• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai Explains Why Transforming Characters Were Separated.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
http://mynintendonews.com/2014/10/0...-zelda-were-developed-as-separate-characters/

“It’s basically due to the 3DS’ limitations. It was impossible to have both characters exist together [as one] on 3DS. However, reaching that limit can sometimes lead in good directions. Transforming characters had the drawback of ambiguous tactics and such, and I believe that they have become more fresh now.”

3DS Limitations strike again?

Hold on, don't hit that Dislike button just yet. I honestly think this one was for the better. As a Zelda (and only Zelda) main, it sucked having on of her specials being tethered to a transforming move for a character that I never used. I suppose the same goes for Samus and Zero Suit.

All in all, this puts thing in a whole new perspective. Give some respect to Sakurai and the dev team for putting up with all the limitations and still trying to make them work. Yes, some sacrifices were made, but they still managed to give it their all and deliver a solid product. That should be worth mentioning.

Renji64

Smash Lord
I'm glad there are no transformations. I respect sakurai for making a good handheld smash game.

Last edited:

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
We should be THANKING the 3DS for making this positive change that Sakurai probably wouldn't have bothered to do otherwise.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
We should be THANKING the 3DS for making this positive change that Sakurai probably wouldn't have bothered to do otherwise.
Pretty ironic but yes, this is a limitation I can welcome with open arms.

Raijinken

Smash Master
3DS limitations just improved the game. Just like when the limitations resulted in the Climbers being removed.

Ursaguy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7859-2409
Thanks to 3DS limitations, ZSS gets a real FS

DougX

Smash Champion
My Super Secret Underwater Volcano Lair in Space
NNID
Luigirasendori
3DS FC
0877-2652-6033
I think this change was done for the better, regardless of the limitation. People can use their mains without having to worry about transforming back into the other half they might not like. c:

Cammed Z28

SB-Jgd = My FG gamer tag
3DS FC
2852-9484-2780
I was down with that choice. I do not know how people can look down on the 3DS format of this game.... not only a very solid Smash game that is also mobile, but its a full game that will be enjoyed by myself and countless others for years to come. It baffles me that Smash fans would complain about a cross platform release, I suppose it is because a loud minority of Wii U nutswingers have some delusion that Smash should have never been released on 3DS, what blasphemy lol. How dare nintendo invest time and resources into developing an immensely popular franchise installment for the best selling product Nintendo owns? This forum is so rich.... keep on keepin on everyone
ant
A positive change brought on by the development process for the 3DS version.... fantastic

Last edited:

Blue Warrior

Smash Apprentice
"However, reaching that limit can sometimes lead in good directions. Transforming characters had the drawback of ambiguous tactics and such, and I believe that they have become more fresh now.”

I can't help but feel that "3ds limitations" is sort of a copout for some of the design changes to quell complaints. Months back I had just as well assumed it was part of Namco Bandai's balance direction, where some gimmicks were dropped for the sake of normalization. Either way, I enjoy looking at developer notes for why things are designed the way they are, so good on Sakurai either way.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
While I mostly played as Zelda, I did play Shielda often as well and enjoyed that freedom. I am glad they were separated but I felt a but melancholy as well. However, as a Zamus was my secondary in Brawl/P:M; I am ecstatic to see she was separated from Samus. A bit sad about Nana and Popo though.

Last edited:

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
"3DS Limits" is going to be a thing with Sak isn't it?

Anything that fans don't like or has changed things up? slap a "3DS limits" sticker on it!

Fathom778

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPSICANEX2
For being able to play as Sheik without switching to Zelda by mistake, I like this change.
For Pokemon Trainer's cut, I'm not happy.
I respect Sakurai still.
Hopeful next time we can have a more powerful handheld.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Hey.
Hey.
HEY.
HEY!
Hey.
No.
I don't mean I like having character cuts, but from a balance perspective, the ICs always been a nightmare (due to having infinites and little else). I'd still have rather them be split up and Nana be a Popo clone, but that's neither here nor there at this point.

For transformers, getting that extra move helps flesh them out, anyway. How many Smash players do you know who use both Zelda and Sheik in the same match in a game that isn't PM anyway?

subata

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3368-2147-2073
3DS limitations just improved the game. Just like when the limitations resulted in the Climbers being removed.
don't even touch that with the rage-maker stick.
just don't.

Khao

Smash Lord
I'm honestly surprised, didn't think that something like this would be a problem when you're just loading and processing one character at a time.

I'm glad it happened either way, just very surprised that it was because of hardware limitations. (to the point I'm having a hard time believing it.)

K-45

Smash Journeyman
Well I'm happy they are separated. It kind was cool that they were the same character but with 2 different play styles really didn't make it useful. Its nice to see each solo character have a full moveset.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
With or without the limitation, this is a welcome change. Didn't like the idea that I have to switch between Zelda and Sheik while having a chance of being gimped. But now I might play these two a little more often, especially Sheik.

Johnny Heart Gold

Smash Journeyman
I always felt like Sakurai didn't want to create a Zelda newcomer so he did it that way to use sheik as a "new" character with her own slot. Actually I don't think he'll ever did a zelda newcomer ever

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
So,it wasn't due to balance demands on why transformation characters were finally separated into their own individual character? There's actually another reason? Well it was an unavoidable reason that points back to technical limitations with the 3ds.Either way,it's great news. Lol

Last edited:

Ceadda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lethality
3DS FC
2878-9806-5002
I was very happy to hear this when he announced it, now I won't accidentally transform into someone else.

Hopefully Sakurai keeps it like this for future iterations as well.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Thank you, limitations! :laugh:
But seriously though, I don't get how the 3DS can't handle transforming characters, but I'm glad. Turning into ZSS after using Samus' FS and not being able to change back until using another Smash Ball was SO annoying. Sheik and Zelda, eh, I mostly used Sheik anyway, so don't mind them splitting anyway.

Overclocked

Smash Cadet
NNID
superfamicomwars
I like this change. Maybe now I will play a bit more Zelda/Sheik without the transformation mechanic.

I do agree with what others in this thread have said that Sakurai seems to be using the technical limitations excuse for any change that people may not like, however.

Last edited:

Cammed Z28

SB-Jgd = My FG gamer tag
3DS FC
2852-9484-2780
I'm honestly surprised, didn't think that something like this would be a problem when you're just loading and processing one character at a time.

I'm glad it happened either way, just very surprised that it was because of hardware limitations. (to the point I'm having a hard time believing it.)
oh, wow, what a most fascinating opinion... you are obviously some type of genius hardware engineer whom once worked for Nintendo and is now an independent design consultant. Right? Since you have such intricate knowledge of the 3DS's inner workings.....obviously you cannot possibly be just some anon guy who is talking out of his butthole concerning the perceived false limitations of the 3ds to other folks on the interweb

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Yet another reason to love Smash 3DS. Transforming characters were so lame.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I'm happy these characters were split up and given a new move in Zelda/Sheik's case. Sucks that it was because the 3DS is limiting it and not Sakurai just doing it because it's awesome. lol

Jucchan

Smash Journeyman
Really happy that transforming characters were separated, it gave him the ability to redesign the movesets of characters like Charizard, ZSS, and Sheik.

Ragnorok_Kitty

Smash Rookie
I prefer seperate characters. Pokemon trainer was a cool idea but sort of a pain. Same for zelda. and ZSS armor was sort of OP.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I won't say that all transformations were a terrible idea outright, but the execution was definitely less than ideal. Things like Sheik/Zelda and Pokemon Trainer were good ideas, they just weren't balanced out at all. Samus/ZSS was just bad. Ice Climbers in 4... just unfortunate. Sad that they viewed ICs so lowly that they weren't worth the total rebuild. I always liked ICs... #SoloPopo

I can definitely see how, if transformations worked like they did in Melee/Brawl, they would never work on 3DS. I believe it. The 4 demo had game-crashing glitches with Giga Mac and Giga Bowser as it was...

WhiteCane

Smash Apprentice
NNID
3DisBlind-Man
3DS FC
5172-2293-0234
Add more characters to the roster i'm down with that., wanted to try a pokemon trainer out tho, please be dlc. :002::007:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
3DS limitations? Let me remind you the time it took to transform from Zelda to Sheik, and Samus and Zero Suit Samus, and switch Pokemon in Brawl. It was very noticeable how long it took. In Melee, that wasn't an issue since it was almost instant. I'm blaming hardware and software design as a whole. Brawl looked amazing for a Wii game, but that came at a cost and transformation is heavy on hardware. Yes, the 3DS isn't powerful, but if they pushed the Wii U too much, I wouldn't be surprised if transformations took long as well.

Heck, with Microsoft's stupid planning, the Xbox One is under-performing and knowing people, they love to use that as a way to boost their e-peen, justification, and basically get off on being superior. Sad, so sad. Same deal is happening with the Wii U, PS4, and everything in existence. Anyway, I digress.

Most people argue that performance matters much, much more in fighting, shooters, RTS, hack n' slash, and other games with fast-pace gameplay or fine tune controls. Although workable, DmC: Devil May Cry running at 30 FPS for consoles wasn't fluid enough; the PC ran at an unlocked frame rate - if you can, you could have it run in the +100's and it's kind of easy since DmC and DMC games aren't that demanding. A solid 60 FPS is the target for games like those.

Let's say even if it ran at 60 FPS, that's nothing if transformations take too long. A tag team character who switches in and out should be quick and not stall or lag the game. A transformation shouldn't be long. Realistically, Saiyans ascending each level would probably be destroyed if it took that long; the villains would just go to their own Hyperbolic Chambers and surpass or even out that power boost. A quick "unlock" like Alucard in Hellsing unlocking his restraints, or Nero's Devil Trigger which is slower, but offers invincibility frames and acts like a shield compared to Dante's instant DT, would work fine. It's all about balance.

That said, it's a technical marvel to be able to offer a game on two different systems and still have them playing almost identically even with cutbacks. Also, I really like Sheik having new moves - both the grenade and Bouncing Fish look amazing. As for Charizard, call it being faithful to gameplay since Pokemon can only have 4 moves aside from attacking normally like biting, clawing, etc. Zelda, I still wished she had different moves instead of giving her the Great Fairies' gifts to Link which she never used at all or made a reference to in Ocarina of Time or any other games. The Phantom Slash technically shouldn't be hers at all, but Toon Zelda or even Toon Link as a tag team attack with Toon Zelda. Oh well.

Last edited:

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
I don't know why I'm here. I didn't play as Zelda/Sheik, Pokémon Trainer, or Samus/ZSS, so I'm not awfully affected by this.

That said, I do think making them all separate characters was a good idea. Perhaps I couldn't get into playing any of the above characters because of the whole transformation thing. I still won't main any of them when 4 comes out, but I think this is a positive change overall. Something tells me Sakurai usually does good things with Smash when they're unintentional.

I don't play Ice Climbers either, but it's sad to see them be cut. Come Melee I had no idea who they were, and while I still kind of don't get them, I'd come to accept them as another solid character, and, admittedly, one I kind of liked regardless.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
oh, wow, what a most fascinating opinion... you are obviously some type of genius hardware engineer whom once worked for Nintendo and is now an independent design consultant. Right? Since you have such intricate knowledge of the 3DS's inner workings.....obviously you cannot possibly be just some anon guy who is talking out of his butthole concerning the perceived false limitations of the 3ds to other folks on the interweb
What are you doing? It was an honest misunderstanding. I don't see why you felt the need to call him out so rudely.
Percieved False Limitations? He's literally saying that he's surprised that the 3DS couldn't handle transformations. I know, right? Shame on him for thinking the 3DS could actually handle such a thing! Geez...

Cammed Z28

SB-Jgd = My FG gamer tag
3DS FC
2852-9484-2780
What are you doing? It was an honest misunderstanding. I don't see why you felt the need to call him out so rudely.
Percieved False Limitations? He's literally saying that he's surprised that the 3DS couldn't handle transformations. I know, right? Shame on him for thinking the 3DS could actually handle such a thing! Geez...

Shame on you for being unable to detect sarcasm

Top Bottom