• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

RisingSunfish

Smash Rookie
I believe their amiibo situation is entirely unrelated to popularity, how iconic characters are, etc. It seems more along the lines of Nintendo liking amiibo waves and wanting to keep them going strong, Roy releasing in-game at the same time as Lucas, and trying to keep Roy/Ryu/Lucas together. After all, all three of them were shown at displays with their figures. It would make sense if they wanted to keep the next wave of DLC fighters together as amiibo when they happen, too.
Well, it's a moot point now: Roy's amiibo was confirmed today to be GameStop exclusive. Hopefully that won't impact his stock, but at least now all the "DLC 3-pack!!" rumors will be dead and buried.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'm not even an Amiibo collector (not interested in that stuff) but I think it's really stupid that they would make those things exclusives at some places. I mean really, they have problems with supplying Amiibo in general so why would they limit their resources like that? To make an extra buck from Gamestop? Just doesn't make sense to me.

Here's hoping Roy is playable in Codename S.T.E.A.M and Fates though.

Last edited:

Volga

Juggling Veteran
NNID
Saltytitan
3DS FC
0533-7336-5044
Dat Wolf Link Amiibo is very tempting to buy,but no Amiibo plans from me either. Even if Gamestop's one of the only game stores near me,don't feel like snagging one.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
I'm probably going to get the Roy Amiibo...or at least try. I've tried to get a handful of amiibo in the past before, and just completely missed the preorder window (scalpers smh), so I'm kinda pessimistic the same will happen again. :(

I'm wonder what skills would Roy has if his Amiibo works in Fates.
Counter/Ignis/Swordfaire/Axebreaker/Sol

Don't know much about the skills in Fates, just going off Awakening.

I'm not even an Amiibo collector (not interested in that stuff) but I think it's really stupid that they would make those things exclusives at some places. I mean really, they have problems with supplying Amiibo in general so why would they limit their resources like that? To make an extra buck from Gamestop? Just doesn't make sense to me.

Here's hoping Roy is playable in Codename S.T.E.A.M and Fates though.
I'm going to feel even more jewed by I.S lately if he isn't.

Here's to hoping they have an update, or the Roy amiibo itself holds the content. I can easily imagine a sick Fates portrait and unique battle stuff for him. I'll be more likely to get codename steam or Fates with that.

I don't mind buying him from a scalper if I have to, it's a mutha ****in Roy figurine.

To think Ryu and Cloud are not only in Smash but getting these kinds of figures at some point is surreal.

Last edited:

RisingSunfish

Smash Rookie
Amiibo stock has been fine lately. All the recent releases-- even exclusives-- have been abundant, and older rare characters have been restocked as well. I could walk into one of my local Best Buys and grab a literal armful of Marths if I wanted.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Still a dumb business move IMO unless said retailer is paying Nintendo a very hefty sum of money to get exclusives for their stores.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Urgh, I hate when alerts don't work...

It's disappointing to see Roy's amiibo be a Gamestop exclusive, but I'm definitely getting his amiibo. Even if I have to import it (there's a few amiibos I have my eyes on, probably gonna import them down the road). Eventually, I'd like to get the whole FE cast and 3rd parties. And now with Cloud's addition, that's one more 3rd party on my list!

whats up guys. I've never played Fire Emblem before(fingers crossed for the holidays),but i find this Roy fellow very interesting to play. maining mac made me enjoy how much i like being in someones face. heard about this guy,tried him out,and loving his kill potential. hope I can learn some future tips/tricks about him here!
Heyo, welcome aboard!~

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
I envy you all that aren't obsessed with amiibo... I've had my wallet emptied by these things. Against my better judgement though, I'm probably going to get 2-3 Roys, one for OoB, one for NIB, and one so I can commission a custom of the pink alt. Not sure about the NIB one, I just hope I don't cave. If the stock is abundant and I manage to scrape up some extra cash, I'll go with the three

