• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ryu (Street Fighter) in Super Smash Bros.

Blue Sun Studios

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueSunStudios
3DS FC
4768-8305-0092
Am I the only one who feels that Ryu from Street Fighter being in Super Smash Bros. is one of the greatest forms of irony? Ryu hails from the Street Fighter franchise, and the Street Fighter franchise is often cited as the be-all and end-all standard that the rest of the fighting game genre should aspire to. Super Smash Bros. was created with the intention of being a spiritual opposite of what Street Fighter stood (and still stands) for: an accessible fighting game that can be enjoyed by virtually any kind of person. Ryu's mere presence in Super Smash Bros. (this is if we consider Ryu actually being in the game) is something of an ironic statement for either Street Fighter or Super Smash Bros.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The irony is that Ryu would be more enjoyable to play with in Smash Bros than the game he calls home. But I see what you are saying.

Blue Sun Studios

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueSunStudios
3DS FC
4768-8305-0092
The irony is that Ryu would be more enjoyable to play with in Smash Bros than the game he calls home. But I see what you are saying.
I would say that that all boils down to individual perception. Some welcome him while others don't for various reasons.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Well personally, when Smash 4 was in the works, I did want the Capcom rep to be either Megaman or Ryu. When Megaman was unveiled, I was happy.

But now with Ryu possibly being in as a DLC character, this would make me equally as happy as when Megaman was unveiled.

Blue Sun Studios

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueSunStudios
3DS FC
4768-8305-0092
Well personally, when Smash 4 was in the works, I did want the Capcom rep to be either Megaman or Ryu. When Megaman was unveiled, I was happy.

But now with Ryu possibly being in as a DLC character, this would make me equally as happy as when Megaman was unveiled.
I was originally against the stance of Ryu being put in Super Smash Bros. on the grounds that his presence would bring unwanted attention to the franchise from some Street Fighter fans and unwanted conflict between the two franchises fandoms amongst other things. As far as I know too few of the Street Fighter fans like Super Smash Bros. because it's the opposite of what Street Fighter is, with them being fans of Street Fighter because of the complex gameplay system. I myself have nothing against the character but I was not too keen on Capcom's poster boy making it in Super Smash Bros. Nowadays I'm more or less neutral (same goes with Roy), but in the event that he makes it in Super Smash Bros. I'll give him a whirl.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I could care less about Ryu at this point. I'm just hoping for my boy to be in Smash 4.
I'm guessing that would be Roy isn't it?

Anyways, back on topic, I am a big fan of the Street Fighter series and if I had to be very honest, when I heard that Ryu was rumoured to be in Smash as DLC, you can say I was pretty surprised because I did not expect a second rep from the Capcom franchise. Either way, I still welcome his inclusion.

Last edited:

Dr.SMASHING

Smash Apprentice
NNID
coolSean
3DS FC
3110-4089-5828
Even though the evidence is very strong, I pray that Ryu isn't in Smash. He just wouldn't fit in IMO. However I would still try him though.

Blue Sun Studios

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueSunStudios
3DS FC
4768-8305-0092
The "evidence" is not enough for me to believe that Ryu and Roy are/were actually planned to be in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U, and no one other than Masahiro Sakurai and a possible handful of others know for certainty. For now I will just wait until we get some more news regarding this.

TerraCaty'

Smash Cadet
NNID
IndubitablyMe
3DS FC
1118-0357-0894
Honestly with Capcom's current state I wouldn't be surprised if he was added.
I'm just wondering how the transition will work.
Can't lie I'd love to bust a Shin Shoryu in Mario's face.

Octavium

''Fear doesn't stop death, it stops life.''
Your retina to your occipital lobe as you read.
Ryu is just a character though, he doesn't represent the entirety of street-fighter, I'm pretty sure if they add him in Smash Bros. hes going to look like his SF2/SF3 self to make him fit more, instead of the hulk he looks like right now.

Having him be in smash bros would be a big breath of fresh air, there's still many fans that like both smash and street fighter, and that would really bring those fans to play smash much more.

Blue Sun Studios

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueSunStudios
3DS FC
4768-8305-0092
He'd change the landscape for the game.
Elaborate on that.

Edit: Ryu's been confirmed along with Roy to debut in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS an Wii U as playable characters. Make of that what you will.

Last edited:
Top Bottom