• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy Jab Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

c4p1v4r4

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4270-1365-3495
Watching some videos about Roy gameplay, I reach this video.

Looks like very useful tech but is very hard (at least for me) to do it properly. Someone have found some other way to do a jab lock?

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
It'd be closer to a Jab Reset than a Jab Lock (Bair Reset?).

I can get it to work against sheik until 24 percent in training mode, after that it's too much knockback from the Bair. DI will also be a factor, as will if the opponent techs. Definitely going to be looking into this and playing around with it when I have someone else to help with DI.

c4p1v4r4

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4270-1365-3495
I'm almost sure that is a Lock more than a Reset, cuz looks very similar to Pikachu's Jab Lock, but I am not sure myself what is the difference between then.

For what I know both of them the opponent need to miss the tech. And the only move I have found to work reseting/locking is bair, but seems like very difficult to perform consistently.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Jab Reset is hitting the opponent with a weak move (usually a jab) after they miss a tech to force a standard get up.

Jab Lock is continuing this process by jabbing them in rhythm to keep them in the state over and over. Because you're not locking them with multiple jabs, but rather forcing them to get up once, it's only a reset.

Here's what I have so far from messing around with it.

Getting the Reset is the only difficult part. After you get it, you can lead it into a Smash (generally fsmash), jab, grab, or SHFF Uair. The latter three options lead into other combos or strings, like Reset -> SHFF Uair (Hilt) -> Fsmash. Have a couple other things I'm playing around with. Some of this is practical, some of it is just flashy. Either way, this is awesome.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Jab Lock is continuing this process by jabbing them in rhythm to keep them in the state over and over. Because you're not locking them with multiple jabs, but rather forcing them to get up once, it's only a reset.
you can only do it 3 times in a row before they automatically get up, so isn't it just the same as jab reset in that case?

I've been calling them both jab locks for like a while now

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
At high level I don't see this being very useful because it relies on getting your opponent into a tumble state below about 25% (beyond that sourspot BAir stops jab locking). The only move that can efficiently do that for Roy is FThrow which the opponent can just tech and if you want to get the jab reset you have to commit to approaching with the BAir. If they tech you get punished and at high level they will tech 99% of the time.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
At high level I don't see this being very useful because it relies on getting your opponent into a tumble state below about 25% (beyond that sourspot BAir stops jab locking). The only move that can efficiently do that for Roy is FThrow which the opponent can just tech and if you want to get the jab reset you have to commit to approaching with the BAir. If they tech you get punished and at high level they will tech 99% of the time.
I don'tthink you have to commit to the bair. The timing is tight but you can do it on reaction. Its not like you can't just tech chase them either too. Its a useful setup.

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
I think I'll look into this more as well. I was already feeling as if F-throw had more set ups and combo potential then D-throw at lower percent, but this could be an easy way for roy to lead into heavy damage. If anything you can probably follow behind a tech roll with DED, or reset into a D-tilt setup.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
They don't even have to tech it. Been messing around with it and a lot of characters can nair or jump away. They aren't guaranteed to hit the ground.

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
They don't even have to tech it. Been messing around with it and a lot of characters can nair or jump away. They aren't guaranteed to hit the ground.
This is important to note. But, if they DI away most characters can't throw somethign out. So you can get them on the mixup if they think you're gonna dthrow and DI away. Also, if they don't have a disjoint or if it's smaller than Roy's, you can fair them out of their attack.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
This is important to note. But, if they DI away most characters can't throw somethign out. So you can get them on the mixup if they think you're gonna dthrow and DI away. Also, if they don't have a disjoint or if it's smaller than Roy's, you can fair them out of their attack.
Can confirm. Sheik can't act out of Dthrow before hitting the ground until around twenty percent, unless she's DI'ing up. Both neutral DI and DI'ing away benefit us, so conditioning with dthrow will be good for us, especially since the animations look similar and could confuse the opponent.

HoodsxX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NanhouDrops
3DS FC
3067-5933-7964
You guys also have to remember that fthrow into DED and Nair/Fair are true combos at low %s. Which can mix up people's tech timings. So use those as well to get people into this situation easier. Just think of it like a melee tech chase and mess with the opponents timing. Even at high level play people can flub up.

Last edited:

GdspdUblkprzdnt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GdspdUblkprzdnt
You guys also have to remember that fthrow into DED and Nair/Fair are true combos at low %s. Which can mix up people's tech timings. So use those as well to get people into this situation easier. Just think of it like a melee tech chase and mess with the opponents timing. Even at high level play people can flub up.
That was the missing key. Thanks for the heads up. Pretty potent 50/50 there.

Zio~

The Underdog
NNID
Fabri1794
3DS FC
3711-9383-8936
Even tho is not a jab lock, still a very usefull tech, nice vid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom