• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy Vs. Shiek/C.Falcon

seikuftw

Smash Rookie
I'm fairly new to the boards and even more new to playing roy as my main, yet my roomate. (Smooth criminal) Plays sheik another one of my friends plays captain falcon (as an off character, they main marth/falco) Now of all of the given characters ive noticed that my hardest match ups with roy are as follows

Captain Falcon
Falco
Shiek
Marth

Still playing around to see if any other characters really give me a hard time or not, but thats what ive noticed is this a commonly seen trend or is it just me?

spider_sense

Smash Champion
Pretty much for all these matches d-tilts will become your best friend. You do not want Falcon to grab you, instead use Roy's sword dance for baits followed by grabs into up-throws (most often a Falcon will try to retaliate with a d-air, which you can counter and destroy) When you get Falcon off the level; your only option to edge-guard is to neutral-B, so space accordingly.

Falco is mad difficult for me as well, but you can run under most of his lasers and go for up-throw chain-grabs into forward smashes, depending on the percent they'll go flying off the level, and most likely side-b back, in which case you can f-tilt or neutral-b. If they try to hit you with they're up-b simply counter it, and obliterated their stock.

Marth is difficult too, but he's not as hard as the others imo. Space him out with retreating f-airs and wavedash d-tilts, then when they pop into the air go for a neutral-a or b combo, to up-air. Grabs are top priority in this particular match-up as well. So make sure you d-throw and if they DI into you, go for the F-smash. For edgeguarding you're gonna have to be kinda careful, you can always surprise Marth while watching him you his side B, then running off and neutral-b him off. But sometimes it's just best to grab the legde or do the light shield Marth killer trick (hold z and then move the control stick in the direction you want to go)

Shiek is mad annoying but basically the Marth tactic I told you sorta works with her too. But given her weight distribution you're gonna have d-tilt and grab her as often as possible.

These are hard matches, but Marth and Falcon shouldn't be that hard. Just space and remember Roy's grabs are as good as Marth, and make sure to utilize his sword dance as often as possible. Good luck man. :)

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I wouldn't recommend uthrow against Falcon. Sorry to disagree with you, Spider Sense. Roy just doesn't have a powerful enough air game to justify throwing your opponent up when you could tech chase instead for much sweeter results. Fthrow and dthrow both work for tech chase follow ups, depending on percentages AND stage positioning. I actually use fthrow a lot, especially when the edge is a little in front of me, which eliminates the option to tech backwards.

Always ground ground ground game. That's Roy's strength. Dtilts > fair/uair > fsmash is good on Falcon and spacies. DED (Side-B: first three hits) *****. Fsmash mindgames are too good. Tech chase combos are so good. Basically everything that Roy does needs to be close to the ground. Plus Roy is just really vulnerable up in the air.

Sukai

Smash Champion
Chival hit it on the mark.
Sheik can become a pretty lethal threat, because in contrast to Roy, her air game is too good.
That being said, she'll try to get you into the air, which is anything but hard, just try to out-space her, send her off the stage, edge hog and edge guard to the best of your abilities, Sheik has a crap recovery with no air stall moves, she's wide open only then if no other time, Crouch Cancel her more so than you would any character.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
you need to learn how to punish them by wavedashing out of shield and f smashing. dash dance more than usual and of course... don't get grabbed

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
you need to learn how to punish them by wavedashing out of shield and f smashing. dash dance more than usual and of course... don't get grabbed
Wavedash OOS to Fsmash is really slow. It also isn't applicable to any match-up except perhaps Vs. Marth. Even then it's pretty limited.

In general, wavedash OOS is really a Vs. Marth specific technique. It's not really something worth learning if you don't fight Marths often.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
against falco you can dair>grab at low %. and from the grab, chain grab. when you cant follow up with a grab, uair>fsmash. but thats FD. other than that theres dtilt to fmash. and getting around the lasers invovles crouch wding. unless he can shoot the lasers lower, than u jump around them. if on platformed stages u can dtilt and follow up on a platform w/ uair>fsmash at higher%.

cf u can still uair>fsmash or dtilt>fsmash. but im also ignorant on that matchup so dont trust me on that

seikuftw

Smash Rookie
Thank you for all the advise, i was practicing last night (mainly tech chasing out of dash dance) And I actually won 46/48 matches last night ^-^

Top Bottom