• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rosalina without the Luma? Better or worst?

nintenerd

Smash Rookie
NNID
rockpinkgirl
3DS FC
2277-7145-7916
I've heard consecutively and numerously that Rosalina is useless without the Luma. Although the Luma is an auxiliary for Rosalina, I do not concur that she is weak without it. What are your viewpoints?

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Without Luma, Rosalina loses a lot of kill power, pressure, and safety. There's really no way around that. Rosalina is not helpless without Luma by any means, but she can't really approach, she's down two specials (unless you count the windbox when she waves her wand for neutral special), can't take advantage of what amounts to a free disjoint on literally everything, can't sandwich the opponent between the two of them, can't hope for a stray hit to free her from a grab or combo, and loses the half of her character that has the knockback power.

I mean, her fastest move is dtilt at frame 5. That doesn't inspire confidence in her CQC defensive tools.

Nadeko Sengoku

Nadeko da yo!
I agree with paranoid drone, if you try to fight with just Rosalina vs a competent player playing as any good character, you will most likely lose. She's not useless on her own but there's a reason why it's Rosalina and Luma and not just Rosalina. Sure she has good tools but they aren't good enough on her own. If you don't believe me go to any regional/national/international tournament and try to place top 10 with just Rosalina, Luma is essential to her victory since it can cover her huge flaws, for the most part.

EDIT: SORRY IF THE POST SOUNDS RUDE, ITS NOT MY INTENTION BUT SHE NEEDS PLUSHY STAR OF ADORABLENESS

Last edited:

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
SoloRosalina is probably the very worst "character" in the game, by a significant margin.
She's good at biding time for Luma to respawn and that's about it.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Rosalina isn't completely helpless without the Luma, but her approach options become very limited in that she is only able to do close combat fighting; something that she doesn't excel at very well on her own.

Anyway, while Rosalina can always bide her time against the more sluggish fighters, the highly mobile fighters can be just too quick for her to regroup.

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
SoRo is full of 30:70 matchups. VS top tiers it becomes mostly 20:80. Versus Captain Falcon.... it's unwinnable.... No she's not a good character on her own.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I seriously disagree with the notion that she cannot go head to head with other characters without Luma. I do it all the time, it's one of the things I've gone out of my way to practice, since everyone expects Rosalina to start running away when Luma is gone. In fact, I often send Luma off to the side, away from my fight with my opponent, even when he's still OK, to save him getting it in my scuffle and being KO'd off the edge or losing a lot of health, in the event I mess up and get hit. Basically, I don't overuse Luma, I use him when I need him or think I can strongly benefit from him. Learning this tactic increases Luma's longevity, and means I pretty much always have him handy for when he's really gonna give me an edge.

But I know how close minded and cowardly Rosalina's meta and player base has become so I'm really not gonna bother giving much more info or arguing over it. If others want to believe SoRo is low tier/nonviable, that's fine. All the more suckers for me to surprise when I eventually start playing in tournaments, I say! :V

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Shes not strong on her own, Jab is frame 7 withouth luma if i recall correcly, and thats something other chars generally use for a safe pokingtool. well for her without luma it doesnt even get rid of pressure.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The finishing move for Rosalina's multi-hit combo does deliver a decent amount of knockback, though the knockback did get reduced on the 1.0.8 update.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The finishing move for Rosalina's multi-hit combo does deliver a decent amount of knockback, though the knockback did get reduced on the 1.0.8 update.
It's still enough to KO Falco at 90% around the edge of the stage.

I can't recall the percent I had when I did that, but I did that recently, after the nerf happened.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Personally, I still take the risk of fighting my opponents without Luma. Unlike most Rosalina users out there, I don't run away or play defensively for the whole 13 seconds like an idiot. Plus, I've made a decent amount of progress doing this.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Personally, I still take the risk of fighting my opponents without Luma. Unlike most Rosalina users out there, I don't run away or play defensively for the whole 13 seconds like an idiot. Plus, I've made a decent amount of progress doing this.
I find it better to try and fight them because running away is time that could be spent tacking on some extra damage for Luma's return. If I can, I also try to get U-air, D-air, and F-air KOs with just Rosalina too.

