• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy's tech skill

GodFed

Smash Apprentice
Here's a (sortof) serious question for the Roy board. Perhaps it is noobish, but I've sort of thought about it and can't come up with much.

I'm trying to second Roy, because of his fire, sword, and similarities to Marth (who I don't use btw, don't lecture me on how different they are) among other cool aspects of him.

Q:What tech skill would one need to use Roy? AKA - for Falco, you can waveshine, JC shine, ledgecancel phantasms, etc. as well as l-cancels and shtuff.
**What can Roy do? **

Legitimately, I can think of DED timing, wave*dash/land/dance*ing, and L-canceling. The rest of his game is mindgames and edgeguarding, to me.

Any thoughts?

(I don't expect a legitimate answer from perhaps 70% of you on this board judging from spam posts I see every day. I expect a legitimate answer from people who perhaps have an idea that is solid and concrete, and not of a spammish nature)

bahamutz69

Smash Journeyman
since roys tech skill is on the simpler side of things
work on FFing asap with his shffl, if u watch zhu's videos youll see hes actually alot fast than most falcos due to his FFing

edgecanceling i guess, for those nummy mindgames

sword dance rhythms

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
Roy doesn't have anything overly complicated all to himself, but he needs to use the basics if you want to get good.

1) Wavedash a lot. Roy has a good wavedash, and it can lead to fast Fsmashes, which by the way is the only good smash he has.
2) SHFFL. SHFFLing is extremely important, because Roy shoul almost always be on the ground and CCing. don't use your full jump more than once in a match. only SHFFL aerials.
3) L-cancel every aerial. Roy's aerials have a lot of lag, but L-cancelling it cuts that lag in half.
4) Tech at every time you can. otherwise you'll be comboed to death.
5) Crouch Cancel (CC). Roy's best setup is his Dtilt, and when CCed a lot it can almost make up for his sucky recovery.
6) dash dance and pivot
7) ledgehog
8) ledgeguard
9) ledgestall

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Also, don't forget your empty Short Hops. I see a lot of those when Neo and Sethlon play. Especially Neo. They tend to mindgame people quite a bit. Let's also not forget DD to WD. or even Dash forward WD backwards. Roy's Tech skill isn't exactly specific. It's really take a bunch of the basic stuff and mindgaming the crap out of your opponent. However, I would suggest being accurate. If you're not accurate, you're dead.

GodFed

Smash Apprentice
Thanks guys.. it seems that roy is so much more of a mindgame character than most others

@rain(ame):
I've seen those too, and I tried to do them every so often. I find that a clean, empty short hop takes too much time to get high enough to fastfall, so I air dodge down before he hits his peak for a faster "short hop".

Top Bottom