• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ryu Grab Combos

KappaK

Smash Rookie
I recently picked using Ryu as I have noticed that his grabs don't really lead into any combos (or to the degree that grabs do with other characters like Mario or Sheik), especially at higher percents. Am I missing something?

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
I recently picked using Ryu as I have noticed that his grabs don't really lead into any combos (or to the degree that grabs do with other characters like Mario or Sheik), especially at higher percents. Am I missing something?
no.

WD40

Smash Apprentice
NNID
adamwd
No, but they do decent damage and give you control. Closest thing to a combo is down throw to fair at low percents.

MashPotato

Smash Cadet
NNID
StarForce1000
Down-throw -> up-tilt works on some fast fallers at 0%. After that you have to guess what they're going to do up until about 80%. Go for back throw after 80% for stage control and 13%. Up-throw starts killing around 160% with rage. Out of curiosity, when are you going for grabs?

Last edited:

KappaK

Smash Rookie
Down-throw -> up-tilt works on some fast fallers at 0%. After that you have to guess what they're going to do up until about 80%. Go for back throw after 80% for stage control and 13%. Up-throw starts killing around 160% with rage. Out of curiosity, when are you going for grabs?
I like to go for grabs midstage so I can get my opponent offstage with aerials or doing grabs out of shield to regain stage control.

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
The only person you can true combo with throws is Luma. Uthrow and dthrow both hurt luma and send her into tumble. So, if you hit luma with uthrow, you can follow it up with an attack like bair or dash attack. Luma can't airdodge or act when in tumble.

Last edited:

MashPotato

Smash Cadet
NNID
StarForce1000
I like to go for grabs midstage so I can get my opponent offstage with aerials or doing grabs out of shield to regain stage control.
Okay then. Just so you know up-tilting after dropping shield is only two frames slower than shield grabbing.

oc0267

Smash Rookie
At least at ground level, down throw kills earlier than up throw. And to add onto Disidisid, up throw is easier to land on luma, but down throw does launch her much further away

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Also, don't trust the Combo Meter in Training Mode.
There are a bunch of attacks that are garantueed after Dthrow at 0/low %'s, despite the meter saying it's not a combo.

For example, Air Dodging doesn't make you invincible at frame 1, so if Ryu hits you at that 1st frame, the meter says it's not a true combo, althought it's unavoidable.

MashPotato

Smash Cadet
NNID
StarForce1000
same for power shielding?
Power shielding actually makes it faster since the main reason you want to shield grab is to avoid the shield drop frames. Upon reviewing his frame data it's actually 4 frames slower rather then 2 (my b, thought grab was frame 7[it's 6] and up-tilt was frame 2[it's 3]). Upon perfect shielding though up-tilting is 3 frames faster then grabbing.

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
You can true combo off of Dthrow at high %s with a Rising Shory if they DI in - like when they fear a Fthrow near the ledge.
It can kill at the right %s.

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
You can true combo off of Dthrow at high %s with a Rising Shory if they DI in - like when they fear a Fthrow near the ledge.
It can kill at the right %s.
Was testing this and can confirm it is wrong.

Ryu has 0 true combinations out of any of his throws. You can combo F-Air off of D-Throw at 0-10% but other than reading air dodges, nothing works.

The thing is, Ryu is a character out of Street Fighter, his throws aren't meant to combo because that's not the point. His throws are designed for positioning and doing a ton of damage. At higher percent, B-Throw can do 18-20% with pummels which is absolutely massive but it also gives you great stage control.

F-Throw does 9% base damage and is also fantastic for stage control.

His D-Throw and U-Throw are MUCH better in a teams section or in FFAs due to their properties. D-Throw breaks shields instantly, which a lot of people don't know. It has 2 hits, much like Collarbone Breaker, with the second hit breaking somebody's shield. U-Throw is great because it positions your opponents above you to get juggled and it has a hitbox coming down.

I really don't understand why people have this want for every throw we have to combo because it is just not in Ryu's character archetype. Someone like :4sheik: is designed to combo because she's a freaking ninja. Her archetype is low-damage, low-knockback moves which Ryu just isn't like that.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero

Ryu has 0 true combinations out of any of his throws. You can combo F-Air off of D-Throw at 0-10% but other than reading air dodges, nothing works.

The thing is, Ryu is a character out of Street Fighter, his throws aren't meant to combo because that's not the point. His throws are designed for positioning and doing a ton of damage. At higher percent, B-Throw can do 18-20% with pummels which is absolutely massive but it also gives you great stage control.

His D-Throw and U-Throw are MUCH better in a teams section or in FFAs due to their properties. D-Throw breaks shields instantly, which a lot of people don't know. It has 2 hits, much like Collarbone Breaker, with the second hit breaking somebody's shield. U-Throw is great because it positions your opponents above you to get juggled and it has a hitbox coming down.

I really don't understand why people have this want for every throw we have to combo because it is just not in Ryu's character archetype. Someone like :4sheik: is designed to combo because she's a freaking ninja. Her archetype is low-damage, low-knockback moves which Ryu just isn't like that.
Dthrow > Shory / Rising Shory / DJ Rising Shory is definitely a combo.

Ryu has a handful of combos after Dthrow. It's just that they are very DI-dependant, and therefore not always garantueed.

WD40

Smash Apprentice
NNID
adamwd

Didn't know that the d-throw broke shields like that. Thanks for pointing that out.

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
Dthrow > Shory / Rising Shory / DJ Rising Shory is definitely a combo.

Ryu has a handful of combos after Dthrow. It's just that they are very DI-dependant, and therefore not always garantueed.
Like I said, he does have possible combinations out of his throws but it is only if your opponent has horrible DI and can't use their trigger to airdodge. The only thing that is worth talking about is mindgames with low-percent D-Throw combos where you can charge an F-Smash and bait your opponent into airdodging and doing around 27% straight away.

I didn't say that he has nothing off his throws, he simply has nothing that is guaranteed.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Ryu's throws are weight based, so lightweights are the most susceptible to Dthrow followups. Weak or Strong Utilt is viable on many characters at 0%. Uair and Fair can true combo on the lightest characters like Jiggly and Mewtwo from ~20-60%, but Ryu's poor jump height fails him past this point. Late hit of Shoryuken from the ground can also be counted on at 0-40% and on a larger variety of characters, but you really shouldn't stale such a reliable kill move.

I've seen worse grab games in terms of followups, but no, it's not comparable to the likes of Mario. You have better combo starters from jab, tilts, and Focus attack.

Edit: My mistake, non-input version of Shoryuken will not stale the input version, so use it all you like.

Last edited:
Top Bottom