• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SA] SXC2K16 - SA Fighting Game Major feat. SSBM & SSB for Wii U - $1k Pot Bonus!

Kaiza

Smash Journeyman

Smash @ SXC2K16 (Southern Cross Championships)
Hosted by SAFGC & SA Smash
http://safgc.org/ (Make sure to put your gamertag & teams partner in the "Notes" section)
From the Facebook Event Page - https://www.facebook.com/events/1721569638060584/
Southern Cross Championship returns to The University of Adelaide in 2016.

The Fourth Year of the SAFGC's ongoing annual Fighting Game Major takes place on December 2 - 4, this time occupying two floors of The University of Adelaide.

In 2016, SXC will be in Rumours Cafe & the Adelaide Uni Bar.

This year, SXC will be welcoming a host of new titles to be competed in along with our returning focus on competitive fighting games, big & small.

Main Card Titles & Dedicated Tournaments are to be announced soon, stay tuned.

Tell your friends & family, SXC2K16 will be something to remember.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

We will be releasing information as readily available.

ANNOUNCED: $1000 POT BONUS FOR SSBM & SSB FOR WII U

SCHEDULE:
SATURDAY:

SUNDAY:

Event Date:
2 - 4 December (+ EVAC ON THE 2nd & SAFGC MEET ON THE 1st)

Set to be Rumours Cafe & UniBar @ University of Adelaide

Confirmed Events:
Singles:
- Melee
- Smash 4​
Doubles:
- Melee
- Smash 4​

RULESETS:
Global Rules:
All items set to OFF and appearance rate set to NONE.
Extending an infinite/lock/freeze past 250% is considered stalling and is banned.
Coaching between games in a set is banned, you may coach before and after a set is underway.
Suicide Moves and Sudden Death: The winner of each game is determined by the results screen in all cases, except when the players are presented with sudden death. When the players are presented with sudden death, the results screen is ignored and the following rules are used to determine the winner:
In the case that the game timer expired, the winner is the player/team with the highest stock count & lowest damage percentage (combined stocks & damage percentage in doubles).
In the case that players died on the same frame without the game timer expiring (regardless of whether or not a suicide move was involved, with one exception below), or in the case that players/teams had equal combined damage percentages when the timer expired, a tiebreaker game will be played to determine the winner. The tiebreaker game is played on the same stage with the same characters, with the stock count set to 1 and the stock timer set to 3 minutes. The winner of the tiebreaker game is determined in the same way the winner of a normal game is determined (in extremely rare cases this will result in an additional tiebreaker game being played).
Each player/team may use a suicide move to force sudden death once within each game and any tiebreakers linked to that original game. If a player/team uses a suicide move to force sudden death during a tiebreaker game after having already done so during the original game or in any of the tiebreakers linked to the one being decided, that player/team forfeits that game instead of playing an additional tiebreaker game.

You may use a Wii U Pro Controller ONLY WITH A DIRECT CABLE CONNECTION AND NO BATTERIES.
3DS' ARE ALLOWED due to being quick and simple to sync/unsync.
This does not affect the use of Wii Remote combinations - but PLEASE BE RESPONSIBLE. Take out batteries from the remote whenever not in use and make sure to not accidentally sync to other consoles you don't intend to play on.

Melee
STAGE LIST:
Starter:
Battlefield | Final Destination | Yoshi's Story | Dreamland N64 | Fountain of Dreams

Counterpick:
Pokemon Stadium

1 Stage ban in Bo3, none in Bo5

GAME SETTINGS:
Stocks: 4
Time Limit: 8 Minutes
Handicap: OFF
Pause: OFF at the request of each player (recommended)

SURGICAL RULINGS:
Wobbling is legal.
Dave's Stupid Rule (DSR): Neither player may select a stage that they have won on previously in the set unless the opponent explicitly agrees to it.

SET PROCEDURE:
1. Players will Rock-Paper-Scissors for port priority or first ban.
2. Both players choose their characters for the first game. A double-blind pick may be requested by either player.
3. Players strike stages from the Starter Stage List in a P1-P2-P2-P1 order and the match will be played on the remaining stage.
4. The winner of the previous game bans 1 stage the opponent can not pick in the next game. (Does not apply during Bo5 sets)
5. The loser of the previous game chooses a stage from the Starter or Counterpick Stage List.
6. The winner of the previous game chooses their character.
7. The loser of the previous game chooses their character.
8. Steps 5-7 are repeated as necessary.
Smash for Wii U
STAGE LIST:
STAGE LIST:
Starter:
Battlefield/Miiverse | Final Destination/Omega Stages | Smashville | Town and City | Dreamland 64 | Lylat Cruise | Duck Hunt

1 Stage ban in Bo3, 0 in Bo5

* Battlefield and Miiverse are interchangeable after game 1 and may be picked. If one stage is ever banned, so is the other one.
** Final Destination and all Omega Stages are interchangeable after game 1 and may be picked. If one stage is ever banned, Final Destination and all Omega Stages together will be banned.

GAME SETTINGS:
Stocks: 2 (3 for doubles)
Time Limit: 6 Minutes (9 for doubles)
Customization off, equipment and badges are banned
Friendly Fire: On
Pause: OFF at the request of each player (recommended)
Customisations: Off
Handicap: Off
Launch Rate: 1.0
Default Size Mii Fighters are allowed (All movesets allowed, as the game does not consider them "Custom" moves and also are balanced frequently). All Mii fighters must be made using Guest Miis only.
During character selection however, you cannot swap to a new moveset once your character and moveset has already been chosen for that round, for example:
  • Game 2, Mii player had to pick their character first after winning game 1, and after the opponent picks their character the Mii player decides to change their moveset.
THIS IS NOT ALLOWED. A moveset is considered a character and as such, you cannot change character in situations outlined in the set procedure.

SURGICAL RULINGS:

Modified Dave's Stupid Rule (DSR): A player may not select the last stage that they have won on previously in the set unless the opponent explicitly agrees to it. Out of the stages a player has won on, they may choose a stage excluding their most recent stage won on.
Colour Clause: For doubles matches, players must match the colour of their character with their team colour when requested by any other player. Players should also do their best to adhere to any other colour requests made by other players (especially colour blind players) for the benefit of visibility.

SET PROCEDURE:

1. Players will Rock-Paper-Scissors for port priority or first ban and will stay in those ports for the set
2. Both players choose their characters for the first game. A double-blind pick may be requested by either player.
3. Players strike stages from the Starter Stage List in the following order:
- P1 bans 2 stages
- P2 bans 3 stages
- P1 bans 1 stage and the match will be played on the remaining stage.
4. The winner of the previous game bans 1 stages the opponent can not pick in the next game. (0 bans in bo5 sets)
5. The loser of the previous game chooses a stage from the Starter or Counterpick Stage List.
6. The winner of the previous game chooses their character.
7. The loser of the previous game chooses their character.
8. Steps 5-7 are repeated as necessary.

I'll be updating this thread with more info as it comes but for now, talk **** here, call ppl out, ask for accomodation etc.
You can post in the SA Smash FB group if you're looking for a place to stay and one of our many players should be able to host you for the weekend.

LOOKING FOR HOUSING:
Thriles & Maca (QLD) - Melee

OFFERING HOUSING:
Muscat - Melee

South Australian Fighting Game Community:
https://www.facebook.com/SouthAustralianFightingGameCommunity?fref=photo

Facebook Event Page:
https://www.facebook.com/events/922092641163432/

SA Smash Bros. Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SaSmash/

SA Melee Power Ranking August 2016:
https://smashboards.com/threads/melee-state-power-rankings.334883/page-3#post-21401619

SA Smash 4 Power Ranking August 2016:
https://smashboards.com/threads/smash-wiiu-regional-power-rankings.418500/page-2#post-21401624

SA Smash TV:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SASmashTV

Our Stream:
http://www.twitch.tv/kaizmo

Last edited:

BlazikenGod

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheBlazikenGod
3DS FC
4270-2333-8179
I'm interested in attending but can't afford hotel or motel so i need housing from a kind and gracious soul.

Double_A

Smash Rookie
I thought that "0 bans in Bo5" was only supposed to be run with DSR, not Modified DSR.

Kaiza

Smash Journeyman
I will be updating the OP with people searching for housing so if you need a place to stay please post here and/or in the SA Smash group! Please list what game you play as that might be helpful for hosts
Also if anyone has a place to offer people I will add them to the OP to match with other the people with how many spots you have available

Last edited:

RyanMaca

Smash Rookie
Hey guys,
Anyone keen to host a peach (Maca/Me) and falcon player (Thriles) from Qld for SXC (Fri/Sat). Will have a car so can drive to the event.
Message me or let me know in here. Thanks

Game: Melee

Deeks

Smash Rookie
Can someone please house me, Skelorex, Saucy, Reef and Cailan from thursday night to monday morning?

We aren't picky about sleeping arrangements at all.

