• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai explains 'Dark Pit' and more....

atomicblast360

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AtomicBlast360
Why would anybody be bothered by these clones? Makes no sense. They are just extra characters who took up no time or replaced anyone. There is no reason to complain at all, if they were costumes, there would have been no extra characters, and all the cut characters would have still been cut.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
To be fair, Sakurai said that in good taste and good fun, even though the statement that prompted him to say it was quite obnoxious.
I suppose it's the way people use that quote to try and defend Smash from criticism that has me think Sakurai said it in that way.
Doesn't really change my opinion on him much.

Tenchi Boom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TenchiBoom
Why would anybody be bothered by these clones? Makes no sense. They are just extra characters who took up no time or replaced anyone. There is no reason to complain at all, if they were costumes, there would have been no extra characters, and all the cut characters would have still been cut.
This

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
It looked like he was trying to say that balance can only come to a certain point until characters' uniqueness doesn't get hurt by it.
Yeah, but doing something like increasing the power of :4gaw:'s finishers, or making :4bowserjr:'s attacks less laggy won't kill their uniqueness. It would just make them a better character.

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
Yeah, but doing something like increasing the power of :4gaw:'s finishers, or making :4bowserjr:'s attacks less laggy won't kill their uniqueness. It would just make them a better character.
In fact I don't think that such questions are out of question, especially considering that as well :4ganondorf:'s landing lag on aerials got reduced and Floppy Fish got weakened(in this second case, it was even out of the archetype of the character to reliably kill under 150%).

For the Dark Pit question, it looks like there are two reason for him being a separate character but not the koopalings/Alph:
1) He's from Kid Icarus
2) He had a concept art of the Electroshock Arm, where he would need to start from the absolute zero for other characters. In other words, just like clones themselves work, it's not about choosing to separate him or another re-skin, but to separate him or to don't separate re-skins at all, especially for something as trivial as characters' aestethic issues.
3) He's cooler
Probably because we wanted them to spend time to make them unique rather than a clone.

I guess?
Assuming that the deadline of the game remained the same, they couldn't, since the time to create and balancing the three clones doesn't equate the time to make a single unique character, as the article said, for that reason they probably came in Sakurai's mind in the 2014, while the rest of the cast did it in the 2012

Last edited:

Vaidya

Smash Apprentice
I never implied I wanted Dr. Mario to not have pills or Dark Pit not using the staff.

I was just commenting on how Sakurai went on using spare time to make those characters more distinct, even though it went against his original plan to include clone characters. I was commenting on how game development is unpredictable.

No need to be rude about it.
Dude, it's a clone. Who cares. Again, Nintendo representation. Really, that's what matters. That's why this game is so popular.

Besides clones are just bonus characters. Please get rid of this misconception of clones taking spots, because they aren't.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Dude, it's a clone. Who cares. Again, Nintendo representation. Really, that's what matters. That's why this game is so popular.

Besides clones are just bonus characters. Please get rid of this misconception of clones taking spots, because they aren't.
You're being absolutely rude to Frostwraith for no reason and started shoving words into his mouth. Nowhere did he ever claimed clones were a bad thing nor did he ever say clones took slots.

Go actually read his posts in the thread. You're just taking things he said out of context and attack him over it. Seriously man, not cool at all.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
My guess is that as costumes, characters like Dr. Mario would share statistics in the Fighter Records with Mario. He couldn't figure out a way to separate the statistics properly, so split them off. Same with the others, obviously. I can agree with this. Maybe next game he can put them on one slot properly by using an L/R switch method.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
My guess is that as costumes, characters like Dr. Mario would share statistics in the Fighter Records with Mario. He couldn't figure out a way to separate the statistics properly, so split them off. Same with the others, obviously. I can agree with this. Maybe next game he can put them on one slot properly by using an L/R switch method.
Maybe. Perhaps the data structure of the game wasn't made with variations in mind, so the only way to record those fighters' records would be to split them off, even if the changes were minimal.

But I feel that Sakurai wants costumes to be merely aesthetic changes in the sense that, if you change a costume via X/Y buttons, you won't be altering the gameplay at all, whereas by selecting a different roster slot, there will be changes in gameplay. There's some real consistency here.

Maybe Alph was also considered to be separate but they didn't come up with any ideas to make him different from Olimar that would be easy to implement. I mean, there are the Rock Pikmin, but maybe they thought they would be too similar to Purple Pikmin, not to mention he wouldn't always have those Pikmin at his disposal, so the differences would be minimal, even more than Dark Pit's differences compared to Pit. Another idea would be to replace the Hocotate Ship with the SS Drake (different hit boxes for the Final Smash), but the latter already appears in the background of the Garden of Hope stage, so it's not a feasible option. Lastly, the Japanese version calls them "Pikmin & Olimar/Alph", implying the main focus are the Pikmin, rather than the captains, so it might also have been a factor to not make Alph a clone. There's also the fact that Alph doesn't have the same level of popularity as Lucina and Dark Pit have, at least in Japan, so it's a valid reason to leave him as a lower priority for the clones, assuming they also considered on turning him into a clone but ran out of time.

Other possibilities would have been the gender swaps, Wario's costumes or Mac's costumes, but they're identified as the same characters, so it would be absurd to separate them. The Koopalings are only other characters that could have been clones, but given there are 7 of them, it would have been overkill to separate them all, not to mention how they would have to try and make each Koopaling as unique as possible. Partially separating them would be odd.

Removing Marth's tippers was an easy addition, as those are a slight change on the hit boxes. It's an easy way to make a newcomer-friendly version of a character. Lucina was thus separated.

Dr. Mario had slight changes to his moves, which are simple value changes, either knockback, damage, hit boxes and even the elemental effects. Dr. Tornado and the down air are based on Luigi's given the similar models, animations and move proprieties.

Dark Pit had slight changes to some of his moves, so once again, basic value changes. The Final Smash is based on Zelda's and was likely implemented because they had Zelda's Light Arrow as a basis to make another powerful straight-line projectile attack.

The common denominator is that all those ideas and changes were easy and fast to implement and were free of potential issues as they're based on finished content. Given they're essentially copy-pasted content, the probability to run into bugs was quite low. They wouldn't have been added if they were bigger trouble than worth.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Maybe. Perhaps the data structure of the game wasn't made with variations in mind, so the only way to record those fighters' records would be to split them off, even if the changes were minimal.
Alternatively, it was a 3DS problem. It didn't seem to be an issue for Sheik and Zero Suit Samus in Brawl...

But I feel that Sakurai wants costumes to be merely aesthetic changes in the sense that, if you change a costume via X/Y buttons, you won't be altering the gameplay at all, whereas by selecting a different roster slot, there will be changes in gameplay. There's some real consistency here.
True. And with transformations gone in general, it made more sense to split them up fully.

Maybe Alph was also considered to be separate but they didn't come up with any ideas to make him different from Olimar that would be easy to implement. I mean, there are the Rock Pikmin, but maybe they thought they would be too similar to Purple Pikmin, not to mention he wouldn't always have those Pikmin at his disposal, so the differences would be minimal, even more than Dark Pit's differences compared to Pit. Another idea would be to replace the Hocotate Ship with the SS Drake (different hit boxes for the Final Smash), but the latter already appears in the background of the Garden of Hope stage, so it's not a feasible option. Lastly, the Japanese version calls them "Pikmin & Olimar/Alph", implying the main focus are the Pikmin, rather than the captains, so it might also have been a factor to not make Alph a clone. There's also the fact that Alph doesn't have the same level of popularity as Lucina and Dark Pit have, at least in Japan, so it's a valid reason to leave him as a lower priority for the clones, assuming they also considered on turning him into a clone but ran out of time.
Quite true. Now if only Dark Pit was a bit more unique. I also thought Dr. Mario was de-cloned first. I was wrong on that. D

Other possibilities would have been the gender swaps, Wario's costumes or Mac's costumes, but they're identified as the same characters, so it would be absurd to separate them. The Koopalings are only other characters that could have been clones, but given there are 7 of them, it would have been overkill to separate them all, not to mention how they would have to try and make each Koopaling as unique as possible. Partially separating them would be odd.
As a Wendy user, I prefer them as alts. Although I think it would've been fine to give them all one unique color besides themselves. So 16 costumes total.

Removing Marth's tippers was an easy addition, as those are a slight change on the hit boxes. It's an easy way to make a newcomer-friendly version of a character. Lucina was thus separated.

Dr. Mario had slight changes to his moves, which are simple value changes, either knockback, damage, hit boxes and even the elemental effects. Dr. Tornado and the down air are based on Luigi's given the similar models, animations and move proprieties.

Dark Pit had slight changes to some of his moves, so once again, basic value changes. The Final Smash is based on Zelda's and was likely implemented because they had Zelda's Light Arrow as a basis to make another powerful straight-line projectile attack.
Yep. I find them all fairly fun to play as, except Dark Pit. But only because Pit's new style doesn't work for me. I prefer his old style in Brawl in comparison. That said, I got no issues with their inclusions.(not that I didn't want Medusa, mind you)

The common denominator is that all those ideas and changes were easy and fast to implement and were free of potential issues as they're based on finished content. Given they're essentially copy-pasted content, the probability to run into bugs was quite low. They wouldn't have been added if they were bigger trouble than worth.
Indeed. And I love having Dr. Mario back myself~

Vaidya

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
You're being absolutely rude to Frostwraith for no reason and started shoving words into his mouth. Nowhere did he ever claimed clones were a bad thing nor did he ever say clones took slots.

Go actually read his posts in the thread. You're just taking things he said out of context and attack him over it. Seriously man, not cool at all.
Rude?? How the **** am I being rude. I'm trying to educate him, because the game is about the novelty of Nintendo characters. Cry and scream all you want, but that's how it's always been. You think people would care as much if they were generic characters?

Tell me where Im being rude. Tell me *****.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Rude?? How the **** am I being rude. I'm trying to educate him, because the game is about the novelty of Nintendo characters. Cry and scream all you want, but that's how it's always been. You think people would care as much if they were generic characters?

Tell me where Im being rude. Tell me *****.
For starters, all that swearing and then telling him to cry more? Read your posts, please. The tone is very aggressive and I'm not sure how you can miss that.

And once again, he was not saying he had a problem with clones. He NEVER had a problem with them, nor did he ever complained about their existence or slots. You're reading things way out of context. All he simply said was that it's interesting/funny how clones weren't planned from the start but they ended up happening anyways. He was only simply saying that because game development is unpredictable and he did not say it like it's a bad thing.

Last edited:

Rokuro777

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shocking_Bawls
This is a different article from what was shown in the homepage.

Anyway, it's not much new info, but it's the first time Sakurai goes on detail about Dark Pit, while once again sharing details on Lucina and Dr. Mario.

Lucina is newcomer-friendly Marth, Dr. Mario got his quirks from Melee and Dark Pit was given new weapons while having the same overall stats as Pit.

Sakurai didn't really like the idea of Dr. Mario shooting Fireballs and Dark Pit using the Three Sacred Treasures. Talk about nitpicky.

Interesting how Sakurai stated they didn't want to include clone fighters in this game, yet they happened. Game development can be indeed unpredictable.
Totally. I see this being a "legacy" title cherishing nintendo's game history, but does anyone really care about having Dark Pit other than him?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
In this context it's more so a problem with double standards then the characters themselves. Apparently trying to be accurate yet having contradictions in varies spots. If the contradictions didn't exist people would be more calm about it, but these recent interviews emphasizing "being accurate" constantly is putting a sour taste in people's mouths. Which is justifiable since there are some legit contradictions, like why Ganondorf is based around Captain Falcon and Ridley being submissive to who ever bashes his face in.

Hell Dark Pit isn't even accurate. If there truly was supposed to be an attempt at accuracy, Dark Pit's Silver Bow would have more differences with it compared to Pit's Palutena Bow to reflect how different the weapons were despite the similar appearance.

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368
Meh. He put time to make Dark Pit a clone, and Koopalings as alternative colors. But Dark Samus is only a color swap. :v

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
So while some are upset that Dr. Mario isn't an Alt, I'm just here wondering why the **** is there a Waluigi Mario pallet swap and not a Flying Mario one!?!
Also seeing a Lucina Brawl mod makes me wish she at least had her idle stance like she does in Awakening. Of course who knows how much more work it would've taken to change such animation.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So while some are upset that Dr. Mario isn't an Alt, I'm just here wondering why the **** is there a Waluigi Mario pallet swap and not a Flying Mario one!?!
Yeah I really find that confusing myself. Same with the lack of a Cosmic Spirit Rosalina alt. I mean, she literally has the texture on her gown, they just need to put it all over her.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Why would anybody be bothered by these clones? Makes no sense. They are just extra characters who took up no time
Sorry, but even a clone takes some time to make. Bonuses they may be, but clones aren't done in two minutes. There's still things like voices, taunts, different properties to attacks, and other little tidbits that all add up to more work and time then people think. Work and time that could've been be used elsewhere.
Another idea would be to replace the Hocotate Ship with the SS Drake (different hit boxes for the Final Smash), but the latter already appears in the background of the Garden of Hope stage, so it's not a feasible option.
And yet you can have the Hocotate Ship as an item while Olimar uses another one at the same time for his FS.

Not to mention dozens of other examples where there's two or more of one thing when normally there wouldn't be.

Last edited:

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
My biggest problem is with Dark Pit. Lucina gets a free pass because as simple as her changes are compared to the other clones, they actually speak a lot about how a little change can make a completely new gameplay style. Her lack of tippers combined with faster(?) moves makes her more of a combo character compared to Marth's spacing and tipping, and it's really impressive that without even a special move change (who's to say Lucina couldn't have gotten more Roy-styled specials, like a slower combo Dolphin Slash or an overhead slash Shield Breaker?), the characters could play so radically different. Now remember that last sentence.

But Dark Pit is another story entirely. Dr. Mario isn't so much of a problem because he's Wolf/Lucas levels of fleshed out clones, even if he's just a weaker Mario compared to Melee Dr. Mario who was just a stronger Mario, even though the only difference could've easily been solved with the introduction of custom moves (who's to say Mario's Mario tornado couldn't have been a custom move swap for the FLUDD?).

Dark Pit isn't even a "clone" in smash terms. Pichu is a more fleshed out clone than he is. He has literally 3 differences (Electroshock arm which just launches at a different trajectory, slower but more powerful Silver Bow, and a new final smash THAT'S LITERALLY JUST A ****ING CLONE OF ZELDA'S FINAL SMASH THEY SERIOUSLY COULDN'T HAVE EVEN CHANGED THAT UP). Sakurai could've changed his move mechanics in a way that makes him unique and a different type of character. He could've gotten, at the very least, unique customs. Nope, all the attack moves are normal. The Special moves that aren't Neutral B and Sideb are normal. It's honestly annoying.

And before anybody asks, yes, I would've preferred Dark Pit not being a character in the game at all.

CoolBoyCorporate

Smash Cadet
Meh. He put time to make Dark Pit a clone, and Koopalings as alternative colors. But Dark Samus is only a color swap. :v
We have to remember that the process they went through wasn't that organized or "in control". Bowser Jr almost never made it while Greninja's moves were made all in 1 night.

Things like this must have happened all the time in development.

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368
By the end of the day.

The only opne to blame is that kid who grew up playing with Nintendo dolls to collecting trophies, and had no love or imagination to pour into the clone trophioes. :V

Wolf/Lucas levels of fleshed out clones,.
I don't quite understand how Wolf is a clone, like, at all. Sure, he's not a huge different, but I'm pretty sure all, but his specials are very different.

The specials being "similar", only that the usage, direction, and about everything else is different from Fox or Falco. Except form his reflector. That's just weird.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I guess that does make sense, still, I personally believe him and Dark Pit should of remained costumes. Though Dark Pit bothers me a lot more than Dr.Mario, if Sakuari found it weird for Pitto using the Three Sacred Treasures, then what made the Koopalings turning into Shadow Mario or Alph driving Olimar's ship make sense?
Or Wolf using a landmaster...

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
I don't quite understand how Wolf is a clone, like, at all. Sure, he's not a huge different, but I'm pretty sure all, but his specials are very different.

The specials being "similar", only that the usage, direction, and about everything else is different from Fox or Falco. Except form his reflector. That's just weird.
Wolf's moveset was based off of Fox's/Falco's moveset. It's entirely obvious. That makes him a clone. Is being a clone a bad thing? No. If he had a completely original moveset, like Wario got, then he wouldn't be a clone. Mewtwo's a clone too, for other, non-smash reasons.

What I consider clones (Lucas and Wolf) others will probably consider semi-clones at best, but my definition is more encompassing. I just wish people would stop saying crap like "NO!!! WOLF ISN'T A CLONE!!! UR DUMB" (not pointed at you, just in general).

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Wolf is definitely not a clone. Nor is Lucas. They're severely different while sharing a tiny slew of moves in Lucas' case, and two moves only in Wolf's case. Wolf isn't even a semi-clone. He doesn't have nearly enough of the same moves for that.

Frankly, if one special being the same means they're a clone, then Ike, Palutena, and Little Mac are all clones of Marth because of Counter. That's literally how similar Wolf is to Fox realistically. Final Smashes don't really count for much either.

Really, the only clones as of Smash 4 besides NPC's are Dr. Mario, Lucia, and Dark Pit at best.

Only Fox's Landmaster and somewhat his Reflector can really be called clone moves. The rest are significantly different. Wolf Flash and Fire Wolf have similar properties, but that's like comparing Skull Bash to Luigi Missile. They're similar, but still quite different moves. Not really clone moves. Wolf's Laser is a completely unique move. As are all his A moves.

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368
His ground game and aerials aren't even like Fox or Falco. He's not even Melee Ganondorf in comparison. And that guy was probably the biggest difference int he clone rooster in Melee. :V
Now if he's a clone entirely based of Special Moves and Final Smash. There, I suppose I can agree.
Despite the blaster having a melee damage at close range, and shoots very slow, it's still a blaster. Illusion has a sweet spot and goes diagonally, but it's Illusion, and the Wolf Fire(?) isn't much of a fire, they're still classic space animal.

Also, Falco still using Landmaster. If you prefer the air, get your Arwing fixed, dammit. Point a gun at Slippy.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hell Dark Pit isn't even accurate. If there truly was supposed to be an attempt at accuracy, Dark Pit's Silver Bow would have more differences with it compared to Pit's Palutena Bow to reflect how different the weapons were despite the similar appearance.
This is probably the only complaint I have about Dark Pit.
The fact Pittoo's using the Silver Bow should mean that there are differing properties in damage output and knockback, yet the two weapons function exactly the same in melee capability outside forward tilt (supposedly). Does not compute.

atomicblast360

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AtomicBlast360
Warning Received
Probably because we wanted them to spend time to make them unique rather than a clone.

I guess?
All the unique characters were finished, and they decided to make the alts characters, you make no sense with this statement

Wolf's moveset was based off of Fox's/Falco's moveset. It's entirely obvious. That makes him a clone. Is being a clone a bad thing? No. If he had a completely original moveset, like Wario got, then he wouldn't be a clone. Mewtwo's a clone too, for other, non-smash reasons.

What I consider clones (Lucas and Wolf) others will probably consider semi-clones at best, but my definition is more encompassing. I just wish people would stop saying crap like "NO!!! WOLF ISN'T A CLONE!!! UR DUMB" (not pointed at you, just in general).
Well a clone means that have to at least play similar, and Wolf and Fox don't, same with Ganondorf and Falcon, some moves may look similar, but they don't work the same at all.

I do respect you're opinion on what is a clone or not, but do understand not everyone thinks characters that play completely different and have lots of different moves are clones.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
Well a clone means that have to at least play similar, and Wolf and Fox don't, same with Ganondorf and Falcon, some moves may look similar, but they don't work the same at all.

I do respect you're opinion on what is a clone or not, but do understand not everyone thinks characters that play completely different and have lots of different moves are clones.
I said that in my own post. Almost verbatim, "My definition of clone characters in Smash might be wider than others''".

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
you say that like such thing as "balance" has ever existed in a smash game...
True. Yet I see no reason to not try and balance the game. Casual or competitive, no one likes losing as their favorite character, simply because who the other guy chose is better.

Last edited:

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
True. Yet I see no reason to not try and balance the game. Casual or competitive, no one likes losing as their favorite character, simply because who the other guy chose is better.
i think small balancing is nothing bad, but if the were to rebalance most of the cast it would be really boring and dull.

take a look for example at MMOs. most of them are updated every few months but some classes are still too good and the other too bad. i

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
i think small balancing is nothing bad, but if the were to rebalance most of the cast it would be really boring and dull.

take a look for example at MMOs. most of them are updated every few months but some classes are still too good and the other too bad. i
I'm not saying I'd like a huge overhaul. I just think some weaker characters (:4bowserjr::4dk::4drmario::4gaw::4zelda:) could use some minor buffs.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Sorry, but even a clone takes some time to make. Bonuses they may be, but clones aren't done in two minutes. There's still things like voices, taunts, different properties to attacks, and other little tidbits that all add up to more work and time then people think. Work and time that could've been be used elsewhere.

And yet you can have the Hocotate Ship as an item while Olimar uses another one at the same time for his FS.

Not to mention dozens of other examples where there's two or more of one thing when normally there wouldn't be.
The thing is that since they were planned as alts in the first place stuff like voice clips would have been made anyways, and there is also the fact that Pit and Dark Pit share the same VA so their lines could have been recorded in one session. Also this alts were probably made into their own characters during the testing phases of Pit, Marth and Mario; so even if it doesn`t take literal minutes to make they are still easy to implement. Because of this is just pointless and inaccurate to say that it`s work and time that could have been used for something else; this game gets tested and revised several times so its not like clones got in the way of that. This fighters aren`t responsible for taking away time from implementing your favorite character, stage element, mechanic, etc., this assumption is generally born out of ignorance and misblaming them for this is just a terrible way to cope with the reality of the situation.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Some people feel that characters such as Ridley or K Rool were snubbed in favor of the clones

Small Waves

Smash Cadet
Some people are bothered because they would like to use them as reskins, but the clones are flat-out worse in many important aspects. DP arrows are terrible and Pit's regular side-B is infinitely more practical for KOing, and while he does more damage, most of his finishers KO at later percentages compared to his original counterpart. DM's recovery is abysmal, keeping neither the jump buffer of Mario's cape or the rising effect of Luigi's down-b while having shorter jump height and higher gravity. Lucina has no tipper, which is what carried Marth for two games, while lugging around all the problems that Sm4sh's Marth suffers from.

Also it's hilarious that he split Pit and Dark Pit because of Three Sacred Treasures and the Marios because of pills and fireballs, while ignoring that the Kooplings all use Shadow Mario as a Final Smash, Robin can't use Dark Magic unless reclassed (note: no DM users can use swords), and that all of Ness's specials with exception to PK Flash (which didn't do damage in any Mother game) belonged to other characters.

Accuracy to the franchise being represented has never been a big deal since the first Smash title, so why pretend it is now?

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Some people are bothered because they would like to use them as reskins, but the clones are flat-out worse in many important aspects. DP arrows are terrible and Pit's regular side-B is infinitely more practical for KOing, and while he does more damage, most of his finishers KO at later percentages compared to his original counterpart. DM's recovery is abysmal, keeping neither the jump buffer of Mario's cape or the rising effect of Luigi's down-b while having shorter jump height and higher gravity. Lucina has no tipper, which is what carried Marth for two games, while lugging around all the problems that Sm4sh's Marth suffers from.

Also it's hilarious that he split Pit and Dark Pit because of Three Sacred Treasures and the Marios because of pills and fireballs, while ignoring that the Kooplings all use Shadow Mario as a Final Smash, Robin can't use Dark Magic unless reclassed (note: no DM users can use swords), and that all of Ness's specials with exception to PK Flash (which didn't do damage in any Mother game) belonged to other characters.

Accuracy to the franchise being represented has never been a big deal since the first Smash title, so why pretend it is now?
Tipless Lucina is actually a good character for those who rather not bother with the spacing that Marth needs, I don't see how that is a bad point for her. And Dr. Mario has his Tornado to aid in his recovery.

Also feeling that something is better for one character in an instance does not mean will never do or shouldn't do with others. A development process of a game can get unpredictable.
And in some cases is not that it's inaccurate, it's about being flexible and being able adapt. For example, you list the Koopalings but tell me something, do you seriously think that it would have been better to separate them into SEVEN different characters just to give them a Final Smash? And Robin isn't out of placing using dark magic, despite being unable to do in his default form, but considering his bloodline and the ability to generate a child with Shadow Gift it isn't much of a brainer. Same with Ness's PK Flash, they have to adapt that move from an RPG environment to a fighting one where it has to do damage.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
I really doubt Sakurai had Dark Pit as a separate character solely because the Final Smash wasn't relevant to the character in the context of their series. Now where have I seen that before...

FCOL you could've just left Dark Pit as a reskin.

Top Bottom