• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai intended pros to use items.

Jazriel

Smash Ace
"Only works with some items". So it's most likely a physics oversight, increasing your momentum adds damage. Big whoop. Items exist for casuals to have silly luck-based games that require no thought or effort. Anyone can win and every ounce of their naive pride is on the line.

No items is where the game really exists. A fully developed meta-game and fierce competition. The item switch makes this all possible. If items were meant to be used by pros, the item switch wouldn't exist.

Shiny Ivysaur

Smash Journeyman
I don't get it. I still agree that items add a huge layer of depth and "Wow, that was cool"ness, but I still don't get it.

Also, Jaz.
How ignorant can you be? Anyone can win? Silly luck-based games? The game is meant to not have items? I'll tell you what, get your kid brother to play against you. Turn items on. You'll still win. I promise. Not just anyone can win. And while items make things a bit more random, they also add depth. A luck-based game is flipping a coin. But you can't win on luck alone, even if you have only golden hammers and invincibility stars set to high. You're deluded, and I suggest that you look back at your item switch and give it a try. If you are unwilling even to do that, then I have nothing more to say to you. I'm no "Items on high, all stages on random, Mega Lightning Curry Metal flower Angled Brawl!" casual***, (In fact, I see myself as a tourney*** who likes to have fun), but there really is no better term for it. You are the strictest, most uptight of tourney***s I have ever met. You are why I have certain items set on low. So that I never become as bland as you.

kazaken455

Smash Apprentice
Yeah... I didn't see this going well either, Jok3r. And it has all ready started to go sour. All I am going to say is that just because someone doesn't use items doesn't mean they are dumb and do not enjoy the game. It just means they don't like items. Personally, I like having maybe pokeballs and assists on just cuzz it mixes things up, but I don't like anything else. Because when I go for an attack, half the time I grab a Mr. Saturn or a smoke bomb. Just those kinda things. A lot of times, though, I turn all items off. That way it just ends up being a 1 on 1 fight or whatever where I have to use my skill to win. I deeply enjoy those matches, too. All I'm saying is that it is the persons choice, and it doesn't change how smash is for them.

edit: haha. I said "All I'm saying is..." twice. So I guess that wasn't all I was saying XD

himynameisruss

Smash Journeyman
sakurai never meant for there to be pros in this game in the first place, therefore completely defeating the purpose of this fail thread.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
Oh lawd. *facepalm*

First of all, the glide toss looks like it wasn't even intentional. Someone prove me wrong on that please.

Second of all, Brawl was obviously not made for pros. There were never meant to be "pros". The game was obviously made to be played in many wacky ways amongst friends. Granted, many people see this as a boring or meaningless way to play and opt for a more competitive, skill based style of play. It is clear though, that Sakurai and the development team went out of their way to dumb down Brawl and reduce its capacity to be played at a complex level the way Melee is now. And no I'm not talking about advanced techs. I'm talking about the fundamental changes in the mechanics themselves such as the greatly reduced hit stun and the general floatiness of everyone.

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
Why hasn't anyone asked sakurai about this?

I'm sure he'll tell you that he doesn't care how you play his game as long as you enjoy it.

Inferno96

Smash Rookie
This is obviously 100% a physics engine consequence. Items that have more velocity (or maybe it is also mass dependant--so momentum) do more damage.

I don't understand what the issue is here.

Inferno96

Smash Rookie
The velocity from running fast would be negligable to the velocity caused by a sudden acceleration like with glide tossing.

Boolossus

Smash Ace
Lol, ComputerVirus4 left the greatest comment on that video. XD

I honestly don't really mind playing with some items. But having the items set to high or very high just gets plain annoying. I could see how having some items on medium or low could be competitive.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Mr. Saturns = combolicious and defense-countering metagame.
Something we need.

RBinator

Smash Journeyman
Ok people, the moral of the story is, play the way the developers intended too.

Enough with...

FOX ONLY
1-ON-1 ONLY
FINAL DESTINATION
UNFAIR GLITCHES
NO ITEMS
NO FUN

If you're not playing the game the following way, you're not playing it right...

TIME MATCHES
WARIOWARE AND OTHER SIMILAR STAGES
ALL ITEMS ON HIGH
FREE-FOR-ALLS ONLY

You're also not suppose to use the item off switch. If you're not having fun this way, then you might as well return your game and play Melee.

I'm sure glad I learned all that in this topic from a single picture.

ZorakBane

Smash Journeyman
I've played at some serious item tournaments before where you chose 1 item, and that item with your character can have huge strategy and skill.

Also playing with non-luck-based items also cranks up the skill notch.

Like in old melee tournaments I would pick super mushroom and peach, because she owned against big people and as a big person. Now I'd do g&w cause his uair kills small people without even touching them.

DFLT

Smash Rookie
yo calm down. Jaz never said items werent meant to be in the game. hes just saying items add a randomness to the game that some people (a lot of those who play in tournaments) just rather turn off.

thats why we have that switch, for those of us who like to play casuals and those of us who like to play something a little bit for technical.

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
Well of caurse sakurai intended for pros to use items! Those items weren't put into the game for our viewing pleasure. Besides that, almost half the characters have a projectile item. Yep, items ftw.

Ghost42

Smash Apprentice
Put simply, IMO:

Play without items to develop skills/ character development, play with items for a few minutes of funa dn some lols.

FrozenFire13

Smash Ace
Ok people, the moral of the story is, play the way the developers intended too.

Enough with...

FOX ONLY
1-ON-1 ONLY
FINAL DESTINATION
UNFAIR GLITCHES
NO ITEMS
NO FUN

If you're not playing the game the following way, you're not playing it right...

TIME MATCHES
WARIOWARE AND OTHER SIMILAR STAGES
ALL ITEMS ON HIGH
FREE-FOR-ALLS ONLY

You're also not suppose to use the item off switch. If you're not having fun this way, then you might as well return your game and play Melee.

I'm sure glad I learned all that in this topic from a single picture.
Lol. False?

Well of caurse sakurai intended for pros to use items! Those items weren't put into the game for our viewing pleasure. Besides that, almost half the characters have a projectile item. Yep, items ftw.
For the manyith time, this game was not meant to have pros.

Top Bottom