• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy is apparently hella top tier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CassandraZD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
groosinator
3DS FC
5429-9033-2238
I dont know if this is where a thread like this goes, I suppose this will be happening a lot until I figure out how these forums work (seriously this place is confusing as hell).

So according to the fabled eventhubs.com, Roy is apparently a super duper top tier champ, being just below Rosalina and Luma, making him... second place? Is that how they're ranked? Anyways, I've been messing around with him quite a bit and can't quite figure out how he got to be at such a high rank. Am I missing something as I'm playing with him? Does he have some hidden techniques or features I'm not aware of?

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
I dont know if this is where a thread like this goes, I suppose this will be happening a lot until I figure out how these forums work (seriously this place is confusing as hell).

So according to the fabled eventhubs.com, Roy is apparently a super duper top tier champ, being just below Rosalina and Luma, making him... second place? Is that how they're ranked? Anyways, I've been messing around with him quite a bit and can't quite figure out how he got to be at such a high rank. Am I missing something as I'm playing with him? Does he have some hidden techniques or features I'm not aware of?
Eventhubs isn't an accurate display of tier placement. It's a community voted tier list, but it doesn't prioritize people that actually play the characters well and know what they're talking about.

Roy's good, but he's not that good. Characters like Rosalina, Sheik, and Pikachu still severely outclass him.

CassandraZD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
groosinator
3DS FC
5429-9033-2238
Ah, okay. I was wondering, because tierlists are really weird to me. Every time I see a character I see as weak near the top I'm like "am i just playing wrong? is there some hidden secret I'm not aware of?" for example, in melee I used to hate ness because i didnt know he could recover, so when people kept telling me he was pretty good i was like "how".

ElectricBlade

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haruhisuzumia
3DS FC
1203-9228-7596
I posted about this on r/smashboards yesterday XD I question so many choices on there
Like Luigi was almost dead last for about a year straight (how could anybody possibly think that if they knew a single thing about the character?) And How Shiek is #6

Like the guy above me said its all community voted, bandgwagons and trolls make this even more innacurate then it was before *sigh* for the the first thing that comes up on google when you search "smash 4 tier list" it sure is stupid

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Roy's probably capable of B-tier, worst case scenario C-tier. Roy's really good. He's got some pretty good MU's from what I've experienced. But he's definitely not top tier. Still too early to say. As is, he's banned from EVO so we won't have much to reference.

Never go to Eventhub. They base it off of who they lost to in the last match they played online.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Eventhubs is NOT a tier list I repeat EVENTHUBS IS NOT A TIER LIST

IT IS A POPULARITY CONTEST

Don't ever trust it.

That being said Roy is definitely not top tier. Low high tier at best, maybe next to Falcon in an actual tier list, but I'd personally put him at the top of mid tier for now.

Eggggggggggbert

Smash Apprentice
Ah, okay. I was wondering, because tierlists are really weird to me. Every time I see a character I see as weak near the top I'm like "am i just playing wrong? is there some hidden secret I'm not aware of?" for example, in melee I used to hate ness because i didnt know he could recover, so when people kept telling me he was pretty good i was like "how".
Ness is not really good (Keep in mind, I love Ness and hate to see him in his frail melee state). He has good aspects and theoretically we've reached such an apex (no pun intended) with the melee meta where characters can be optimized to a point where they're usable (an example being Amsa getting to top 8 with his revolutionary Yoshi play, destroying the tier gap concept) but from purely analytic and statistical standpoint, he's bad. Ness and even Yoshi for the sake of the arguement may have their qualities, but characters like Fox have those same qualities plus so much more. Keep in mind, comparing Melee tier lists to Smash 4 tier lists (let alone eventhubs) is silly as Melee is so much more established, and I'm willing to say a lot less balanced. Overall, Roy is definitely good. Fire Emblem sword characters have a competitive structure that I believe fits the Smash Bros series very well. The spacing and pure speed of these characters grant them a promising ceiling. If it were not for recent buffs, Roy would have been the best Fire Emblem character too.

TL;DR
Roy is good, not the best but I still feel like you're underestimating him. Don't sleep on our boy!