You really just need to learn how to space SoRo's attacks and make some strings and combos with her, and your fine. Plus, stalling with her grab and powerful throws is always an option.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I find it better to try and fight them because running away is time that could be spent tacking on some extra damage for Luma's return. If I can, I also try to get U-air, D-air, and F-air KOs with just Rosalina too.

You really just need to learn how to space SoRo's attacks and make some strings and combos with her, and your fine. Plus, stalling with her grab and powerful throws is always an option.
I know that. That's what I've been doing since Day 1. :)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've been pretty hesitant about fighting directly without the Luma, unless my opponents do something that could get them punished; for an example, catching Ganondorf using Wizard's Foot. Truthfully, I really haven't done much, if any matches against other players, since I'm not really a For Glory player, and online tends to suffer from lag that can heavily delay your button inputs.

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
I think Solo Rosalina is good enough.

Sure, she loses a LOT of killpower and range (especially with her up aerial attacks) but her solid throws and hitboxes bide the time decently until Luma shows up 13 seconds later.

Although she's floatly, she can live for a moderately long time thanks to her recovery.

murdey

Smash Rookie
I think Solo Rosalina is good enough.

Sure, she loses a LOT of killpower and range (especially with her up aerial attacks) but her solid throws and hitboxes bide the time decently until Luma shows up 13 seconds later.

Although she's floatly, she can live for a moderately long time thanks to her recovery.
I agree, but that's why characters with moves like MK's make it such a pain, you end up alone the whole time

C3CC

Smash Lord
Every time someone calls her "SoRo" a poor, little, innocent Luma dies, guys. Please stop this cruelty.

Rosalina is just fine on her own. She's just obviously not as great as she is when she has Luma, but hey, that's the whole purpose of them. They're called "Rosalina AND Luma" for a reason. As for myself, I've gotten quite a decent amount of kills by using Rosalina on her own. That Forward Air, tho. Killing with that feels awesome!

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
TLDR; She sucks without Luma. Stop lying to yourselves people. Luma is the threat, not Rosalina.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
TLDR; She sucks without Luma. Stop lying to yourselves people. Luma is the threat, not Rosalina.
Rosalina is still usable without the Luma. You'd just have to improvise your strategy a bit while waiting for the next Luma to appear.

Also, not every fighter is able to take advantage of solo Rosalina's limited combat options, as she can potentially resort to a bait & punish playstyle at will.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Tha<ts not true, her grabcombos even (the most basic thing) becomes unviable, she is really bad without luma, the thing shes got is decent tilts and thats it.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Rosalina is still usable without the Luma. You'd just have to improvise your strategy a bit while waiting for the next Luma to appear.

Also, not every fighter is able to take advantage of solo Rosalina's limited combat options, as she can potentially resort to a bait & punish playstyle at will.
Yeah of course you can still use her, she has grabs, tilts, smashes, & aerials but the latter is rather unsafe. Of course you can use her, but she isn't very good without Luma. Of course I make it work without Luma.
Seeing posts like this is how I separate the boys from the men in Rosalina mains.
I am a men when it comes to Rosalina. I've improved a ton with her over the past year & I was the one to show Dabuz about the Luma spin infinite trick at Apex when it wasn't even popular at the time. Tipped Off 11 is this weekend & I'm hoping it can be my breakout tournament.

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
Yeah of course you can still use her, she has grabs, tilts, smashes, & aerials but the latter is rather unsafe. Of course you can use her, but she isn't very good without Luma. Of course I make it work without Luma.
I am a men when it comes to Rosalina. I've improved a ton with her over the past year & I was the one to show Dabuz about the Luma spin infinite trick at Apex when it wasn't even popular at the time. Tipped Off 11 is this weekend & I'm hoping it can be my breakout tournament.
Spin infinite trick? You mean where luma jabs and rosa can do other stuff?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
She is good without Luma, you just have to know what you're doing.

She's one of the best characters in the game with Luma, but still quite good without him (especially since you only need do that for 13 seconds). You still have hitboxes for days, great range, some powerful moves (Rosalina's U-air is the main KO move between the two U-airs), and high priority moves like dash attack. It's also easier to spike without Luma stuck to you.

Bill cipher3

Smash Cadet
Tha<ts not true, her grabcombos even (the most basic thing) becomes unviable, she is really bad without luma, the thing shes got is decent tilts and thats it.
Sure her combos are bad but she still has some good things for holding them off til those 13 seconds are up. some good holder offers are her forward / back throw and the rapid jab ( if you get all hits that are "true" then you hold them off for about 3 seconds ). Also you should change the tilt we all know she is bad without luma you should change the tilte to something like "We all know Rosalina is worse without the luma but how much worse" or something. ( not trying to be mean fyi. )

Last edited:

What is Smash?

Smash Rookie
Absolute trash. Little approach, slow, laggy moves, light, tall... She's be just as bad if not worse than Samus.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Absolute trash. Little approach, slow, laggy moves, light, tall... She's be just as bad if not worse than Samus.
You probably need to use Rosalina better if you're not taking advantage of her stronger attack options. Also, the bait & punish option is there for her if needed.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Rosalina is decent on her own at best, but if she goes up against good players as :4mario:,:4pikachu:,:4metaknight:,:4yoshi:,:4zss:,:4metaknight:,:4falcon:,:4fox:,:4diddy:, and:4sheik:, then she's in trouble. She going to get pressured badly, combed, juggled more because without Luma, its harder to land safely, easier to grab like any other character, has a harder time dealing with rushdown characters in her face, and gets killed easily with little protection. Her ko options and range are cut in half with Luma gone, moveset with Luma is worse and left only with f-tile, d-tile, n-air, and down-smash if used correctly with spacing and zoning, her landing options get worse without Luma, and has to turn to GP or power-shield, and her approaches don't turn out well. Mix-ups, bait & punish, and zoning are her best bet on the table, but against rushdown fighters with good players, its hard for Rosalina to deal with alone.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
Rosalina by herself is pretty bad. She's good at waiting out time to get the Luma back, but can't kill, combo, or approach. Maybe worst character in the game? IDK, something bad.

Zalezus

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zal3zus
Hi guys! This thread is a little dusty but I'm going to weigh in.

Rosalina without Luma is totally a thing, and the people who don't believe it need only to refer to Melee and Brawl SoPo to really understand that the second partner is an augmentation to the base character. People who sleep on SoRo should lose stocks.

What I think everyone is getting bent out of shape about is how really freaking tall Rosa is. In the air she's a big target, on the ground she could get hit by low aerials and other awesome disjoints. Counter this...by crouching and hurtbox shifting! Her Fair and Bair drastically changes her body's orientation and WILL cause precisely spaced attacks to whiff. The bait argument is also really solid in combination with her really good dash grab.

Someone said it before: while you only need to sustain this kind of play for 13 seconds being able to function without Luma being a braindead bodyshield will not only throw your opponent off (who will likely be expecting heavy Luma presence) but will also keep Luma in play for a longer average over the course of the game and the set overall.

I also like to keep Luma's kill power fresh; utilt KO's are hilarious.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
Except Melee & Brawl SoPo is pretty bad.

SoRo is much better. Fair is not a good idea, Bair is an ok idea sometimes. Crouching is part of my main SoRo game personally.
I suggest just poking at the opponent. Safely placed Dairs (autocancelled), Jabs, and maybe Dtilt/Ftilt. Rosa Nair is fairly weak and goes above alot of characters so I wouldn't suggest it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom