadcult

Smash Cadet
A good Little Mac is terrifying but in most cases I can just bait and toss off the edge and laugh my way to victory.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Reading this thread from the beginning is hilarious, considering that he got nerfed instead of buffed. Poor Mac... I don't think he deserved that nerf, should've remained the same.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Reading this thread from the beginning is hilarious, considering that he got nerfed instead of buffed. Poor Mac... I don't think he deserved that nerf, should've remained the same.
Tough love from Sakurai

"you guys are scrubs so I'm going to make the character worse so you have to learn wtf you're doing"

I didn't play before the patch, just got into Smash U, still feels like Mac is quite viable anyway, especially in FG where you rarely encounter high level players that are going to skillfully abuse his recovery

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Well, obviously Little Mac is still viable. In the same way as Olimar was very viable in Brawl, but once you got him off-stage and started to gimp him, he's toast. Mac is even worse than that.

Defile

Smash Apprentice
Little Mac's low online win ratio has more to do with the fact that he's a popular character with low-skilled players rather than his status as a below average character on the tier list. So I don't see why the nerfs made to him were a bad thing.

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368
One backthrow from 0% is enough to cripple him. That's just bad.
In my opinion, they only need to buff his recoveries. Nothing else.

Any form of cheap two-step 0-to-death are just stupid in my opinion. :V

Top Bottom