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Roy is definitely a monster to deal with, but not quite S-Tier. I'd say somewhere around A tier, barely missing top ten at most.

Last edited:

CanadianMegaMan

Smash Apprentice
Im not sure where exactly in a tier list I would place Roy, but hes definitely in the top 20, maybe 15.

He has plenty of speed, but still feels a little heavy because he's a fast faller. It almost feels like I'm playing an Marth-ier version of Ike. Its so satisfying when you get a point-blank fsmash near the edge and kill them in one hit from like 45%. The first time I did it in an online match, I knew Roy was going to be one of my major characters.

gameplayzero

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroBlaze
I would put him in B or C tier. Definitely not A and FOR SURE not even close to S.

He has barely any solid pokes that are somewhat safe on shield besides d-tilt (and ironically his fsmash is one the best thanks to its ridiculous shield push)

His range is terrible

And his neutral game is just....alright imo

Majority of the top tiers excel at these.

But then again I'm not a fan of how roy was changed so I haven't put too much work and testing into him unlike majority of the characters. So freely correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I'd put him in C, myself. He's basically Little Mac with a sword.

His recovery is garbage, for starters. Not only is Blazer relatively slow, it has very poor horizontal distance. Combined with how he doesn't have any other moves to assist his recovery and his high fall speed, plink him once and he's dead.

Also due to his fall speed, he's combo fodder. It's so bad I thought Pit's Dthrow was buffed. His awkward Dair isn't helping matters.

No projectile in a game where just about every good character has one, and doesn't run particularally fast to make up for it like the rest do.

And he suffers from range problems even more then Marth does, being smaller and has the lousy anti-tipper mechanic.

Zionaze

Smash Ace
If there's a tier list that puts Wario as the worst character in the game then its Eventhubs. It's a wrap

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
Never trust eventhubs. Ever. You'd find a more accurate tier list in your toilet. I know it sounds disgusting but that's honestly how bad eventhubs Sm4sh tier list is. Seriously it has Yoshi and Rosalina at Top 2 above Sheik but has Wario, Meta Knight, Olimar at low/bottom tier and Luigi/Fox hanging out with the 20's. 90% of people that vote on that tier list are from For Glory. Most of the time that list has big gap between Pit and Dark Pit....and Dark Pit is usually the one way ahead of Pit on that list. Don't even get me started on how Megaman is almost in the 30's but Link and Mewtwo are top 15 apparently.

Last edited:

sparkaura

Smash Apprentice

His recovery is garbage, for starters. Not only is Blazer relatively slow, it has very poor horizontal distance. Combined with how he doesn't have any other moves to assist his recovery and his high fall speed, plink him once and he's dead.

Also due to his fall speed, he's combo fodder. It's so bad I thought Pit's Dthrow was buffed. His awkward Dair isn't helping matters.

No projectile in a game where just about every good character has one, and doesn't run particularally fast to make up for it like the rest do.

And he suffers from range problems even more then Marth does, being smaller and has the lousy anti-tipper mechanic.
Are we playing the same character? Roy is not top tier but he's essentially C.Falcon with a sword, who is also in the upper tiers.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Are we playing the same character? Roy is not top tier but he's essentially C.Falcon with a sword, who is also in the upper tiers.
Caps has a good dashgrab and a generally safer Uspecial and an Sspecial if he needs it for recovery. Roy does not. Caps has a great uair, dair, and two effective long-distance punishes. Roy does not. Roy can't even approach from the air properly because his fair has so much startup and he falls too fast for bair to AC and still hit somebody on the ground. Roy's grounded approach is bad because his grab is meh and everything is unsafe on shield.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Caps has a good dashgrab and a generally safer Uspecial and an Sspecial if he needs it for recovery. Roy does not. Caps has a great uair, dair, and two effective long-distance punishes. Roy does not. Roy can't even approach from the air properly because his fair has so much startup and he falls too fast for bair to AC and still hit somebody on the ground. Roy's grounded approach is bad because his grab is meh and everything is unsafe on shield.
Roy has a MUCH better Up B than Falcon does. Not only can it be used as a kill move and is a simply amazing option OoS, but it also has super armour on some of its startup frames, and can be angled, making the point about Falcon's side B for recovery moot.

