• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'd prefer if Dixie Kong was separate from Diddy Kong. Sure, Sakurai tried that idea before, but doing that would alienate some Diddy Kong players.

I must admit that a duo mechanic involving switching the lead would be a bad idea. Hell, perhaps I could be wrong and attaching Dixie Kong to Diddy Kong would prove to be a good idea. It certainly would give an healthy dose of nostalgia for the people who played DKC2.

This said, I think Dixie should be a standalone character, but I'm not exactly opposed to the idea of a duo, because it could work nicely and Sakurai likes to explore ideas he couldn't implement in previous games. For now, only time will tell.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Then you might end up being disappointed there. After all, we don't want to go the same road that Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 crossed.
Because being developed for two years at least isn't good enough, despite Melee being developed barely past a year and is still arguably better then Brawl, despite having more then double the amount of development time.

Seriously, it's kind of odd how people think a 2014 release date is impossible, despite there being clear evidence that it is perfectly possible.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Ridley takes extra development time to finish. Instead of delaying the game, adds Ridley as DLC. That would suck, but Ridley would be in the game.
Unless Sakurai pulls a Crapcom and does on disc DLC, and Ridley was already on the original roster.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Unless Sakurai pulls a Crapcom and does on disc DLC, and Ridley was already on the original roster.
That's not Sakurai. Sakurai likes making gamers feel like they're getting their money's worth in terms of content (just look at how much he crammed in previous Smash games and Kid Icarus Uprising), so I don't think he'd enjoy pocketing money for extra content.

Same goes for Nintendo. Their approach to DLC right now is clearly to expand on the game's replayability and not to make a quick buck.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
That's not Sakurai. Sakurai likes making gamers feel like they're getting their money's worth in terms of content (just look at how much he crammed in previous Smash games and Kid Icarus Uprising), so I don't think he'd enjoy pocketing money for extra content.

Same goes for Nintendo. Their approach to DLC right now is clearly to expand on the game's replayability and not to make a quick buck.
Pokemon DLC is free events.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
My new roster, didn't have any time so I just used roster maker.

View attachment 2942
No problem with this roster. In fact, I LOVE this roster. It's a tiny bit on the big side, but hey. It's plausible.

The only different thing I would do would replace Isaac with a character I would rather have, like Starfy, Ashley, Chibi-Robo, etc. I just feel it's missing that one flair, that one character. But it's my personal opinion, I love love love it.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Nah. They would remove the data from the disc. That isn't that hard to do. They probably didn't do it for Brawl because they didn't expect it to be hacked, and there is so little data there it hardly matters. The DLC would be a added data on the SD card/ hard disk drive.

This isn't like the capcom situation. They would still be developing the character after the roster.

That's quite the hypothetical situation, one that doesn't seem very likely or plausible. First, if this were the case he'd probably be one of the last characters worked on... which seems unlikely for a multitude of reasons. Another, Ridley wouldn't necessarily be a complex character, just a large one. It's not like he'd take as much development time as a transforming character, or even ICs and Olimar.

But yeah... I guess it's technically possible. And it'd be better than getting no Ridley at all.
Nintendo Power: There was a rumor at one point about Ridley being playable. Was that ever a consideration?

Sakurai: I think that would probably be pretty impossible. [Laughs] If we had put our best efforts into it, we may have been able to do it. But he might have been a little slow. Would that be all right? [Laughs]

That suggests to me that Ridley would take a large amount of development time, and is a complex character. Groose has made some good points in this regard on the Ridley thread. Which is what I think about Ridley.

And I don't see why Ridley couldn't be a low priority character add. They don't add characters in terms of priority based on popularity.

Just giving you all a scenario.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
My new roster, didn't have any time so I just used roster maker.

View attachment 2942
I swear most of us have more similar rosters than we may think. This is literally my roster except:
Black Shadow instead of Palutena
And no Pac.
Pac-Man not being in mine is just because I don't wanna see him playable. I'd be very happy with that roster nonetheless though. Also I'd just prefer to have 2 F-Zero guys over 2 KI guys. Falcon has been around too long to be snubbed of at least having hero and villain represented, regardless of how distant his gaming days are.
No problem with this roster. In fact, I LOVE this roster. It's a tiny bit on the big side, but hey. It's plausible.

The only different thing I would do would replace Isaac with a character I would rather have, like Starfy, Ashley, Chibi-Robo, etc. I just feel it's missing that one flair, that one character. But it's my personal opinion, I love love love it.
My solution? Swap out Pac-Man for one of those "flair" characters that would make the game more fun, and I'd say the roster is golden.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I see the screen like this, but the roster is at the center close up on the top 3DS screen.

You could scroll through the globe in an endless circular direction to find your characters. It also could give a nice 3d effect.
Oh well, I suppose that works out. Just not really well on the Wii U version (The 3D feel wouldn't really be the same), but that's okay I guess.
So much implications. Why don't you ask him what he meant by a Diddy/Dixie duo? Are Zelda/Shiek, Samus/ZSS, and Popo/Nana all the same? Besides, she's literally always been paired with someone in all the main series games she's appeared in.
So much implications? First of all, the only thing I "implicated" was how the Diddy and Dixie tag team would work, which can hardly be defined as "so many".

Also, is it a crime to implicate the obvious? Because when somebody suggests a Diddy + Dixie team up, nothing comes to mind other than an Ice Climber style tag team. That doesn't make her a new character, she's still a tag-on to Diddy Kong.
Because being developed for two years at least isn't good enough, despite Melee being developed barely past a year and is still arguably better then Brawl, despite having more then double the amount of development time.

