• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ryu's neutral game

Renegade TX2000

Smash Ace
The difference is hitbox coverage. Tdtilt covers a low hitbox, once the opponent is high enough he'll escape more easily that t utilt which covers a larger area. Pretty sure I'm not explaining myself properly.

Anyways, I have been hit by charizard mid tdtilts. At least hat much I know.

I see what your saying, but the proper way to DI Ryu's Dtilt is down and away which only gives us an option of following up with either tatsu "which is inconsistent" or shoryuken "before they get to far"

iLLEST

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iLLESTm3
I see what your saying, but the proper way to DI Ryu's Dtilt is down and away which only gives us an option of following up with either tatsu "which is inconsistent" or shoryuken "before they get to far"
Dtilt1 xx dtilt2 is true combo on some of the cast, i'm guessing mostly fast fallers and whatnot. As far as dtilt1 vs utilt1, i've had tremendous success with both. Dtilt1x2 will give you more time to hit confirm to seal a stock, than a single utilt, which happens at higher percents esp vs floaties. Also at low percent, dtilt1x3 xx srk is a simple 22% combo more reliable than dtilt1x2 xx dtilt2 xx tatsu. Mind your spacing though.

On another note.. the only use for ftilt1 i've found is walking while csticking it, it covers decently and lets me make small adjustments. Its kind of doo doo for me right now.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Not feeling st.forward (weak ftilt) at all. Easily my least used attack

Gregory2590

Smash Journeyman
NNID
phireblast
The only reason I use it is because I flubbed my collarbone breaker input by accident.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Matchup wise tink is extremely annoying hae to get throught th ebarrage to get killsand he's no sloutch in mobility either.

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
Matchup wise tink is extremely annoying hae to get throught th ebarrage to get killsand he's no sloutch in mobility either.
Our tatsu beats out projectiles, all of links. All we need is to read or react to his Arrows and boomerangs and we can get ~13 Damage. On top of that since we can deal more damage per hit then Link if we get the stock/Percent lead we can cancel his projectiles with Hadoken and force him to approach, unless he wants to make up a stock/percent lead with just projectiles. For his aerial we can SRK them, or strong U tilt. We can also Focus some of his attacks and land a lvl 2 Focus hit, mostly due to most of his attacks having long recovery periods.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
How can you say Ryu has no approach and cannot play aggressive? Im always in my opponents face and never backing down. Its only against the short stature fink-rats that i have problems because they just naturally avoid most of my attacks lol. Heck i Tatsumaki'd over a standing still pikachu...im like "waaa?"

His rolls are terrible, and i imagine thats a big reason people dont like him. I havnt seen another Ryu player since the 3-4th day of release...literally. Plenty of Roys, no Ryu or Lucus. People in this game are hellbent on rollspamming and it more often than not puts Ryu in a bad spot. I faced a Marth that forced me to break this habit because his rolls were able to not only overtake mine, but be far enough away where i couldnt jab or grab him.

Proper input Tatsumaki is a pretty fast attack and hits hard. Ive slammed many people with it trying to read my approach because they didnt think i was moving that fast. Theres also two ways you can approach with Focus Punch - either literally against people who cant attack twice rapidly, or a fakeout by doubletapping away then dashing in for a grab since i almost never have anyone actually try to attack me when i do that unless its Pikachu/Kirby.

Haduken is good for racking up damage at the end of a combo/preventing recovery. You can input the commands during the lag from another attack so you immediately throw the fireball afterwords (talking directional commands, hit the A button at the right time though). Especially at lower damage ive knocked people just far enough away to land right on top of a fireball. Free damage, sweet. And dont forget you can use it in the air to edgeguard people arriving from high up. Hitting someone like that with the fire haduken usually kills them either outright or because it threw them back far enough where they couldnt recover.

LittlePac

Smash Cadet
How can you say Ryu has no approach and cannot play aggressive? Im always in my opponents face and never backing down. Its only against the short stature fink-rats that i have problems because they just naturally avoid most of my attacks lol. Heck i Tatsumaki'd over a standing still pikachu...im like "waaa?"

His rolls are terrible, and i imagine thats a big reason people dont like him. I havnt seen another Ryu player since the 3-4th day of release...literally. Plenty of Roys, no Ryu or Lucus. People in this game are hellbent on rollspamming and it more often than not puts Ryu in a bad spot. I faced a Marth that forced me to break this habit because his rolls were able to not only overtake mine, but be far enough away where i couldnt jab or grab him.

Proper input Tatsumaki is a pretty fast attack and hits hard. Ive slammed many people with it trying to read my approach because they didnt think i was moving that fast. Theres also two ways you can approach with Focus Punch - either literally against people who cant attack twice rapidly, or a fakeout by doubletapping away then dashing in for a grab since i almost never have anyone actually try to attack me when i do that unless its Pikachu/Kirby.

Haduken is good for racking up damage at the end of a combo/preventing recovery. You can input the commands during the lag from another attack so you immediately throw the fireball afterwords (talking directional commands, hit the A button at the right time though). Especially at lower damage ive knocked people just far enough away to land right on top of a fireball. Free damage, sweet. And dont forget you can use it in the air to edgeguard people arriving from high up. Hitting someone like that with the fire haduken usually kills them either outright or because it threw them back far enough where they couldnt recover.
The focus attack is how I like to "approach" a lot as well. I toss out a lot of early Nairs to try to poke, spacing carefully to not get shield grabbed.. If I notice them adjusting, I mix up hadokens with approaching with a hop like I'm gonna Nair/Fair them, then I focus attack and have an almost infinite amount of options, depending on the character:

I can FADC away, and then determine the next option: a grab, or if they tried to attack, punish whatever they did. Or if they stayed put, start throwing more hadokens and neutral is reset.

FADC forward, landing behind them

don't FADC and absorb a hit and crumple them/break their shield. You need to be careful of multi attacks, but this type of approach/mixup has completely changed my game, and the mind games you can play with people really flusters them, I can get off some gnarly strings by messing around with AFADC.

Throwing out a lot of hadokens is really punishable against fast characters and super risky so I throw less of them and more FADC shenanigans.

Last edited:

LittlePac

Smash Cadet
Our tatsu beats out projectiles, all of links. All we need is to read or react to his Arrows and boomerangs and we can get ~13 Damage. On top of that since we can deal more damage per hit then Link if we get the stock/Percent lead we can cancel his projectiles with Hadoken and force him to approach, unless he wants to make up a stock/percent lead with just projectiles. For his aerial we can SRK them, or strong U tilt. We can also Focus some of his attacks and land a lvl 2 Focus hit, mostly due to most of his attacks having long recovery periods.
I don't think tatsu beats projectiles - only if they hit his foot. There are a lot of frames where his side is exposed where you can be struck by a projectile.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Tatsumaki definitely does not beat projectiles except in a specific sweetspot situation and on lowgrade projectiles. I tend to avoid that move if my opponent has projectiles he can spam because it NEVER gets through. Hes high enough up where most projectiles will hit his dangling foot, which is a clean and safe hitbox to counter him for some reason. Gaining ground against spammers like Link, Zelda, or Duck Hunt isnt easy, but its possible and usually once you get in you can lay in some serious damage. Fair is a crazy strong hit and until high damage you can usually sneak one in after a lot of combos.

I never spam Hadokens. The simple fact he cant shoot more than one makes that an invalid tactic, but i use it all the time for damage pokes, interrupts, or anti-recover. Though i did notice that even though he can use Hadoken twice before the first one goes away, and he doesnt fire another, if Villager pockets it he can still fire future Hadokens - it doesnt shut the tactic down entirely like Dedede's gordos being pocketed. Odd indeed. Not sure how it would affect his gameplay if they let him fire two, or increased the speed so he'd never have the chance to fire two.

The more i play Ryu the more i seriously wish i could convert my controls to a Dpad lol. I always had issues imputing commands like the uppercut or other commands requiring start/stop at an angle with a stick. Though with the way this game works, i dont think that'd be possible (how would you differ between a tilt and a smash with a dpad lol)

Last edited:

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
Tatsumaki definitely does not beat projectiles except in a specific sweetspot situation and on lowgrade projectiles. I tend to avoid that move if my opponent has projectiles he can spam because it NEVER gets through. Hes high enough up where most projectiles will hit his dangling foot, which is a clean and safe hitbox to counter him for some reason. Gaining ground against spammers like Link, Zelda, or Duck Hunt isnt easy, but its possible and usually once you get in you can lay in some serious damage. Fair is a crazy strong hit and until high damage you can usually sneak one in after a lot of combos.

I never spam Hadokens. The simple fact he cant shoot more than one makes that an invalid tactic, but i use it all the time for damage pokes, interrupts, or anti-recover. Though i did notice that even though he can use Hadoken twice before the first one goes away, and he doesnt fire another, if Villager pockets it he can still fire future Hadokens - it doesnt shut the tactic down entirely like Dedede's gordos being pocketed. Odd indeed. Not sure how it would affect his gameplay if they let him fire two, or increased the speed so he'd never have the chance to fire two.

The more i play Ryu the more i seriously wish i could convert my controls to a Dpad lol. I always had issues imputing commands like the uppercut or other commands requiring start/stop at an angle with a stick. Though with the way this game works, i dont think that'd be possible (how would you differ between a tilt and a smash with a dpad lol)
We have tested it. It beats out any physical move, such as the hammers that do 27 and 30 percent damage. For projectiles if it does 22% we can beat it.

For Hadokens it's designed to try and figure out how your opponent reacts. Mix up your hadoken speeds and S.hados and you can get some nice results.

You could. You'd need to modify the controller unless smash 4 lets us map directional inputs to D pad.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Oh i could definitely hotwire the controller inputs lol....im an electronics student and all that would be is moving wires around and doing some fancy soldering. Whether or not the game would register it properly since theres no sensitivity on a Dpad is a bigger question. Knowing my luck it would register it as tilts only lol fml

Hmm....im honestly tempted to rip a GC controller apart and check that out. Tempted....probably not going to try lol

Last edited:

LittlePac

Smash Cadet
Dude, unless I'm doing something way off, tatsu does not beat link's arrows. It does if you're in the right frame - but it's not 100%. I just tested this for 5 minutes myself because I thought I was going crazy. I was doing true tatsu's if that matters to your theory at all. He was consistently hitting me out of them with the arrow, more often than not.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
Dude, unless I'm doing something way off, tatsu does not beat link's arrows. It does if you're in the right frame - but it's not 100%. I just tested this for 5 minutes myself because I thought I was going crazy. I was doing true tatsu's if that matters to your theory at all. He was consistently hitting me out of them with the arrow, more often than not.

Well,from some testing I did a while back,the first and second spin of ryu's tatsu is able to clash effect with projectiles,like samus's stale charged shots for example.

Top Bottom