• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy is really bad

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
I know you guys don't think this needs reminding, but it really does. Many people here have been overrating roy based upon outdated results and info or just looking at him the wrong way. So I'm going to explain why he's among the 3 worst in the game

His useful neutral tools:
Down tilt
Side b
Fsmash
Grab
Yeah

This is so limited. The only characters that rival this lack of useful neutral tools are bowser and Kirby.

His combos are meh on fast fallers and almost non existent on everyone else.
Seriously, he can barely do anything by way of combos if your gravity is any lower than sheiks, and even then it's not pretty. This is mostly due to his only reliable starter being down tilt. This would be fine if he was almost anyone else, but his aerials are hot trash so using them after it won't lead to much...

His recovery is absolutely pathetic when someone actually goes offstage.
Even marth's recovery is considered questionable in this meta but Roy's jump is lower and he falls faster. Not great. Shine spikes are brutal.

He has absolutely no air game.
None. They're laggy so you can't land with them or string them. They're weak so they're unrewarding. You can argue that nair is useful, but it's noticeably worse than marth's and even that was considered marth's worst aerial. If you land one aerial, it's highly unlikely that you will follow up on it, and it's not all that unlikely that you may get punished or put in a poor position

His chain grab isn't even that good.
His chain grab is very hindered by how it knocks the opponent at a 97 degree angle as opposed to 93 with Marth. At a low percent all you have to do until about 30% is hold back and tech away. Roy can't reach that. At all. He also doesn't have the useful up tilt, Uair, and other aerials to extend it, or the tipper sweetspot to end it with forward smash

His mobility is his only advantage of the bottom tiers.
Yeah. That's all. His run speed isn't bad, has a great dash animation, and has a decent wavedash. But what good is mobility if all you can do out of it is a down tilt or side b?

Just wanted to bring topic down to earth again. I don't want to hate roy but I kinda can't at this point.
Yes, I always seem to beat my brother whenever I pull him out occasionally because he just doesn't figure him out. I practically just spam fsmash the whole time and it works.

He's his best at the lowest of levels but gets worse and worse as he goes up.

Oh yeah, just want to say an advantage that roy has over Marth that I found our recently: he can camp the ledge by jumping back to it for 100% invincibility
New roy tech: land one down tilt, wavedash to the ledge, camp for 8 minutes OP pls nerf

lolazerz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lolazerz
I enjoy being reminded of the teriable life choices I've made thank you. Nah for real though thanks for making this I agree with a majority of it but I could argue a few points in there. But you could always make the counter-argument :marthmelee:

NIFOFD

Smash Apprentice
The great thing about Roy is that even for the things he is good at (movement, grab range etc.) Marth is just as good if not better and converts so much harder with them. Even if Roy had some crazy untapped potential, any new advances we made would almost certainly be just as applicable to Marth.

lolazerz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lolazerz
The great thing about Roy is that even for the things he is good at (movement, grab range etc.) Marth is just as good if not better and converts so much harder with them. Even if Roy had some crazy untapped potential, any new advances we made would almost certainly be just as applicable to Marth.
I'd argue with you on everything being applicable to marth, especially the "combos" that Roy can preform. Mostly because Roy is such a fast faller.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
roy doesn't even have the best speed, especially when his best options out of a dash aren't very fast. grab comes out on 8 with the optimal JC grab, and down tilt comes out on 9 from a run since he has to crouch for 2 frames. pivot down tilt would be frame 8 as well but that's sort of limited since it's a defensive mixup.

the op forgot to mention that roy can't touch crouch cancelers without grabs

Last edited:

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
I loved playing as Roy in the SD REMIX Melee his a little different then the original melee game.

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
roy doesn't even have the best speed, especially when his best options out of a dash aren't very fast. grab comes out on 8 with the optimal JC grab, and down tilt comes out on 9 from a run since he has to crouch for 2 frames. pivot down tilt would be frame 8 as well but that's sort of limited since it's a defensive mixup.

the op forgot to mention that roy can't touch crouch cancelers without grabs
I wrote this in like 15 minutes because I was frustrated with people saying roy "isn't that bad" or is actually good or something

Top Bottom