Only need housing for three of us now

Kaiza

Smash Journeyman
~Hello gamers~
With SXC2K16 just under 3 weeks away, I'd like to initiate a call for volunteer commentators!
If you would like to commentate at any point at the event, please send an email to kaiza@live.com.au using the following template:

Subject line: SXC2K16 - Commentator Application - <your tag here>

Name:
Gamertag/Alias:
Facebook Account (If different from name):
Twitter (optional):
Region:
Preferred Commentary Game (S4 or SSBM):
Brief detail of your experience (what tourneys you've commentated etc.):
What part of the bracket you're comfortable with commentating (Pools, Bracket, Top 8):
Commentary Examples or Highlight Reel (Timestamped Youtube links preferred):

Anybody not applying via email with this template will not be considered for the role unless you have spoken to me directly otherwise.
Applications close on 27/11/16 (same time as event registration)
Thank you in advance!
SB Thread:
https://smashboards.com/threads/sa-...-feat-ssbm-ssb-for-wii-u-1k-pot-bonus.442341/
FB Event page:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1721569638060584/

Last edited:

Kaiza

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone, now that the event is over, I'd firstly like to thank everyone for travelling to Adelaide for our 2nd real go at a major event. There's a lot of things i'd like to go over in this post so I'll try to keep it as concise as possible. There were many things that went wrong but also many things that I felt went over well so I'll be going over all of those things now for the sake of transparency before people decide to throw words around about things we're already aware of.
So lets work through the bad bits in chronological order starting with:

Pools not being released until 2:30am Fri
In the week leading up to the event I had begun setting many things in to motion, getting smash.gg approval, rounding up people for commentary and seeding for both games to make sure all the relevant people could be very prepared for their roles on the days leading up to the weekend and on the day itself. We had planned on releasing the pools on Tuesday 29th Nov or Wednesday 30th Nov however our main event co-ordinator was having difficulty retrieving the full player list for all games from the registration site we were using (which was not smash.gg despite my early pleas when organising the event this year).
Had we used smash.gg to begin with this would not have happened. By the time we were able to receive ONLY THE SINGLES player list from an earlier site backup it was 5pm on Thursday 1 Dec, whilst I and others were in the midst of transporting equipment and setting up the event. While we got most of the pool seeds 1-4 down that night, we didn't finalise those until later on Friday. At this point we still hadn't received access to smash.gg until 11pm-12am on Friday night. This led to many of us haphazardly inputting player info and pool seeds as fast as we could and eventually publishing at 2:30am.
I wasn't happy about this.
None of my staff were happy about this.
None of the players were happy about this.
We were all aware of this fact.
The scrappyness of these events led to some players being put into pools where they were set to play same state people in first round and in some cases due to using an earlier backed up player list, not entered into any pools.
We tried to remedy many of these issues the morning of the event to varying degrees of success but not all were satisfactory and the event still needed to go on. While I can personally apologise for this happening, it was largely out of my and other TOs control. Additionally, there were situations where people were shuffled from one wave of pools to another, and while nobody was DQd after them rushing back to the venue after finding out they pool time had been swapped, this was a huge mistake and could have easily been avoided by trying to shuffle them within the same wave and we take full responsibility for this.

Wii U doubles issues
While we managed to get the singles player list a few days before, I could only manage to retrieve the doubles list on the day of the event while I was streaming. This list had about half of people paired with their appropriate partner because they didn't specify in the notes section of signup (we did ask for this along with your tag) so we asked for people to come up individually to make sure we had their doubles partner down (Which not everyone did). Additionally, because we were using an earlier backup there were some teams such as ones that may have signed up at the venue on Friday they were missed in player entry. Ultimately we had to restart the doubles bracket while many people were already well into their first round matches. There were big delays after having to re-seed the bracket twice (the 2nd time was because smash.gg didn't save any changes to the seeding we made). Huge thanks to Invisi and Duon for being huge helps in this department and my TOs for having the humility to seek help when they were out of their depth. These events taking place led to the day being delayed an hour which brings me to the next point:

Scheduling & stream time
Had everything run perfectly, the schedule would have been satisfactory for the event we were aiming to run - this didn't happen. First things first, I made the ambitious decision to have Top 4 doubles for both games streamed on Sunday as they wouldn't be receiving any stream time at other points in the event (if we wanted doubles stream time, we would have to have a 2nd stream and this would actually solve almost all scheduling issues). This meant that to accommodate for this we had to run Top 32 to 16 on Saturday to allow us to get to Top 8 soundly on Sunday. Because of the delays mentioned earlier, people were forced to stay a little later than they might've been comfortable with for 1-3 sets total. Additionally I had planned to make Top 8 Introduction videos for both games and I made the Sunday schedule to allow time after top 8 was decided to render the video filled with all the top 8 player's info during time top 8 wasn't being played. These plans fell through, so there appeared to be no real justification for doing top 16 to 8 first and doubles after, especially after keeping people late the night before (which along with the weather causing public transport to run late, made some of my TOs arrive later than expected).

To combat the delays, I could have cut down on the problem event (Wii U singles) stream time in order to speed up the event. But I made the decision to still allow the same amount of stream games for Wii U singles and instead cut back on Melee stream games. Either of these options had drawbacks, and I chose to prioritise stream games over player wellbeing which at the time I thought people were feeling still ready to play and not worn out by the event which I came to realise was not the case.

Now onto the parts that I thought went well
While Melee had the same problem for doubles of not having player list till the event started, all Melee events ran almost flawlessly.

In comparison to last year's SXC, this years actual running of brackets went 100x better and I have all the TOs especially for Wii U I trained up and last minute fillers to thank for this:
  • Lemons
  • Scraddles
  • Andre
  • Taco
  • Ghost
  • JonBombo
  • sans serif
  • Muscat
Also have to immensely thank anyone who helped with seeding adjustments, to my knowledge the big helpers were Invisi and Duon but I'm pretty sure there were others so excuse me if I don't remember you off the top of my head.

The stream was also a big improvement on last years which I worked long and hard to get to being A+ and so the viewer experience was a great success.

There were lots of setups so we could actually blast through brackets and give plenty of time for friendlies for everyone.
Us being on a different floor to FGC meant we had a lot more space than last year which was great considering the slightly warmer days we had (weather was a lot cooler than last year as well which was a plus)

Commentary for all games was very professional and well done and took well to any small notes I gave to improve it here and there (Except for melee top 8 which slowly needed to be whipped back into shape by me). Overall I'm really impressed by the effort people put into it. Apologies to anyone who applied but didn't receive any time on the mic (I think the only people I missed for comm time were Reef, Jonbombo & sans. - note: people have asked about Jash on comms, I didn't see his application until friday night because he didn't send me an email for it and instead sent it to me over facebook which landed in my "message requests" and so I didn't have time to screen and approve it for commentary. At an event with major sponsors being represented I needed people I can trust on commentary to be able to do a good job of that).

Closing thoughts
I can understand the animosity towards the issues that took place early on in the event, it's very true that first impressions are the most important and when we started off the way did, many people had already wrote off the event as a failure. Whether you continue to support us after this year is completely your choice, but all things considered objectively the event wasn't a total failure. It was a noticeable improvement from last year and if we continue this trend we can continue to improve. A good tournament series probably wasn't the 10/10 experience it is today without mistakes made in early renditions and so we will continue to learn and improve despite being a small scene.

Thank you all for your personal support and kind words ppl gave to me over the weekend, really kept me trying to make it all worth it for everyone. While it wasn't the best, we hope this hasn't turned you off entirely from coming to Adelaide again. If you have any feedback regarding this post, don't hesitate to bring them up now so we get better as we move forward.
Thank you all for coming to SXC2K16 this year, we hope to see you again for future events.

Last edited:

Dekar289

Smash Hero
despite how i make it look, running tournaments is not easy, so well done pisani
the major issue that stood out for me was interviewing 1st, 2nd and 4th place for wiiu singles, then waiting for a raffle when already well behind schedule, then, even though zxv hasn't entered a tournament outside nsw in years and billy somehow got 2nd with an injured thumb, no melee players were interviewed. also c$ should never commentate again

Kaiza

Smash Journeyman
despite how i make it look, running tournaments is not easy, so well done pisani
the major issue that stood out for me was interviewing 1st, 2nd and 4th place for wiiu singles, then waiting for a raffle when already well behind schedule, then, even though zxv hasn't entered a tournament outside nsw in years and billy somehow got 2nd with an injured thumb, no melee players were interviewed. also c$ should never commentate again
raffle got dropped on me last minute so i decided to keep giving the stream content instead of just cutting to a intermission screen
no melee interviews bc it was LATE and we wanted to party

Kaiza

Smash Journeyman
btw I publicly admit that tweeting about how i was pleased about the running of the bracket wasn't the best idea, but i was proud about how my TOs held up this year in comparison to last year (which was a mess)

Top Bottom