• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai explains 'Dark Pit' and more....

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
image.jpg

Just a little tidbit on General game development of the game. But he also goes into detail on his reasons for the outcome of the 'clone' characters.

Sorry im too lazy to type or look up wether this has been known already. :p

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Wasn't this covered in a front page article ages ago? I can't remember....
This is a different article from what was shown in the homepage.

Anyway, it's not much new info, but it's the first time Sakurai goes on detail about Dark Pit, while once again sharing details on Lucina and Dr. Mario.

Lucina is newcomer-friendly Marth, Dr. Mario got his quirks from Melee and Dark Pit was given new weapons while having the same overall stats as Pit.

Sakurai didn't really like the idea of Dr. Mario shooting Fireballs and Dark Pit using the Three Sacred Treasures. Talk about nitpicky.

Interesting how Sakurai stated they didn't want to include clone fighters in this game, yet they happened. Game development can be indeed unpredictable.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero

Anyway, it's not much new info, but it's the first time Sakurai goes on detail about Dark Pit, while once again sharing details on Lucina and Dr. Mario.

Lucina is newcomer-friendly Marth, Dr. Mario got his quirks from Melee and Dark Pit was given new weapons while having the same overall stats as Pit.

Sakurai didn't really like the idea of Dr. Mario shooting Fireballs and Dark Pit using the Three Sacred Treasures. Talk about nitpicky.

Interesting how Sakurai stated they didn't want to include clone fighters in this game, yet they happened. Game development can be indeed unpredictable.
A game developer has to remain flexible sometimes, especially when they can't complete every objective they originally planned.

A good developer should always have a back-up plan. That's what I've learnt. (I'm just a budding games artist.)

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
And yet still Sakurai skips over the fact that Pit and Pitoo aren't identical. It makes no sense to me why he'd lament over them being clones but skip every opportunity to say "Of course, their attacks have different properties" or something. Instead it's always things like "Dark Pit was needed for a different personality and final smash compared to a reskin. Didn't make sense for him to use the Treasures." etc. Just kinda strange.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

The hatered of dr mario shooting fireballs and dark pit using the 3 treasures which is light pit exclusive makes more sense of why they are not cowtume characters

And for one part of it

I KNEW IT!!

The challenger appoaching thing was way to popular to kill off

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Right, because Dark Pit using the Sacred Treasures wouldn't make sense, but the Koopalings turning into Shadow Mario makes perfect sense.

What bothers me most though is this statement:

"Having everything be totally fair would boost the competitive aspect but runs the chance of it no longer being about playing a game?"

What is he trying to say here? That balance is somehow a bad thing?

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Right, because Dark Pit using the Sacred Treasures wouldn't make sense, but the Koopalings turning into Shadow Mario makes perfect sense.

"Having everything be totally fair would boost the competitive aspect but runs the chance of it no longer being about playing a game?"

I'm guessing he's saying it's a pointless endeavor that will inevitably hurts the game's basic nature of being a simple fighter. But not sure how keeping most characters in check from being brain-dead easy to KO/free damage with is not making it Smash Bros no more. It's not like everyone here is asking Diddy Kong to be as good as Zelda, but just enough of a fix (which is the U-Air mostly) so he's not freely handing out KOs than most of the cast.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
If Sakuari didn't like the idea of Doctor Mario shooting fireballs, couldn't they have just made the vitamins an aesthetic change?

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
If Sakuari didn't like the idea of Doctor Mario shooting fireballs, couldn't they have just made the vitamins an aesthetic change?
They could, but Dr. Mario being a sort of unique character in Melee probably had more to do with him being a semi-clone in SSB4 since while Melee clones shared moves, they played very differently unlike the almost miniscule differences between Pit and Dark Pit or Lucina basically being a slightly shorter, female Marth with no tippers. If Dr. Mario never existed and this was his first time in SSB, then I could totally see him being an alt. Or if there was a Dr. Luigi, then he'd be an alt while Dr. Mario would be another character due to his unique properties and play style in Melee.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
They could, but Dr. Mario being a sort of unique character in Melee probably had more to do with him being a semi-clone in SSB4 since while Melee clones shared moves, they played very differently unlike the almost miniscule differences between Pit and Dark Pit or Lucina basically being a slightly shorter, female Marth with no tippers. If Dr. Mario never existed and this was his first time in SSB, then I could totally see him being an alt. Or if there was a Dr. Luigi, then he'd be an alt while Dr. Mario would be another character due to his unique properties and play style in Melee.
I guess that does make sense, still, I personally believe him and Dark Pit should of remained costumes. Though Dark Pit bothers me a lot more than Dr.Mario, if Sakuari found it weird for Pitto using the Three Sacred Treasures, then what made the Koopalings turning into Shadow Mario or Alph driving Olimar's ship make sense?

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I guess that does make sense, still, I personally believe him and Dark Pit should of remained costumes. Though Dark Pit bothers me a lot more than Dr.Mario, if Sakuari found it weird for Pitto using the Three Sacred Treasures, then what made the Koopalings turning into Shadow Mario or Alph driving Olimar's ship make sense?
Yeah, logic and games, especially Nintendo games don't go well with each other. :laugh:

I've ranted about how Zero Suit Samus's Side Smash and Dash Attack from a martial artist's view point as deadly to her spine and neck.

Anyway, I believe and wished that Dark Pit used the other weapons from Uprising. In Uprising, he had "canon" weapons that included his staff and Silver Bow, but he was made a clone. Now, assuming budgets, time constraints, and such, Dark Pit was an alt, but he could have became a unique character. I mean, out of the clones, he and Dr. Mario have unique moves whereas Lucina does not. I also believe that Lucina should have been given a unique moveset or made into a semi-clone rather than a tipper-less Marth. That or not even include her at all. Why? Some people who play SSB don't delve into or care about where the characters come from.

Some people play only the top tiers and throw them away. Some play characters because they like them and their series. Well, this causes an issue where say, someone likes Diddy and Donkey Kong Country, but because of Diddy's current reputation, get's ragged on. Others love the character of Dark Pit, but get ragged on for supporting clones, Sakurai bias, etc.

The uninformed will usually come to conclusions that are wild and hurtful. Even a website dedicated to Nintendo said that Wolf and Falco should have never been in Smash because they're just clones of Fox. Here's the thing, Falco became a semi-clone in Brawl and even more different to Fox in SSB4. At this point, Falco is sort of like the Ken of the Ryu-Ken fighters from Street Fighter or the Luigi of the Mario Bros in SSB. Wolf was more like the Iori to the Kyo-Iori dynamic in The King of Fighters where they share some, maybe altered moves like Specials, but their neutrals like Smashes, aerials, and tilts are different.

Almost every game has cut content, proposed content, and suffers from time mismanagement, budget issues, and etc. SSB since the beginning has been like this and the fanbase can be really, really vocal about it. But we have to make compromises sometimes and we can't please everyone nor can we have everything - that's just not how life works.

Last edited:

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
I've heard a lot of people say that Sakurai personally oversees all character development. The way I see it, if he's nitpicky on keeping characters separate once they work differently mechanics-wise, then perhaps the idea of clone characters having returned isn't very far fetched after all. Whatever that might suggest, I suppose.

This quote looks a little weird to me:
Sakurai said:
Having everything be totally fair would boost the competitive aspect, but ruins the chance of it no longer being about playing a game. Mediocrity would be the worst thing for us.
I still find the last sentence a bit odd, but I do think I'm seeing what Sakurai may be saying.
The first thing someone might naturally consider is character balance, and while that's a core part of game balance in Smash Bros... well, the games have other things. Like items, stages, and now in the newest ones, Mii Fighters, custom specials and equipment. It's a given that the competitive community will automatically ban some stages as well as all items for rulesets- there's been ongoing discussions on what to allow in tournaments regarding custom stuff, after all. And I'm not saying that any of that's wrong. But I think this might be what Sakurai is suggesting here. If turning items off and limiting the stage list to certain ones is to the player, then leaving those items and stages completely out of the game in the first place would be to the developer.

I'm not actually too sure what I'm arguing here, but... these are just my own thoughts. Sakurai, from what I understand, likes to create games that both appeal to a wide range of gamers and are stuffed with content. I think he's tried to do that with Smash Bros. (specifically the new ones in this context), and in my opinion, he (and his team) succeeded.

Tails1000

Smash Cadet
What I don't understand, isn't dark pit perfectly capable of using the 3 sacred treasures himself? There's nothing in Uprising that says pit is the only one who can use them... in fact, Palutena hid them in the constellations to avoid having them fall in the wrong hands. If dark pit pulled them out for his final smash I don't think anyone would complain, just how no one really complains about the koopalings Turning into shadow mario :p

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
What I don't understand, isn't dark pit perfectly capable of using the 3 sacred treasures himself? There's nothing in Uprising that says pit is the only one who can use them... in fact, Palutena hide them in the constellations to avoid having them fall in the wrong hands. If dark pit pulled them out for his final smash I don't think anyone would complain, just how no one really complains about the koopalings Turning into shadow mario :p
I think so, but I'm not sure since I never played it, but I watched Chuggaaconroy's LP of it. I think it's more of like a Pit thing like how it's more of Luigi's thing to have a higher jump and is slippery which gives them more definition. The Koopalings using Shadow Mario thing is ridiculous, though.

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368
Everything might have been a purchaseable story, until the release of Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings.

I've ranted about how Zero Suit Samus's Side Smash and Dash Attack from a martial artist's view point as deadly to her spine and neck.
Come now. She rolls herself into a ball. I don't think normal physiqs applies to her.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Come now. She rolls herself into a ball. I don't think normal physiqs applies to her.
They say she turns into energy while she's in ball form. So you can say she's like a reactor on a roll. But yeah, it's hard to apply normal human limits to flexibility on a super human, much less anything Nintendo related. She can probably twist herself in several ways and still do something powerful.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The Koopalings using Shadow Mario thing is ridiculous, though.
I like to think that since Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings are in league with each other, it could be some sort of borrowed move, as in, Bowser Jr. lends the disguise to them.

Fan interpretations aside, it's more due to feasibility. Separating the 7 Koopalings to give each a Final Smash probably wouldn't be a wise idea.

Plus, keep in mind that Dark Pit's Staff move is just a reskin of Zelda's Light Arrow, so it was a very easy and convenient addition.

What I don't understand, isn't dark pit perfectly capable of using the 3 sacred treasures himself? There's nothing in Uprising that says pit is the only one who can use them... in fact, Palutena hid them in the constellations to avoid having them fall in the wrong hands. If dark pit pulled them out for his final smash I don't think anyone would complain, just how no one really complains about the koopalings Turning into shadow mario :p
Nothing says in KIU that Dark Pit can't use the Three Sacred Treasures. In fact, the opposite is implied since it's stated that Dark Pit's abilities are identical to Pit.

Yeah, logic and games, especially Nintendo games don't go well with each other. :laugh:

Anime also has plenty of very unrealistic stuff. The common denominator: Japan. Screw logic. Awesomeness and over-the-top stuff trump all over it. :p

Anyway, I believe and wished that Dark Pit used the other weapons from Uprising. In Uprising, he had "canon" weapons that included his staff and Silver Bow, but he was made a clone. Now, assuming budgets, time constraints, and such, Dark Pit was an alt, but he could have became a unique character. I mean, out of the clones, he and Dr. Mario have unique moves whereas Lucina does not. I also believe that Lucina should have been given a unique moveset or made into a semi-clone rather than a tipper-less Marth. That or not even include her at all. Why? Some people who play SSB don't delve into or care about where the characters come from.
Clones weren't planned at all. They were just costumes who got some quirks, thus gaining a slot since they were no longer aesthetic changes.

And Dark Pit uses both Silver Bow and Dark Pit Staff in Smash. He may be the cloniest clone of Smash history, but his moveset is 100% canon. Anything he does in Smash, he can do in KIU.

Dark Pit getting the Staff FS is for the same reason why Dr. Mario doesn't use Fireballs: Sakurai being nitpicky.

Some people play only the top tiers and throw them away. Some play characters because they like them and their series. Well, this causes an issue where say, someone likes Diddy and Donkey Kong Country, but because of Diddy's current reputation, get's ragged on. Others love the character of Dark Pit, but get ragged on for supporting clones, Sakurai bias, etc.
I like Dark Pit because I liked him in Uprising and therefore give no ****s about him being a clone. :p

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yeah, I'm calling bull**** on the Dark Pit and Dr. Mario thing. Project M made Dr. Mario an alt, changing the fireballs to vitamins and everything (though their effect in combat remains the same). There is no reason a professional, paid dev team can't do that when a few hobbyists can do it fine, even though the latter lacks the ability to build the game engine and it's components from the ground up.

As for Dark Pit and the Three Sacred Treasures being a problem - Dark Pit is, and I quote, "evenly matched" to Pit. In terms of abilities, they are the same person in the context of Uprising. Dark Pit can literally do anything Pit can. Dark Pit never uses the Three Sacred Treasures in Uprising, but it was never stated he can't. We were given a reason to believe he can, though.

In other words, Dark Pit using the Three Sacred Treasures makes much more canon sense than the Koopalings using BJ's paintbrush and turning into Shadow Mario.

Honestly I don't mind Dark Pit being in the game, I really like him as a character - but my hope was that he would not be a clone of Pit in the context of gameplay. Sakurai mentions how he uses different weapons, but I wanted that to mean he uses a totally different playstyle too.

But it doesn't matter now though, what's done is done.

Now PLEEEASE talk about Rosalina & Luma one of these days, Sakurai. They are literally the only character you have not talked about in interviews. :(

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
If Dark Pit gets to be his own separate character because he "can't use the Sacred Treasures," then what the hell's up with Alph driving Olimar's ship and the Koopalings turning into Shadow Mario? If continuity is suddenly an issue when it comes to Smash movesets, you might as well add a "new" character for each of Kirby's copy abilities and Mega Man's special weapons (Final Cutter, Stone, Metal Blade, Crash Bomber, etc). Hell, why stop there, let's add Fire Luigi in as a clone of Luigi. After all, Luigi can only shoot fireballs when he has the Fire Flower!
No offense intended towards any Dark Pit mains out there, but if Sakurai's only justification for making an alt costume into a separate character is that "he can't use that move, he needs to have this move instead!", then that character should stay as an alt costume. Besides I'm sure nobody would complain if Dark Pit used the Sacred Treasures instead of his staff anyway.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Yeah, I'm calling bull**** on the Dark Pit and Dr. Mario thing. Project M made Dr. Mario an alt, changing the fireballs to vitamins and everything (though their effect in combat remains the same). There is no reason a professional, paid dev team can't do that when a few hobbyists can do it fine, even though the latter lacks the ability to build the game engine and it's components from the ground up.

As for Dark Pit and the Three Sacred Treasures being a problem - Dark Pit is, and I quote, "evenly matched" to Pit. In terms of abilities, they are the same person in the context of Uprising. Dark Pit can literally do anything Pit can. Dark Pit never uses the Three Sacred Treasures in Uprising, but it was never stated he can't. We were given a reason to believe he can, though.

In other words, Dark Pit using the Three Sacred Treasures makes much more canon sense than the Koopalings using BJ's paintbrush and turning into Shadow Mario.

Honestly I don't mind Dark Pit being in the game, I really like him as a character - but my hope was that he would not be a clone of Pit in the context of gameplay. Sakurai mentions how he uses different weapons, but I wanted that to mean he uses a totally different playstyle too.

But it doesn't matter now though, what's done is done.

Now PLEEEASE talk about Rosalina & Luma one of these days, Sakurai. They are literally the only character you have not talked about in interviews. :(
Have you ever made a game? :smirk:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You have? Noice.
What is it?
Not a publicly released game, just a college project.

It was a small Sonic fan game, though I just had a test map done. I also had a few other projects last year that I messed around with.

Regardless, I understand how game development works, and I don't even need to in this case, as the problem with the response Sakurai gave is not related to game development theory. It's simply a contradiction.

This is really just a case of Sakurai telling us too much. Most people had accepted Dark Pit since the 3DS game released, but Sakurai's statement is just adding fuel to a fire that was already put out.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Sakurai explicitly stated he didn't want to give costumes different attributes, so Mario and Dr. Mario's fighter statistics would be counted separately.

Putting a clone character under an alt color status is basically the same thing as putting the clone as a separate fighter. The only thing that changes is how the character is accessed.

Plus, there's the BIG difference in Mario and Dr. Mario having two different moves (down special and down aerial). Mario has FLUDD and Dr. Mario has the Tornado, which makes them quite different. The Megavitamins have different proprieties as well. Dr. Mario is also slower and stronger than regular Mario.

Costumes are meant to be aesthetic, so if a minimal change is done to a costume, they get a separate slot. Even if it's just a tipper mechanic removed (Lucina) or a small bunch of moves changed (Dark Pit). It's a game design choice like any other. Whether it's good or bad, it's highly subjective, but it has logic considering the game saves fighter records for every single character, so the changes have to be properly categorized.

Also, the interview gives me a vibe that those characters were accidental. Sakurai was rather explicit when he said they didn't want to make this sort of character. They were just tweaking around the existing characters and came up with those easy-to-implement variations at the last minute. I mean, Dark Pit has a different Final Smash and all, but it's just a reskin of Zelda's Light Arrow, so it's not that unique. It's just copied from a different character rather than his counterpart.

Dr. Mario, Lucina and Dark Pit could have remained as a costume swaps. In fact, they were originally planned and designed as such, but things happened during development and they designed some extra attributes to them. No harm done to the overall game, I'd say.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Sakurai explicitly stated he didn't want to give costumes different attributes
I know, and that's what I'm getting at - there was no special reason why it had to be done with the three clones we did get, is what I mean.

Like I said, in Project M, Dr. Mario was a costume change. Along with changing his outfit, he had his fireballs changed to pills, and had his fire effects on his moves changed to electricity, such as with the Side Smash. Functionally, though, he was the exact same as playing as Mario in his regular costume. All of these changes the Dr. Mario alt brought did not effect gameplay.

What I'm saying, is that there is no reason Sakurai could not have done this. Again, this is another case of Sakurai trying way too hard to justify his decisions - if he had just said "we had a bit of extra dev time, so we took a few characters who were going to just be skins, picked the most popular three, and made them their own character slot with slightly different attributes", there would be much less to argue with. But saying "we didn't want Dark Pit using the Three Sacred Treasures because it doesn't feel right", and then letting Alph and the Koopalings use totally nonsensical Final Smashes for their character and background, is just blatantly contradictory, especially since Dark Pit using the Three Sacred Treasures poses no character portrayal problems to begin with.

The changes they make to these clone's attributes are mostly an after thought - it's really just roster padding. And Sakurai doesn't need to try cover that up.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Dark Pit using the Three Sacred Treasures makes no sense, but Ridley joining the side of whoever so much as punches him does. Sure Sakurai, sure.

Heck, even within Dark Pit's own moveset there's canonical problems. For example, the Silver Bow he uses fires arrows for the Darkness Bow. Also the Electroshock Arm is weird. Why not a weapon he actually used during Uprising's story? I normally would not care for such oversights, but Sakurai clearly went out of his way to point out why it wouldn't make sense for Dark Pit to use something he didn't in Uprising. The utter hypocrisy...

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Dark Pit using the Three Sacred Treasures makes no sense, but Ridley joining the side of whoever so much as punches him does. Sure Sakurai, sure.

Heck, even within Dark Pit's own moveset there's canonical problems. For example, the Silver Bow he uses fires arrows for the Darkness Bow. Also the Electroshock Arm is weird. Why not a weapon he actually used during Uprising's story? I normally would not care for such oversights, but Sakurai clearly went out of his way to point out why it wouldn't make sense for Dark Pit to use something he didn't in Uprising. The utter hypocrisy...
Also the Electroshock Arm is weird. Why not a weapon he actually used during Uprising's story?
I thought this as well, but when Sakurai said that one of the designers had already had the electro shock arm there, I was like "Eh, thats alright..."

Last edited:

Tails1000

Smash Cadet
I have a feeling that the electroshock arm was originally a custom move for Pit (And dark pit at the time) early in development. Then when they decided to split the two up, Pit got the upperdash while dark pit got the electroshock.

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
I gotta say im suprised you Guys and gals were fine with just the picture of the article.XD Was expecting comments poking at my laziness XD Which i would deserve.

Wish i could fully understand or join in on the discussion but i never played Kid Icarus Uprising. But from where stand(understand) sakurai did this for 'cannon' purposes yet overlooked Bowser jr-koopalings-ViolentMarioXD

So it makes sense to me that this was fair, clear favoritism on behalf of Sakurai and his game. zwhich is understandable,really.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
So he's basically reworded his "accurate portrayals" rubbish and put in some double standards.
I could be here a long time going on about why that's a load of rubbish. So I'll sum it up with 3 things:
- Falcondorf
- Ridley becoming your slave after hitting him a few times
- Gaur Plain stage in general (I've nitpicked the living hell out of that stage)

And yet you had issues with Pittoo using the 3 Sacred Treasures?
I'm finding it harder and harder to even respect Sakurai or his decisions anymore. He can make great games but his attitude (Have you made a game?) and decisions (Trash Tour, "Accurate Portrayals" etc.) leave a lot to be desired.

As for returning stages.
75M. That is all.

MezzoMe

Smash Ace

It looked like he was trying to say that balance can only come to a certain point until characters' uniqueness doesn't get hurt by it.

Vaidya

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received

Nitpicky? Are you kidding me? I would've done the exact same thing. You really want Dr. Mario not using pills, and you want DP to have a FS not related to him? What's wrong with you? I hate how Alph uses the Hocotate Rocket in his FS, just imagine how much worse it could've been.

This game is about representing Nintendo characters. Sorry for all you try hard fighting gamers out there, but Nintendo representation comes first. Cry if you really need to.

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368
Sakurai designed Super Smash Bros. series.
Introduced clones in Melee.
Designed Kid Icarus Uprising.
Introduced Dark Pit. Straight from a mirror. Clone. Mirror clone.
Reintroduces clones in Sm4sh.

I think I can assume that Sakurai has a thing for clones.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Nitpicky? Are you kidding me? I would've done the exact same thing. You really want Dr. Mario not using pills, and you want DP to have a FS not related to him? What's wrong with you? I hate how Alph uses the Hocotate Rocket in his FS, just imagine how much worse it could've been.

This game is about representing Nintendo characters. Sorry for all you try hard fighting gamers out there, but Nintendo representation comes first. Cry if you really need to.
I never implied I wanted Dr. Mario to not have pills or Dark Pit not using the staff.

I was just commenting on how Sakurai went on using spare time to make those characters more distinct, even though it went against his original plan to include clone characters. I was commenting on how game development is unpredictable.

No need to be rude about it.

Top Bottom