Last edited:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Amiibo stock has been fine lately. All the recent releases-- even exclusives-- have been abundant, and older rare characters have been restocked as well. I could walk into one of my local Best Buys and grab a literal armful of Marths if I wanted.
If you really can walk into your local store and just buy a Marth, I envy you. Stores in my area have like, Mario, Pac-man, non-Smash amiibos, green yarn yoshi, and the new animal crossing amiibos. Though, looks like the scalper price has gone down, at least (last time I checked was a while ago, lol, when prices were still like $50 for the rarer ones). There are a couple of amiibo I've wanted as time went on (Pit, Lucina, Marth, ZSS, and Robin, mostly), and I didn't get any of them on pre-order or release date (the only one I successfully got was Palutena).

I don't really want to reward scalpers with my business, so I want to try and buy them at or close to retail price, or through a normal retail store. I'll keep an eye out for Roy, though, especially since Gamestop is one of the easier retailers to pre-order from generally.

---

People haven't told me to stop sharing Undertale things, so here's another interesting one. Here is a link to a web-based Sans fight simulator. ^_^

RisingSunfish

Smash Rookie
If you really can walk into your local store and just buy a Marth, I envy you. Stores in my area have like, Mario, Pac-man, non-Smash amiibos, green yarn yoshi, and the new animal crossing amiibos. Though, looks like the scalper price has gone down, at least (last time I checked was a while ago, lol, when prices were still like $50 for the rarer ones). There are a couple of amiibo I've wanted as time went on (Pit, Lucina, Marth, ZSS, and Robin, mostly), and I didn't get any of them on pre-order or release date (the only one I successfully got was Palutena).

I don't really want to reward scalpers with my business, so I want to try and buy them at or close to retail price, or through a normal retail store. I'll keep an eye out for Roy, though, especially since Gamestop is one of the easier retailers to pre-order from generally.
Amazon usually has Japanese imports for MSRP, or pretty close anyway. If you can't find stuff locally importing is the way to go.

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
Dammit Japan, you have to get all the cool stuff...

Anyway, I was playing some more fe 8 today (because it's portable), and... why the **** does Eirika have 5 attack... at level 11... She has an attack growth rate of 40%, yet it's gone up by 1 in 10 levels... I'm nearly as unlucky as Joshua.

Edit: I just got 9 notifications. every single one was " @GunBlaze has liked your post.", also this was a post from a month ago. @GunBlaze , did you go back and like then unlike my post from a month ago 9 times, or was this just a glitch on smashboards?
Really. Seriously?
@GunBlaze you seriously gonna take that long to like this one too? This is some kind of sick prank isn't it? You just go back, like one of my posts from weeks ago and try to mind**** me? I'm calling it now, you'll end up liking this post...but it'll be 2016.

I envy you all that aren't obsessed with amiibo... I've had my wallet emptied by these things. Against my better judgement though, I'm probably going to get 2-3 Roys, one for OoB, one for NIB, and one so I can commission a custom of the pink alt. Not sure about the NIB one, I just hope I don't cave. If the stock is abundant and I manage to scrape up some extra cash, I'll go with the three
Yeah, well you're lucky that you don't get ****ed with amiibo prices. Here in England, amiibos are around £10 - £15, which is about $15 - $23.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ugh, Roy's a Gamestop exclusive which could be good or bad. Probably bad because he's Fire Emblem and FE amiibos are never common.

Either way, I'll get him no matter what cost, even if I have to import it or buy one a little overpriced on eBay.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
You guys want Amiibo?
View attachment 83134

Not pictured: rows of Marth, Lucina, and Robin
Wow... totally not jealous.

And you reminded me that I have an aunt in Shellharbour City. She'd be the best aunt ever if she could send some Amiibos up here. :awesome:

The funny thing is, my grandmother used to send pure maple syrup to her. Like the ones that come in those large cans:

I wonder how expensive pure maple syrup in Australia is. Well, I know what I'm getting my aunt for Christmas!

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
did they sell none or something? does no one trust this vendor or is the cl...

ok i see why now
O.O mesmerizing

also, more undertale (comic strip under the spoiler tags, spoilers for undertale)

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Roy's entrance animation is now funny to me. Why? Well, what happens when there's 4 or more Roy's entering the field when a match begins: https://youtu.be/4aGHRylKqbg? Clink, clink, clink, clink. I don't know; it's just funny to me. :)

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
ROY'S OUR BOY!!!!

So how's it going? I just gotta survive this week and then Thanksgiving starts Thursday afternoon!

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388

An important announcement: if you have any snapshots featuring Roy that you would like to see on the graphic I'm making please send them to me. I would like to finish the graphic sooner than later.

That is all. :3

Roy's entrance animation is now funny to me. Why? Well, what happens when there's 4 or more Roy's entering the field when a match begins: https://youtu.be/4aGHRylKqbg? Clink, clink, clink, clink. I don't know; it's just funny to me. :)
10/10 You can never have too much Roy -- IGN

Friendly_Fire

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheFriendlyFire
Hey guys. Up until recently, I was super indecisive about who I truly mained, so much so that the group of friends I'm with used to say I mained random. Then I went to my first tournament, just this past weekend. I immediately lost my first game with Falco and was knocked into loser's bracket. With my back up against the wall and my tournament dreams seeming bleak, who else should I choose but Roy. I went on to place Top 16 out of 60+ competitors and now I know where I really belong. Looking forward to discussing with you all!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Hey guys. Up until recently, I was super indecisive about who I truly mained, so much so that the group of friends I'm with used to say I mained random. Then I went to my first tournament, just this past weekend. I immediately lost my first game with Falco and was knocked into loser's bracket. With my back up against the wall and my tournament dreams seeming bleak, who else should I choose but Roy. I went on to place Top 16 out of 60+ competitors and now I know where I really belong. Looking forward to discussing with you all!
Together We Ride

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Still a dumb business move IMO unless said retailer is paying Nintendo a very hefty sum of money to get exclusives for their stores.
That's pretty much what's happening; retailers pay Nintendo in order to have certain characters exclusive to their stores. It's only happening in the US though. Is still pretty anti-consumer, one could say that perhaps Nintendo didn't foresee how well this would sell yet they keep having exclusives for certain stores.

ArcanaXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArcanaXIII
I'm actually in the same boat right now. I don't know if I main should Dark Pit anymore cause my playstyle seems to go hand in hand with Roy.

Cr0n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
liquidbassist
3DS FC
4184-4537-7536
Oh, I didn't know you played Roy, granted, I've never played you lol.
Yea, I actually took a break from Smash 4 for about a month, came back and started playing melee along side it. Now I have really been enjoying Roy since I am playing Marth in melee and Roy is better than Marth in smash 4.

I tend to do well at most matchups, but I just cannot do Sheik.

Both of my losses in a recent WiFi bracket were against Sheik, and I felt helpless as they needle-camped, fished for grabs, ftilted me over and over, and then got free kills.

I auto-lose this MU, so meeting one in Winner's and one in Loser's is pretty discouraging, and I do not enjoy fighting this character in the slightest.

I feel like Roy can definitely do the MU, but it's pretty uphill, and I don't feel like I'm skilled enough to do that. I'm not that good with the character specifically, and I probably won't be

As much as I want Sheik deleted from the roster overnight, nerfed to being the objectively worst character in the game, dropped by everyone in the world, or whatever else, I need to adapt to this matchup and learn it since Sheik is probably going to be prevalent throughout Smash 4.

Do you guys have any tips on ways to learn the Sheik MU pretty thoroughly? Are there any characters other than Sheik who **** on Sheik, or at least don't feel helpless or feel less helpless versus her? I just want that soul-crushing feeling of running into Sheik gone.

Top Bottom