Roy's Fair has IASA frames, which basically means you can short hop, do fair, and be able to jump before you land and by doing that you can go unpunished sometimes.

I'm sorry but your facts are wrong and you clearly are misinformed or not experienced enough to see the difference for yourself, but Roy is definitely up there with Falcon, probably below him on the tier list though.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801

Roy is definitely better than you're making him out to be. His recovery his no where near as bad as you're expressing. 3rd best air speed in the game combined with a massively disjointed Up B that hits from frame 9 mean that he's definitely not incapable of safely coming back to the stage. Granted his recovery isn't great but one could certainly do worse.

How can you say he doesn't run particularly fast when he has the 9th fastest run speed in the game? Again, coupled with his high fall speed and high air speed he's overall one of the fastest characters in the game in terms of movement.

His range isn't as big an issue for him as it is for Marth because he's not a zoning character he's one designed to close the gap and apply pressure. Sure Roy has some weaknesses but your entire comment doesn't focus at all on and completely undermines his strengths such as his powerful movement options, high damage output, consistent and strong punish game thanks to his throws and NAir and incredibly potent kill options. Roy's tippers are also safer on shield than normal due to their reduced hitlag and also allow for some high % combos, so spacing tippers with Roy is not necessarily a bad thing.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Extremely tempted to put you on ignore

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Roy has a MUCH better Up B than Falcon does. Not only can it be used as a kill move and is a simply amazing option OoS, but it also has super armour on some of its startup frames, and can be angled, making the point about Falcon's side B for recovery moot.

Roy's Fair has IASA frames, which basically means you can short hop, do fair, and be able to jump before you land and by doing that you can go unpunished sometimes.

I'm sorry but your facts are wrong and you clearly are misinformed or not experienced enough to see the difference for yourself, but Roy is definitely up there with Falcon, probably below him on the tier list though.
Uspecial angled sideways doesn't do jack and Uspecial in general doesn't protect your back. Captain Falcon's Uspecial protects him from undisjointed attacks and Sspecial meteors.

Roy can half-heartedly try to not be punished after a Fair, but 9/10 times he will be.

Roy is definitely better than you're making him out to be. His recovery his no where near as bad as you're expressing. 3rd best air speed in the game combined with a massively disjointed Up B that hits from frame 9 mean that he's definitely not incapable of safely coming back to the stage. Granted his recovery isn't great but one could certainly do worse.

How can you say he doesn't run particularly fast when he has the 9th fastest run speed in the game? Again, coupled with his high fall speed and high air speed he's overall one of the fastest characters in the game in terms of movement.

His range isn't as big an issue for him as it is for Marth because he's not a zoning character he's one designed to close the gap and apply pressure. Sure Roy has some weaknesses but your entire comment doesn't focus at all on and completely undermines his strengths such as his powerful movement options, high damage output, consistent and strong punish game thanks to his throws and NAir and incredibly potent kill options. Roy's tippers are also safer on shield than normal due to their reduced hitlag and also allow for some high % combos, so spacing tippers with Roy is not necessarily a bad thing.
Massive disjoint, but only on the front.

That was before the data was released... 9th best running speed isn't as impressive when everybody's been pushed up. Still doesn't have any safe attacking options or a decent grab to get anything with it.

Battles aren't won on on running speed and air speed. Especially when, again, you can't do anything with them. Roy is a rushdown character who lacks any attacks to actually rush down. He gets a ton off on a hit but so do his opponents because of how easy he is to combo since he lacks a forward facing aerial with any range and speed.

Extremely tempted to put you on ignore
Then do it and quit with the worthless snark.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
There's a reason why that sites nickname is Eventscrubs. Do yourself a favor and don't waste minutes of your life with anything they have to say.
Roy is definitely a very, very, good character, but he's not top tier. He's one of those characters who's easily high tier, but not top tier by any stretch of the imagination.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Ah the old DLCvision. He's good, even great and probably top 10 at least, but is he 2? I really doubt that. He's very viable though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom