• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai explains why Ridley isn't Playable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaidya

Smash Apprentice

The picture I posted, and you quoted, shows Olimar's entire body fitting in ROB's eye socket.

And lol I'm not an admin.
You're a moderator. Same thing essentially.

Your point? For all you know, Olimar can be grown for Smash battles. It's not like this doesn't happen at all. Explain Distant Planet and Garden of Hope. Everyone is technically shrunken down, while Olimar remains the same size.

King Donkey Kong

Banned via Warnings
The deconfirmation isn't what bothers me. As you said yourself, we've known about it for months. What bothers me is that the one faulty argument that's been an annoyance to Ridley fans since day 1 ended up being the one thing that kept him out of a playable slot. It's infuriating to know that something that's been proven wrong with visual evidence and mockups hundreds of times ended up being why there's not a Ridley subsection to these boards right now.

Then don't say "everyone should be happy" and patronize us when you know damn well there are people who won't be.
Faulty argument? His logic is flawless. Any real Ridley fan wouldn't want him to be shrunk down to fit with the others, and it seems giant fighters are not going to happen, Sakurai is a true Ridley fan!

You should be happy, Ridley looks freaking glorious.

Also I found this:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Your point? For all you know, Olimar can be grown for Smash battles. It's not like this doesn't happen at all. Explain Distant Planet and Garden of Hope. Everyone is technically shrunken down, while Olimar remains the same size.
If it was possible for Olimar to inexplicably grow, the same can be said for Ridley shrinking. That's my point. If Olimar can do it despite ROB being there, Ridley can do it despite Samus being there.

And as another point, people: making alternate accounts is against the rules and infractable. Don't think we don't see it. Just another PSA.

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
The most corrupt country ever, except most others.
Faulty argument? His logic is flawless. Any real Ridley fan wouldn't want him to be shrunk down to fit with the others, and it seems giant fighters are not going to happen, Sakurai is a true Ridley fan!

Also I found this:

Flawless my ***.

Kirby doesn't have infinite jumps in a Smash like he does in Kirby games. Does that make him not Kirby? Link's and Samus's arsenals are stripped down to maintain a reasonable amount of moves for the characters. Does that make them inaccurate portrayals of said characters? Peach can actually fend for herself in this game as opposed to the helpless damsel she usually is. Does that make her not Peach? The Ness in Smash and the Ness in EarthBound have completely different movepools, Smash Sonic can't break the sound barrier while Sonic series Sonic can... really, I can go on. The opinions expressed in this interview could not be more flimsy.

Better yet, as others have pointed out here, being a piñata who subjects to whoever can beat him up the easiest is not an accurate portrayal of Ridley, making the statement outright hypocritical.

Last edited:

the8thark

Smash Lord
Then don't say "everyone should be happy" and patronize us when you know damn well there are people who won't be.
Sakurai will not please everyone with every little point of each SSB game. And he knows it. As long as he has his justified reasons for each thing he puts in the game or leaves out of the game and the game is damn fun then we all win. Sakurai is not God, he can't make perfection, he just tries his best.

Vaidya

Smash Apprentice

The picture I posted, and you quoted, shows Olimar's entire body fitting in ROB's eye socket.

Oh nice. You decide to flag me for "trolling." "Ehhh I'm not an admin." Yeah well you abuse your power.

Guys! This guy flagged me for speaking my mind! Smash community everyone!

wildvine47

Smash Ace

He's a wimpy punching bag who joins you and lets you kill him scot free for beating him up. He's not "glorious", he's a disgrace. Also, your definition of "true Ridley fan" is hilariously twisted.

But you're not here to debate. You're here to gloat. So I'm not going to bother.

Last edited:

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
I knew this is what Sakurai's reasoning would be and I agree 100%

I'm no Ridley hater. I don't care if he's in the game or not. But the man's point makes sense.

Beard Hawk

Smash Apprentice
How many Fire Emblem characters are there? TOO MANY.

The Metroid series has made 2 exceptional games, and some very good games... and it only has 2 TRUE characters. Samus and Ridley.
Zero Suit Samus is a joke of a character, excluding endgame appearances she has only been in 2 games, one was just a remake, and the other was awful. She only gets put in smash because sex sells.
I'm also surprised that Toad has never made an appearance in Smash, I suppose the argument there is "too many Mario characters already..." But Mario IS iconic, Fire Emblem is only popular in one country and is a relatively new game to the rest of the world. I'm surprised full on Ganon has never been a non-final smash playable character as well.

I wouldn't mind if they even tried out more experimental characters and dropped them for Smash5 if they didn't work out. Once they've made a character they seem terrified of changing anything, like Ganondorf.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I am not quite sure people are getting the "size concept."

Ridley would not just be shrunken down, his proportions would have to be re-calibrated.

He is lanky, has a long tail, has wings, a protruding neck. Now there are some solutions to these problems, but Sakurai did not want to take the time or adjust the character's physical design too much.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh nice. You decide to flag me for "trolling." "Ehhh I'm not an admin." Yeah well you abuse your power.

Abuse of power my ass.

Shadenfreude and personal attacks on others aren't allowed here. If you REALLY have an issue though, we have Forum Support for that. Doing that sort of spiel here is off topic and considered spam.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
I'm really happy that Ridley is confirmed to be too big and will never be in Smash, meaning that his character will never be ruined. Thanks based Sakurai

Last edited:

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman

Whether or not you are speaking your mind is irrelevant to why you're getting flagged for trolling. You are being outright malicious to Ridley fans (you might as well just kick a malnourished puppy while you're at it), which the mods explicitly stated is not okay.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
He's a wimpy punching bag who joins you and lets you kill him scot free for beating him up. He's not glorious, he's a disgrace. Also, your definition of "true Ridley fan" is hilariously twisted.

But you're not here to debate. You're here to gloat. So I'm not going to bother.
If you disagree with sakurai that's fine but don't act like he's an idiot for not agreeing with you about ridley. after all, he's the one who is dealing with reality and not hypotheticals when he makes the game.

JohnathanACE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JohnathanACE
3DS FC
0946-2312-2428
He's a wimpy punching bag who joins you and lets you kill him scot free for beating him up. He's not "glorious", he's a disgrace. Also, your definition of "true Ridley fan" is hilariously twisted.

Yeah, the more I think about it the less it makes sense for Ridley to be basically just an over sized Flying Man. Like I said I'm happy he's in the game and all but this portrayal of him is not right at all.

Last edited:

OnettGirl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Antagonistgreen
3DS FC
4742-5570-4170
Well, if this isn't the most sensitive topic i've ever seen.

This sucks for big Ridley fans for sure. But at the same time I do agree with his points. I've always seen him as just a really good boss character. You have to at least leave room to have some bosses right? Now this is coming from someone who has never played a Metroid game in her life and has only watched Lets Plays. As an outsider looking in I always thought the idea of shrinking down Ridley would 1) be hard to do and 2) not make him look like the menacing murderous big purple dragon he's supposed to be. I try picturing it in my head but shrinking him down would really screw with his proportions. He just wouldn't look right I dunno, maybe I don't have the proper vision for it. And I really don't think the Olimar or Ganondorf arguments hold up for reasons previously stated in the first two pages.

However it's clearly obvious Sakurai did try and does know the demand for Ridley as a playable character. At least he came out and gave reasons for not adding him. Sakurai is a perfectionist, and if something's not perfect in his eyes he does everything in his power to make it perfect. It shows that he cares about the character, his personality, and his status in the series. Not every character has the luxury of being told why they were cut or weren't added. [AKA: :roymelee::pichumelee::snake::lucas::wolf:] Were only left to speculate.

Vaidya

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
Whether or not you are speaking your mind is irrelevant to why you're getting flagged for trolling. You are being outright malicious to Ridley fans (you might as well just kick a malnourished puppy while you're at it), which the mods explicitly stated is not okay.
I'm not malicious to Ridley fans. I'm malicious to those who are annoying and won't accept the fact that Ridley was deconfirmed a while ago. They have beens spamming in the community with their want, when the entire time it was for nothing. It's like if people wanted Waluigi to be even when he was deconfirmed. It's happened by the way with him. If Ridley is in, great, if he's not, oh well. If you like Ridley, it's not my duty to tell you your opinion sucks. If you think Ridley has a chance to be in the game, even when there were soft deconfirmations, there's something VERY wrong with you.

King Donkey Kong

Banned via Warnings
Alternate Account Warning Received
Flawless my ***.

Kirby doesn't have infinite jumps in a Smash like he does in Kirby games. Does that make him not Kirby? Link's and Samus's arsenals are stripped down to maintain a reasonable amount of moves for the characters. Does that make them inaccurate portrayals of said characters? Peach can actually fend for herself in this game as opposed to the helpless damsel she usually is. Does that make her not Peach? The Ness in Smash and the Ness in EarthBound have completely different movepools, Smash Sonic can't break the sound barrier while Sonic series Sonic can... really, I can go on. The opinions expressed in this interview could not be more flimsy.

Better yet, as others have pointed out here, being a piñata who subjects to whoever can beat him up the easiest is not an accurate portrayal of Ridley, making the statement outright hypocritical.
Overreacting, I'll let you chill for awhile.

I'm here to discuss, I did my gloating back in April...

the8thark

Smash Lord
Can we just say lots of people broke the rules here.

- Some general members got too salty or over hyped about this and said some abrupt or uncaring things.

- Some moderators spammed their threatening "obey the rules or get an infraction" spam. Totally uncalled for. If the moderators wanted to do this, just edit the original post so it's here once and not clogging up the forum. And it would be done in a polite way, not in a harassing way as was done in this forum.
It just clogs up the topic and the members can read the rules in the rules section. And it forces the members to reply to it thus clogging up the forum even more. So basically two wrongs and it just snowballs.

In short it's a mess to which many people contributed.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I guess I'm just bothered by this because I absolutely loathe the stage bosses concept. If you want to do the character justice, make him an Assist Trophy or hell, don't put him in at all. Even though I've wanted Samurai Goroh since Brawl, being a summoned character is a far better thing than just being a massive target that you're encouraged to beat up. Especially since Ridley joining whoever beats him up the most makes him a glorified AT anyway.

Not putting him anywhere would personally be more preferable than both those options though.

Last edited:

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
Overreacting, I'll let you chill for awhile.

I'm here to discuss, I did my gloating back in April...
Overreacting? Those examples rolled right off the top of my head. I am simply telling it like it is - there are so many examples of characters having some quality about them compromised to fit the rules of Super Smash Bros. But that doesn't make them bad representations of the character. Ridley being scaled down though (even though his size varies across Metroid canon) and not being able to fly constantly? Oh no, you can't represent the character that way. The only thing I can see here is double standard and blatant hypocrisy.

If you're here to discuss, then don't ignore the basic points of the people you're discussing with.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord

The point is that daddy Sakurai said Ridley is too damn big to be in the game, while in reality Olimar is only centimeters tall, making him too damn small to be in the game. If they enlarged Olimar, why can't they shrink Ridley? Sakurai is contradicting himself when he says he stays true to the characters' source material and does want to bend them out of shape, for a lack of a better term, to be in the game, when they enlarged Olimar more than they would have to shrink Ridley.

Your post just proved how Sakurai contradicts himself, and proved the point of us "butthurt" Ridley fans. Maybe there should be a Godzilla city-based level, so everyone can fight Ridley.

"Explain Distant Planet and Garden of Hope."... I would love for Sakurai to do that after this whole Ridley explanation.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII

The Metroid series has made 2 exceptional games, and some very good games... and it only has 2 TRUE characters. Samus and Ridley.
Zero Suit Samus is a joke of a character, excluding endgame appearances she has only been in 2 games, one was just a remake, and the other was awful. She only gets put in smash because sex sells.
I'm also surprised that Toad has never made an appearance in Smash, I suppose the argument there is "too many Mario characters already..." But Mario IS iconic, Fire Emblem is only popular in one country and is a relatively new game to the rest of the world. I'm surprised full on Ganon has never been a non-final smash playable character as well.

I wouldn't mind if they even tried out more experimental characters and dropped them for Smash5 if they didn't work out. Once they've made a character they seem terrified of changing anything, like Ganondorf.
Oh look, more pointing fingers at other series.
But yes, you're right on some points. Yes, Fire Emblem has a lot of characters because the FE series has a massive cast to choose from.
Yes, Metroid only has Samus and Ridley because that's all there is in the Metroid series! Anything else in the Metroid games that would be considered a character is pretty much one-offish. Rundas, Anthony Higgins, Sylux. Is anyone rallying for these characters? No. Dark Samus would work but everyone's already ******** about Dark versions of characters.
Ridley's too big. Metroid has no one else to choose from. End of story.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Lol, I can't believe Sakurai actually came out and said this. Little does he know he has set off a bomb.

Sakurais right, though. Ridley is too big and shrinking him down to the size of a heavyweight wouldn't be an accurate representation of him or his presence in the series. He's not like Bowser who has multiple designs within the series to go off of. They didn't shrink bowser. Ridley designs only has two, from what I've seen.

His NES/SNES Design, which looks like his design as a boss/assist character and his appearance in the Melee intro.

and his gamecube series design, where he's flipping huge.

So yeah, RIP Ridley. It looks like you'll get your chance...another day.

Oh wait :troll:

PKNinja95

Smash Ace
NNID
AKninja95
3DS FC
3351-4567-0361
I am seriously not trying to be a ass, but I knew he was never going to be playable anyway.

I like Ridley, and his theme music, but I saw this coming for a while.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Oh look, more pointing fingers at other series.
But yes, you're right on some points. Yes, Fire Emblem has a lot of characters because the FE series has a massive cast to choose from.
Yes, Metroid only has Samus and Ridley because that's all there is in the Metroid series! Anything else in the Metroid games that would be considered a character is pretty much one-offish. Rundas, Anthony Higgins, Sylux. Is anyone rallying for these characters? No. Dark Samus would work but everyone's already *****ing about Dark versions of characters.
Ridley's too big. Metroid has no one else to choose from. End of story.
Here is your Metroid series character for Smash Brawl (that is not the size of a building like Ridley).

An awakened Chozo.

Last edited:

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of double standards, let's talk (yet again because clearly it hasn't gotten repetitive enough) about the core of the "too big" argument itself.

It's flimsy. Really, really flimsy and deeply flawed. It's based on the idea that other Nintendo characters can change size whenever the heck they want, but Ridley can't because... reasons? Come to think of it, no one's ever elaborated on what exactly makes Ridley the only "too big" character. Melee intro Ridley looks just fine, and his size varies across Metroid canon just like any Nintendo villain does across their series canon.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

- Some moderators spammed their threatening "obey the rules or get an infraction" spam. Totally uncalled for. If the moderators wanted to do this, just edit the original post so it's here once and not clogging up the forum. And it would be done in a polite way, not in a harassing way as was done in this forum.
It just clogs up the topic and the members can read the rules in the rules section. And it forces the members to reply to it thus clogging up the forum even more. So basically two wrongs and it just snowballs.

You do realize that telling people the rules isn't spam, right? Editing the original post would do nothing, especially when others blatantly ignore moderator warnings already.

Have an issue with this? Forum Support is the proper place. This is not.

JohnathanACE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JohnathanACE
3DS FC
0946-2312-2428
Here is your Metroid series character for Smash Brawl (that is not the size of a building like Ridley).

An awakened Chozo.
While I still disagree that Riley is too big (the size of a building? Really) I think the Chozo ideas actually pretty darn good idea.

Nowhere in that article says he states Ridley is too big to be playable.
He didn't outright say it but it was implied.

Speaking of double standards, let's talk (yet again because clearly it hasn't gotten repetitive enough) about the core of the "too big" argument itself.

It's flimsy. Really, really flimsy and deeply flawed. It's based on the idea that other Nintendo characters can change size whenever the heck they want, but Ridley can't because... reasons? Come to think of it, no one's ever elaborated on what exactly makes Ridley the only "too big" character. Melee intro Ridley looks just fine, and his size varies across Metroid canon just like any Nintendo villain does across their series canon.
Most people complain about proportions but even those can be changed (remember people Sakurai said himself "we could probably make i work"). It seems that when we say "shrink Ridley down") people think we mean as big as Pikachu or something.

Last edited:

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
I'm still waiting on a metroid game that explores the chozo stuff more in depth.

or any metroid game at this point

jman1954goat

Smash Cadet
Warning Received
this thread is not long for this world R.I.P. sakurai says ridley is too big to be playable thread 11/19/14 to 11/19/14

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
I went from reading the first page to reading the fifth page and it seems like this whole discussion has gotten a whole lot stupider.

You're proving my point.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Ridley can sure get our Smash community all fired up and emotional.
Kind of hard not to when he's the only character who has had a stigma as to why he can't be in attached to him for nearly a decade. Now we find that the director subscribes to that thought process, and we're having yet another clash between fans, haters, and neutrals.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
I think Sakurai is an awesome director and could never truly say anything bad about what he's done for the Smash series. My one and only problem with him was always his character selections.

I see where he's coming from but people wouldn't care if he was scaled down in size with his wings closed. That's what final smashes are for! He could be his actual size for his FS. He wings could even open a little for his recover. Owell though. It is what it is. Metroid still needs another rep.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375

- Some general members got too salty or over hyped about this and said some abrupt or uncaring things.

Two posts from the mods about that isn't clogging up the forum.

Oh, and you are basically the only one who replied to their posts, yet you talk about other members being forced to reply.

Okay.
Flawless my ***.

Every example you just gave is quite different from Ridley's situation. All those changes were made to achieve balance. If Kirby has limited jumps, Samus has unlimited missiles, and Sonic doesn't break the sound barrier, it's okay. Their portrayals are still accurate because those particular features aren't as drastic as sizing Ridley down.

And you people are reading too much into Ridley's function as a stage hazard. It's just something to make Ridley different from the typical stage hazard.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
For the most part, it's mostly the wings that are the biggest problem for Ridley. Even if he's resized to a shorter height, those wings are still going to be larger than Charizard's wings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom