• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
One thing is for sure, you can probably eliminate minor Nintendo characters of a popular franchise like Goombella, or Zant, or Magikarp on a roster.
Never. Goombella 4 lyfe.

You know, I still want to know everyone's opinions on retros. I still do not know which would be the best. Takamaru, Lip, or Duck Hunt Dog? I'm not sure.
In Takamaru's favour;
+ obvious moveset
+ Nintendoland and Samurai Warriors 3 appearances.
+ Related to Zelda as Kid Icarus is to Metroid.
+ Popular retro request in the west, despite his game not arriving on international shores.

Against Takamaru;
- There's many other hopeful swordsmen newcomers, and whilst YES they all could be different, Takamaru's style doesn't seem as interesting as say Shulk, Isaac or Robin's. Roy does fire swords better and is highly requested in Japan.
- Not from an internationally released game. Nintendoland and Samurai Warriors 3 helped spread his awareness a bit though.
- Swordsmen with projectiles are not unique as many pretend they are. We have those in Link, Toon Link, Pit. Again; Isaac and Robin are also newcomer options for swordsmen with obvious projectile attacks.
- Ninja magic is often bought up, but is a skill Sheik has a monopoly on already.

In Lip's favour;
+ Panel De Pon has references everywhere within Smash.
+ Could easily have a unique moveset
+ Female. Not the be all and end all, but it does seem girls are getting more notice this time.
+ A puzzler fighter could lead to stage manipulation; lots of potential

Against Lip:
- The Lip's Stick item and Kirby's trash block stone transformation could mean Lip isn't required herself to rep Panel De Pon.
- Her game was repackaged as a Yoshi game, thus she isn't known very well in the west.
- Not as likely to appeal to the male demographic as Takamaru, or the nostalgia demographic as Duck Hunt Dog.

In Duck Hunt Dog's favour:
+ Actually known the world over unlike the other two even by non gamers(Takamaru and Lip are known by hardcore West Nintendo fans). The west even got his game.
+ Can represent light gun games
+ Would most likely have a creative moveset unlike any other character.
+ People can finally hit that smug mutt. Cathartic.

Against Duck Hunt Dog:
- Less requested by the west than the other two, despite being the only one we got the game of.
- moveset is less obvious than the other two so Sakurai will have to get creative.
- Possible BS about dog abuse from PETA(who to this point have not spotted the monkey and ape abuse, but whatever)

According to Chrono's findings, which admittedly might be out of date by now;
There are very little requests in Japan for retros, but when they do it's usually for Takamaru. One more plus to Takamaru.

Don't know if that helps, but those are the arguments for and against as I see it.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Here is my roster right now and I know I will be blasted for it:

Guys on the right are Alternates.
As much as I'd love to see Layton, I can't really see him making it in, also not sure about the Pokemon Trainer getting replaced by another. Not sure about Micaiah either but I guess that's just me. :T

For the rest it looks okay I suppose.

?????????????

Smash Master
Well at first I didn't have Ike, but some people here have convinced me that he will probably be back.
On that note, I doubt Lucario and ROB will be cut either.

On top of popularity (like Ike), Lucario has the advantage of having a large role in Pokemon X&Y.

With ROB, it's harder to tell, but we have never seen a character who was the sole representation of their franchise cut before. Doesn't mean it couldn't happen now, but it's not what we've seen with Ice Climbers, Game & Watch, or Pit...thus far.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
As much as I'd love to see Layton, I can't really see him making it in, also not sure about the Pokemon Trainer getting replaced by another but I guess that's just me. :T

For the rest it looks okay I suppose.
I just feel like Sakurai saw what UMVC3 was able to do with Phoenix Wright, that it would make sense he could go and try it with Professor Layton. He is one of the less likely though, and that's why I have the alternates.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
In regards to Fire Emblem I would want to see Robin (Female) or Micaiah one of the mains from Radiant Dawn.
Here is my roster right now and I know I will be blasted for it:

Guys on the right are Alternates.
*Layton, LOL wut?
*Four FE reps, yet only 3 DKC and Kirby? Insane.
*Me no approves of random box.
*Six Mario characters just won't happen.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Never. Goombella 4 lyfe.

In Takamaru's favour;
+ obvious moveset
+ Nintendoland and Samurai Warriors 3 appearances.
+ Related to Zelda as Kid Icarus is to Metroid.
+ Popular retro request in the west, despite his game not arriving on international shores.

Against Takamaru;
- There's many other hopeful swordsmen newcomers, and whilst YES they all could be different, Takamaru's style doesn't seem as interesting as say Shulk, Isaac or Robin's. Roy does fire swords better and is highly requested in Japan.
- Not from an internationally released game. Nintendoland and Samurai Warriors 3 helped spread his awareness a bit though.
- Swordsmen with projectiles are not unique as many pretend they are. We have those in Link, Toon Link, Pit. Again; Isaac and Robin are also newcomer options for swordsmen with obvious projectile attacks.
- Ninja magic is often bought up, but is a skill Sheik has a monopoly on already.

In Lip's favour;
+ Panel De Pon has references everywhere within Smash.
+ Could easily have a unique moveset
+ Female. Not the be all and end all, but it does seem girls are getting more notice this time.
+ A puzzler fighter could lead to stage manipulation; lots of potential

Against Lip:
- The Lip's Stick item and Kirby's trash block stone transformation could mean Lip isn't required herself to rep Panel De Pon.
- Her game was repackaged as a Yoshi game, thus she isn't known very well in the west.
- Not as likely to appeal to the male demographic as Takamaru, or the nostalgia demographic as Duck Hunt Dog.

In Duck Hunt Dog's favour:
+ Actually known the world over unlike the other two even by non gamers(Takamaru and Lip are known by hardcore West Nintendo fans). The west even got his game.
+ Can represent light gun games
+ Would most likely have a creative moveset unlike any other character.
+ People can finally hit that smug mutt. Cathartic.

Against Duck Hunt Dog:
- Less requested by the west than the other two, despite being the only one we got the game of.
- moveset is less obvious than the other two so Sakurai will have to get creative.
- Possible BS about dog abuse from PETA(who to this point have not spotted the monkey and ape abuse, but whatever)

According to Chrono's findings, which admittedly might be out of date by now;
There are very little requests in Japan for retros, but when they do it's usually for Takamaru. One more plus to Takamaru.

Don't know if that helps, but those are the arguments for and against as I see it.
Interesting analysis.

Goku.

:troll:
Actually, I wouldn't mind that. Imagine people's reaction to that.

New topic:

Discuss.
Awesome choice

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I just feel like Sakurai saw what UMVC3 was able to do with Phoenix Wright, that it would make sense he could go and try it with Professor Layton. He is one of the less likely though, and that's why I have the alternates.
No offence but.... Why is Professor Layton always compared to Phoenix Wright? I mean yeah I know Layton was sorta inspired (or was it based?) on Phoenix Wright and the Ace Attorney games. Not to mention they are both in a crossover together. But unlike Phoenix, Layton has shown to be capable of fighting by himself and got quite a number of things to draw from without really having much of a need to improvise. But ah well, guess that's just me.... :/

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
No offence but.... Why is Professor Layton always compared to Phoenix Wright? I mean yeah I know Layton was sorta inspired (or was it based) on Phoenix Wright and the Ace Attorney games. Not to mention they are both in a crossover together. But unlike Phoenix, Layton has shown to be capable of fighting by himself and got quite a number of things to draw from without really having much of a need to improvice. But ah well, guess that's just me.... :/
I see what you mean. It's just that Layton and Phoenix both come from obscure and pretty original styles of games. Honestly, I rather see Phoenix Wright but I know Megaman killed his chances. Also, I just feel like both of them would have a wacky kind of moveset. That would be the main reason I would kind of label them together.