Seriously, it's kind of odd how people think a 2014 release date is impossible, despite there being clear evidence that it is perfectly possible.
He was talking about a Q1 2014 release.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sakurai: I think that would probably be pretty impossible. [Laughs] If we had put our best efforts into it, we may have been able to do it. But he might have been a little slow. Would that be all right? [Laughs]
Not sure why the way Sakurai responded as if the notion of a playable Ridley in Smash is ludicrous to him. :troll:

But it is going to be difficult balancing a playable Ridley... he is incredibly fast as a boss... but he has to be slow if he is playable... a large heavyweight character with strong attacks and is is fast and can fly... a playable character like that would be incredibly broken... that's why Sakurai said Ridley have to be slow.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Changed my old Roster around a bit.

Samus does change into ZSS, I just didn't like the picture they had.
I don't see Waddle Dee, Goroh, Layton, Tetra, or Porky making it this time around. Plus cutting Lucas is begging for trouble. And Falco. I HATE when people cut Falco.
Decent roster, I know you're new here, so you'll learn as you go. Heck, I'M pretty new here myself. Props for having the guts to cut Snake though. Respect.
Oh, and also, you should add Takamaru. Just putting it out there.
EDIT: Replace Layton with Pac-Man if you need another 3rd party.

Reznor

work in progress
Not sure why the way Sakurai responded as if the notion of a playable Ridley in Smash is ludicrous to him. :troll:

But it is going to be difficult balancing a playable Ridley... he is incredibly fast as a boss... but he has to be slow if he is playable... a large heavyweight character with strong attacks and is is fast and can fly... a playable character like that would be incredibly broken... that's why Sakurai said Ridley have to be slow.
hey guys Pikachu sucks in Pokemon so he must suck in Smash

we don't know how Ridley would play so assuming he will be broken just seems stupid

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I see the screen like this, but the roster is at the center close up on the top 3DS screen.

You could scroll through the globe in an endless circular direction to find your characters. It also could give a nice 3d effect.

Team Spider-man/Venom/Blackheart all day.

Rasumii

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rasumii
Well, if they change Falco around, I would want him in. I know he's a little different than Fox, but Wolf is more unique... kind of in that sense.

I just prefer Porky to Lucas, and I think any series should have a reoccurring villain, and Porky is just written so well, he's one of my favorite villains in any game. Porky would also be more unique than Lucas. And Lucas was different than Ness too, but not all that much. I don't think he'd make the cut.

Of course this is all just opinion and personal preference. I was also surprised no one was against Chibi-robo, I thought he might get some criticism.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
Well, if they change Falco around, I would want him in. I know he's a little different than Fox, but Wolf is more unique... kind of in that sense.

I just prefer Porky to Lucas, and I think any series should have a reoccurring villain, and Porky is just written so well, he's one of my favorite villains in any game. Porky would also be more unique than Lucas. And Lucas was different than Ness too, but not all that much. I don't think he'd make the cut.

Of course this is all just opinion and personal preference. I was also surprised no one was against Chibi-robo, I thought he might get some criticism.
Falco could have Arwing.

Louie G.

Smash Hero

Listen, I agree that Wolf is more unique, but it is Falco who is a veteran, which solidifies his chances of returning. Although I believe both will return.
I prefer Porky too. If I had it my way, Porky would replace Lucas. A very overrated character, plays extremely similar to Ness. Although Lucas will likely return.
I forgot about Chibi. He could be thrown in I guess, but...

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Here's everyone's "preferred" roster, only I still predict Kawashima and a Hanafuda character.

Though one cut seems unneccessary. I couldn't fit Snake anyway.
Just note this is not my preferred roster.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
Listen, I agree that Wolf is more unique, but it is Falco who is a veteran, which solidifies his chances of returning. Although I believe both will return.
I prefer Porky too. If I had it my way, Porky would replace Lucas. A very overrated character, plays extremely similar to Ness. Although Lucas will likely return.
I forgot about Chibi. He could be thrown in I guess, but...
As a Lucas main in Brawl I can tell you that Lucas and Ness play way differently from each other, and if anything Lucas seems underrated in my eyes since everyone wants him gone.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
As a Lucas main in Brawl I can tell you that Lucas and Ness play way differently from each other, and if anything Lucas seems underrated in my eyes since everyone wants him gone.
I went from playing as Ness for a month to playing as Lucas for a little while.
Very similar, one has psychic powers, one doesn't. Similar build, stats...
Specials supposedly do the opposite of Ness'.

EDIT: Wait a sec, everyone wants him gone? No, no, no, quite the contrary.
I'm very outnumbered in this blog to the point that I feel like I'm one of the only guys who DOESN'T like Lucas.

YeppersPeppers

Smash Journeyman
Here's everyone's "preferred" roster, only I still predict Kawashima and a Hanafuda character.

I would be totally fine with this roster...EXCEPT for Kawashima. I'd replace him with someone else, but that's just me.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Decided to come back when the heat cooled down and get more of my writing done. Seems a lot of people were pissed at me for something and I always seem to be unaware of what it is and thus can't seem to understand why. So I'm just gonna try not to give in to flaming..

I'd like to point out that this New (X & Y Mega Charizard) may result in Mewtwo and Lucario's priority not being THAT far apart. So far all that has changed for Mewtwo is the movie and being the first Mega Evolution reveal. I've also come to the conclusion that if we DO get Mega Evolutions, I think Mega Mewtwo Y will be the ONLY one we end up getting as to avoid lazy final smashes and redundancy.

Who is Nintendouji, just out of curiosity. Also why not put Snake in Pac-Man's spot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom