• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy vs Marth

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
Make this quick

going to a tourney and marth is very annoying he is just better how can I play against him and were should I CP him

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
dont get fsmashed. just find out when he likes to fsmash and punish it. as far as CPs go, im not sure. FoD should help dtilt combos, so id say FoD.

THERE IS ALREADY A STICKIED CHARACTER MATCHUP THREAD, AND MANY QUESTION THREADS. LOOK AROUND.

ike_love

Smash Apprentice
any good CP for roy is better for marth. Perhaps the best bet is BattleF, because marth can f up the sweet-spot with recovery... on the other hand, so can you. So it's a trade off. Anyway, if you're not used to fighting marth/don't know how to fight them, go with marth/shiek. Even Neo used to do it against marth, so no shame in the game.

Also with roy vs marth...try to control the center. once you're inside try to stay inside and knock or throw him away instead of trying to go in and out. because if you run away and get tipped, it's over. WD out of shield is good too. But I suck at playing against marth, so try at your own risk.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
CP for Roy? Gross, you pedo!

anyway, Battle Field is the worst possible, because the platforms are excellent for his tippers just the right spacing. and no good marth would ever F up the sweetspt with recovery.

Telling people to use another character does not help with advice on Roy Vs. Marth. For every matchup there is you should use Marth/Sheik, because they're better for every matchup.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
... did u just tell him not to use roy? lol w.e.

yea marth can fsmash tipper people on platforms above him. which is y FoD's moving plat.s are the way to go.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
You know, it's not just about Marth's Fsmash, his Fsmash is not really that good and is not very reliable at all. it's the aerials you should worry about.

ike_love

Smash Apprentice
CP for Roy? Gross, you pedo!

anyway, Battle Field is the worst possible, because the platforms are excellent for his tippers just the right spacing. and no good marth would ever F up the sweetspt with recovery.

Telling people to use another character does not help with advice on Roy Vs. Marth. For every matchup there is you should use Marth/Sheik, because they're better for every matchup.
... did u just tell him not to use roy? lol w.e.

yea marth can fsmash tipper people on platforms above him. which is y FoD's moving plat.s are the way to go.
I wouldn't say it's the worst possible, just SD the fsmash... plus everyone know it's much harder to sweetspot on BF, so marth is more likely to go to high, which allows roy to edge-guard from the stage as opposed to off the stage ( which having no ground under you against Marth usually equals death ) I personally just don't like FoD because of the stage's sketchiness, and I make a lot of goofy CP's based on nothing technical. Truth be told FoD is probably the better pick of the two. Also, mixing up foward and back throw is good. If your opponent DI's wrong from back throw, good stuff is possible!

As far as picking a different character goes, the guy said he was going to a tourny and wanted to make it quick...ie he's not going to have time to soak in all the strategy it's going to take to win against a "good marth." A "good marth" vs a roy that isn't used to tournies is pretty much instant death, and I'm just trying to give the guy some practical tourny advise. Have a heart you guys, save this kid some $$, lol. There is no quick-tips that let a roy beat a marth. Any advise is still going to have to be practised, honestly to only way to beat a marth is to just be better at smash...period. So the kid is looking for a fast way to beat a tourny marth; being that there is no crash-course to beat marth guide ( that sounds a little catchy, actually ) I give him the next best thing... "pick so-and-so." Short, sweet, and effective, just like the author of this thread asked for.

Btw, off-topic, thanks nova for digging up that seth and exarch guide! I didn't want to start posting back in an old thread, so I figured this is as good as place as any to thank you.

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
Only other person I use is Fox and my fox isn't too great, and from what I see Marth ***** fox CG, easy to combo and gimp

SeanxFayt

Smash Cadet
NNID
xKintoUn
Switch FC
SW-5031-3151-4071
watch for errors and punish? lol iunno as i have no tourney experience either.

but pickin up sheik doesn't sound bad at all as she does decent against marth

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
if its ur first tourney, u cant expect to win. just learn as much as u can. take notes on everyones mistakes. observe ur opponent dont look at ur self.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
GGs (in theory) or FoD against Marth.

Actually if Roy dtilts Marth off the top platforms, he can combo into upb and kill Marth off the top. Getting Marth onto the top platform is tricky.

The way I envision the combo is dtilt from the ground, jump onto the platform with a fair, another dtilt and then upb.

This is a legit combo (as in the Marth would only have to make minimal mistakes to work.) I've never done it because who the heck plays on GGs? Maybe I should play a few matches against a Marth on GGs and record it so I could turn it into a sig like that one Ganon player.
------
But yea Roy vs Marth sucks... but I don't play it often.

Fsmash is good. Overb is good. You can edgeguard with counter when he's at higher %s (90+ish?)
Try to space, you're one of the few characters who can almost beat him out in that regard. Edgehog->getup->fsmash is great.

ike_love

Smash Apprentice
...oh exarch and your Fsmashes, lol! Anyway, roy can do a few people like that on GGs. And since Exarch brought up the idea of recording, why don't all of the roy's on the boards try to come up with some ideas for a "Roy tricksies" type video...just a thought.
TresChikon also brought up seizing (is "seizing" spelled right?) a comfortable position, and that pretty much means controlling the middle of the stage. This is key in the match-up, it's often tempting to stay close to the edge and try to mind-game or gimp someone out of an easy stock, but against marth it's much more dangerous, especially if your not used to the match-up.

Top Bottom