D

Deleted member

On the subject of Diddy/Dixie, I would want to see it in action before I pass judgment.

deebeethedeity

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1306-6746-5618
Assist in Brawl doesn't mean as much as you think.
And yes, he's a clone, but some people like Falcondorf, so this way we keep him (technically) and we get the long needed completely original Ganondorf.
.......But I like him with warlock punch :(

Also heres my roster. Not really a ssb4 roster more like an ideal, dream roster. Heck better suits a ssb5 roster instead of 4.
downloadfile.jpeg

For a good ssb4 roster, I'd take out geno, maybe bowser jr., the new series rep, new kirby rep, blaziken, greninja, new zelda rep

Also couldnt find a non cg pic of lucas lol (incase you didnt catch it all pics are art or drawn)

Hakkun is another possiblity over lip. Put dixie in cause everyone expects her. I personally dont want her. Same with little mac

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I see what you mean. It's just that Layton and Phoenix both come from obscure and pretty original styles of games. Honestly, I rather see Phoenix Wright but I know Megaman killed his chances. Also, I just feel like both of them would have a wacky kind of moveset. That would be the main reason I would kind of label them together.
Well I suppose so, I guess Sakurai could always base his moveset on the various puzzles he solved throughout the series instead of the things he did during the games cutscenes but yeah.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
As was stated. Layton is third party, so if he does make it in, it would most likely be due to request from his own creator or fan demand Which he... Kinda lacks a little..... At least compared to Sonic and Megaman...

Not just for the lols.

?????????????

Smash Master
I highly doubt Professor Layton will be playable purely from the standpoint that he IS third party, and that I do not think he has the same kind of "legendary" status as Mega Man, Sonic, or Snake. However, he is NOT an undesirable character.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Why would anyone in their right mind cut Mario?
Those who main Dr. Mario would... :rolleyes:

Even if they DID team up, what would Dixie add? Flying with her hair? Diddy already has a jetpack!
Yes, but Diddy Kong doesn't use his jetpack to float around in Smash like he does in the new DKC games... that jetpack is used primarily for recovery special. Dixie Kong uses her hair to float around and that most likely isn't going to be used only for recovery special... imagine holding down the jump button to keep Dixie afloat while you use the control stick with the A button to do aerial combos and juggle enemies and then finish off the enemy with her recovery special and then she floats back to the stage.

?????????????

Smash Master
Yes, but Diddy Kong doesn't use his jetpack to float around in Smash like he does in the new DKC games... that jetpack is used primarily for recovery special. Dixie Kong uses her hair to float around and that most likely isn't going to be used only for recovery special... imagine holding down the jump button to keep Dixie afloat while you use the control stick with the A button to do aerial combos and juggle enemies and then finish off the enemy with her recovery special and then she floats back to the stage.
That would be cool. However...

If Diddy doesn't use his jetpack in SSB the same way he uses it in DK games, what guarantee is there that Dixie will?

Cpt.

Smash Lord

Also heres my roster. Not really a ssb4 roster more like an ideal, dream roster. Heck better suits a ssb5 roster instead of 4.
View attachment 7300
For a good ssb4 roster, I'd take out geno, maybe bowser jr., the new series rep, new kirby rep, blaziken, greninja, new zelda rep

Also couldnt find a non cg pic of lucas lol (incase you didnt catch it all pics are art or drawn)

Hakkun is another possiblity over lip. Put dixie in cause everyone expects her. I personally dont want her. Same with little mac
10/Greninja

but then blaza-chicken Y do you ruin my likes of ur list?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Never gonna happen... Skull Kid is an Assist Trophy... :troll:

Also, if you like Ganondorf with Warlock Punch... then make it his new Smash Side+A move so he can have a new Neutral Special move. Problem solved. :awesome:

Also, looking at the Mario roster... I don't like the idea of it consisting of two plumbers, two princesses, and two turtles... gimme variety... gimme Toad. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom