• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai intended pros to use items.

salaboB

Smash Champion
If items were meant for pros, it would be harder to pick them up like it was in Melee. As it is, they interrupt all kinds of attack chains because you scoop up an item when doing any number of attacks.

They seem more to be a case of anti-pro like tripping than anything else, to me.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
THere are plenty of items. Bombs(toon link, link) nades(snake), bananas(diddy), peanuts(diddy), turnips(peach), motorcycle parts(wario), suit parts(zero suit) As toon link, snake, zero suit, and diddy are all popular chars, i can't see this not going unused without turning on items.

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
Well, there's pretty much no choice in having those certain items. Might as well ban those characters if you must ABSOLUTELY not use items.

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
Link and TL's bombs aren't broken and can be taken out at will. It's not like, a game-breaking item that can spawn right in front of you. Also, the "built-in-item" feature kinda comes at a cost simply because if they didn't have it, they would have another attack that may or may not be better.

Also, I agree with someone on p1. Sakurai wasn't intending for pros to exits (not a typo) in Brawl.

wtZzz

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo never expected or planned on the Smash Series becoming competitive. The PLAYERS made it competitive. The players found a "game" within the game. It just so happens this "game" is ruined by items.

The game the pros pursue involves thought, percision, planning, etc. If items were not an option in this game, and they were in matchs by default, I can promise you the Smash community wouldn't be what it is today. If you think items add a layer to the game, it is most likely because you haven't learned to appreciate the "game" that we all see. For this reason, they have mario party.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
How can Sakurai intend pros to use items if he intended pros not to exist?

randomae

Smash Cadet
someone argued that items makes someone with no skill able to win. people thereafter flamed him. i agree with what he said primarily for the times that all of a sudden 5 bomb-oms come out of a box and i land on them. a 3 year old could have his controller unplugged and beat me if this happens.

I play seriously without items. When people want to play with items it adds fun sometimes but i can't express how good my character is when all of a sudden everybody stops fighting to go get an item. i hate that!!! /rant

and i loved the mario party 8 comment.. good stuff and so true.

Leahdybug

Smash Journeyman
Well if you keep saying brawl lacks depth add items. EXPLODE campers with a well placed bomb bomb create traps dodge. Its another way to play but items didnt ruin this game items are apart of this game. Play with them or not the creator made the game his way. SO your **** outta luck.

Kyldare

Smash Apprentice
Um... who really cares. Why don't we all just play the way that we want to play casually. If there becomes a general tournament archetype, then so be it. If you don't like how tournaments are run, or how their rules are effected, start your own tournament. This is just another useless addition to an already tired thread. Items vs. No Items is getting really played out and boring. Just my take.

wtZzz

Smash Apprentice
It is important that tournament rules promote an aura of professionalism. If SSBB fans want the public to take this game seriously, it must be played seriously. If you see Mr. Saturn drop down from the sky and wobble around the stage, it becomes something to smile about, not something to apply years of practice to. This game is designed for a casual setting. Play with your friends at home, drink of coca cola, eat some pizza, and play smash brothers.

However, by forcing some balance and complexity into the game, a PLAYER MADE game emerges. We play SSBB: Player's Edition. Sakurai makes a lot of money when parents buy this for their children. Why the hell would he want to make a completely serious game for a select crowd.

Sakurai is probably having a Sake party with a bunch of Japanese schoolgirls right now, he doesn't give a **** about us. Get that through your heads. Nintendo is a corporation and does not support competitive gaming in any way. They might throw a little cash out to promote more sales to the competitive side, but they don't throw nearly enough cash out to show they have pride in the competitive aspects of their game.

The competitive level was created by players, and it must be MAINTAINED by players. I coudln't imagine playing this game for years, get to a final round, and lose to someone picking up that nuclear bomb. Get real.

To Tournament Directors: Start advertising to the actual market you want to attract. If your tournament is for children, put a picture of pikachu on there and call it a day. If your tournament is for competitive gamers, promote rules that bring out true talent, promote rules that showcase the hours of practice and thought that players put into this game.

Again, if you want to smile and push A, go play Mario Party 8

Legend Blade

Smash Cadet
Some items should not be banned. Specificly the ones that benifit all charicters equaly ( Super Shroom, bunny hood, Metal Box, ect. )

Everyone could use more speed or power. It also doesn't change a charicter's style too much, and it doesn't last too long.

Gonzoyo

Smash Cadet
Some of the posts in this thread are unnecessarily arrogant. Why shouldn't we be proud of the game's ability to both be competitive and at the same time be appropriate for a friendly get-together? I think a lot of people are jumping all over Brawl way too early in its lifespan.

DSM01

Smash Apprentice
It really doesn't matter what his intentions were, it's a given that competetive players don't use items.

evilflame101

Smash Journeyman
I dont have my capture card yet, but i saved a replay, me and my friend played a few rounds with items, because the tourney that he entered decided to be morons and use items, so he had to get use to the, anyway... I was toon link, on the last stock, i grabbed a fan, and then a smash ball appeared, my friend had less then 20% and i know toon links FS kills at around 60%, so i ran up to him, and just spammed A with the fan, he could not DI out of it, all his DIing did was slowly pull us across the stage, in the midst of spamming A with the fan, i pressed b to unleash the final smash, and since he was entangled in the fan he could not escape it, over 200% with a final smash, he was done for. We went into training mode to mess around with fan combos, and we found that upon spamming A with the fan you can not get out of it with most characters until you slide all the way to the edge, we said ok, items really are rigged...

Lightmaster

Smash Rookie
Well, I guess some items or 'loser choses an item' or something like that can make tourney***s want to play with items. I just hate seeing such a major elelment in the game wasted =/

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Whether he did or not is irrelevant.

After he releases the game, it's not about what he wants, it's about what the community wants.

The high-leveled players don't like items because they mess with it being a contest of skill, so no items.

Removing the item switch would change that of course, though probably result in the tournament scene dieing off.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
I'm hesitant to post in this thread, as it is plainly evident that little effort is being put forth to have any actual discussion here, but I'll say something briefly, I suppose, mostly just to reaffirm what others before me have said.

I'm always sad to see such violent rifts in this community, torn by misunderstanding of others, stubbornness, and an overbearing desire to dictate the actions of others. The problems that effect the members of this community are the same problems that categorize certain people the world over, attitudes eventually responsible for all the unspeakable acts of hatred history has known.

The main problem, or rather its solution, is this: We should not need to tell others how they have to act. We shouldn't feel the need to tell others they're playing wrong, or that they need to change. We shouldn't tell people what they have to do, or what they cannot do.

Brawl, like anything in life, will be different for each and every one of us. People can and will find drastically different and entirely unique ways to enjoy the game, and that's terrific. The game will be enjoyed by so many, and in so many different ways. What this community needs, on the whole, is a greater tolerance for each other's choices on how to play this game.

A lot of people, in the traditional "competitive" scene, like to play a certain way, with certain imposed rules. That's absolutely fine, but they have no right to try to tell everyone that they must play that way. Similarly, a lot of people disdain this way of playing, and prefer to leave anything and everything turned on, as it was by default. That's fine, too, but they have no right to tell anyone else that they need to play that way.

What so many people tragically overlook is that enjoyment is entirely subjective, and that everyone plays the game in the manner that is most enjoyable for him/herself. Our ideas of what is the most fun will vary, of course, but that doesn't make any of them without merit. People need to develop a greater level of respect for each others' opinions and choices around here, and its sad to see the same, silly arguments demonstrate such pointless and pronounced chasms that divide the community.

What was intended by any developer or creator is irrelevant to the fun we decide, on our own, to have with this game, no matter how we do so. Even if you never play anything but a Curry match, your decisions are your own, and nobody should deny you your right to decide for yourself.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Nice. Everyday, I wonder more and more why this game is so hated. And it also becomes more and more clear. Then I wonder again. Then it becomes clear again.

Vicious cycle.

Top Bottom